Author Topic: FAU Postgame  (Read 2015 times)

Colorado49er

• Freshman
on: February 02, 2017, 09:11:19 pm
Losing a home game to FAU after blowing a 17 point lead is a backbreaker.  Our defense was awful giving up all the uncontested drives to the basket.

I cannot count how many gimme shots we missed around the basket.  Vanhook missed many of them - mostly before his injury.

Davis was good except for the five turnovers.  We should have called time out to take the last shot.

The second half collapse was similar to USC-Upstate.  Hard to keep watching but I have been a fan since 1970.

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:24:37 pm
I just don't have words. 17pt lead with 10 mins to go in the 1st half then the wheels fall off. Very, very disappointing is an under statement.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:25:15 pm
Summary: Lost to #319 rpi FAU at home... with a upper level curtain pulled down.

NinerUpNorth

• Sophomore
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:26:21 pm
I'm really struggling to find reasons to be optimistic. Or care. Ugh

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 09:26:47 pm
Curtain was a malfunction told by a sports marketing guy who is pretty in the know and a media relations guy that it is broken and won't raise up. Should be gone before Saturday game is what I was told. Both guys would've told me if it was for lack of attendance.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 09:30:38 pm
The glare from the curtain killed us.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 09:38:55 pm
That was FLAT OUT, SUCK ASS.  >:D
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018
Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 09:51:49 pm
I have to be honest. They show that video of great Niner moments of the pass and I wonder if we'll ever get back to those days.

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 10:06:05 pm
I try not to get really angry after bad losses. But I just shrugged after this one, which was more depressing once I realized I've come to expect awful losses.

Price needs to be on the hot seat next year. He's got a year to fix this. There is no excuse for this bad of a season in this bad of a conference.  He needs to show some kind of progress, and I'm not sure how he can unless he has some big time post defenders hidden up his sleeve. 

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 10:33:49 pm
For Price's sake he better be putting together a very good class next year or I don't see him surviving after year 3 with this kind of record.
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

emf

• Senior
Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 11:12:47 pm
For Price's sake he better be putting together a very good class next year or I don't see him surviving after year 3 with this kind of record.
His daughter is on staff now, which in the #family means he's a Made Man and can't be whacked.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 11:13:55 pm
Losing a home game to FAU after blowing a 17 point lead is a backbreaker.  Our defense was awful giving up all the uncontested drives to the basket.

I cannot count how many gimme shots we missed around the basket.  Vanhook missed many of them - mostly before his injury.

Davis was good except for the five turnovers.  We should have called time out to take the last shot.

The second half collapse was similar to USC-Upstate.  Hard to keep watching but I have been a fan since 1970.
If you are talking about taking a time out to set up the last shot after the FAU guy missed the front end of the 1 and 1, we did not have any more time outs.

This team is just really bad. Defense is not good and our offensive sets seem to be all 1 on 1.

Colorado49er

• Freshman
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 12:25:36 am
By last shot, I meant the previous possession where Davis took the contested three.  A timeout may have set us up for a better shot.

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 07:25:08 am
How do you like me now ?!?!?!?!?!?!?   ;D
                                -Bobby Lutz

cltniners

Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 07:36:23 am
clt says size king price needs to play beans more minutes.

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 07:45:14 am
Poor coaching on the last free throw that FAU missed.  All the players should have known exactly where to go and do once the free throw was missed.  Garvin should have had an outlet pass to half court for someone to take 2 dribble to shoot a decent shoot.  This situations should be gone over in practice all the time.  When I was in high school 25 yrs ago we knew what to do based off the time left on the clock since we practiced game situations weekly.

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 07:55:19 am
This is, by a healthy gap, the worst Niner team as far back as KenPom data goes (2002), and quite possibly the worst since Jeff Mullins was hired.     

We have no way to score when we cool off from outside the arc, we have no ability to keep the other team from penetrating the paint, in man-to-man or zone. 

If we're lucky (we're not), some NBA team with a bad jump-shooter will wave some money at Price and he'll bite.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 07:58:41 am
We would have been better off if Vanhook would have been booted for the season after throwing those punches. The guy is a turnover machine with poor ball handling skills and has butterfingers when it comes to holding on to rebounds. Price loves playing him for some reason.

Addition by subtraction with BO and Vanhook gone after this season.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 08:05:27 am
When I was in high school 25 yrs ago we knew what to do based off the time left on the clock since we practiced game situations weekly.

Yep.  And when I was in high school OVER 40 years ago we had to play good defense and box out for rebounds or we did not play.  One of our defensive highlights last night was the "free throw defense" that caused them to miss their last free throw attempt.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:19:25 am by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 09:07:51 am

chidave

• Junior
Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 10:19:38 am
Taking the TO before the second free throw attempt was killer as well. I would have loved to have the TO when Garvin got the rebound. You could also feel it too, as soon as they started to cut into our first half lead. We were like a boxer who scored an early knockdown but was swinging and missing the bombs afterward.

Bummer of a night, with the curtain down the hex was in full force.

gamer

• Senior
Reply #21 on: February 03, 2017, 10:56:14 am
How do you like me now ?!?!?!?!?!?!?   ;D
                                -Bobby Lutz

Whatcha doing now, Bobby?
The greatest boon in the popularity of Chapel Hill sports was the advent of cash registers that automatically figure change.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #22 on: February 03, 2017, 11:34:17 am
Poor coaching on the last free throw that FAU missed.  All the players should have known exactly where to go and do once the free throw was missed.  Garvin should have had an outlet pass to half court for someone to take 2 dribble to shoot a decent shoot.  This situations should be gone over in practice all the time.  When I was in high school 25 yrs ago we knew what to do based off the time left on the clock since we practiced game situations weekly.
Don't attend team practices. Do know that players don't always do what they are told, even when they are told many times. IMO, FAU also messed up on that free throw. They should have had their other 4 players out of the lane and back at half court to defend. With no time out and so little time, there aren't a lot of plays to run that will get a decent shot. Kind of like third down and 35 yards to go.

The game was not lost on that last possession, but on the many, many bad possessions preceding.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 11:36:19 am
We would have been better off if Vanhook would have been booted for the season after throwing those punches. The guy is a turnover machine with poor ball handling skills and has butterfingers when it comes to holding on to rebounds. Price loves playing him for some reason.

Addition by subtraction with BO and Vanhook gone after this season.
Very sorry to have to agree. Hard to watch guys fail.

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 11:38:51 am
He got another T last night, but it was a double T so no free throws.  I was yelling at him to go sit on the bench.  He is on the edge every game and it is awful.  I hope he is not like that in life outside of basketball.

I notice that White seemed to have a much better attitude last night so I hope it was a growing experience for him.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos