Author Topic: Marshall Postgame  (Read 5301 times)

Colorado49er

• Freshman
on: February 26, 2017, 11:32:35 am
I was actually encouraged by some things yesterday.

Positives

White had a solid game.  It was one of his better recent efforts.  I think the preseason foot surgery took away something from him this year.  Next season, White may take his game to another level.

Vanhook missed a couple of bunny layups but other than that he was outstanding. It looked like he wanted to have his last home game be memorable.

QJ played one of his better games in a while.  Had a lot of energy and was making shots.   Maybe he has overcome the freshman wall.

The first half defense was pretty good - especially when we erased the 14 point deficit.

Negatives

Ogbueze had another one of his disappearing acts.  He played 33 minutes and barely made an impact.

We were out rebounded by 14 and gave up a lot of second chance points.  Much of it was out lack of height but the blocking out was not good.

The second half defense was porous.  We gave up too many drives to the basket.

Davis put up good stats but did not make the key shots/plays down the stretch.  The ball movement got much worse in the second half.  Part of that was on him.

Overall, I do think we have some building blocks for next season with Davis, White, QJ and Ajukwa.  We just need more height and depth.  Price has to bring in some serviceable bigs or the mediocrity will continue.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:40:04 am
Mediocrity? I'd love to be mediocre right now.

I view mediocre as a team with a winning record that has no signature wins.

We are a bad team. The worst I've seen in 12 years of watching niner basketball.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:05:53 pm
Overall, I do think we have some building blocks for next season with Davis, White, QJ and Ajukwa.  We just need more height and depth.  Price has to bring in some serviceable bigs or the mediocrity will continue.
This is pretty much all that needs to be said after every game this season.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 12:36:18 pm

We are a bad team. The worst I've seen in 12 years of watching niner basketball.

Jon Davis is the best player to wear a Niner uniform in the last 12 years. Add some serviceable big men and we would be top four in the conference.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 12:52:34 pm

Jon Davis is the best player to wear a Niner uniform in the last 12 years. Add some serviceable big men and we would be top four in the conference.

agree. if we add one good big and a solid backup, we could be an impressive team. i know immanuel bates was at the game last night. id love to land him.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 01:14:47 pm
We are not good... nor are we terribly close to being even CUSA good.

Our talent is lacking, even for a terrible CUSA..We are MANY pieces away from being good in the 24th best league in the country.. I'm not sure which part of that is more embarrassing.

Our execution is poor. We still struggle with some of the most basic fundamentals... watch this team attempt to play D.. not good

Our recruiting is.... well, non existent. Following guys on Twitter is great.. but close the deal on a kid for crying out loud.

I didn't think it possible, but we are in much worse shape as a program than we were after Alan Majors 2nd season. We need Price and staff to flip the switch soon.

The part that really kills me is there is not one thing going on with this program that excites me, or even gives me a glimmer of hope.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 01:26:33 pm

Our talent is lacking, even for a terrible CUSA..We are MANY pieces away from being good in the 24th best league in the country.. I'm not sure which part of that is more embarrassing.

Our execution is poor. We still struggle with some of the most basic fundamentals... watch this team attempt to play D.. not good

Our recruiting is.... well, non existent. Following guys on Twitter is great.. but close the deal on a kid for crying out loud.

I didn't think it possible, but we are in much worse shape as a program than we were after Alan Majors 2nd season. We need Price and staff to flip the switch soon.

The part that really kills me is there is not one thing going on with this program that excites me, or even gives me a glimmer of hope.

we have a good core but we lack an inside game. it doesnt take a lot to go from 10th. to first in the conference. davis is the best player in the league, imo and white and ajukwa are solid. we are one good big from being contenders.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 01:41:05 pm

we have a good core but we lack an inside game. it doesnt take a lot to go from 10th. to first in the conference. davis is the best player in the league, imo and white and ajukwa are solid. we are one good big from being contenders.
we had a good big last year, a better Braxton, a better white, and a Scott that was better as a freshman than qj has been. We still weren't close to being contenders. Davis is better this year, but his scoring gains are more than negated by the fall of Braxton and white and the losses of joe and Scott.

We need a lot more than one good big to turn this manure cart around.

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 01:45:59 pm

i agree - I also think Major had the benefit of Bobby's players sticking around.  I understand why they let Major's players go, but think it would have been good for the program to keep them around 1 season. 
Mahna Mahna

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 02:24:35 pm

i agree - I also think Major had the benefit of Bobby's players sticking around.  I understand why they let Major's players go, but think it would have been good for the program to keep them around 1 season.
Had we forced them to stay and price had 1.5 classes to recruit, our bigs this season would still be Aube and Benas.

Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 02:26:55 pm

Had we forced them to stay and price had 1.5 classes to recruit, our bigs this season would still be Aube and Benas.

Question is with more talent on the roster could he have landed some bigs. 
Mahna Mahna

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 03:03:58 pm

we had no issues with guard talent last year.  He still failed.

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #12 on: February 26, 2017, 03:13:10 pm

I am certainly not saying that he would have landed anything great, but keeping Dorn and Woods his first season could have been a better record adn that may have helped.  Hell keeping both of them might have helped him keep izundu.  It is all hypothetical anyway, just saying that Major was given a foundation, Price had to rebuild his and I am sure that didn't help recruit big men. 
Mahna Mahna

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #13 on: February 26, 2017, 03:31:38 pm

Ajukwa has quickly turned into a significant piece of this team.  He can shoot from the outside, he can handle the ball, he can slash inside for shots and rebounds, and he shows up every game.  I have to remember that he has only been playing for us since the first of the year and he might get better.

White is a good shooter and a pretty good rebounder in some games.  In others he disappears.  We need better consistency out of him, or we need someone that can sit him on the bench for those games when he is just off.  Right now we have to play him regardless.

Jackson is a freshman and he plays like a freshman.  It will be to his advantage that he got so many minutes this year, and hopefully to ours too.  He is an athlete and once he gets his basketball IQ to catch up I think he is going to be really good.  I am looking forward to his sophomore season.

Najee Garvin has improved over the season and that is about all we can ask from a freshman.  He gets more minutes than fouls now, and rebounds too.  I hope this summer he will work hard to develop a mid-range jumper and learn how to stay in front of his man.  Adding 20 lbs of muscle would make him a force.

Chuck Norris couldn't stop Jon Davis.  I sure hope he is here next year.  Without him we are sunk.

So that is it.  Probably three games left this season and we need some magic to be a mid-conference team next season (5-7).  By my count we have two solid players coming back, maybe a third.  Then we have two decent off-the-bench players.  Everybody else is filler.  I would trade our 4-13 players for anyone else's in all of Div I 75% of the time.  And our assistant coaches too.  Not really a ringing endorsement.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #14 on: February 26, 2017, 03:55:16 pm

he had a team full of all new players. not really a good indicator and the player improved over the course of the season.

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 03:59:12 pm
if you look at the preseason thread the general thoughts were we would win 17-20 games this year, maybe more.

We have 12 wins counting Newberry and 2 games to go in the regular season. 

I remember in the SB at that time thinking we'd finish 8-9th, assuming we were top level of the bottom half of the conference, and got plenty of "no way" type responses.  We're tied for 10th....

If one thing is consistent at charlotte it's disappointment.

Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 04:13:25 pm
he had a team full of all new players. not really a good indicator and the player improved over the course of the season.
Not sure if this is what you meant, but I don't think the team improved all that much towards the end of the season relative to what other teams typically do. They were better than at the start, but that's not saying much given what a mess the team was at the beginning before Uchebo started playing big minutes. After Uchebo started playing more, it's really hard to say whether the team got much better given the schedule got a lot easier in conference. We were lucky Uchebo held up way better than expected.

What's ridiculous is that the team looks worse now than at the beginning of the season this year, and the schedule is even easier, given how bad CUSA is this year.  I think the weakness of the conference is making it seem better than it is (and that is saying something).

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #17 on: February 26, 2017, 05:17:49 pm
I know it is popular on this board to crap all over CUSA basketball but I've watched many of the games this season and there are some talented players in the conference and teams that are playing more competitive basketball. The middle of the conference has gotten better (see Marshall and Rice). The non-conference record wasn't pretty but the truth is most P5 teams won't come play in CUSA arenas. It is hard to win on the road in college basketball period. The Big East and the A10 benefit some from geography because they are in higher density areas and are closer to better basketball programs thus can schedule a few more higher profile non-conference games at home. I'm not trying to put lipstick on a pig but CUSA basketball isn't as horrible as some make it out to be. The 2016-2017 hasn't been great for any mid-major conference.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 05:29:16 pm
I know it is popular on this board to crap all over CUSA basketball but I've watched many of the games this season and there are some talented players in the conference and teams that are playing more competitive basketball. The middle of the conference has gotten better (see Marshall and Rice). The non-conference record wasn't pretty but the truth is most P5 teams won't come play in CUSA arenas. It is hard to win on the road in college basketball period. The Big East and the A10 benefit some from geography because they are in higher density areas and are closer to better basketball programs thus can schedule a few more higher profile non-conference games at home. I'm not trying to put lipstick on a pig but CUSA basketball isn't as horrible as some make it out to be. The 2016-2017 hasn't been great for any mid-major conference.

The 24th RPI ranking wasn't just assigned, it was earned.. CUSA is a really terrible hoops league by virtually measurable you can find.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 05:47:07 pm

The 24th RPI ranking wasn't just assigned, it was earned.. CUSA is a really terrible hoops league by virtually measurable you can find.

The RPI is overrated the CUSA product is improving.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 05:52:43 pm
the sun belt has basically the same geography of CUSA and last I checked they were a top 15 conference. Not sure where they ended up but they were in the 11-13 range near the end of OOC play.

Every conference has some good players. If you took the top players from each conference and formed and all Star team, most of those teams would be pretty competitive with the best teams in the country. CUSA teams largely have little depth and the bottom third of the conference isnt just bad, it is atrocious.

I remember thinking cusa could be decent with Uab, odu, utep, WKU, Charlotte, and MT...But I was wrong. I don't see it getting much better with such a terrible TV deal either.

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #21 on: February 26, 2017, 05:53:36 pm

C-USA is 20th in in KenPom! See, its not as bad as we thought!

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 05:54:15 pm

make sure you let the selection committee know so they stop using the RPI as one of the primary metrics for choosing at large teams.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 05:55:42 pm

Whether we are in the 24th, 23rd, or even the 19th or 18th ranked conference doesn't mean s*** when we finish in the lower half of the conference.  The bottom line is we suck.  I doubt there is much difference in us and the 10th place team in the 22nd ranked conference or the 10th place team in the 26th ranked conference, whoever they might be.  They suck too, just like us. 

We are one of the reasons our conference rpi is as bad as it is.

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 06:05:22 pm
I was actually encouraged by some things yesterday.

Positives

White had a solid game.  It was one of his better recent efforts.  I think the preseason foot surgery took away something from him this year.  Next season, White may take his game to another level.

Vanhook missed a couple of bunny layups but other than that he was outstanding. It looked like he wanted to have his last home game be memorable.

QJ played one of his better games in a while.  Had a lot of energy and was making shots.   Maybe he has overcome the freshman wall.

The first half defense was pretty good - especially when we erased the 14 point deficit.

Negatives

Ogbueze had another one of his disappearing acts.  He played 33 minutes and barely made an impact.

We were out rebounded by 14 and gave up a lot of second chance points.  Much of it was out lack of height but the blocking out was not good.

The second half defense was porous.  We gave up too many drives to the basket.

Davis put up good stats but did not make the key shots/plays down the stretch.  The ball movement got much worse in the second half.  Part of that was on him.

Don't get too carried away with positives. Marshall is horrible on defense. Only the Niners are worst

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos