Author Topic: clt recaps the mbb season  (Read 3631 times)

cltniners

on: March 08, 2017, 09:13:53 pm
davis could be an top 20 all timer
Free beans.

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 09:32:44 pm
12-17

gator

• Walk On

chidave

• Junior
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 10:07:24 pm
Dissapointing.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 10:10:46 pm
12-17

Yes, 12-17.  After living through this season I understand why Newberry counted our game as an exhibition.  I wish we had.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 10:19:36 pm
My player by player performance for this season:

Najee Garvin- had an up and down year as most freshman do but played his way into a starting role. He has some solid potential and is pretty athletic. He needs to get stronger and improve his shooting and basketball IQ.

Braxton- what can I say? Really disappointed how much he regressed. Shoots lights out in practice and went cold in games. I think his experience at Florida really killed his in-game confidence. Just seamed to be a head case.

Andrien White- the broken foot really hurt him in my opinion. He played great that last 5 games or so but the injury hurt his burst and he couldn't drive to the hoop. I really hope he sticks around and works on his driving.

Jon Davis- excellent year and really developed as our go to guy. He needs to work on his defense and take a leadership role for next year. Other than that I think he should be the best player in CUSA next year.

Ajukwa- I like this dudes game. He was a bit rusty in the beginning but he adds length and rebounding. Had a 30pt game so the offensive potential is there. Needs to work on 3pt shooting.

QJ- totally hit the freshman wall this year. I really like his potential though. He's lightning quick and is probably the best athlete on the team, Also plays solid D. He really needs to work on his shooting-like really badly. Also his shot selection needs to improve.

Bergang- not much to see here until he adds 30 pounds. He played decent defense. Needs a lot of work offensively.

Van hook- total gimmick/angles offensive player. I admired his aggressiveness but played out of control a lot. For being a 6'3 PF he did his best defensively. Had attitude problems sometimes.

Hudson- I know a lot people don't like him but he plays smart. For a dude with two bad knees he does ok. He will be a solid bench piece next year. He needs to work on his agility/defense.

Aube- total grinder and played his heart out with little talent. Hope he gets a shot playing TE on the FB team like he wants to.

Beans- I thought he needed to play more. He did very well against Maryland. Obviously his defense is dreadful but we played ok with him in a zone set. Needs to have an epiphany this offseason to be more aggressive defensively and rebound or he won't play next year.

We have some solid pieces returning next year but I worry that at least one of (Andrien,QJ,Davis) will transfer. Obviously need major post help next year.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:24:35 pm by _BL_Niner »

cltniners

Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 06:39:01 am
clt says aube as tight end? That would be great

lucky57

• Senior
Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 06:40:41 pm
I'll try and make my recap as brief as I can...given a VERY frustrating and disappointing year.I'm not going to go thru player by player.As far as i'm concerned,as we speak we have 1 sure legit starter...Davis.We have some guys who either have shown flashes here or in H.S. that could be good...I include White,Jackson...maybe Ajukwe (I know most seem to think he's legit good,I need to see some consistency )...Garvin...maybe,but haven't seen it yet,and yes I know he played out of position...Hudson,to me is a decent 8th or 9th man,assuming Coach knows what he's doing,and I have no reason to think otherwise,we have Zero bigs.

I have been a pretty big supporter of Coach...last nights shoutbox notwithstanding...but he needs to recruit a lot better,A LOT BETTER and smarter,he needs to find the ability in himself or his staff to turn us into a DECENT defensive team,and he needs to find the ability,somehow,to inject some enthusiasm into this depleted fanbase before next year...and yes,starting with a good recruiting class that includes a few serious bigs would be an excellent start.

Bill Parcells is famous for saying "you are what your record says you are"....Right now as we end the 2016-2017 season we are worse than we were last year and few of us in anyway expected that...I will gather up all my optimism that Price accomplishes great things as does the team in 2017-2018.

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 09:08:15 pm
Garvin: he was up in down at times but when he had a good game they didn't give him the ball. I remember one game we was 4-4 in the first half & that's all the shots he got that game. Maybe there is a reason they can't recruit a big. They don't throw them the ball.

Braxton: He had an awful year. Was much better his sophomore & junior year.

Andrien White: you all say the broken foot hurt him but I'm not so sure. He has shown that he is a spot up shooter only.

John Davis: He had a great year but not sure if he needs to be a point guard. He had some high turnover games this year. I think he would better at the 2 if QJ shows he can handle the point.

Ajukwa : He's their second best player but a lot games he didn't get enough shots or was on the bench too long.

QJ: I was excepting much more out of him. He look really good earlier but faded quickly. It was a disappointing year for him. Plenty time to get better and take over the point guard position.

Bergang: Never played so you can't say what he can do.

Vanhook: I'm so glad he is gone. They are better without out him. Didn't like him from day one.

Hudson Price: I'm his biggest critic. Why did he get so many minutes???? He had one good game & that was the first one and one decent game but yet he still got minutes. Would he have played this much if his Dad wasn't the coach? Hopefully both Prices will be gone after next year.

Aube. He always give it 110 percent. Love this guy. He should've played more instead of having 6-2 Vanhook  playing power forward.

Benis: You can't convince me that he shouldn't played more. It made no sense that there was many games he didn't even play and the coach would get on the post game and use the excuse & say we are undersized and Vanhook was in foul trouble. Of course he was in foul trouble, he's a 6-2 center. Other teams in the conference utilize their bigs while I coaching staff didn't even try to get Benas in the game plain. I hope he can graduate & play somewhere else next year. He came here to play for Major & Price screwed him

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 09:34:06 pm

73niner

• Walk On
Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 11:35:44 pm
     Reply to Ninerrbi:   Garvon, although  athletic, hurt us in every conceivable way.  Mostly poor decisions in creating shots. Ditto Vanhook. Yes undersized but suffers from what I think a lot of you are forgetting.  Besides Davis and Ajukwa, we had little offense.  Hudson, White, Jackson, Vanhook, and Ogbueze knew we needed more options on offense besides Davis and Ajukwa.  Any one of those five would have been serviceable with a better lineup but with  3 or 4 of them on the court at the same time, their deficiencies were magnified.  As proof look how much better White, Vanhook, and Ogbueze looked last year with just one more player Ochebo.  To me it also proves how great Davis can be. 
     The sky is not falling.  We just need to get lucky with a few more pieces and we'll be just fine.
      PS: I think you're dead wrong about Hudson. I isolated a lot of his on action on the court and although he had knee problems, his only demise was trying too hard to create when others were just  standing around.  That's not his game and makes him look worse.  He'll fit in nicely with a few more pieces.  IMO Benas has had chances and with few exceptions he has not produced.  Lastly I think after several games the staff knew we were in deep do do. Just how bad it would get I believe was underestimated.  Once other teams had plenty of video on us, our opponents would pound it inside and score at will which put more pressure on our shooters to keep up.  We all know how that turned out.

cltniners

Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 06:59:23 am
clt cannot find us on any bracket projections. What gives?

49er96

• MemberPF
  • Sophomore
Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 08:32:50 am

It has been a LONG time.

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 08:42:06 am
That is why on selection Sunday I celebrate the anniversary of the mutual understanding to part ways with Alan Major.
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 10:51:56 am
Last 10 years of Niner ball -

Lutz          83   140    96

Major   207   150   129   172   146   

Price      193   236

This is the worst season we have had since kenpom went live. Just in case anyone was wondering how terrible we are, the awful terrible 2009 11 win season is the 140 ranking.

*Automatic disclaimer that I am not lobbying for Lutz or Major to have not been fired
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:15:28 am by Ben H »

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 11:52:40 am
That is a VERY disturbing trend for Niner fans.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #17 on: March 10, 2017, 12:14:55 pm
There seems to be a belief among some that going from 236 to top 100 is not as difficult as it would seem.

I would like to disagree before someone posts that. We lost Uchebo and dropped 43 spots. Uchebo was good. The greatest we've ever improved in 1 season is about 60 spots, which would put us at 176 next year. I'm not saying that's impossible, but I'm willing to bet on statistics. If you look at our recruiting class I think you'll agree that only serves to bolster my point.

You can always say we are "just one player away." Any team is just 1 player away if  they get one of the Ball brothers. I'm pretty tired of hearing that argument. Someone please change my name to EndTimeProphet. Because that's pretty much where we are right now.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #18 on: March 10, 2017, 12:21:33 pm
There seems to be a belief among some that going from 236 to top 100 is not as difficult as it would seem.

I would like to disagree before someone posts that. We lost Uchebo and dropped 43 spots. Uchebo was good. The greatest we've ever improved in 1 season is about 60 spots, which would put us at 176 next year. I'm not saying that's impossible, but I'm willing to bet on statistics. If you look at our recruiting class I think you'll agree that only serves to bolster my point.

You can always say we are "just one player away." Any team is just 1 player away if  they get one of the Ball brothers. I'm pretty tired of hearing that argument. Someone please change my name to EndTimeProphet. Because that's pretty much where we are right now.
Let's have that class be finalized before stating how it will/won't impact next season.

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #19 on: March 10, 2017, 12:25:35 pm
I have a feeling that we are going to see some changes in our staff for next year.  We may even bring back Orlando Early since he is now looking for a job.  We have to have a top-notch recruiter which we do not have currently.  Price knows he needs to start making some improvement since the honeymoon is over and changes in the staff would be a logical place to start.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #20 on: March 10, 2017, 12:41:34 pm
I have a feeling that we are going to see some changes in our staff for next year.  We may even bring back Orlando Early since he is now looking for a job.  We have to have a top-notch recruiter which we do not have currently.  Price knows he needs to start making some improvement since the honeymoon is over and changes in the staff would be a logical place to start.
Early would have to take a substantial paycut to come here. He made $301,699 at NCSU this year.

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #21 on: March 10, 2017, 12:42:53 pm

Was there one?
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 12:44:00 pm
Early would have to take a substantial paycut to come here. He made $301,699 at NCSU this year.

While I agree that we may not be able to pay him enough to beat out other offers, it should be noted that he is currently making $0 - so it wouldn't exactly be a pay cut.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 12:51:17 pm
ive largely stayed out of the mbb discussions mainly for my own mental health but here we go...

Talent wise, the is is the worst Niner team ive ever seen (class of 03 btw).  Its bad.  Its bad even by comparison of a standard needed to compete in a terrible basketball conference.  I've read assessments of players by some on here and its amazing to me.  I don't see it.  This belief that we are 1 or two players away is unfathomable.  It seems separated from any real reality at all.  I think we have 1 starter level player on this team as we stand today.  Its hard to find the optimism here

chidave

• Junior
Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 12:51:32 pm
While we may have dropped 43 points after losing Uchebo, that is skewed because of how bad we were in the first part of the year last year. That being said, it's going to take more than landing a quality big to get us back to where we should be.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 12:54:01 pm by chidave »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos