Author Topic: clt recaps the mbb season  (Read 3168 times)

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 12:58:34 pm
The greatest we've ever improved in 1 season is about 60 spots, which would put us at 176 next year. I'm not saying that's impossible, but I'm willing to bet on statistics.

60 spots improvement seems like a stretch for YoY.  Your CUSA top three: MTSU is #51, La Tech is #83, and ODU is #122.  Niners would need to win some significant OOC games early season, and post-season trnm.  I think 30-40 spots YoY is more likely at best.  So it's going to be awhile IMHO to get back to top-150, but only with consistent improvement which we have not had.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 07:28:58 pm
stupidity of getting suspended for his final game aside, i think you guys are too hard on van hook. van hook had a good season. he was smaller than everybody he guarded but had several good games. it's not his fault that he was forced to start at power forward. he would have been a really good role player for 10-15mpg. this conference is for the taking next season. mtsu loses a lot, marshall loses taylor, so there are a lot of really good players leaving, which means if we can land a solid recruiting class, and keep davis, jackson, and white, we can take this league by storm. now lets go get some bigs and another guard.

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 07:40:44 pm
stupidity of getting suspended for his final game aside, i think you guys are too hard on van hook. van hook had a good season. he was smaller than everybody he guarded but had several good games. it's not his fault that he was forced to start at power forward. he would have been a really good role player for 10-15mpg. this conference is for the taking next season. mtsu loses a lot, marshall loses taylor, so there are a lot of really good players leaving, which means if we can land a solid recruiting class, and keep davis, jackson, and white, we can take this league by storm. now lets go get some bigs and another guard.
We aren't being hard enough on him. He had more technical fouls than any Niner i can remember. He had good games against teams that played no defense or that was awful. But he wasn't a role player on this team so I don't know what your point is. Everybody on this roster outside of Davis would be a role player on a good team

Iron9er

• Senior Captain
Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 07:41:49 pm
ive largely stayed out of the mbb discussions mainly for my own mental health but here we go...

Talent wise, the is is the worst Niner team ive ever seen (class of 03 btw).  Its bad.  Its bad even by comparison of a standard needed to compete in a terrible basketball conference.  I've read assessments of players by some on here and its amazing to me.  I don't see it.  This belief that we are 1 or two players away is unfathomable.  It seems separated from any real reality at all.  I think we have 1 starter level player on this team as we stand today.  Its hard to find the optimism here

This.  So.....so.....this. 
"Congrats. You guys beat our ass last night and it was a pretty pathetic performance on the glass and downlow." - StillJonesing - December 2, 2012.

Iron9er

• Senior Captain
Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 07:48:51 pm
We aren't being hard enough on him. He had more technical fouls than any Niner i can remember. He had good games against teams that played no defense or that was awful. But he wasn't a role player on this team so I don't know what your point is. Everybody on this roster outside of Davis would be a role player on a good team

I agree, he did some dumb stuff on the court, but at least he was chippy, unlike alot of our guys who just rolled over.  I get being chippy on this bad of a team, though it did hurt the team. 

Still, statistically, he was at least the 3rd best player on the team, (you could make an argument for 2nd over Ajukwa if you really wanted to).  That doesn't mean he was really good - but I'm glad he signed and played for us when few others dared. 
"Congrats. You guys beat our ass last night and it was a pretty pathetic performance on the glass and downlow." - StillJonesing - December 2, 2012.

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #30 on: March 10, 2017, 08:05:51 pm
     Reply to Ninerrbi:   Garvon, although  athletic, hurt us in every conceivable way.  Mostly poor decisions in creating shots. Ditto Vanhook. Yes undersized but suffers from what I think a lot of you are forgetting.  Besides Davis and Ajukwa, we had little offense.  Hudson, White, Jackson, Vanhook, and Ogbueze knew we needed more options on offense besides Davis and Ajukwa.  Any one of those five would have been serviceable with a better lineup but with  3 or 4 of them on the court at the same time, their deficiencies were magnified.  As proof look how much better White, Vanhook, and Ogbueze looked last year with just one more player Ochebo.  To me it also proves how great Davis can be. 
     The sky is not falling.  We just need to get lucky with a few more pieces and we'll be just fine.
      PS: I think you're dead wrong about Hudson. I isolated a lot of his on action on the court and although he had knee problems, his only demise was trying too hard to create when others were just  standing around.  That's not his game and makes him look worse.  He'll fit in nicely with a few more pieces.  IMO Benas has had chances and with few exceptions he has not produced.  Lastly I think after several games the staff knew we were in deep do do. Just how bad it would get I believe was underestimated.  Once other teams had plenty of video on us, our opponents would pound it inside and score at will which put more pressure on our shooters to keep up.  We all know how that turned out.
No the sky has already fallen. A few more pieces to what? make them have a over .500 record in the worse conference that the program has ever been in.
I don't know what you are see in Hudson? He was getting almost starter minutes and did little to nothing. I hate he has bad knees but he shouldn't got the playing time that he got. He didn't earn it with his performance. How in the hell you play him 33 minutes against UAB?? How can say Benas has had chances? He's had several games that he didn't even play? He had 10 points in 18 minutes against UTEP and played only 5 against UAB. You know the last time Hudson had 10 points in a game? @ North Texas. The one time Benas got over 20 minutes, he had 12 pts & 5 rebs. That is productive. But our coach never played him  enough to put up good numbers 

cltniners

Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 08:08:03 pm
     Reply to Ninerrbi:   Garvon, although  athletic, hurt us in every conceivable way.  Mostly poor decisions in creating shots. Ditto Vanhook. Yes undersized but suffers from what I think a lot of you are forgetting.  Besides Davis and Ajukwa, we had little offense.  Hudson, White, Jackson, Vanhook, and Ogbueze knew we needed more options on offense besides Davis and Ajukwa.  Any one of those five would have been serviceable with a better lineup but with  3 or 4 of them on the court at the same time, their deficiencies were magnified.  As proof look how much better White, Vanhook, and Ogbueze looked last year with just one more player Ochebo.  To me it also proves how great Davis can be. 
     The sky is not falling.  We just need to get lucky with a few more pieces and we'll be just fine.
      PS: I think you're dead wrong about Hudson. I isolated a lot of his on action on the court and although he had knee problems, his only demise was trying too hard to create when others were just  standing around.  That's not his game and makes him look worse.  He'll fit in nicely with a few more pieces.  IMO Benas has had chances and with few exceptions he has not produced.  Lastly I think after several games the staff knew we were in deep do do. Just how bad it would get I believe was underestimated.  Once other teams had plenty of video on us, our opponents would pound it inside and score at will which put more pressure on our shooters to keep up.  We all know how that turned out.
No the sky has already fallen. A few more pieces to what? make them have a over .500 record in the worse conference that the program has ever been in.
I don't know what you are see in Hudson? He was getting almost starter minutes and did little to nothing. I hate he has bad knees but he shouldn't got the playing time that he got. He didn't earn it with his performance. How in the hell you play him 33 minutes against UAB?? How can say Benas has had chances? He's had several games that he didn't even play? He had 10 points in 18 minutes against UTEP and played only 5 against UAB. You know the last time Hudson had 10 points in a game? @ North Texas. The one time Benas got over 20 minutes, he had 12 pts & 5 rebs. That is productive. But our coach never played him  enough to put up good numbers

clt says beans should start next year! If he doesn't declare for the draft

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 08:19:49 pm
Worst season since the Wissel days. I almost would put this one on par with all but one of those, given how bad the competition was this year. I never got the sense the team could compete with solid teams.

I think the team needs more than one or two bigs. The defense was the absolute worst I've ever seen, and I remember being hyper-critical about some of the Lutz teams' defense, and it wasn't just the lack of a post player. We did little to make it difficult for the other team to get easy or wide-open baskets. Offense was a little better, but mainly because Davis could get to the rim at will. At times we seemed to be playing a lot of one-on-one with little of the ball movement we saw some of last year. Admittedly, it probably doesn't make sense to move the ball around much when you have only one or two players that are offensive threats and they're all on the perimeter, but even given that the offense got pretty stagnant. We looked slightly better in conference, though I think that was mainly the poor competition level.

A lot of folks are saying that Price should have 4 years, but I think next year he needs to show something. If the team still looks just as bad next year (or worse) and he hasn't made strides recruiting, then it might be time to move on. I hope that's not an issue and the team looks a lot better (and we can argue about whether he's done enough to earn an extension).

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 11:42:32 pm
There seems to be a belief among some that going from 236 to top 100 is not as difficult as it would seem.

I would like to disagree before someone posts that. We lost Uchebo and dropped 43 spots. Uchebo was good. The greatest we've ever improved in 1 season is about 60 spots, which would put us at 176 next year. I'm not saying that's impossible, but I'm willing to bet on statistics. If you look at our recruiting class I think you'll agree that only serves to bolster my point.

We get it, you don't like the move from the A10 to CUSA.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 12:02:42 am

Some Benas stat you missed.  In the 18 minutes he got against UTEP, he had 1 reb and 0 blocks.  He has 4 blocks for the entire season.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Iron9er

• Senior Captain
Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 07:40:00 am

Some Benas stat you missed.  In the 18 minutes he got against UTEP, he had 1 reb and 0 blocks.  He has 4 blocks for the entire season.

While this is true, it should be noted that over the season, Benas averaged more points, rebs and blocks per minute than Hudson, bolstering ninerrbl's point.  That being said, neither one is setting the world on fire. 

cltniners

Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 08:53:28 am

While this is true, it should be noted that over the season, Benas averaged more points, rebs and blocks per minute than Hudson, bolstering ninerrbl's point.  That being said, neither one is setting the world on fire.

clt says beans is not the next Malik el tamir, but he can play. Sizeking price seems to hate him.

Sad.

Ben H

• Senior
Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 08:31:10 am

Bro, this has nothing to do with that. Do you honestly think we will be able to jump 100 spots in 1 season? And then be what? A 150 RPI team? Jon Davis is a very good player and we are still awful. I do not have faith in this staff to even get another player as good as Uchebo was this off season. And we probably need 2 players of that caliber to reach LA Tech status, 3 or more to be like MTSU.

The fact that we are arguing over whether or not Benas or Price should start is a microcosm of what is going on with our program. I get that Hudson should not be starting. Probably should start Benas, but what Norm said right here explains it all. We are really splitting hairs here. Would you rather have Reid Aube or Gaby Ngunjo?

Ben H

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 10:20:28 am

Bro, this has nothing to do with that. Do you honestly think we will be able to jump 100 spots in 1 season? And then be what? A 150 RPI team? Jon Davis is a very good player and we are still awful. I do not have faith in this staff to even get another player as good as Uchebo was this off season. And we probably need 2 players of that caliber to reach LA Tech status, 3 or more to be like MTSU.

The fact that we are arguing over whether or not Benas or Price should start is a microcosm of what is going on with our program. I get that Hudson should not be starting. Probably should start Benas, but what Norm said right here explains it all. We are really splitting hairs here. Would you rather have Reid Aube or Gaby Ngunjo?

If we signed a Gaby level big man in this recruiting class I would be ecstatic, is that bad?
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 12:41:56 pm

If we signed a Gaby level big man in this recruiting class I would be ecstatic, is that bad?

Yes.

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #40 on: March 14, 2017, 11:24:30 am
Here is my recap.  It sucked. 
Mahna Mahna

49er96

• MemberPF
  • Sophomore
Reply #41 on: March 14, 2017, 02:10:06 pm
Depressing.  No NCAA since 2005.  :mad:  So disgusting to see all the news, shows, etc. about the tournament and we are nowhere to be found.  Even hearing the NCAA/CBS music makes me sick.  My how we have fallen. 

I have nothing against the AD but how in the world do you hold onto a job this long with 8-10 years of this?  Only in college athletics.  Or maybe only at Charlotte.  Whew.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #42 on: March 14, 2017, 02:14:23 pm
Depressing.  No NCAA since 2005.  >:(  So disgusting to see all the news, shows, etc. about the tournament and we are nowhere to be found.  Even hearing the NCAA/CBS music makes me sick.  My how we have fallen. 

I have nothing against the AD but how in the world do you hold onto a job this long with 8-10 years of this?  Only in college athletics.  Or maybe only at Charlotte.  Whew.
Also, have CHP as your boss.

charlotte004

• Walk On
Reply #43 on: March 14, 2017, 02:26:39 pm
Recap...see last year.  Or the year before.  Or the last decade.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #44 on: April 14, 2017, 09:54:43 pm
I have a feeling that we are going to see some changes in our staff for next year.  We may even bring back Orlando Early since he is now looking for a job.  We have to have a top-notch recruiter which we do not have currently.  Price knows he needs to start making some improvement since the honeymoon is over and changes in the staff would be a logical place to start.
Per Gary Parrish, Early has emerged as a candidate for Patrick Ewing's staff at Georgetown.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #45 on: April 14, 2017, 10:22:27 pm
Per Gary Parrish, Early has emerged as a candidate for Patrick Ewing's staff at Georgetown."

but i ain't leaving.
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos