Author Topic: Spring Game  (Read 10218 times)

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #100 on: April 26, 2017, 11:20:09 pm
this thread sounds like a bunch of post-menapausal women arguing over shoes.
if we could get another larry o., he could wear a leather helmet strapped on with duct tape and garden twine.   and he could have a picture of his mother on it for all i care.
actually, if i had my druthers, we'd forget this "marketing thing" and just go back to smashing the other guys in the mouth.  over and over.   that's the best marketing strategy of all.   :o

Oregon has made uniforms part of the recruiting pitch.  Have to be on point
Mahna Mahna

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #101 on: April 27, 2017, 07:58:58 am
if we could get another larry o., he could wear a leather helmet strapped on with duct tape and garden twine.   and he could have a picture of his mother on it for all i care.
actually, if i had my druthers, we'd forget this "marketing thing" and just go back to smashing the other guys in the mouth.  over and over.   that's the best marketing strategy of all.   :o

Exactly. Watch Last Chance U on Netflix, and you can get a glimpse into how much the uniform reveal means to players these days.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #102 on: April 27, 2017, 09:36:52 am

Exactly. Watch Last Chance U on Netflix, and you can get a glimpse into how much the uniform reveal means to players these days.

Alabama and Ohio State have some of the most plain uniforms yet somehow they find their way into the national championship race practically every season.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #103 on: April 27, 2017, 09:40:45 am
i hate to mention penn state...
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

d_whitley

• Walk On
  • Charlotte c/o 17'
Reply #104 on: April 27, 2017, 09:45:32 am

Alabama and Ohio State have some of the most plain uniforms yet somehow they find their way into the national championship race practically every season.

They have history behind their uniforms. We have none. You want a good uniform in order to impress recruits, they definitely care.
#RockSolid #49ersMBB #NinerStandards
Twitter: d_whitley1 - 49Shades_Green

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #105 on: April 27, 2017, 11:18:20 am

Alabama, OSU, and Penn State also have 120 year old programs, with a 90k+ stadiums, and blank checks to entertain recruits with.

We have to be innovative to compete with that. Today's recruits have grown up watching programs display a cycle of uniforms. I don't fault them, or any fan that expects us to showcase our players in different styles. Uniforms = Pride.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 11:20:20 am by donkeyjaws »

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #106 on: April 27, 2017, 05:50:34 pm

Alabama, OSU, and Penn State also have 120 year old programs, with a 90k+ stadiums, and blank checks to entertain recruits with.

We have to be innovative to compete with that. Today's recruits have grown up watching programs display a cycle of uniforms. I don't fault them, or any fan that expects us to showcase our players in different styles. Uniforms = Pride.

All true, but WINNING is the common denominator that got those and other top programs where they are. Not their unis. But I also "get" kids (recruits) love the bright flashy bling too. WINNING won't hurt and THAT'S what I want to see. 
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #107 on: April 27, 2017, 07:35:41 pm
serious question.   do any kids actually let a uniform determine their choice?  and if so, do we want those flakes?   lambert has said he doesn't have time for head-cases.   i haven't read anywhere that ogunjobi preferred a forward-facing pick-axe to an eagle or a tiger paw.
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #108 on: April 27, 2017, 07:47:36 pm
serious question.   do any kids actually let a uniform determine their choice?  and if so, do we want those flakes?   lambert has said he doesn't have time for head-cases.   i haven't read anywhere that ogunjobi preferred a forward-facing pick-axe to an eagle or a tiger paw.

What reason should uniforms NOT be about what the players like and would want to wear? The AD is selling every aspect to the kids.

Like when selling a house, you fix/stage for what a buyer wants.

Imo, uniforms should be cool and different. Not the same ol and boring. We aren't held to 100 years of tradition. If you played sports, you know what it was like given an uniform that you thought really looked cool on you.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #109 on: April 27, 2017, 07:55:58 pm
ok.  i'll leave it alone.   ::)

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #110 on: April 27, 2017, 08:01:43 pm

I honestly think you care more about not wanting people to talk about uniforms, than athletes do about uniforms.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #111 on: April 27, 2017, 09:20:56 pm
you, and everybody else can talk about uniforms all you want too.   i'm just saying i think it's a superficial element in college selection.   apparently i'm in the minority.   especially among 18-22 year-olds.   i can live with that.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #112 on: April 27, 2017, 09:21:23 pm
We have Nike, and Nike is the most popular brand with the kids.  If you have to pick one, pick this one.  However, we look like all the other schools that do not compete for National Championships.  Generic Nike.  The best uniforms we ever had were from Harv-Al, know for hockey uniforms.  These were the mid-90s, Diego Guevarra uniforms.  Until we matter again, we should stick to Nike.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #113 on: April 27, 2017, 09:31:40 pm
i said i'd shut up.  but this line of thinking gives me the willies.   the Charlotte Fashion Tramps!    NOOOOOOOO!

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #114 on: April 27, 2017, 09:45:47 pm
For the record, I sorta hate seeing new uniforms each week. It's cool once a season for a special game, otherwise a team's identity is watered down when it looks different every game. Just my worthless opinion.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #115 on: April 27, 2017, 10:02:07 pm
For the record, I sorta hate seeing new uniforms each week. It's cool once a season for a special game, otherwise a team's identity is watered down when it looks different every game. Just my worthless opinion.
my thing is that i think what is displayed on the field trumps (excuse me) what's on the hat or shoulders.    we can have glowing neon jerseys and flashing hats as far am i'm concerned, but i hope the guys who come here come to bust some chops...not to bust some moves or style out on the gridiron!

cltniners

Reply #116 on: April 28, 2017, 07:33:47 am
clt chose Charlotte for school, solely based on our uniforms.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos