Author Topic: Conference USA Basketball Tournament moving to Frisco, TX  (Read 2098 times)

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 08:13:48 pm
How many people complaining actually went when the tourney was in Birmingham?

I would have if we had a competitive team (no worse than 4th). I won't ever go back until we get to 4th or better no matter where it is, but especially Texass. BLAH!!

Exactly my point, our fans aren't traveling unless we have a good year.

Despite all the griping, I will give a slight bit of credit for going outside the box to fix the problem. The Cowboys sound like they are 110% behind making it a successful event:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2017/05/16/c-usa-cowboys-officials-vow-make-conference-hoops-tourney-star-destination-event

I don't really care where they have the tournament and I hope Dallas has success hosting.  My beef is that they are planning on having the men's and women's games going on at the same time separated by a curtain.  I think we had a similar set-up when I played intramural basketball.
Seriously? A curtain? Bizarre and stupid.

Are they going to have clowns too? 
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 09:25:50 pm

I would have if we had a competitive team (no worse than 4th). I won't ever go back until we get to 4th or better no matter where it is, but especially Texass. BLAH!!

Despite all the griping, I will give a slight bit of credit for going outside the box to fix the problem. The Cowboys sound like they are 110% behind making it a successful event:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/mean-green/2017/05/16/c-usa-cowboys-officials-vow-make-conference-hoops-tourney-star-destination-event

I don't really care where they have the tournament and I hope Dallas has success hosting.  My beef is that they are planning on having the men's and women's games going on at the same time separated by a curtain.  I think we had a similar set-up when I played intramural basketball.
Seriously? A curtain? Bizarre and stupid.

Are they going to have clowns too?

The conference commissioner did show up to a championship game like this...

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 09:38:38 pm
Interesting that Frisco has a facility that is the homecourt of the Dallas Mavericks' D-League team (as well as the practice facility of the NHL Dallas Stars) in the 4,500 seat Dr Pepper Arena but apparently that won't be used by C-USA.

Also wondering where the Denton sportswriter got the idea that C-USA has traditionally held its tournament in on-campus facilities. For the men's championship, that's only occurred three times - 1998 at Cincy and then at UTEP in 2011 and 2014.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:52:40 pm by Run49er »

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 08:00:54 am

At least we got some experience playing a game with curtains down last year.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 09:17:09 am

At least we got some experience playing a game with curtains down last year.

We also have experience with both the women's and men's teams receiving equal attention at the same time.  Most teams are not used to that.

ghostofclt

• Walk On
Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 06:01:34 pm
Rumour is that the men's and women's teams can now fly down together, and share hotel rooms.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 06:58:52 pm
FWIW, I would think C-USA will use some form of the CIAA model for holding the men's and women's tournaments at the same venue. Each day the women's games played first followed by the men's matchups until the final day when there is a championship doubleheader.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 07:10:31 pm
FWIW, I would think C-USA will use some form of the CIAA model for holding the men's and women's tournaments at the same venue. Each day the women's games played first followed by the men's matchups until the final day when there is a championship doubleheader.
That wouldn't require a screen.

ghostofclt

• Walk On
Reply #33 on: May 18, 2017, 08:02:35 pm
Just have it at a HS gym. No one cares.

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 08:52:32 am
I firmly believe that the tournament needs to be in a destination location, preferably neutral, and within our footprint.

In the shoutbox, one example I gave was having it at the HP Field House @ the ESPN World Wide Sports Complex @ Disney in Orlando. The arena has hosted a few preseason tournaments with P5 teams (e.g. Old Spice Classic).

It's not big (seats 5k - but then, look at our traditional attendance), and I wish it was a tad fancier, but it has location location location, with all the (family friendly) attractions & dining around it, and loads of hotel rooms, condos, etc nearby to stay in.

The arena also has decent sightlines, which is one of biggest gripes about the Frisco football facility, along with the stupid curtain and lack of much else to do (the marketing pictures for that Cowboys facility show a bunch of stuff that hasn't even been built yet).

Maybe I'm speaking too much in dad mode, but I can see myself springing for a long weekend (or week) in Orlando with the fam before I can see hopping on a plane to Frisco, TX. At least I'll have something else to do there. 

There are probably a half dozen similarly attractive options, including Nashville, all of which make more sense than Frisco. I know there is a burning desire to have the men's and women's tournaments in the same place, but aside from AD staff, how much crossover do you ever really get in terms of attendance? I'm thinking you can count it on your hands.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:55:51 am by NinerAdvocate »
Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

https://i.imgur.com/74Mcl1t.jpg

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 09:21:47 am
I firmly believe that the tournament needs to be in a destination location, preferably neutral, and within our footprint.

In the shoutbox, one example I gave was having it at the HP Field House @ the ESPN World Wide Sports Complex @ Disney in Orlando. The arena has hosted a few preseason tournaments with P5 teams (e.g. Old Spice Classic).

It's not big (seats 5k - but then, look at our traditional attendance), and I wish it was a tad fancier, but it has location location location, with all the (family friendly) attractions & dining around it, and loads of hotel rooms, condos, etc nearby to stay in.

The arena also has decent sightlines, which is one of biggest gripes about the Frisco football facility, along with the stupid curtain and lack of much else to do (the marketing pictures for that Cowboys facility show a bunch of stuff that hasn't even been built yet).

Maybe I'm speaking too much in dad mode, but I can see myself springing for a long weekend (or week) in Orlando with the fam before I can see hopping on a plane to Frisco, TX. At least I'll have something else to do there. 

There are probably a half dozen similarly attractive options, including Nashville, all of which make more sense than Frisco. I know there is a burning desire to have the men's and women's tournaments in the same place, but aside from AD staff, how much crossover do you ever really get in terms of attendance? I'm thinking you can count it on your hands.

100% agree. The tourney needs to be in a family friendly/vacation type city. Frisco Texas is lame. If I'm spending money on a trip it's got to be for the whole family.

Ben H

• Senior
Reply #36 on: May 19, 2017, 09:23:28 am

I actually think this is a very good idea. I was watching several of the women's tournaments this past march, and then some of the mid major men's tournaments and the attendance was so pathetic. It would just make sense to hold them together and let people attend both. I do have issues with the location/venue as the rest of you do, but having both men's and women's tournaments at the same place makes too much sense to me.
Ben H

moss2k

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #37 on: May 19, 2017, 09:25:47 am

I actually think this is a very good idea. I was watching several of the women's tournaments this past march, and then some of the mid major men's tournaments and the attendance was so pathetic. It would just make sense to hold them together and let people attend both. I do have issues with the location/venue as the rest of you do, but having both men's and women's tournaments at the same place makes too much sense to me.
How do you feel about the men and women playing at the same time with a giant curtain separating the courts?

ghostofclt

• Walk On
Reply #38 on: May 19, 2017, 09:31:17 am
vegas or dubai!

Ben H

• Senior
Reply #39 on: May 19, 2017, 09:53:56 am

How do you feel about the men and women playing at the same time with a giant curtain separating the courts?

No, I think that is an awful idea. Haha
Ben H

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #40 on: May 19, 2017, 10:18:19 am
Yeah I think the problem with a single venue (as opposed to two venues in same city) is the number of games you are trying to cram into a single day. Otherwise, it would make perfect sense to play the women's games earlier in the day and the men primetime.

The curtain is... I just cannot imagine a situation where that doesn't look and sound ridiculous. FWIW, it seems that our AD may have voted against it. So while we give them a lot of grief, let's give them credit for voting correctly in this case.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 04:15:33 pm
Curtain separating games?  Is this a college league?  Or is it elementary school?
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #42 on: May 19, 2017, 06:26:04 pm
Curtain separating games?  Is this a college league?  Or is it elementary school?
I thought y'all were joking about a curtain. Please say it ain't so!

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #43 on: May 19, 2017, 07:51:21 pm
Unfortunately Run we're not kidding the curtain has been confirmed by at least one CUSA AD.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #44 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:13 pm
Unfortunately Run we're not kidding the curtain has been confirmed by at least one CUSA AD.

Found this Shreveport Times piece that quotes LA Tech AD Tommy McClelland:
Still, McClelland had two areas of concern on the visit ó sight and sound. The venue is unique in that two games will be played at once with a curtain dividing the facility.

"If we can address those things through expert opinion, then I am very comfortable, with the support of our coaches, that this is where we need to have it," McClelland recalled. "That's the answers we got back. They hired an acoustical engineer to come in."
Shreveporttimes.com: Tech AD: C-USA tourney site Ďa home runí
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 08:21:02 pm by Run49er »

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #45 on: May 19, 2017, 11:54:58 pm
The curtain is falling on 49er Athletics.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #46 on: May 20, 2017, 06:21:09 am
When watching a basketball game I care more about the play on the court than what the surrounding building looks like. Playing in a shinny brand new complex in a wealthy area of the greater Dallas metro seems more note worthy than playing in lame places than Birmingham or El Paso. The curtain just allows an efficient use of one large facility.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #47 on: May 20, 2017, 12:55:38 pm
Thinking about ways C-USA could really get bodies into the Star. Why just one curtain? Seeing that the Southland Conference is headquartered in Frisco and that the New Orleans-based Sun Belt has a very similar geographical footprint to C-USA, I'd suggest that the three conferences collaborate on a joint hoops tournament! The football field can thus be divided into six courts with the requisite curtain dividers.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos