Author Topic: Name Confusion Log  (Read 350568 times)

Mike_Persinger

• Senior
Reply #50 on: December 19, 2006, 10:32:58 am
I think the opposite -- football comes first.
Mike Persinger
Executive Sports Editor
The Charlotte Observer
mpersinger@charlotteobserver.com
(704) 358-5132

49or bust

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
    • Name Confusion Log
Reply #51 on: December 19, 2006, 10:37:09 am
I agree. I think football has better odds.

Say NO MORE to our slave name!

"But so many people are so condescending to all things 49ers. Hope Charlotte sticks it to 'em." - Tom Sorensen

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #52 on: December 19, 2006, 10:38:09 am
Quote from: Mike_Persinger;206015
OK, another question: Which has higher odds, Charlotte getting football or Charlotte changing the name of the university?

I think football will be first.  That will raise our publicity some.  Enough that people will begin to identify the school as "Charlotte".  And will cause the admins to give in to a name change.  Of course they would go about it as if it was their idea all along.  I'm more looking forward to the movie that will be made about us one day.  :biggrin:
Go NINERS!

HP49er

• Chancellor
Reply #53 on: December 19, 2006, 10:41:31 am
Football has better odds of success, although if UNCA, UNCG and UNCP got behind a move to do the same it might come first.  Of course, UNC Pembroke requested a change from Pembroke State to UNCP.
WDKWWDK

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #54 on: December 19, 2006, 10:44:41 am
Quote from: Mike_Persinger;206015
OK, another question: Which has higher odds, Charlotte getting football or Charlotte changing the name of the university?

Monkeys flying out of my butt, or you hiring a clerk who can churn out a month's worth of copy with no typos or mistakes, before either.
Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

https://i.imgur.com/74Mcl1t.jpg

NinerATL2CHA

• Senior
Reply #55 on: December 19, 2006, 10:46:35 am
Football would probably happen first...

Both of those are pretty low percentage bets though.

metro

Reply #56 on: December 19, 2006, 11:01:13 am
Quote from: Mike_Persinger;205989
Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called "North Carolina" or "UNC" ever again, would you take the deal?

yes..yes...yes

lutz9er

• Junior
    • http://
Reply #57 on: December 19, 2006, 11:29:53 am
^^^^

Yes. There's  generally nothing wrong with the Chapel hill campus being UNC, except when we must be UNC- with a little name tacked on that cleary indicates a sattelite campus set-up, which is not the case. It also creates confusion.

I would definitely accept your offer.

My adopted college football team is the Charlotte College Owls!

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #58 on: December 19, 2006, 11:30:36 am
Quote from: NinerAdvocate;206011
No need to ask since the change would effectively divorce us from the confusion. Remove the stimulus and you remove the reaction.

Q.F.T.
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #59 on: December 19, 2006, 11:33:13 am
If both occur, most of the bitching stops.  Football will happen first.  I am a huge supporter of a name change, but there is a scenario where it wouldn't be necessary:

We win the national championship 5 or 6 times in a 20 year span.  Since that's not likely to happen, I'll keep pushing for the name change.

HP49er

• Chancellor
Reply #60 on: December 19, 2006, 11:47:35 am
Just hush, your national championship reign ends in a few weeks for...

The University of Texas at Austin
WDKWWDK

719er

• Walk On
Reply #61 on: December 19, 2006, 11:50:16 am
I e-mailed E. Bowles about a week ago, urging his support for the name change.  He responded quickly, but made it clear he doesn't see the need for it.  I think football will happen first.  If we could do it right,
it might just be a matter of time before the folks drinking from the Old Well would actually support our name change because they would be confusing their own recruits and fans.  This state is currently 5th in the nation in in-migration from other states.  All these new North Carolinians need not be confused.
Let's put ALL our efforts into obtaining football now.

My Top Ten list of needs:

1.  Football (if not 1A to start, ASAP)
2.  Fair funding from the legislature (how about some "make up funds" for past oversights?)
3.  New league affiliation (and I'm not talking SoCon, Big South, or Colonial)
4.  Law school/Med school
5.  Name change NO LATER than 01/01/2017
6.  Urbanized "downtown" for students within walking distance with strict zoning (no strip centers)
7.  On campus football stadium
8.  Light rail to center city
9.  Selling the new center city building or buildings (after all, what is the light rail for?)
10.Working to make Univ. Research Park a place for RESEARCH, not an industrial or warehouse park, at the
     same time supporting the BioTech park in K-Town, thus enhancing our reputation and building for the
     future

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #62 on: December 19, 2006, 12:23:52 pm
Quote from: HP49er;206063
Just hush, your national championship reign ends in a few weeks for...

The University of Texas at Austin

HP, That's no skin off my back.  I married an Aggie.  Texas A&M rules the region this year.  The state has acknowledged this fact by honoring the occasion by putting the score of the game on all state inspection stickers this month:biggrin: .

Niner89

• Senior Captain
Reply #63 on: December 19, 2006, 12:27:28 pm
Hypothetical question: If I told you you could change the name to University of Charlotte and add a DIAA football program tomorrow that would be DI is 10 years, but in return you could never say anything ill about Chapel Hill being called "North Carolina" or "UNC" ever again, would you take the deal?

Yo Mike! You're an "outsider" . Don't come here and start anything. Don't do us any favor. Go sell what you call "paper" or something.
I told him to call 911 . . . because the house is . . . on FIRE.

Gill2003

Reply #64 on: December 19, 2006, 12:29:16 pm
Quote from: austinniner;206068
HP, That's no skin off my back. I married an Aggie. Texas A&M rules the region this year. The state has acknowledged this fact by honoring the occasion by putting the score of the game on all state inspection stickers this month:biggrin: .

say what??

LeftyNiner

• Head Coach
Reply #65 on: December 19, 2006, 12:34:35 pm
Quote from: Mike_Persinger;206017

I agree.  Add football, get to D1 level, city embraces University, University becomes U. of Charlotte.

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #66 on: December 19, 2006, 12:38:31 pm
Quote from: Niner89;206070
Yo Mike! You're an "outsider" . Don't come here and start anything. Don't do us any favor. Go sell what you call "paper" or something.

Man 89, you jump on Mike harder than Uncommon does on SCK!  Take a chill pill dude.  This is a discussion board, not a threat board.
Go NINERS!

Ninercentral

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #67 on: December 19, 2006, 12:39:08 pm
Originally Posted by Mike_Persinger

ABSOLUTELY. Id never look back. Honestly, I think the little brother syndrome on here is quite over the top, and uncalled for.

Niner89

• Senior Captain
Reply #68 on: December 19, 2006, 12:43:28 pm
Quote from: ChevEE;206076
Man 89, you jump on Mike harder than Uncommon does on SCK!  Take a chill pill dude.  This is a discussion board, not a threat board.

Facts:
- He's an "outsider".( I don't buy the 'I know how you guys feel  . . . crap")
- As far as I saw he never did us any favor but starting crap.
- His main thing is to sell what so called 'paper" as he always stated. And , so far I quit buying "trash" a long while ago.
I told him to call 911 . . . because the house is . . . on FIRE.

Gill2003

Reply #69 on: December 19, 2006, 12:52:58 pm
Quote from: Niner89;206078
Facts:
- He's an "outsider".( I don't buy the 'I know how you guys feel . . . crap")
- As far as I saw he never did us any favor but starting crap.
- His main thing is to sell what so called 'paper" as he always stated. And , so far I quit buying "trash" a long while ago.

ouch... harsh

survivor45

• Assistant Coach
Reply #70 on: December 19, 2006, 01:09:05 pm

The name change would go a long, long, long way.  I'm sure if there was a "University of Pennsylvania State at Pittsburgh", their fans would want to disassociate themselves from Penn State at College Park or College Point, or wherever the hell Penn State is located, too.

Why wouldn't a D1AA football program be D1?  :biggrin:

metro

Reply #71 on: December 19, 2006, 01:13:02 pm
Quote from: Mike_Persinger;206017

last time Mike P started throwing these hints around, an op-ed came out within a week.

maybe he's implying something.

ChevEE

• Athletic Director
  • [shev-ee]
Reply #72 on: December 19, 2006, 01:18:11 pm
Quote from: metro;206092
last time Mike P started throwing these hints around, an op-ed came out within a week.

maybe he's implying something.

That's what I'm saying!  

89, chill out.  We know how you feel about Mike.
Go NINERS!

Noreaster

• Senior
Reply #73 on: December 19, 2006, 01:26:38 pm
Quote from: survivor45;206090
The name change would go a long, long, long way. I'm sure if there was a "University of Pennsylvania State at Pittsburgh", their fans would want to disassociate themselves from Penn State at College Park or College Point, or wherever the hell Penn State is located, too.

Why wouldn't a D1AA football program be D1? :biggrin:

Pitt is a state-affiliated university, just like Penn State.  Both have branches.  The State University of Pennsylvania is a different system.

There are 3 publicly supported systems in PA - Pitt, Penn State, and SUP.

The SUP contains Indiana University of PA, California University of PA, Edinboro University of PA, Clarion University of PA, etc, etc.  It is set up like the State University of New York (SUNY).  There is no main campus.  Sort of like the UNC system.  The difference is that none of them are recognized by the SUNY or SUP initials only.

Pitt has the University of Pittsburgh at Bradford, at Titusville, etc.

The Pennsylvania State University (Penn State) has Penn State Erie, Penn State York, Penn State Altoona, etc.  The main campus is in State College.  The football field is in University Park.

No one wants to disassociate themselves from their respective systems because they recieve direct benefits from their parent institutions.  People go to Penn State Erie because it has a top Plastics Engineering program.  They don't offer that at the main campus.  In the end, they get Penn State degrees.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Noreaster

• Senior
Reply #74 on: December 19, 2006, 01:29:35 pm
To Mike's question...I would take football and quit complaining...although I don't complain about UNC that much anyway.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos