Author Topic: World Cup 2018/22  (Read 8767 times)

geeosphere

• Walk On
on: September 23, 2010, 04:04:59 pm
we got the Mother$#!#@ voice of God on our side!!! How can we not get a bid?  God son! You hear me? 

"Bring It to Our Country" U.S. World Cup Soccer Bid narrated by Morgan Freeman

Also, FIFA 11 comes out on 9/28.  Even though i own a Wii, i may just pop for a PS3 for this.

The voice of God, yo!

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:11:07 pm
Charlotte was already removed from consideration as a host city.
No us, No US! 
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:03:06 pm
oooh, chills.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 09:21:34 pm
Charlotte was already removed from consideration as a host city.
No us, No US!

No Charlotte, No America!

LET'S GO AL QAIDA!
DUCK FAVIDSON

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 09:02:29 am
The US should get the Cup every 3rd cycle imo.  We literally kick the s*** out of every other venue, and there is a reason WC 94 had the highest attendance/ratings of all time.

NovaNiner

• Senior
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 02:47:41 pm
The US should get the Cup every 3rd cycle imo.  We literally kick the s*** out of every other venue, and there is a reason WC 94 had the highest attendance/ratings of all time.

Completely agree.  It should really be Europe, US, other, repeat. 

WC '94 is a big reason why soccer is so popular in this country now.  FIFA would have to be borderline retarded not to send it back to the US to continue soccer's upward trajectory in this country. 

I think I called it in the original WC thread but we get 2022 and Europe gets 2018.  And by 2022 we'll have a legit shot to win the thing.

geeosphere

• Walk On
Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 01:55:13 pm
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/5687942/united-states-pulls-bid-2018-world-cup-puts-energy-2022

so unofficially official, europe 2018, us 2022, china 2026. IMO

edit: moments later on BBC

BBC Sport - Football - England withdraw bid for 2022 World Cup

funny how that worked out
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:01:54 pm by geeosphere »

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 02:03:01 pm
Some folks were predicting this strategy so that England would throw their support behind the US getting it, and vice-versa. Good strategy, IMO.
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

Savio

• Senior
Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 02:05:25 pm
Los Angeles will probably be the host city.  They're lobbying for the World Cup with their new state of the art stadium here in East LA.  Not to mention all the other facilities and stadiums they have in the area...Rose Bowl, Memorial Coliseum, Home Depot Center, etc

http://www.losangelesfootballstadium.com/

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 02:13:14 pm
The World Cup doesn't have one host city.  You're thinking of the Olympics.

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 02:14:44 pm
I'll be 36 in 2022, hopefully by then i'll be able to afford tickets to go to these games.
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

geeosphere

• Walk On
Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 10:50:58 am
2018 Russia and 2022 Qatar?

i'm ok with the russia one, but Qatar?  that's going to be the least attended games ever.  Ugh, no way i'm making it there.

edit: going to try and find voting result breakdown on this one.  going to be interesting.  wonder if that stuff is even released.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 10:53:09 am by geeosphere »

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 11:02:58 am
Total bullshit.  Complete and total bullshit.  One of the reported "cons" for giving it to the US was the distance in travel between cities, yet they give it to Russia?  Its not like you hop on a f***ing monorail to get between Keiv and Rustitagz. 

And Qatar?  Honestly.  Qatar?  WTF.  Statiums are going to be a ghost town.  This REALLY hurts our chances of having the WC here until I'm old and gray.  China is gonna bid on 2026 and you know its going back to europe before we get another shot.  Bullshit.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 11:08:59 am
Total bullshit.  Complete and total bullshit.  One of the reported "cons" for giving it to the US was the distance in travel between cities, yet they give it to Russia?  Its not like you hop on a f***ing monorail to get between Keiv and Rustitagz. 

And Qatar?  Honestly.  Qatar?  WTF.  Statiums are going to be a ghost town.  This REALLY hurts our chances of having the WC here until I'm old and gray.  China is gonna bid on 2026 and you know its going back to europe before we get another shot.  Bullshit.
Kiev is the capital of Ukraine. Kiev was the capital of Russia long ago in the past, but it hasn't been a part of Russia for quite some time.

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 11:11:44 am

Kiev is the capital of Ukraine. Kiev was the capital of Russia long ago in the past, but it hasn't been a part of Russia for quite some time.

I literally just put a bunch of letters together in a "russian sounding" way.  If iether Russtitagz and Keiv are real places then it is news to me.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 11:18:52 am

From ESPN:

By selecting Qatar, FIFA precluded a 2026 bid from China, since the same continent cannot host consecutive World Cups.
Mahna Mahna

geeosphere

• Walk On
Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 11:19:37 am
china won't be able to bid 2026, Qatar is in the same confederation.  So most likely some european country in 2026.  So, in my opinion, the 2030 candidates would be US, China, Australia, Mexico (who was in the 2022 race initially until they pulled out this summer), and maybe Canada??  Don't see an African nation getting again so soon, nor a south american.  So that argument could be made against Asia as well, 8 years later getting the WC again.  By 2030, it'd be 36yrs since the last WC in CONCACAF and we should be prime by then.

damn, i'll be 59.

edit:

ninerwupass beat me to that point

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 11:34:06 am
ah yea, I didnt even realize Qatar and China are in the same confederation, mostly because no one knows where the f*** Qatar is on a map.

To put things in perspective, Qatar has a population of 1.3 million.  Average summer temps of 115.  Bordered by Saudi Arabia.  Even the fifa inspection team said that a world cup there would be high risk.  Hell, Al Jazeera broke the news prior to the announcement.  Al f***ing Jazeera. Just 1 major city.  Only 3 or the 12 needed stadiums even exist right now. 

Qatar has never qualified for a WC.  Their highest FIFA ranking has been 51 back in the early 90's.  Now they are gonna be a 1 seed as a host country. 

I hate fifa so much
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:37:45 am by casstommy »

CTNiner2009

• Junior
  • Class of 2009
    • Wayton Open
Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 12:07:44 pm
Yea let's not give 2022 WC to USA. It's not like we have the most/biggest stadiums, have the most attractions and will make the most money.
[/size][/color][/font]
[/size][/color][/font][/size][/color]Any time you can hold a World Cup in a hot Middle East country that's smaller than Connecticut + has no soccer tradition, you have to do it.[/font]
Since I started following Charlotte in 2006, I have never seen the 49ers make an NCAA tournament. I hope one day that will change.

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 12:09:00 pm
Well, SCK is happy...
DUCK FAVIDSON

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 12:14:32 pm
You know Al Jazeera is a legit news organization, right cass? It's not run by Al Qaeda. They have operations all over the world including America. I get Al Jazeera here in DC over the air. It's pretty much the CNN of the Middle East.

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 12:19:24 pm
You know Al Jazeera is a legit news organization, right cass? It's not run by Al Qaeda. They have operations all over the world including America. I get Al Jazeera here in DC over the air. It's pretty much the CNN of the Middle East.

Stop ruining my anti Qatar/Russia rants  :D .

Here are some of the stadiums Qatar plans on building.  Pretty impressive, but still located in the middle of hell.

Introducing Qatar 2022's First Five Stadiums!

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 12:53:23 pm
It looks like toothpicks stuck in the ground wrapped by rubberbands...  I made more imaginative bases for my G.I. Joes when I was 6.

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 12:55:34 pm
Here is a list of "Don'ts" for a traveler to Qatar

http://www.qatarvisitor.com/index.php?cID=412&pID=1386

Don't Talk about sex, Israel or religion (at least be sensitive when talking about religion). Note that people may bring up one of these subjects - this may, in rare cases, be an attempt to trap you into saying something you shouldn't.

Don't say you are an atheist.

Don't expose your stomach, your thighs or wear tight clothing that shows off your body.

Don't offer a drink to a Muslim, don't drink in a public/visible place.

Don't initiate a private conversation with a Muslim women. Do not offer to meet a Muslim woman in a private place. Do not initiate a handshake with a person of the opposite sex

Don't take pictures without asking permission first. Don't even stare at women.Do not photograph official buildings without permission.

Do avoid being overly intimate with your spouse in public. Opinions divide on just how much intimacy is allowed, but we have observed some married Qataris holding hands.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 01:01:42 pm
Here is a list of "Don'ts" for a traveler to Qatar

http://www.qatarvisitor.com/index.php?cID=412&pID=1386

Don't Talk about sex, Israel or religion (at least be sensitive when talking about religion). Note that people may bring up one of these subjects - this may, in rare cases, be an attempt to trap you into saying something you shouldn't.

Don't say you are an atheist.

Don't expose your stomach, your thighs or wear tight clothing that shows off your body.

Don't offer a drink to a Muslim, don't drink in a public/visible place.

Don't initiate a private conversation with a Muslim women. Do not offer to meet a Muslim woman in a private place. Do not initiate a handshake with a person of the opposite sex

Don't take pictures without asking permission first. Don't even stare at women.Do not photograph official buildings without permission.

Do avoid being overly intimate with your spouse in public. Opinions divide on just how much intimacy is allowed, but we have observed some married Qataris holding hands.
sounds like a great place to hold a world event!

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos