Author Topic: Who would you take for the Masters?  (Read 5665 times)

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
on: April 04, 2011, 11:59:57 am
What used to be a lock bet isn't anymore.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

jfickett

• Senior Captain
  • Charlotte 49ers Football - A new chance for glory.
    • LinkedIn
Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 12:16:51 pm
I expect Rory McIlroy to have a big week...his game is tight enough for Augusta and the kid has all the confidence in the world.

If not McIlroy, Martin Kaymer or Anthony Kim.
11/28/2016 (16:35:02) s9er: It cost less to in student fees to launch a man into space than it does get a Charlotte men's basketball team into the NCAA's

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 12:19:28 pm
Mickleson is coming in on fire...

My pick is going to be Nick Watney

X-49er

• Head Coach
  • Connoisseur of all things Niner
Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 12:42:37 pm
Mickelson is hot and the defending champ, but I wouldn't take him over the entire field.  Woods will probably figure out a way to get in the Top 10, but I don't see him as a threat to win with the way he is playing.  Kaymer, Luke Donald, or either Molinari brother are all good bets.
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 12:52:55 pm
He-Man

Powerbait

Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 01:27:42 pm
Oh, is this of the Universe?

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 01:29:00 pm
Oh, is this of the Universe?

Is there any other verse?

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 03:01:26 pm
Woods and Mickelson have won 6 of the last 10 Masters played, and are still 1 and 2 in the odds in Vegas.  But I took the field.  I like Westwood, McIlroy and Dustin Johnson.

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 05:33:46 pm
A Tradition Like No Other: The BASTARDS!

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 04:03:41 pm
I heard a lot of  "business" women go to Augusta on the week of the Masters, so I think most people are taking hookers to the Masters.   :))
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 11:36:47 pm
A Tradition Like No Other: The BASTARDS!

Dang!  What did they do to you?

Mullins Maniac

• Sophomore
Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 10:19:03 am
Mickelson is hot and the defending champ, but I wouldn't take him over the entire field.  Woods will probably figure out a way to get in the Top 10, but I don't see him as a threat to win with the way he is playing.  Kaymer, Luke Donald, or either Molinari brother are all good bets.

Kaymer? He's never made the cut.
"When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly." - Jase Robertson

jfickett

• Senior Captain
    • LinkedIn
Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 11:09:08 am

True, but he's only played in the event twice and he's won 5 events in the past year as well as earned the World #1 ranking.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him on the first page of the leaderboard going into Sunday.
11/28/2016 (16:35:02) s9er: It cost less to in student fees to launch a man into space than it does get a Charlotte men's basketball team into the NCAA's

Mullins Maniac

• Sophomore
Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 03:59:08 pm

True, but he's only played in the event twice and he's won 5 events in the past year as well as earned the World #1 ranking.  It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him on the first page of the leaderboard going into Sunday.

He has played in the event three times. Broken par once in those 6 rounds and has a scoring average of 74. Based on that I would be surprised.
"When you don't know what you're doing, it's best to do it quickly." - Jase Robertson

X-49er

• Head Coach
Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 07:03:56 pm

He has played in the event three times. Broken par once in those 6 rounds and has a scoring average of 74. Based on that I would be surprised.

He's #1 in the world because he stinks.
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

Mullins Maniac

• Sophomore
Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 09:23:37 pm

So far, he has stunk at Augusta. But dont let the facts get in the way.

You keep on......

Dustin Johnson is your winner.

X-49er

• Head Coach
Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 10:19:11 pm

You keep on......

Johnson better come from behind, because he's not too good with a lead in the last round.

NLP

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 10:57:29 pm
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

AVLNiner

• Walk On
Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 03:47:54 pm
I expect Rory McIlroy to have a big week...his game is tight enough for Augusta and the kid has all the confidence in the world.

Good call on Rory, he opens with a 7 under 65.  Kaymer continues his struggles in Augusta posting an opening round 78, currently in a tie for 95 out of 99 entered in the field.

Mullins Maniac

• Sophomore
Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 04:56:24 pm

You keep on......

Johnson better come from behind, because he's not too good with a lead in the last round.

That wasn't a sand trap.

A blistering first round 78 by Kaymer, the #1 ranked player in the world.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 04:59:16 pm by Mullins Maniac »

X-49er

• Head Coach
Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 08:45:46 pm

You keep on......

That wasn't a sand trap.

A blistering first round 78 by Kaymer, the #1 ranked player in the world.

Johnson was stellar today also.

jfickett

• Senior Captain
    • LinkedIn
Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 09:13:59 pm

So what if Kaymer and Kim disappointed...

LETS GO MCILROY

Ninerballin

• Assistant Coach
  • checksum
Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 03:32:20 pm
Here comes Woods, 1 shot back.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 09:49:59 pm
My McIlroy pick was looking good, until....

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 07:51:27 am
I'm not sure how McIlroy is going to recover from throwing a huge number on the board with the lead at the British and then turning around and doing it at the Masters with the lead on the back 9. 

Of course Norman did it in 1996: 6 shot lead going into the final round, posted 78 and lost by 5 to Faldo.
And, most famously, Palmer's collapse: 9 shot lead with 9 to play and lost to Billy Casper in a playoff.

Norman and Palmer were both okay, maybe McIlroy will be too.  I'll be pulling like hell for him, just like I did for Van de Velde after the collapse in 1999.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos