Author Topic: Who would you take for the Masters?  (Read 5957 times)

X-49er

• Head Coach
  • Connoisseur of all things Niner
Reply #25 on: April 11, 2011, 09:23:30 am
I'm not sure how McIlroy is going to recover from throwing a huge number on the board with the lead at the British and then turning around and doing it at the Masters with the lead on the back 9. 

Of course Norman did it in 1996: 6 shot lead going into the final round, posted 78 and lost by 5 to Faldo.
And, most famously, Palmer's collapse: 9 shot lead with 9 to play and lost to Billy Casper in a playoff.

Norman and Palmer were both okay, maybe McIlroy will be too.  I'll be pulling like hell for him, just like I did for Van de Velde after the collapse in 1999.

McIlroy is just shy of turning 22.  He'll have plenty more chances at a major with his talent.  I wouldn't chalk up the relinquishing of the British last year to nerves as much as I would the wind and weather, which was brutal.  Yesterday was his first time in the spotlight on Sunday at a Major with the lead.  Time will tell if it was something he just wasn't used to, or something he can't handle.  His win last year at Quail Hollow was a come from behind run when he got red hot on Sunday, so it was a totally different deal.  It's always easier being the hunter than being the game.  With that said, McIlroy has finishes of 3rd, 3rd, and 15th in his last three majors.  He has also won two of the biggest paying non-Major tournaments on either tour over the last two years.  Not too shabby.
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 10:12:25 am
I'm not sure how McIlroy is going to recover from throwing a huge number on the board with the lead at the British and then turning around and doing it at the Masters with the lead on the back 9. 

Of course Norman did it in 1996: 6 shot lead going into the final round, posted 78 and lost by 5 to Faldo.
And, most famously, Palmer's collapse: 9 shot lead with 9 to play and lost to Billy Casper in a playoff.

Norman and Palmer were both okay, maybe McIlroy will be too.  I'll be pulling like hell for him, just like I did for Van de Velde after the collapse in 1999.

McIlroy is just shy of turning 22.  He'll have plenty more chances at a major with his talent.  I wouldn't chalk up the relinquishing of the British last year to nerves as much as I would the wind and weather, which was brutal.  Yesterday was his first time in the spotlight on Sunday at a Major with the lead.  Time will tell if it was something he just wasn't used to, or something he can't handle.  His win last year at Quail Hollow was a come from behind run when he got red hot on Sunday, so it was a totally different deal.  It's always easier being the hunter than being the game.  With that said, McIlroy has finishes of 3rd, 3rd, and 15th in his last three majors.  He has also won two of the biggest paying non-Major tournaments on either tour over the last two years.  Not too shabby.

I agree that he has plenty of time to rebound and all of the talent needed to do so, but mental pressure in golf is something that can completely cripple someone.  Next time he is in the lead at a major don't think that his 3 hole stretch at the Masters won't pop into the back of his mind.  I think his best shot is to have to charge on the last day rather than to take the lead and hold on, much like you said.  I hope he breaks through, nobody likes to see somebody just absolutely crumble like that.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

NinerFan

Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 10:41:49 am
Rory's swing is awesome - he led the field in driving, not Tiger.  I suspect he can now afford a sports psych and maybe more experienced bag man to help deal with the pressure of being the leader in a major on the last day.  Sooo many pro's wish they had Rory's problems.

jfickett

Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 11:34:26 am
I'm a jinx.

Sorry, Rory.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 11:57:00 am
I think Rory will be fine.  I like his post round comments.  I think the best example or case study for Rory would be Sergio.  A young guy, with all of the potential in the world, that just hasn't been able to get it done in the majors.

I think guys in general should stop talking smack to Tiger though.  It's hardly ever worked out for them.  Sergio, Poulter, Casey, Singh, Rory(Sabbitini and McIlroy).

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #30 on: April 11, 2011, 12:29:45 pm
I am not really a Tiger Woods fan, but it was enjoyable to see this kid crumble after he couldn't keep his mouth shut prior to the event.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #31 on: April 11, 2011, 03:26:50 pm
I am not really a Tiger Woods fan, but it was enjoyable to see this kid crumble after he couldn't keep his mouth shut prior to the event.

This.  It's never worked out well for anybody who's tried it.  The guys who seem to ignore it publicly seem to do the best(Kaymer, Furyk, Westwood, Mickelson, Stricker).  Goes like Garcia and Poulter seem to go out of their way, or are more concerned about Tiger than their own game. 

It's really seemed to have affected Garcia the most.  In his Saturday post round comments he said something like, "if I shoot a 74 and I tried my best, then that's all I can do, and there's nothing to be disappointed about".  You would have never heard Sergio say that 6 or so years ago.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #32 on: April 11, 2011, 03:39:11 pm
I think he changed pretty dramatically (both his golf game and personally) following the pretty public breakup he had with Norman's daughter.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

X-49er

• Head Coach
  • Connoisseur of all things Niner
Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 03:50:01 pm
Calling out anyone publicly is not a good idea.  It just leads to making enemies and having fans heckle you about it when you're not playing good.  But I understand why they do it after they get asked over and over again the same stupid questions about Kitty Kat ( as if he's the only other golfer in the field), and sometimes right after you've won or had a great round (who cares about Kitty at that moment).   

Commentator:  Joe, you're in the lead but Kitty Kat is 20 shots back.  What do you think you'll have to shoot tomorrow to hold him off?

Joe Golfer (sarcastically) :  I dunno, Bob, I think +7 will get it done, but a 59 is always a possibility from Kitty, so I'll probably have to shoot a 78 to take it.

It would get on my nerves too.  But as you said, ignoring the provoking of such a question is the best policy.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:54:23 pm by X-49er »
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #34 on: April 11, 2011, 03:52:30 pm
A guy named Charl should have waited until the WF Championship to win so he could win in CHARLotte.   :))
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos