Author Topic: Soccer/Futbol (Football) thread  (Read 89088 times)

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #475 on: July 31, 2015, 10:46:47 am
We should have had the Women play in the Concacaf Gold Cup.  They could have done better than 4th.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #476 on: October 05, 2015, 02:26:12 pm
Big match this Saturday night on FS1 - USA vs Mexico playoff (@ the Rose Bowl) for a single spot in the 2017 Confederations Cup (in Russia).  http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/

CONCACAF was allocating tix for an even crowd (no home field advantage): http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/08/27/usa-mexico-rose-bowl-ticket-allocation-concacaf-confederations-cup

The USA had this in the bag - if they had won the Gold Cup this summer, they'd already be in the tournament. Instead, they now have to beat Mexico to ensure their place.

We missed the last one. I'd really like to see us make this field, especially with the youth movement Klinsmann is pushing. Would be fantastic experience for the next World Cup.

Rosters are set: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/10/03/usa-roster-mexico-concacaf-cup-playoff-confederations

This is a bye week for the Panthers and the Niners, so this just moved up to first position for my sports weekend.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:29:38 pm by NinerAdvocate »

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #477 on: October 05, 2015, 03:13:53 pm
Big match this Saturday night on FS1 - USA vs Mexico playoff (@ the Rose Bowl) for a single spot in the 2017 Confederations Cup (in Russia).  http://www.fifa.com/confederationscup/

CONCACAF was allocating tix for an even crowd (no home field advantage): http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/08/27/usa-mexico-rose-bowl-ticket-allocation-concacaf-confederations-cup

The USA had this in the bag - if they had won the Gold Cup this summer, they'd already be in the tournament. Instead, they now have to beat Mexico to ensure their place.

We missed the last one. I'd really like to see us make this field, especially with the youth movement Klinsmann is pushing. Would be fantastic experience for the next World Cup.

Rosters are set: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/10/03/usa-roster-mexico-concacaf-cup-playoff-confederations

This is a bye week for the Panthers and the Niners, so this just moved up to first position for my sports weekend.

Thanks for the reminder. I have a feeling US supporters will be in the minority for this match though. 

cltniners

Reply #478 on: October 05, 2015, 10:31:35 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I have a feeling US supporters will be in the minority for this match though.

clt dice si.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #479 on: October 09, 2015, 06:56:27 pm
Bump 25 hours til kick.

NovaNiner

• Senior
Reply #480 on: October 09, 2015, 08:33:38 pm
Must win game

NinerAdvocate

Reply #481 on: November 06, 2016, 08:22:25 pm
World Cup qualifier vs Mexico Friday 11th vs Mexico.

Roster:

Some notable absences, including Dempsey and Casstommy's favorite.

akjones989

• Walk On
Reply #482 on: November 06, 2016, 09:30:20 pm
World Cup qualifier vs Mexico Friday 11th vs Mexico.

Roster:

Some notable absences, including Dempsey and Casstommy's favorite.

It's weird not seeing Dempsey on the roster. Those heart problems that have sidelined him for the last bit of the MLS season may be career ending. I hope not.....

cltniners

Reply #483 on: November 07, 2016, 06:22:48 am
clt says pulisic is the real deal.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #484 on: January 05, 2017, 02:05:15 pm

Lala's says that Arena was told to forget development, etc for now... Just qualify. Leads to some interesting roster changes.

NLP

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
Reply #485 on: January 05, 2017, 02:45:25 pm
What a shock, Arena favoring MLS players.
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

cltniners

Reply #486 on: January 05, 2017, 03:27:00 pm
clty says the MLS should play at the rich. 50M is too much for a small stadium

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #487 on: January 06, 2017, 09:29:11 am

I know almost nothing about soccer, but would the artificial turf with its permanent marking be a problem for soccer?  Don't they use a different size field...er, pitch?
#unc-CHeatingPays

cltniners

Reply #488 on: January 06, 2017, 11:55:48 am

I know almost nothing about soccer, but would the artificial turf with its permanent marking be a problem for soccer?  Don't they use a different size field...er, pitch?

clt says both fields are rectangular. problem solved.

we can plant grass on the artificial turf, then remove it when needed.

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #489 on: January 06, 2017, 09:50:57 pm

A soccer field tends to be wider than a football field. Players mention that the ball also moves faster and bounces higher when they play on turf compared to grass. And that there is a higher risk of injury.
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

J Feet

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
  • Here, hold my beer. But not you, Julio.
    • Niner Fans United
Reply #490 on: January 07, 2017, 07:26:09 am
What a shock, Arena favoring MLS players.
This is the January camp, and is not during an official international break. Thus, most Euro clubs are opting not to release players. MLS is in the offseason.

Jan camp has always been MLS heavy with an occasional fringe Euro player sprinkled in. No way Brooks, Johnson, Wood, etc. are left off the qualifying roster.
This signature is small because I'm not a jerk.

Fire Scotty!!!

NinerAdvocate

Reply #491 on: June 25, 2017, 05:48:57 pm

Not that excited about that roster. I assume it's because our best have other commitments.

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #492 on: June 26, 2017, 01:46:37 pm

Not that excited about that roster. I assume it's because our best have other commitments.

It is not abnormal for the US to take a B-squad to the Gold Cup.  Lest we forget the 2013 edition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup) where we won it all and Chris Wondowski scored 5 goals...

Yes, Donovan was also on that roster, but he was coming off of a six month sabbatical. The rest of the roster was a solid B-squad, just like this one.

Mexico will also take a B-squad to the Gold Cup since they have the A-squad participating in the Confederations Cup in Russia right now.

That group doesn't look sexy but there is a lot of experience within the selected defenders.  Smart move by Arena imo to focus on experience there and youth/inexperience elsewhere.  It's definitely a good enough roster to win the crap shoot second rate tournament that is the Gold Cup.

No point in calling in the top guys as they are either in the midst of their MLS seasons or getting read to start pre-season training with their European club teams.

PS: I'll be in Nashville for the match against Panama on 7/8/17!

NinerAdvocate

Reply #493 on: October 06, 2017, 09:02:16 am

GAMEDAY!! #Get3

USA vs Panama

World Cup Qualifiers Fifth round
today, 7:35 PM
Orlando City Stadium, Orlando, Florida
TV: ESPN2 and Univision Deportes

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #494 on: October 06, 2017, 09:25:17 am
Watched the Argentina/Peru match last night.  Hard to believe Argentina may not qualify.  Will be watching the US match tonight with friends. 

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #495 on: October 06, 2017, 03:00:48 pm
Just about a must win game.  I do wonder how hard Mexico and Costa Rica will play against our competitors for the last spot, Panama (plays Costa Rica Tues.) and Honduras (vs. CR Friday, Mex. Tues.), given they've already or essentially already qualified. The USA gifted Mexico a spot last time at the expense of Panama, so hopefully they play their best. But USMNT needs to assume that won't happen and play with the kind of intensity that will get them 2 wins.

This team has played really poorly for a while now, but hopefully we can squeeze into that 3rd place spot, and then it really won't matter. By the time the World Cup comes around, we may be seeing some new / improved players emerge to make the team more competitive in Russia.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #496 on: October 06, 2017, 03:16:25 pm
clt will be wataching baseball like an American.

NovaNiner

• Senior
Reply #497 on: October 06, 2017, 06:57:21 pm
Must win game.  I'll go with a 2-0 win. 

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #498 on: October 07, 2017, 12:43:26 pm
Must win game.  I'll go with a 2-0 win.

How about 4-0?  Great match!

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #499 on: October 07, 2017, 02:41:39 pm