Author Topic: New women's sports  (Read 7694 times)

Jackrabbit49er

• Freshman
Reply #25 on: August 27, 2015, 11:07:34 am
I don't think you need/want an Olympic pool for college. Colleges typically use 25 yard pools, while Olympics use 50 m pools. You could set-up an Olympic pool for collegiate competitions. Just depends on whether the university would want to get some 'international' competitions in to help offset the cost.

Too bad the pool isn't good enough to use any more. Any idea on the reasons why?
Sic vis pacem, para bellum

My college teams:

emf

• Senior
Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 11:12:51 am
I don't think you need/want an Olympic pool for college. Colleges typically use 25 yard pools, while Olympics use 50 m pools. You could set-up an Olympic pool for collegiate competitions. Just depends on whether the university would want to get some 'international' competitions in to help offset the cost.

Too bad the pool isn't good enough to use any more. Any idea on the reasons why?
Belk Gym just got a $17M renovation, including the pool, so maybe conditions there have changed?  Just speculation on what little information is out there.

cltniners

Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 11:35:44 am
clt says women's auto racing would be cool.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 11:42:40 am
clt says women's auto racing would be cool.
Clt is very wise. We have a nearby track, which I'm sure Bruton Smith is generous enough to let us use for free. We also already have the study of racing, which puts us ahead of most other schools.

Or we could just go with women's bowling instead.

emf

• Senior
Reply #29 on: February 23, 2016, 02:45:28 pm
From the draft Institutional Plan just released, seems sand volleyball and women's swimming are the other two contenders.
Implement the strategic plans for the Division of Student Affairs, other than as set forth herein, and the Division of Athletics, including initiating additional women’s sports programs to maintain compliance with Title IX including women’s golf (2017) and, potentially, women’s swimming, and sand volleyball.
http://chancellor.uncc.edu/office-chancellor/mission-strategy-administrative-principles/institutional-plan

LoyalNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #30 on: February 23, 2016, 02:55:00 pm
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have to have an equivalent number of scholarships? I assume those three sports don't have enough scholarships to match football.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 03:04:13 pm
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have to have an equivalent number of scholarships? I assume those three sports don't have enough scholarships to match football.

There are various ways to meet title IX.  It isn't always a 1:1
Mahna Mahna

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #32 on: February 23, 2016, 03:06:02 pm

Here are the two most likely ways that we remain in compliance.  We only have to meet one of them.  I suspect we meet both.

Demonstrating a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented sex. This prong of the test is satisfied when an institution has a history and continuing practice of program expansion that is responsive to the developing interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex (typically female).

Accommodating the interest and ability of underrepresented sex. This prong of the test is satisfied when an institution is meeting the interests and abilities of its female students even where there are disproportionately fewer females than males participating in sports.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #33 on: February 23, 2016, 05:55:18 pm
I vote for Beach Volleyball and women's Mudwrestling.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #34 on: February 23, 2016, 08:30:39 pm

Somehow sck has gotten your password and logged in as you.   :))

BleEDgreen49er

• Freshman
Reply #35 on: February 23, 2016, 10:47:08 pm
How would a transgendered scholarship be tallied let's say half the football players say they identify as being female could that negate the need to expand?

PS not a serious comment and I hope I'm not offending anyone... More so just a current issue application

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #36 on: February 24, 2016, 06:48:11 am

Somehow sck has gotten your password and logged in as you.   :))
Have you ever seen them together?

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 06:49:39 am
How would a transgendered scholarship be tallied let's say half the football players say they identify as being female could that negate the need to expand?

PS not a serious comment and I hope I'm not offending anyone... More so just a current issue application
That would be a "dodge" worthy of Chapel Hill.  ;D

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #38 on: February 24, 2016, 09:04:35 am

Wow, mind blown.  I get that you are not serious, but I am sure this will happen.  Somewhere.  We have already seen examples of race self-identification and think about how that could impact diversity measures.  I guess when you are walking down absurd paths you should not be surprised when you arrive at an absurd destination.

cltniners

Reply #39 on: February 24, 2016, 09:11:05 am

clt says to combine the sports.. mud volleyball.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 10:07:07 am

clt says to combine the sports.. mud volleyball.
Or Beach Wrestling.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos