Author Topic: UAB football  (Read 67852 times)

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #50 on: November 24, 2014, 05:40:59 pm

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #51 on: November 30, 2014, 03:51:54 pm
UAB players should be allowed to transfer w/o waiting a year.

Of their 10 defensive linemen, 7 are Juniors this year.  Shaq Jones (junior this season) plays the Jack position and is 3rd leading tackler, would be huge in the 3-4.  So many juniors on defense.  Leading Rusher is a sophomore. 

[/size]Would be PERFECT fit for next season.

Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #52 on: November 30, 2014, 03:54:31 pm
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24852086/reports-uab-ad-out-football-program-could-shut-down-this-week

Heartbroken for our friends at UAB.

F**k the Tide, Paul Bryant Jr., and that whole backwards state.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #53 on: November 30, 2014, 04:04:28 pm

Of their 10 defensive linemen, 7 are Juniors this year.  Shaq Jones (junior this season) plays the Jack position and is 3rd leading tackler, would be huge in the 3-4.  So many juniors on defense.  Leading Rusher is a sophomore. 

Would be PERFECT fit for next season.
They'll probably be allowed to transfer without waiting.

At this point, might as well just shut it down after this season. Now that it is announced, you can't field a competitive team anyway.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Mahna Mahna

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #55 on: November 30, 2014, 04:14:17 pm

Would be PERFECT fit for next season.
They'll probably be allowed to transfer without waiting.

At this point, might as well just shut it down after this season. Now that it is announced, you can't field a competitive team anyway.

I think the plan is to end the program immediately. If they get a bowl invite, I hope they let them play.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #56 on: November 30, 2014, 04:14:46 pm
Really feel for those guys. This will hurt CUSA basketball as well, UAB is a program that has the potential to get at large bids.

SteauA

• Senior

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #58 on: November 30, 2014, 05:36:55 pm
Where are the Alabama fans, alums, & students to say not in my name?  Where is the Gov. & Legislature?  Is there anyone else in Bear's family that can tell Paul, Jr. he's mocking his father's memory?
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #59 on: November 30, 2014, 05:42:34 pm
In 1989 Bryant was quoted in Esquire as describing the clientele at his Alabama dog track as "a low-class, low-income crowd ... generally your lower class of blacks, your welfare blacks, you want 'em to have enough room to get in and out, but at the same time you want to get as many in as possible."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/9891201
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #60 on: November 30, 2014, 08:11:09 pm
This brings up so many questions that could apply to us.

1. Who will CUSA get to replace them?

2.  Is this an anomaly or is this the leading edge of a trend:  G5 schools having to shut down FB due to finances?

3. Should CUSA just add three instead of one, with the goal being two hyper regionalized conferences to lower costs and also prepare for the possibility of a full split down the road if there is some other seismic shift?

And one comment. To all Alabama power brokers who would never let UAB build an on campus appropriately sized stadium and for every other slight they have endured please go f*** yourself. Hopefully Karma will be a real b**** for you one day.

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #61 on: November 30, 2014, 08:47:38 pm
This brings up so many questions that could apply to us.

1. Who will CUSA get to replace them?

Hopefully no one.

2.  Is this an anomaly or is this the leading edge of a trend:  G5 schools having to shut down FB due to finances?

There are enough academoids out there who are set against collegiate athletics to take this as a shot across all of our bows.

3. Should CUSA just add three instead of one, with the goal being two hyper regionalized conferences to lower costs and also prepare for the possibility of a full split down the road if there is some other seismic shift?

Go ahead and split it. Let the southwestern teams (USM, LaTech, North Texas, Rice, UTSA, and UTEP) pick out whatever teams in their area that they want.

On the Eastern end, Charlotte, ODU, MT, WKU, and Marshall make a hell of a core in my book. Add in Appy, Ohio, and either Liberty or JMU, and you've got a solid eight. All conference opponents but MT and WKU would be within a six-hour drive of Charlotte. The longest road trip for anybody in the conference (ODU/WKU) would be 11 hours.

Compare that with our current set up (a whopping 28 hours between ODU and UTEP) and we're already maximizing bus trips instead of plane trips, and more traveling fans mean more tickets sold, both to visiting fans and to home fans due to the interest of geographically significant games.

And one comment. To all Alabama power brokers who would never let UAB build an on campus appropriately sized stadium and for every other slight they have endured please go f*** yourself. Hopefully Karma will be a real b**** for you one day.
From my facebook post, my Christmas wish is for Paul Bryant, Jr to wake up after Alabama loses to Mizzou to find an e-mail from Nick Saban that reads: "Left at about midnight. On to bigger and better things. Suggest giving Bill Clark a look... I hear he's looking for a job."
DUCK FAVIDSON

JWNiner

• Walk On
Reply #62 on: November 30, 2014, 08:55:58 pm
http://www.sunherald.com/2014/11/30/5944033/end-is-near-for-uab-football-what.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

Interesting article on the end of UAB football and what it will mean for C-USA

rtown49er

• Walk On
Reply #63 on: November 30, 2014, 09:00:18 pm
I hate what appears to be happening w/UAB...it is truly a travesty. That being said...who might replace them in CUSA...App?

NinerAdvocate

Reply #64 on: November 30, 2014, 09:08:05 pm
I would love to hear that our staff had reached out to their players, if/when the time comes.

Many will want to stick it to Bama if they can get on an sec roster. But we'd be able to offer pt right away, especially on D.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:13:22 pm by NinerAdvocate »

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #65 on: November 30, 2014, 09:09:38 pm
I would love to hear that our staff had reached out to their plauers, if/when the time comes.

Many will want to stick it to bama if they can get on an sec roster. But we'd be able to offer pt right away, especially on D.

Let's let the body cool first...
DUCK FAVIDSON

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #66 on: November 30, 2014, 09:11:23 pm
I hate what appears to be happening w/UAB...it is truly a travesty. That being said...who might replace them in CUSA...App?

What drugs are you on?

JWNiner

• Walk On
Reply #67 on: November 30, 2014, 09:13:56 pm

Here's a good read answering your question.
http://www.sunherald.com/2014/11/30/5944033/end-is-near-for-uab-football-what.html?sp=/99/100/&ihp=1

NinerAdvocate

Reply #68 on: November 30, 2014, 09:14:13 pm
I would love to hear that our staff had reached out to their plauers, if/when the time comes.

Many will want to stick it to bama if they can get on an sec roster. But we'd be able to offer pt right away, especially on D.

Dont be naive. They will get calls the next day.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #69 on: November 30, 2014, 09:15:08 pm

Dont be naive. They will get calls the next day.

Exactly.. Early bird gets the worm

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #70 on: November 30, 2014, 09:16:21 pm

What drugs are you on?

They had a hell of a first season in the Sun Belt.. They are better than our Florida teams.  But screw them

Hopefully they look to JMU

Ninerballin

• Assistant Coach
  • checksum
Reply #71 on: November 30, 2014, 09:18:58 pm

What drugs are you on?

They had a hell of a first season in the Sun Belt.. They are better than our Florida teams.  But screw them

Hopefully they look to JMU

Why not Georgia Southern?

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #72 on: November 30, 2014, 09:19:56 pm
coastal.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #73 on: November 30, 2014, 09:29:40 pm
I would go with South Alabama. Football is on the rise and they do care about basketball.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #74 on: November 30, 2014, 09:35:02 pm
I won't be surprised if some App fans start "assuming" they are the preferred team to join CUSA.  Some of them probably still think the ACC wants them in a couple of years.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos