Author Topic: Marketing Department  (Read 33256 times)

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #50 on: February 04, 2015, 09:22:21 am
clt says our fanbase is obsessed with sweatshirts.
cheap sweatshirts. 

ninerqb

• Walk On
Reply #51 on: February 04, 2015, 09:24:50 am
clt would also like to buy the black football jersey.
How about selling a jersey with a number other than 49?  pretty cheesy if you ask me. 

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #52 on: February 04, 2015, 09:46:11 am
How about selling a jersey with a number other than 49?  pretty cheesy if you ask me.

I wasn't a fan until the team actually turned the #49 jersey into a special thing. That alone changed my opinion on it, honestly.
DUCK FAVIDSON

Donnie

• Walk On
Reply #53 on: February 04, 2015, 09:52:49 am
 I don't post here often, but I think the school's marketing is terrible. As examples, over the years, I have acquired a number of things, mostly gifts, that are basically Marshall green. However, I have also gotten things that are Michigan State green, North Texas green and I suppose Ohio University green. All of that to say, there is absolutely zero consistency on what is "Niner Green." As an easy example, did anyone else buy the homecoming shirt this year? It was basically black. You could argue that that was the alumni office's problem, but there is no consistency. None.
 I thought football would change that but it didn't. I also remember Tom Sorenson covering our first football game. He made reference to the number of "school colors" we had.  You look in the stands on a football Saturday and you're going to see a lot of variation in the color green. I think it's because of what many of you have said...we don't manage the brand well.
 In addition, there is not a t-shirt to be found with Norm on it. I think the "mascot" is a key part of an athletic identity. Look at ECU (Petey), NC State (Tuffy) and UNC-Chapel Hill (Ramses). Charlotte has nothing like that. Just the C pick and the C 49ers logos. Cool, but no mascot.
 Also, and MANY will disagree, but this whole Charlotte vs. UNC Charlotte thing is just confusing. The name of the university is UNC Charlotte and the university's website is uncc.edu. Most of the other comparisons I hear, (Ga. Tech, Va Tech, etc.) use the athletic name for the university too. In other words, it's Ga. Tech.edu...not Georgia Institute of Technology.edu. Either we change to the University of Charlotte (which under Dubois has ZERO chance of happening), or we embrace the fact that we are UNC Charlotte and live with it. We've only won one NCAA tournament game as Charlotte (Tennessee in 2001), so I don't think it's helping us that much. UNC Charlotte was a good basketball program. I'd love to have those results today.  Don't get me wrong. I like Charlotte, but it's confusing as things currently are structured.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #54 on: February 04, 2015, 10:07:04 am
Yes, yes, yes!!!!

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #55 on: February 04, 2015, 10:11:08 am
I know I keep saying it, but the Athletic Dept, and the Marketing Dept do not get to sit in on the meetings at Dick's Sporting Goods when they decide to order 49ers gear.  When Dick's decides that they believe they can sell some of our shirts they call up their vendor that produces a whole array of products for them and say "hey, give us X number of shirts with the Charlotte logo on the dark green shirt."  The shirt is not manufactured to our specific color, it is the same green being used for Michigan State, Ohio, etc.  Every shirt manufacturer is going to have their own color variation.  In Bangladesh they do not even know who we are.  Sometimes we don't even get dark green, but if Dick's thinks they can sell kelly green shirts with our logo at a profit our school cannot say a word about it.  We register our logos with Collegiate Licensing Company and the shirt vendors get their artwork there, and they pay CLC per item they make with our logo.  CLC keeps a cut, and sends us money.  All we can do is buy the shirts that are the color of green that we like, and more of those will show up on the shelves.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #56 on: February 04, 2015, 10:14:03 am

I was one of the proponents for doing that. Blame me. I still think it is pretty cool.
Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

🔥 🌹

emf

• Senior
Reply #57 on: February 04, 2015, 10:24:53 am

I was one of the proponents for doing that. Blame me. I still think it is pretty cool.
We could really confuse people and have 46 and 65 on shirts. :D

charlotte004

• Walk On
Reply #58 on: February 04, 2015, 10:44:37 am
Couldn't help myself, but I went to our online store, through our athletics website and looked at the polo's and then the sweatshirts.  There were 3 polo's!  All Ralph Lauren and $95!  Then I went to the sweatshirts.  There were 5 sweatshirts!  Four of which were women's!  Just to compare, I went to App State's athletics website and visited their online store.  Which I feel is a fair comparison, in terms of what our selection should at the VERY LEAST be.  I checked their men's polo's and sweatshirts.  Which they actually have distinguished between men's and women's.  We of course, do not.  They had 20 men's polo's, with a good selection of Nike and UA.  They had 61 men's sweatshirts.  61!  If anyone has any ability to let someone within the athletics department see this, they should be extremely embarrassed.  I for one am.  On top of being extremely agitated! >:D
I don't doubt your numbers, but our problem is not selection. Its getting everything on the website. I bet the website only shows 10% of what the bookstore has. Willing to bet if everything was shown we would match what App has, atleast.

Barnes and Noble, who manage the bookstore on campus, is a separate entity to whoever is running the athletics online store, which apparently is no one...They can't take merchandise from the bookstore and place it on the athletics website.  They can have the same merchandise, but it's two different companies.  That's why there is such a discrepancy.  Amazingly B&N has a better online selection than our own athletics website.  Just about every other school in America is reverse in that regard.  The Athletic Department wonders why they don't have a huge revenue streams coming in and it all boils down to leadership.  We don't have the right people, looking at the right issues.  For athletic departments to thrive they need healthy revenue streams and having adequate online merchandise, including better/more game day merchandise being sold at football games, basketball games, is a no brainer.  In the meantime I will go back into hibernation...wake me when Judy Rose retires, steps down.

Donnie

• Walk On
Reply #59 on: February 04, 2015, 10:49:24 am
I know I keep saying it, but the Athletic Dept, and the Marketing Dept do not get to sit in on the meetings at Dick's Sporting Goods when they decide to order 49ers gear.  When Dick's decides that they believe they can sell some of our shirts they call up their vendor that produces a whole array of products for them and say "hey, give us X number of shirts with the Charlotte logo on the dark green shirt."  The shirt is not manufactured to our specific color, it is the same green being used for Michigan State, Ohio, etc.  Every shirt manufacturer is going to have their own color variation.  In Bangladesh they do not even know who we are.  Sometimes we don't even get dark green, but if Dick's thinks they can sell kelly green shirts with our logo at a profit our school cannot say a word about it.  We register our logos with Collegiate Licensing Company and the shirt vendors get their artwork there, and they pay CLC per item they make with our logo.  CLC keeps a cut, and sends us money.  All we can do is buy the shirts that are the color of green that we like, and more of those will show up on the shelves.

Perhaps that's the issue. I don't think I've ever seen a light green Michigan State shirt or a dark green Marshall shirt and I'm sure they're available at regional stores. Somehow the marketing teams at those departments get it right.  Every other college I go to seems to get the colors right. Even schools with smaller athletic programs don't have significant variation in the color. The Charlotte logo, on the other hand, can be found in extreme shades of green (very light to very dark).   

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #60 on: February 04, 2015, 11:28:02 am
I don't post here often, but I think the school's marketing is terrible. As examples, over the years, I have acquired a number of things, mostly gifts, that are basically Marshall green. However, I have also gotten things that are Michigan State green, North Texas green and I suppose Ohio University green. All of that to say, there is absolutely zero consistency on what is "Niner Green." As an easy example, did anyone else buy the homecoming shirt this year? It was basically black. You could argue that that was the alumni office's problem, but there is no consistency. None.
 I thought football would change that but it didn't. I also remember Tom Sorenson covering our first football game. He made reference to the number of "school colors" we had.  You look in the stands on a football Saturday and you're going to see a lot of variation in the color green. I think it's because of what many of you have said...we don't manage the brand well.
 In addition, there is not a t-shirt to be found with Norm on it. I think the "mascot" is a key part of an athletic identity. Look at ECU (Petey), NC State (Tuffy) and UNC-Chapel Hill (Ramses). Charlotte has nothing like that. Just the C pick and the C 49ers logos. Cool, but no mascot.
 Also, and MANY will disagree, but this whole Charlotte vs. UNC Charlotte thing is just confusing. The name of the university is UNC Charlotte and the university's website is uncc.edu. Most of the other comparisons I hear, (Ga. Tech, Va Tech, etc.) use the athletic name for the university too. In other words, it's Ga. Tech.edu...not Georgia Institute of Technology.edu. Either we change to the University of Charlotte (which under Dubois has ZERO chance of happening), or we embrace the fact that we are UNC Charlotte and live with it. We've only won one NCAA tournament game as Charlotte (Tennessee in 2001), so I don't think it's helping us that much. UNC Charlotte was a good basketball program. I'd love to have those results today.  Don't get me wrong. I like Charlotte, but it's confusing as things currently are structured.

Personally I've never quite wrapped my mind around the issue with the wide array of greens that are associated with our merchandise.  Heck, in my living room I have two Charlotte flags and one is more kelly green while the other is more hunter green.  It makes no sense because this is what our official logo sheet has for colors:

I've always known we've had two golds because for shiny surfaces the regular gold just ends up looking like an orange-ish yellow, but nowhere on there is there a mention of another shade of green EXCEPT for a color swatch relating to our youth mark which personally I have never seen used anywhere. 

So maybe that's where the confusion comes from, who knows, either way it's ridiculous.

This is the best interpretation of our complete clusterf*ck of greens:

Donnie

• Walk On
Reply #61 on: February 05, 2015, 01:24:35 pm

Personally I've never quite wrapped my mind around the issue with the wide array of greens that are associated with our merchandise.  Heck, in my living room I have two Charlotte flags and one is more kelly green while the other is more hunter green.  It makes no sense because this is what our official logo sheet has for colors:

I've always known we've had two golds because for shiny surfaces the regular gold just ends up looking like an orange-ish yellow, but nowhere on there is there a mention of another shade of green EXCEPT for a color swatch relating to our youth mark which personally I have never seen used anywhere. 

So maybe that's where the confusion comes from, who knows, either way it's ridiculous.

This.  There is noticable variation in the flag and jersey color.  The logo on the helmet also seems to be a different color from the other two.  My view is this.  There isn't variation in Kentucky's blue, UNC-Chapel Hill's blue, Michigan State's green, Florida State's garnet, Alabama's crimson, etc. etc.  How is it that we have green from Kelly Green to Hunter Green and everything in between?  I think it has everything to do with the school's marketing strategy and less to do with what a sporting goods buyer orders.  If I walk into a Dick's Sporting Goods or the UNC-Chapel Hill bookstore, every shirt is going to be very, very close to the correct shade of blue. It shouldn't be that complicated for us. 

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #62 on: February 05, 2015, 02:48:04 pm

This.  There is noticable variation in the flag and jersey color.  The logo on the helmet also seems to be a different color from the other two.  My view is this.  There isn't variation in Kentucky's blue, UNC-Chapel Hill's blue, Michigan State's green, Florida State's garnet, Alabama's crimson, etc. etc.  How is it that we have green from Kelly Green to Hunter Green and everything in between?  I think it has everything to do with the school's marketing strategy and less to do with what a sporting goods buyer orders.  If I walk into a Dick's Sporting Goods or the UNC-Chapel Hill bookstore, every shirt is going to be very, very close to the correct shade of blue. It shouldn't be that complicated for us.
Actually, you do see variation in "Carolina blue"----quite a bit, in fact.

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #63 on: February 05, 2015, 03:03:24 pm

And things certainly aren't helped by the fact that the school has had weekly giveaways of this shirt for months on campus. Besides the obvious name issues (using UNCC with an old athletics logo...yes I understand we used to be the UNCC 49ers but when you're dealing with name confusion as it is, doing a throw back giveway that will revert 10+ years of work the AD has done to move away from that moniker, well that's just a slap in the face to a colleague) the shade of green on those shirts is wrong.

http://instagram.com/p/wrngx-mi4_/

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #64 on: February 05, 2015, 03:05:54 pm

Actually, you do see variation in "Carolina blue"----quite a bit, in fact.

The margin of error for baby blue is much smaller though not to mention they already have a well established brand.

We have one dominant color, a beautiful dark green color reminiscent of dark green forrests and we cant even get that s*** right. It's laughable.

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #65 on: February 05, 2015, 03:07:56 pm
One other thing I've noticed is that the floor in Halton looks completely different on TV than it does in person. The green looks closer to Kelly green on TV because of the lighting and colors filters they use.

Always annoys the crap out of me.

UNCCTF

• Assistant Coach
Reply #66 on: February 05, 2015, 03:11:04 pm
At least the variations on the colors of our uniforms have more or less been solved. Who remembers these god-awful things from 2001-02?

Maybe the ONE good thing that the Marketing Dept. has done in the last decade is streamline the fonts, colors, etc. used for all our sports' equipment and uniforms.  Other than that, they're straight-up useless.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #67 on: February 05, 2015, 03:21:57 pm
At least the variations on the colors of our uniforms have more or less been solved. Who remembers these god-awful things from 2001-02?

Maybe the ONE good thing that the Marketing Dept. has done in the last decade is streamline the fonts, colors, etc. used for all our sports' equipment and uniforms.  Other than that, they're straight-up useless.

This debacle was embarrassing and pissed me off. Sadly, didn't we wear these in the NCAA playoff loss to notre dame in Greenville, SC? Apparently, Jobey hated them so much, he got sick that night and did not play.  :-[ :'( ???   
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

UNCCTF

• Assistant Coach
Reply #68 on: February 05, 2015, 03:24:00 pm
[size=78%]This debacle was embarrassing and pissed me off. Sadly, didn't we wear these in the NCAA playoff loss to notre dame in Greenville, SC? Apparently, Jobey hated them so much, he got sick that night and did not play. [/size] :-[ :'( ??? [/size][size=78%] [/size]
That game was the worst.  We had a black road uniform that year that I think we wore about 75% of the time; no idea why we had to break out those fluorescent ones for a nationally-televised tournament game.

N1NER

• Junior
Reply #69 on: February 05, 2015, 03:32:11 pm

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Mahna Mahna

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #71 on: February 05, 2015, 03:44:01 pm

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #72 on: February 05, 2015, 03:44:56 pm
I would take him on any team.  Had swagger and attitude and could back most of it up.
Mahna Mahna

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #73 on: February 05, 2015, 04:40:40 pm
I would take him on any team.  Had swagger and attitude and could back most of it up.
Yep, in the same mold as Diego.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #74 on: February 28, 2015, 04:20:08 pm
R.I.P. C-pick logo

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos