Author Topic: CUSA nearing deal with CBS & ESPN  (Read 18564 times)

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #25 on: May 24, 2016, 09:43:28 am
"beIN SPORTSí coverage of Conference USA will feature 10 football games with conference rivalries, as well as nonconference matchups. The network will also air 10 menís and 10 womenís basketball games.

As part of the long-term deal, the programming lineup will include 12 games of Conference USAís baseball schedule as well as 12 womenís softball events, 10 menís and 10 womenís soccer matches, and 0 womenís volleyball games."

Ho hum..

That is not as good as I thought it would be.  No offense to baseball, softball and soccer (also, 0 volleyball games, huh?) but I would rather have another 20-30 football and basketball games over those sports.  That's just me.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 09:58:23 am
You can get this with Sling TV right? Or at least their sports package. I'd be willing to pay some just for the soccer games I'm not able to go to.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 10:45:01 am
You can get this with Sling TV right? Or at least their sports package. I'd be willing to pay some just for the soccer games I'm not able to go to.

Yes you can. Extra 5 bucks I believe.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #28 on: May 24, 2016, 11:18:48 am
I originally read this as "per team," but now I see that's the number of overall games they will cover, not per school. Oh well.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #29 on: May 25, 2016, 08:41:46 am

NinerAdvocate

Reply #30 on: May 27, 2016, 06:11:51 am
This isn't about our deal, but it puts things in perspective. I did not realize that ESPN intentionally lowballed the B1G with a non competitive offer:

http://www.hookem.com/story/big-12-expansion-every-power-5-conference-wants-network-must-see-tv/

SteauA

• Senior
Reply #31 on: May 27, 2016, 09:10:04 am

Not bad, but they forgot to include Rice in their opening logo montage.  Oops.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 12:49:02 pm
In this interview, after the 8:15 mark, Wood Selig says the combined CUSA TV deals are worth about $9 million:

https://m.soundcloud.com/espnradio94-1/wood-selig-on-the-baylor-situation-05-26-16

chidave

• Junior
Reply #33 on: May 27, 2016, 01:42:13 pm
Is that per year or over the two year life of the contract?

NinerAdvocate

Reply #34 on: May 27, 2016, 02:40:25 pm
The only person I have seen say it was over two years was a Memphis fan.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #35 on: May 27, 2016, 02:58:20 pm
That's good news if it's 9 per, nowhere near as bad as bad as some people were anticipating.

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #37 on: June 02, 2016, 07:49:22 pm
God bless Harry Minimum and the ODU AD for not making him write press releases only.
http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/got-a-college-degree-may-need-one-to-figure-out/article_6e38751a-a1c5-5ec8-81dd-c9e03de34ede.html

If it weren't for this guy I don't know how we would follow our program.  It disgusts me to pull up the Charlotte Observer any more.  Saw some nice coverage of Cheat and State today.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #38 on: June 02, 2016, 09:08:23 pm
I wonder if ASN 24/7 will be carried by WCCB on one of their digital channels here in Charlotte

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #39 on: June 03, 2016, 02:53:26 pm
http://www.nashvillepost.com/sports/area-colleges/blog/20781698/massaro-likes-sound-of-new-cusa-tv-deal

Bein Sports games to kick off at 5:30 EST on Saturdays, good news on that front at least.

cltniners

Reply #40 on: June 03, 2016, 09:15:22 pm
clt says this nominal compared to our sec deal

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #43 on: June 07, 2016, 03:52:51 pm
lol, apparently no one has a clue how much $$ the conference members will receive. 

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #44 on: June 07, 2016, 04:13:13 pm
lol, apparently no one has a clue how much $$ the conference members will receive.
It's $2.8 million. The WKU beat writer got clarification that there will be $6.2 million in production cost assistance to help schools "save" money, but it won't be additional revenue.

Nice spin, that guy should run for office.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #45 on: June 08, 2016, 09:06:54 am
The NNN reaction has been extremely tame compared to other programs in the conference. Whipped dog syndrome.

Common positions from CUSA fanbases:

1) Just about all of the schools could do better than $200k if they retained their broadcast rights and sold them individually. Conversations about ODU already getting $70k for the pittance of 2nd & 3rd tier digital rights they retained last year. WKU has a deal to get a portion of their games on Fox sports. IIRC we get close to $100k/season from IMG just for our radio rights.

2) Several fanbases ready to leave CUSA for... anywhere. Even independence. Of course, Marshall is going to the Big 12 or AAC or whatever (just ask them), but there is also a lot of humble pie. Life lines requested from the MWC and MAC. Rice wants to go it alone - and one of their points is a genuine question - can they do better just scheduling themselves against local/regional competition and one or two marquee games per year? Their fanbase would much rather play other Texas schools than CUSA east, and would draw better at home. Maybe? Probably? Then again, some Rice fans want to fold the program entirely.

3)  Near universal anger at league administration, especially Banowsky and Judy McLeod. But also a great deal of frustration with ADs in the league. Everyone should be fired. Apparently, CUSA hired a firm to negotiate our TV deals - [insert Stamats joke]. 

4) near universal revulsion of Charlotte as a league addition - "but but markets!!!11!!"

5) Jealousy of the MAC for smartly negotiating a long term deal before the sports bubble popped. They are viable for 10 years and that $500k they each get looks a whole lot better.

6) a few weak pleas to make up the slack via NCAA tournament units (wishful thinking IMHO)

My take is that everything is going as planned. P5 was tired of FBS additions. They are now moving to relegate the G5 to FCS via economics. Anticipate at least 10% of current FBS programs downgrading to FCS (now effectively DII) or dropping the sport in the not too distant future if this trend continues. Could snowball fast & worse with the additional burden of cost of attendance which is a double whammy with the TV rights cuts (those that say its a fraction of the budget...)

The remaining FBS will limp along taking charity body bag games just to try to replace the lost revenue - can see P5 schools going to 8 home games per season just due to economics, and the G5, desperate for a lifeline, all too willing to give up another home game to acquiesce. The B1G move to cut FCS programs from their schedules wasn't altruism, nor was it SOS related; it was phase 2 of "the plan". With the addition of shoe company sponsorships in the hundreds of millions, there is no capacity for the sisters of the poor to possibly compete. The weakest of the P5 schools is distributing over $23M/yr to each school plus whatever sponsorship $$.

The truth of the model as currently constructed is that FBS will be reduced to the superconference future through economic attrition within a decade or two. It's inevitable without reform. The only question is just how fast it will happen.

We are such whipped dogs that we will ridicule the critics of this news while simultaneously letting our administration off the hook. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:11:41 am by NinerAdvocate »

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #46 on: June 08, 2016, 09:38:13 am
Honestly, I'd love to see the rise of football independence again.

Look at the schedule UMass put together. It looks pretty good IMO. There are always teams looking to fill out random open weeks and when you are independent, you have a lot more scheduling flexibility.

The downside is there is no CFP money and no conference championships to pitch to recruits to play for. Realistically, no G5, indepdenent or not, is going to compete for the national championship, so if you're not competing for a conference championship, what are you really playing for? A bowl game? I'm sure some recruits are fine with that, but others probably want to feel like they're playing for something meaningful.

Didn't we make more than $200k our first year with our games only on WCCB and Greensboro/Raleigh stations?

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #47 on: June 08, 2016, 09:54:21 am
What is the point of a conference?

Scheduling?
I'm with Rice here.  Are we seriously saying we couldn't make a better schedule on our own?  The new TV rights deal gets us $200k a year, it will cost that for the team and equipment to go to UTSA this year.

Why should our revenue sports have the same travel partners as non-revenue sports?  Why should a Saturday only (typically) sport have the same travel partners as the volleyball team that plays on a Wednesday?  How does sending our M/W basketball team to Houston/Hattiesberg/LaTech for 3 days during a school week really benefit the student athlete?  Really need to think like Baseball with midweek games and schedule local.

We are in the city of Charlotte.  This is a place other schools can visit and want to visit.  Home and homes should not be an issue.

Collective TV Agreements?
Goes without saying, we are getting squat now.  Compared to larger conferences we are getting basically nothing.  The 200,000 could be made up with FM radio, WCCB, or a $7 increase in the student fee.

NCAA Credits?
We are in a One Bid conference.  Those credits get split 14 ways.  Could we not get an at large every 14 years and keep all the credits?
Bowl tie-ins at our level do not make the schools a lot of money, and again, get split 14 ways.  Wit the scheduling on our side, we can stack the deck easier to get 6 wins.  With so many bowls now, we could generate access to the mid level CUSA bowl on our own.
With being one of the lowest paid conferences w/ TV revenue and visibility, our chances at an access bid from this conference are considerably lower than a MWC or AAC school.

I don't know of a single benefit of being in this conference honestly.
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #48 on: June 08, 2016, 09:59:19 am
The problem with independence is losing your share of the CFP money, which is nothing more than bare minimum welfare from the P5. Completely intentional. Just enough to keep you addicted, but not enough for you to ever climb out of the gutter. Our share of that money is just over $1M/yr, IIRC.

After the hit we just took, we are even more desperate for that money.

Nevermind trying to sell more tickets and build the fanbase.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #49 on: June 08, 2016, 10:46:57 am
I don't think we could pull off independence, as a conference though we have to ask ourselves is it worth noon kick-offs for 200k when most of our schools may be able to get that amount cutting deals for themselves? That's not even counting lost attendance, concessions, etc from days and times that are not optimal.

Unfortunately for Marshall, Rice, and UTEP, the CFP football money rewards 10 team conferences in the G5, after that there is a diminishing return. It doesn't make financial sense for the MWC or MAC to accept them now whereas maybe it did previously. Maybe Fox will come back into play in two years since they should need some southern content, but if not there may need to be some out of the box thinking for the next deal.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos