Author Topic: MTSU Postgame  (Read 3609 times)

cibik02

• Head Coach
on: February 11, 2017, 08:43:14 pm
Anyone watch? I didn't.

BO played 30 min and only took 2 shots???

Garvin looks to have had the best game, based on the box score.

How does Davis, our starting pg and best player on the team have 0 assists in 33 min?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400919359
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 08:51:11 pm by cibik02 »

upperdeck

• Sophomore
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 08:48:07 pm
Anywatch watch? I didn't.

Garvin's first 10 minutes were the highlight of the game. Then nothing...from anyone...at all...for the next 30 minutes.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 08:58:55 pm
Defense was bad. Shocker.

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 09:03:58 pm
I didn't think the defense was all that terrible (granted, we've been really bad this year).  I  really like the effort.  Great start to the game by Garvin - something to look forward to.  We got a lot of open shots, but for some reason, had a really bad game from 3 and bad at the foul line.  Make some of those wide open threes, and we're actually leading most of the game and in it at the end.  Great effort, bad shooting night, then the wheels came off.
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 12:30:27 am
I'd be willing to be if we said MT would only score 70 before the game, everyone would have jumped at that. Unfortunately we couldn't put it in the bucket tonight, that'll do you in almost every night. Defense was fine, rebounding as fine, shooting was the issue tonight. 

After getting beat so bad on the boards at UAB, it was nice to see us improve there, just too many guys off tonight. 

cltniners

Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 07:16:08 am
clt had the game on, but clt was focused on playing scrabble online.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 07:59:57 am
Just because they missed shots doesn't mean the defense was good. Our big men were abused all game.

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 11:08:18 am
Defense looked better than it has previously, but that's not saying much and part of it had to do with what MTSU was doing on offense. MTSU would occasionally mess around on offense and we stymied them, but whenever they wanted to kill a run, they would work it down to the lower block and get an easy basket with a pivot or two. On offense, we had a lot of guys going one-on-one and gunning outside 3's early in the shot clock, I thought I was watching an old Lutz team but with fewer good shooters. There were exceptions, but the offense just did not look pretty to me even given MTSU playing better defense than our usual conference opponent. Davis was able to work to get some shots off, but it does seem like he needs to pass the ball some too if he's going to play point guard.

I didn't expect the Niners to win this one, would have been nice to make them sweat a bit more, but that's just not happening this season.

Speaking of this season, we have 5 games left. We're currently favored in one, against WKU at home, but they sure seem to have our number lately. Southern Miss has 3 winnable games left, FIU and FAU at home and N. Texas on the road. FAU has USM on the road, and UTSA at home, and the tiebreak over us (vomit). If I had to guess, I'd say we finish 12th, but at least it looks like we'll make the conference tournament for one more beatdown by probably Marshall or Rice (barring FIU putting together a few unexpected wins).  This will be the worst season by a Niner team since the Wissel teams, and you could make an argument that at least those were in a tougher conference with fewer Div. 2-level teams on the schedule (his last year was pretty bad in more ways than just the record, it's hard to be worse than that). Price needs some desperate measures just to get competitive, let alone to have success, not sure how he's going to climb out of this hole.

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 12:17:37 pm
Garvin had a great game and at one point the niners had a nice lead. Those were only positives that stuck out to me. The amount of steals that Middle Tennessee was able to get was frustrating.

https://twitter.com/campusinsiders/status/830597124567945216

Not to mention that the highlight of the game came at our own expense.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 12:37:16 pm by Hal Jordan »
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

Iron9er

• Senior Captain
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 12:39:02 pm
This product is thoroughly unwatchable.  Last game me and my friends were at was N Texas, and we've all been season ticket holders for years.  Don't really see us going to another game.  I'm surprised some of us are still watching online, didn't see any of it yesterday, though I really didn't have anything better to do. 
"Congrats. You guys beat our ass last night and it was a pretty pathetic performance on the glass and downlow." - StillJonesing - December 2, 2012.

Colorado49er

• Freshman
Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 12:42:49 pm
I don't recall White being so inconsistent as a freshman.  Perhaps the foot surgery he had prior to the season has thrown him off his game. 

Ogbueze has been an enigma the last two years.  When he is making his shots, BO is a serviceable player.  When he is off, he either keeps shooting or just disappears on the court.  His stat line rarely shows very many rebounds or assists. 

Vanhook is playing with an injured shoulder but he was having a spotty season before that.  He plays hard but is just too undersized.

Davis is the only consistent player on the team but even he was bad against Middle Tennessee.

After the Christmas break, it seemed like QJ had turned a corner and was a building block for the future.  Now he has regressed.  Hope he has just hit a freshman wall.  We need him to be an impact player.

Nothing much is working now.  We get outrebounded nearly every game and now our shooting has gone South.  Defense has been poor all season. 

A nucleus next season of Ajukwa, White, Davis, Jackson and Garvin is something to build around but everyone needs to get better and we are in desperate need for inside scoring and rebounding.  We cannot whiff on recruiting big guys again.

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 02:37:49 pm
Didn't see the game but listen to parts of it on the radio. The game went about as expected.
Middle is so much better than the Niners. Niners struggle to score against good teams.

Garvin is coming long and is playing some good basketball. He should be a decent power
forward if they can land a big man.

Hudson Price should not be averaging 22 minutes per game.
Benas is averaging only 9 minutes a game????

Postive note: Benas 4 pts 2 rbs in only 7 minutes. Why is he not playing more?????

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 02:49:23 pm
Anyone watch? I didn't.

How does Davis, our starting pg and best player on the team have 0 assists in 33 min?

It wasn't his best game ever, but he wasn't exactly helped out by the shooting from our guys either.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 05:03:09 pm
Benas is averaging only 9 minutes a game????

Postive note: Benas 4 pts 2 rbs in only 7 minutes. Why is he not playing more?????

Benas and Hudson are playing different positions. Swapping them out isn't exactly apples to apples. Even if it was, Benas is not very good, and I do not see how our team would be any better with him in. We need interior defense, and rebounding. Yeah, Hudson doesn't really provide that, but we can put him as a SF. Benas will get abused playing C and we are better off putting Garvin in.

But honestly, all of what I said is a moot point because we suck. So, if you disagree with me that doesn't really bother me. We have much bigger issues at the end of the day than whether or not Benas or Hudson Price should be getting 20 minutes a game.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 05:10:32 pm
Benas is averaging only 9 minutes a game? ???

Postive note: Benas 4 pts 2 rbs in only 7 minutes. Why is he not playing more? ??? ?

Benas and Hudson are playing different positions. Swapping them out isn't exactly apples to apples. Even if it was, Benas is not very good, and I do not see how our team would be any better with him in. We need interior defense, and rebounding. Yeah, Hudson doesn't really provide that, but we can put him as a SF. Benas will get abused playing C and we are better off putting Garvin in.

But honestly, all of what I said is a moot point because we suck. So, if you disagree with me that doesn't really bother me. We have much bigger issues at the end of the day than whether or not Benas or Hudson Price should be getting 20 minutes a game.

i totally disagree. that maryland game showed me that benas has skills. he might be inconsistent but price is a complete liability almost all the time. at least with benas, he might be able to add another dimension and when he is hitting shots, it completely changes our offense. i dont buy the "he sucks" argument. we cant be worse with him. how about putting him and garvin out there at the same time?

Colorado49er

• Freshman
Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 06:30:14 pm
Benas did have a good game against Maryland but I think the match up worked in his favor.

In many of his other appearances, he had a defensive lapse or dumb foul that quickly got him relegated to the bench.

Benas is very slow running down the floor which hampers our offense.

I think he should get more minutes but Benas just doesn't have the skillset to be a consistent contributor.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 06:35:00 pm
Benas did have a good game against Maryland but I think the match up worked in his favor.

In many of his other appearances, he had a defensive lapse or dumb foul that quickly got him relegated to the bench.

Benas is very slow running down the floor which hampers our offense.

I think he should get more minutes but Benas just doesn't have the skillset to be a consistent contributor.

he was going up against good maryland bigs and consistently beat them up the floor so i dont really agree with the "slow down the floor" argument. he also hit a variety of shots so i dont agree with the idea that he doesnt have the skillset. i know this, price def. does not have the skillset to help us. at least with benas, we have a chance to become less one dimensional on offense.

73niner

• Walk On
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 08:10:05 pm
   As the season has progressed, other teams have seen plenty of video of us and the glaring weaknesses of interior defense on our part is obvious to any opposing coach.  They pound it inside.  When you're weak inside where shot percentages are high, it's a formula for failure.  You've got to be at least serviceable inside or winning is impossible. It puts so much stress on other aspects of the game that without super human effort, it's a lost cause.
    I don't know if it's more coaching or the ability of our bigs but something got to change.  I withhold judgment on our core guards and forwards until we get a good post player.  With Uchebo last year, we were really good at times. I rest my case.

lucky57

• Senior
Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 09:09:46 pm
Its all on Price....The next class will tell the story.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 09:45:44 pm

If he can't get some bigs in here next year that can protect the baseline/lane/rim, then this coaching staff may as well call it quits here. I for one will be ready for yet another change. Our interior "defense" literally makes me sick. (I admit part of that is on me, for being so damn reactive to the success, or lack thereof, of NINER athletics.)
Sad.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 10:06:11 pm

If he can't get some bigs in here next year that can protect the baseline/lane/rim, then this coaching staff may as well call it quits here. I for one will be ready for yet another change. Our interior "defense" literally makes me sick. (I admit part of that is on me, for being so damn reactive to the success, or lack thereof, of NINER athletics.)
Sad.

We don't have interior defense.  We haven't had it all season.  Expecting us to have it all with these players is asking too much.
We've got to figure it out for next season, but we are simply not able to play inside defense with the personnel we have.

FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 10:11:44 pm
john wooden couldn't have erected a defense with these guys.   they're what we could get.   some splendid back-court players.   so let's see....
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 08:58:34 pm
Benas is averaging only 9 minutes a game? ???

Postive note: Benas 4 pts 2 rbs in only 7 minutes. Why is he not playing more? ??? ?

Yeah you are correct they play 2 different positions. But my point is Hudson getting more of an opportunity which he hasn't deserve. Benas has been somewhat productive and is playing less and less.

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 09:03:13 pm

Sad.

We don't have interior defense.  We haven't had it all season.  Expecting us to have it all with these players is asking too much.
We've got to figure it out for next season, but we are simply not able to play inside defense with the personnel we have.
I don't exactly agree with that. Our interior defense would be much better if our guards could keep the other teams guards out of the lane. I have seen many undersized teams play outstanding defense by applying pressure on the ball handlers. Our guards are a swing door to the lane 

cltniners

Reply #24 on: February 17, 2017, 06:35:48 am
clt says beans can score th basketball. Free beans!

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos