Author Topic: MBB transfer thread  (Read 30820 times)

Hawthorne_49er

• Freshman
Reply #50 on: March 14, 2017, 02:34:00 pm
It was brief but I liked what I saw from Murphy in Canada.  He could easily slide into the backup PG position.  My guess is that he will be on scholarship next year but that is pure speculation on my part.

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #51 on: March 14, 2017, 03:00:23 pm
So now we can't even keep a kid that was made come here by his dad, to specifically play for Price ???
This is very quickly getting OUT OF HAND !

Is now go time for this coaching staff to rectify the problems and get this program started back in the right direction.
JB can't do but so much and we're damn lucky he's on this roster.

lucky57

• Senior
Reply #52 on: March 14, 2017, 03:32:33 pm
I'm starting to get very depressed. I know,Benas and Swede...goodbye. Jackson leaving...uh,that really worries me.Part of a coaches job is keeping kids motivated,however they accomplish that. Even if it's true that Jackson wanted the ball more...if Price cannot convince him to hang in with us than that's a weakness as far as i'm concerned.So now Price is looking at year 3 with a multitude of schollies open and his son has 1 more year here...I don't think he's feeling the heat like a 1st time major college coach would feel,as he can probably always land and NBA Ass't gig if this doesn't work out.

I'm sure as is standard op. procedure here that we'll not hear much about anything.Funny,I don't see any of our valued assistants transferring...probably because they've got nowhere to go.

ice_cold49er

• Sophomore
Reply #53 on: March 14, 2017, 04:15:28 pm
not to try and be positive here but if only benas and the swede had left, we would all say, "good, they sucked, maybe price can land some actual players in their place." losing jackson hurts but if he is leaving bc he wants to play pg more, i can't blame him. can price and staff land quality guys who can make us better for next season? i'm skeptical but i will wait until the end of signing period to go bananas.

If QJ is concerned about time, that doesn't make sense.  He should get plenty of court time at the 1 and 2 next year. 
The Things I Would Always Like To See From 49ers Mens Basketball:

1. Good young men with good character.

2. Actually be taught good fundamental defense.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #54 on: March 14, 2017, 04:26:37 pm
not to try and be positive here but if only benas and the swede had left, we would all say, "good, they sucked, maybe price can land some actual players in their place." losing jackson hurts but if he is leaving bc he wants to play pg more, i can't blame him. can price and staff land quality guys who can make us better for next season? i'm skeptical but i will wait until the end of signing period to go bananas.

If QJ is concerned about time, that doesn't make sense.  He should get plenty of court time at the 1 and 2 next year.
He wants to be a 1. We have a really good 1. Some kids can handle that, others can't. He still would have had the ball here with Price's philosophy. Some times things just don't work for various reasons. Hope he finds a good fit for him and puts in the work.

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #55 on: March 14, 2017, 04:42:21 pm
Seems like that is the way of life in college basketball now.  I read last year that nearly 25-30% of college basketball players transfer now.  That is a huge number, but the grass is always greener on the other side.

TheShowDawg

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #56 on: March 14, 2017, 04:45:12 pm
Hopefully with the relationship Price has with QJs Dad hope he had a heads up and able to recruit this spot before now.

Price mentioning more than a couple of times in post games that QJ needed to work or is finding out how much he would need to work was definitely a red flag for this situation now.

Hope QJ finds a new home and best of luck to him.
In the Time of the Chimpanzee, I Was a Monkey....

49erAlumnus: It's been so long since we've been hated by anyone but...us.

charlotte004

• Walk On
Reply #57 on: March 14, 2017, 04:49:26 pm

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #58 on: March 14, 2017, 04:59:37 pm
This seemed like an appropriate place to post:

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/14/college-basketball-transfers-cinderella-ncaa-tournament

That's a very interesting article, but I do not necessarily agree with the headline. Plenty of other mid major schools have gone to the tournament back to back or multiple times recently. There have been multiple programs who have been moving up in talent and wins the past few years.

Part of that is accepting transfers moving down from bigger programs, JUCOs, and other places.

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #59 on: March 14, 2017, 05:50:17 pm
So now we can't even keep a kid that was made come here by his dad, to specifically play for Price ???
This is very quickly getting OUT OF HAND !

Is now go time for this coaching staff to rectify the problems and get this program started back in the right direction.
JB can't do but so much and we're damn lucky he's on this roster.
I'll try to not let this recognition go to my head, just going to keep working.

FWIW: The way I heard it is that it was JD's dad that called here and wanted his son to learn to play point from Mark Price and not QJ's dad.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:08:09 pm by JB »
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #60 on: March 14, 2017, 09:34:42 pm
If it stops here then this could be a net positive.

This gives them a chance to add some more bigs.

Bernang and Beans were basically dead salary.

Price had shown the ability to recruit well for the guards. He should be able to reload from QJ.

The bigs are the key thing here.

This is an opportunity people.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #61 on: March 14, 2017, 09:44:11 pm

Price had shown the ability to recruit well for the guards. He should be able to reload from QJ.

I'm not even sure Tony Robbins would say that with a straight face

jfickett

Reply #62 on: March 14, 2017, 09:52:13 pm

Gassman doing his best Shawn Spicer impersonation.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #63 on: March 14, 2017, 09:56:46 pm
hey!  "Facts" are Alternative.
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #64 on: March 14, 2017, 10:11:15 pm

D.O.B.A.

I have no idea how to trust this staff with building a program at all.
Recruiting has been borderline terrible (especially with bigs) and is very suspect at best....and we cannot stop the transfer issue even with a kid whose dad basically threw him at our feet.

Starting to feel like every year is groundhog day.  Mass transfers with limited recruiting success = mediocre year in a bad conference.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #65 on: March 14, 2017, 10:43:57 pm
Recruiting JD Andrien and Joe last minute was Excellent.
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

chasmo101

• Junior
Reply #66 on: March 14, 2017, 10:49:41 pm

D.O.B.A.

I have no idea how to trust this staff with building a program at all.
Recruiting has been borderline terrible (especially with bigs) and is very suspect at best....and we cannot stop the transfer issue even with a kid whose dad basically threw him at our feet.

Starting to feel like every year is groundhog day.  Mass transfers with limited recruiting success = mediocre year in a bad conference.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

QJ may not have been as good as advertised... only price truly knows but if I recall correctly he didn't impress last year in the high school playoffs against better HS talent, but by then he had an offer.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #67 on: March 14, 2017, 10:51:12 pm
Recruiting JD Andrien and Joe last minute was Excellent.
Curran was solid too, just wanted to be closer to home.

One thing in common with that class, it had a ton of openings. We have those again, lets see what they can pull off.

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #68 on: March 14, 2017, 10:52:43 pm
What are expectations for Devarte?
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #69 on: March 14, 2017, 10:56:34 pm
I expect him to transfer based on history with this staff.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #70 on: March 14, 2017, 10:56:45 pm
Role player, should provide some needed interior defense and rebounding. Need more bigs to go along with him.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #71 on: March 14, 2017, 11:11:47 pm
I am not torn up over these transfers.  Part of it is because all together they did not add up to the answer, and individually only Jackson was likely to see playing time.

Bengang can now sit out a year and focus on eating Big Macs.  Griciunas can move home and be the tallest whatever he does for a living because it probably will not be basketball unless he is willing to go play in Iran with Demario Mayfield.  Jackson makes me scratch my head.  His year did not seem productive enough to pull a Woods/Dorn.  Maybe he goes to UNCW with all of our other transfers.

With stocks it is sometimes hard to sell a stinker at a loss, but you have to free up that capital to go buy better stocks.  Gassman makes a good point that now we have three more scholarships to shop for better players.  I wish we could have held onto Jackson because I thought he had a lot of upside, but his numbers are hardly irreplaceable.  Now it is on the coach to show that he has been building a pipeline and can replace these guys with better players.
#unc-CHeatingPays

Charlotte2002

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #72 on: March 14, 2017, 11:18:51 pm
Problem is you're unlikely to find a player better than Jackson this late in the game that can contribute next season.

It is clear we are not going to JUCO route, therefore we HAVE to have continuity with players sticking around and eventually being upperclassman.  We aren't going to start winning until we field a team of experienced juniors and seniors.
Press 'til you lose!

- Me in AC

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #73 on: March 14, 2017, 11:24:09 pm
Problem is you're unlikely to find a player better than Jackson this late in the game that can contribute next season.

It is clear we are not going to JUCO route, therefore we HAVE to have continuity with players sticking around and eventually being upperclassman.  We aren't going to start winning until we field a team of experienced juniors and seniors.
White, Scott and JD were all late gets, all had better Freshmen campaigns.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #74 on: March 14, 2017, 11:32:33 pm

White, Scott and JD were all late gets, all had better Freshmen campaigns.

I agree.  There is stuff out there if we can get it.

I wonder if this can be a blessing in disguise.  Perhaps we catch a run of graduated seniors and transfers.  Two average bigs and a guard would replace the six players we're losing.

Of course, I always the optimist.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos