Author Topic: Post your emails to the AD here:  (Read 6571 times)

78NINER

• Walk On
Reply #50 on: March 20, 2017, 03:30:25 pm
I agree that Judy is long past her sell by date and hopefully will get the message and retire soon.

I do think that Lambert has just enough success and is safe for a few more years.

The lack of basketball recruits for next season is concerning.  We have a decent but small group of returning players and the large number open scholarships would allow for a combination of freshman and jucos.  This is a really important recruiting class and there is no indication that the staff is up to the task but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Toward the end of the SC/Duke game one of the announcers stated that a less talented SC w was winning because the SC players were actually playing defense.  Hope Price heard this and get our guys to actually play a little defense.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #51 on: March 20, 2017, 03:35:28 pm
a  If it would make you feel better for me to say I share your pain and disappointment, I can certainly do that.  But I'm at a loss to know what else you would have us do or what the elements of a "strategic plan" for this turnaround might be.  We believe that we have made the strategic investments in our coaches, facilities, equipment, and support staff (e.g., academic and strength training) that should make it possible to recruit well and to win.  I think we are frustrated as anyone.

We had every reason to believe that Alan Major would have been successful given the programs he had worked in and the professional mentorship he had experienced under Thad Matta.  Of course, any coaching change brings with it departures of students and, in Alan's case, he had additional issues related to his health.  We have similar hopes for Mark Price, but people have quickly forgotten that the cupboard was pretty bare when he arrived, with only one returning starter (Ogbueze) and the departures through no fault of his of players like Torin Dorn, Keyshawn Woods, and Mike Thorne. 
​Your understanding ​of the realities of conference affiliation is ​, in my view, flawed​ .  Although the A-10 had certain disadvantages when ​compared to the "good old days" of Conference USA and historic rivalries like Cincinnati,
 the A-10 was, in fact, a multi-bid league and the conference was typically ranked in the top 5-6 in terms of the power ratings.     As a person involved in the front line of thinking about conference considerations as we started the football program,  I would have loved for us to have stayed in the A-10 for basketball and to find a home only for ​what was then going to be an FCS ​football ​ program​. 
  ​That, however, was not possible.  No one would touch us without basketball, and I can tell you that I met personally with university presidents and conference commissioners from the Colonial, Southern, and Big South conferences.  Absent the invitation from Conference USA and an opportunity to move into FBS play, we would have been confined to the hopeless status of an unaffiliated FCS football program.  From a financial standpoint as well ​ (which had implications for our ability to support other sports, including men's basketball)​ , it was simply a no brainer.

Within the confines of the Conference, Judy and I have been leaders in terms of the development of standards for other institutions to develop better facilities and to schedule more competitively.  Both of us have urged that financial penalties be attached to these standards. As the conference is occasionally approached by other institutions wanting to join our numbers, both of us have insisted that we see evidence of commitment to maintaining a D-I program in all respects.  We have made the investment and will continue to do so.  Like any investment, though, there are no certain outcomes. 

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #52 on: March 20, 2017, 06:56:57 pm
Well, you got a response and it was not snarky. I am not sure that the "gee, we are not sure why we aren't doing better and maybe things will turn around" is a sufficient plan.  I do have trouble reconciling the desire to force teams to schedule more competitively with our game against Newberry.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

Iron9er

• Senior Captain
Reply #53 on: March 20, 2017, 07:24:12 pm
Yeah, it was kind of a 'hey, we've been trying' attitude.  Well, you've been trying for 10 plus years without success.  Maybe it's someone else's turn? 
"Congrats. You guys beat our ass last night and it was a pretty pathetic performance on the glass and downlow." - StillJonesing - December 2, 2012.

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018
Reply #54 on: March 20, 2017, 07:39:13 pm
I am going to send an email probably tonight or tomorrow. I think as a student I come from a different perspective with the student subsidies directly affecting me(and any other students who post on here).
I hope that they'd listen to a student seeing that I will send it from my UNCC email, I have no issues with hiding my identity. I'm just going to ask some simple questions and see if I get a response. I'm probably too young to be at the level of frustration some of you are at, but in nearly three years here it's getting pretty high.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

NJNiner12

• Walk On
Reply #55 on: March 20, 2017, 08:21:06 pm
I am going to send an email probably tonight or tomorrow. I think as a student I come from a different perspective with the student subsidies directly affecting me(and any other students who post on here).
I hope that they'd listen to a student seeing that I will send it from my UNCC email, I have no issues with hiding my identity. I'm just going to ask some simple questions and see if I get a response. I'm probably too young to be at the level of frustration some of you are at, but in nearly three years here it's getting pretty high.

I hope you have been donating while at school, because if not Phil won't care at all.

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018
Reply #56 on: March 20, 2017, 08:48:13 pm

I hope you have been donating while at school, because if not Phil won't care at all.
I think by $25K in loans is good enough for now.

NJNiner12

• Walk On
Reply #57 on: March 20, 2017, 11:27:23 pm

Believe me I agree with you. I e-mailed him about 1 month after I graduated and he pretty much spoke down to me and lectured me for not donating.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #58 on: March 21, 2017, 08:37:39 am

Believe me I agree with you. I e-mailed him about 1 month after I graduated and he pretty much spoke down to me and lectured me for not donating.

I'd have asked if the 3000K plus you spent in student fees were going to show any results anytime soon.

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018
Reply #59 on: March 21, 2017, 08:39:56 am

I'd have asked if the 3000K plus you spent in student fees were going to show any results anytime soon.
That's actually in my email.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #60 on: March 21, 2017, 08:43:02 am

This. Don't take any BS off that dude or anyone in the AD. We have all found being civil  with them about the issue didn't work and now it time to really hurt some feelings.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #61 on: March 21, 2017, 09:47:34 am
My response to his response.. post 1 of 2

Chancellor Dubois, 
I know you have many items of importance on your plate at any given moment. Taking the time to respond to my email is very much appreciated.   
I wish neither us had the need for frustration regarding the performance of the Men’s Basketball program, however seeing leadership acknowledge, and share this dissatisfaction is of value. As they say, the first step in solving a problem is to recognize that it does exist.

I want to make sure my initial email wasn’t misunderstood. Regarding the conference move, I wasn’t questioning the move to CUSA 2.0 (and certainly didn’t disparage the A10). I did not, nor will I harp on the “good old days” of CUSA 1.0, that league is history and there is no need reminiscing about its merits. The same can be said for the A10, it was a very good basketball league, but a league that offered us no future. While I’m not at all pleased with playing in the 23rd best basketball league in America, CUSA was absolutely the best conference to accommodate a fledgling football program. The purpose of quoting Ms. Rose from a 2009 interview was to illustrate our move to the A10 seemed to catch both the coaching staff and the Athletic Department flat footed.  My point being, we once again seemed unprepared to hit the ground running in a new league, failing to capitalize on lessons learned from our 2005 move. Being a middle of the pack performer in this league is quite candidly the lowest point this program has seen since the early 1980’s. Without a hint of modesty, this is a league we should finish in the upper echelon year in and year out… Enough about yesterday, let’s look at tomorrow.   

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #62 on: March 21, 2017, 09:48:27 am
To answer your question back to me “what the elements of a strategic plan for this turnaround might be”, I submit the following:
  • Define success. State, and promote the goals for the Men’s basketball program (all the programs for that matter). I vividly recall those standards being articulated at the end of the 2009 season as the rationale for a coaching change. I also remember those same goals being restated (substituting “NCAA’s” with “post season”) by Judy Rose in a season ending coaches show. It’s hard to manage to a standard if there is no standard. In the same vein it’s hard for fans to manage expectations when we are unaware of what our intended destination is.
  • Promote and maintain accountability for results. If we continue to fall short of those goals, what are we doing to rectify? Changing coaches is the low hanging fruit; accountability must be at all levels. Is the job of the Athletic Department to have a budget for a solid CUSA team, or should it desire to field a nationally relevant program? Knowing what it takes to be a legitimate player is something “fans” and donors alike should all know. What is the goal from a monetary standpoint? Where do we stand reaching that goal? Communication is paramount. 
  • Promote the brand in the city of Charlotte. To say our media presence in the city is underwhelming would be kind. 
  • Have a publicly accessible 5 or 10 Year Plan for athletics. Based on the superior work done surrounding the University’s Master Plan, this should be layup from a design perspective. However, back to my earlier comment. What do we want to become?  Supporters want to know where we are going, and what it going to take to get us there. 
  • The plan is to see football stadium expansion by 20XX, The plan is to have baseball/softball hitting facilities by 20XX. And it’s going to cost us $X.XX to get there.  Those are just a couple of examples. Watching a school like Coastal Carolina go for it and find success is cause for envy.
  • Former league mate ECU, made every public statements regarding their desire for upward conference mobility, actively campaigning for the Big12 (we can argue the intelligence of actively campaigning for one league while still fairly new in the AAC),  it was a terrific jolt for their fan base as it showed they weren’t satisfied with status quo. Are we positioning ourselves for proactive growth? Aspirational goals are not a bad thing for a frustrated and dwindling fan base. Again, what do we want to be as a program?
  • Make the plan the focal point of who we want to be. Like all donors, I received an “annual report”. Obviously, recognizing efforts and success of the past year is important. However (I openly acknowledge I’m beating dead horse at this juncture) knowing where the desired finish line gives purpose to those running the race. I’m sure we have many of these same discussions, have many of these same goals, and have many of these same standards. What I’m not sure of is where they are found.
http://jmusports.com/news/2015/3/19/Athletics_0319155842.aspx                                                   
http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=210963706 and these plans do generate news  http://web.tampabay.com/sports/college/usf-five-year-plan-includes-looking-at-football-stadium-conferenc
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ohio/genrel/auto_pdf/StrategicPlan-Final.pdf
I want to emphasize my comments, though tinted by frustration, are made with the hopes of seeing the Athletic Department get back to a position of national prominence. This University has made such massive strides over the past decade; I think an athletics program of equal stature is something we’d all like to see.  Again, thank you for your time and I hope my future emails are all congratulatory in nature.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:50:52 am by s9er »

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #63 on: March 21, 2017, 09:49:34 am
I have not received an email back about this. I am going to resend it, modified, with links to everyone listed in the first page.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #64 on: March 21, 2017, 10:44:57 am
s9er, you do good work.  Well written.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #65 on: March 21, 2017, 10:55:22 am
S9er - Well done. You've hit all the points I intended to include in my response.

Haven't received an email back yet, so maybe no response will be needed. Good to know that our voices are being heard.

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #66 on: March 21, 2017, 12:47:05 pm
S9er's email is well executed.

However I fear that the "other factors" being alluded to are Judy's ability to keep the whales happy (aka cruises on the Ramblin Rose). What we are hearing though is that this group is played out.

So the decision to replace Judy, in addition to being focused on the issues S mentioned, represents not just the opportunity, but the dire need to retool the approach of the AD to more wide reaching support base requiring a much more public persona and clear, concise and ever present brand.

I just don't see a lame duck Chancellor having any interest in tackling that challenge at all, especially in the midst of a capital campaign.

I'd encourage your efforts though, simply to surface these issues ahead of the change that will eventually come (but not soon enough).
Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

https://i.imgur.com/74Mcl1t.jpg

NJNiner12

• Walk On
Reply #67 on: March 21, 2017, 12:54:01 pm
Why don't we all just respond saying that Judy needs to be replaced. That her approach has gone stale and we have been on a downward spiral for the last decade. Yes, we thank her for football but that should not equal a free pass until retirement.

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #68 on: March 21, 2017, 01:21:15 pm
S9er's email is well executed.

However I fear that the "other factors" being alluded to are Judy's ability to keep the whales happy (aka cruises on the Ramblin Rose). What we are hearing though is that this group is played out.

So the decision to replace Judy, in addition to being focused on the issues S mentioned, represents not just the opportunity, but the dire need to retool the approach of the AD to more wide reaching support base requiring a much more public persona and clear, concise and ever present brand.

I just don't see a lame duck Chancellor having any interest in tackling that challenge at all, especially in the midst of a capital campaign.

I'd encourage your efforts though, simply to surface these issues ahead of the change that will eventually come (but not soon enough).

I think you're right on all points. Shouldn't keep us from voicing justified complaints though. If they wanna ride out their tenure, we should continue to let them know how they're letting the fans/school down.

jfickett

• Senior Captain
  • Charlotte 49ers Football - A new chance for glory.
    • LinkedIn
Reply #69 on: March 21, 2017, 01:28:47 pm
The reply I received from Judy.  Not sure yet how/if I will respond.  Kudos to her for replying, in any event.

Job,

I do appreciate you reaching out to us as someone who has been active in your support of the 49ers.  There are no magical solutions to the issues you raise, but you can 100% feel confident that our desire to get men's basketball back into the conversation nationally is a priority for all of us.  No one is excited that we have been absent from the national scene for an extended period of time, but it is our responsibility to attempt to do get back there.

Coach Price is a highly competitive individual that takes a lack of success like all of us do - poorly.  He and his staff are working diligently on getting the talent infusion needed to return us to being a contender in Conference USA.  He has seen the league now for two years, and understands the adjustments necessary to take the next steps.  That said, he came into a situation where players exercised their option to leave during a coaching transition and had to retool the roster quickly just to field a team. His late foray into recruiting the 2015 class netted Jon Davis, Andrien White and Joe Uchebo - guys that we could all agree are the caliber needed to move forward in our league.  We simply need more of those caliber players and that is squarely what is at the forefront of this off-season.

That said, we will be launching a newsletter soon that will reach out to our fan base and allow them to better see what is happening in the department. 

JR
11/28/2016 (16:35:02) s9er: It cost less to in student fees to launch a man into space than it does get a Charlotte men's basketball team into the NCAA's

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #70 on: March 21, 2017, 01:40:38 pm
Wow, I'm quite caught off guard - in a positive way - by Judy's email. I'm looking forward to that newsletter.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #71 on: March 21, 2017, 02:00:09 pm
Listen, say three years from now Judy and Phil retire and we are the 2 time defending CUSA mens basketball Champions and have won 2 consecutive Bowls.. I'd happily watch that presser and when they got to the point where they said all of the people on NN.N can kiss their asses, I'd gladly pucker up.

I don;t care who fixes it.. I just want it fixed.

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #72 on: March 21, 2017, 02:38:29 pm
Listen, say three years from now Judy and Phil retire and we are the 2 time defending CUSA mens basketball Champions and have won 2 consecutive Bowls.. I'd happily watch that presser and when they got to the point where they said all of the people on NN.N can kiss their asses, I'd gladly pucker up.

You can borrow my chap stick and breath spray after me. For them to prove myself, and the rest of us wrong, would be a great adventure.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

charlotte004

• Walk On
Reply #73 on: March 21, 2017, 02:42:33 pm

^^ Agree with this statement, wholeheartedly.  Rose and her staff have to be held accountable.  When we hear nothing, see nothing, expect nothing, there should be concern as to what's going on.  A newsletter is the first step.  But we need to go beyond a newsletter.  We need a STRATEGIC PLAN for all sports.  Not just an "update."  Whether that be a plan for 3 years, 5 years, or 10 years, the Athletic Department needs to move into the 21st Century and start treating that Department as a business with shareholders.

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #74 on: March 21, 2017, 02:48:50 pm
OPERATION STEALTH IS ON THE ROPES

I'd actually lighten up if I simply knew there was an imminent plan for stadium expansion

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos