Author Topic: Austin Duke signed by Panthers  (Read 22771 times)

Niner2395

• Walk On
Reply #100 on: August 09, 2017, 10:15:02 pm
Well those two drops definitely hurt Duke...when you are an UDFA you need to make the most of every opportunity...he needs to step up if he wants a shot at the 53 man roster.

Universal

• Senior
  • I floss regularly
Reply #101 on: August 09, 2017, 10:18:34 pm
Well those two drops definitely hurt Duke...when you are an UDFA you need to make the most of every opportunity...he needs to step up if he wants a shot at the Practice squad.

fixed
“All that is best in the great poets of all countries is not what is national in them, but what is universal”

Niner2395

• Walk On
Reply #102 on: August 09, 2017, 10:30:39 pm
Well those two drops definitely hurt Duke...when you are an UDFA you need to make the most of every opportunity...he needs to step up if he wants a shot at the Practice squad.

fixed

My bad. I meant to put that actually. Well atleast he came back with those 2 catches.

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #103 on: August 10, 2017, 10:45:05 am
Nearly every player on the team and Riviera went by and gave him a pat on the head after the disastrous start and
tried to keep him pumped up.  I was encouraged to see that.
He had the nice punt return and two catches after that.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #104 on: August 10, 2017, 10:48:19 am
Nearly every player on the team and Riviera went by and gave him a pat on the head after the disastrous start and

Thank God. Maybe there is still hope.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #105 on: August 10, 2017, 10:52:07 am

This.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #106 on: August 10, 2017, 04:15:08 pm
I was disappointed when Byrd scored 2 TD's.  He's going to steal our roster spot!  We have to find a way to get Duke some TD's!  Save Duke!
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

charlottewkndbuzz

• Walk On
Reply #107 on: August 10, 2017, 04:21:15 pm
I was disappointed when Byrd scored 2 TD's.  He's going to steal our roster spot!  We have to find a way to get Duke some TD's!  Save Duke!

Was thinking the same thing, that Byrd was having a really good game.  I hope Duke can also get some reps with someone other than the 4th string QB (Webb or Anderson).  I think that is a big factor as well.

upperdeck

• Sophomore
Reply #108 on: August 10, 2017, 06:03:43 pm

But is Byrd makes the roster doesn't that in effect open up a practice squad position?

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #109 on: August 10, 2017, 06:35:23 pm

But is Byrd makes the roster doesn't that in effect open up a practice squad position?

Bingo. Making the 53 was never a realistic goal. It took Byrd three years on the practice squad to get where he is now. Duke is talented, but not NFL ready. The mistakes he made last night are not the types of mistakes bottom roster guys can make. A couple years on the practice squad will be good for him.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #110 on: August 10, 2017, 08:22:48 pm

Bingo. Making the 53 was never a realistic goal. It took Byrd three years on the practice squad to get where he is now. Duke is talented, but not NFL ready. The mistakes he made last night are not the types of mistakes bottom roster guys can make. A couple years on the practice squad will be good for him.
.   Not 3 years on the PS. Byrd was on and off the PS in 2015 and 2016.

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #111 on: August 10, 2017, 09:39:55 pm
He may not see the field again until the last preseason game. He will need some positive film in that game.  Aside from the drops he also missed a block on a long run that could have sprung the RB for a bigger gain.  Blocking is a must for a NFL WR.  Getting in the way is not enough.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #112 on: August 10, 2017, 09:52:57 pm
oops!
but it will be interesting to see if he DOES see action next week.   a small but, perhaps, significant window into some important minds. 
i'm hoping and thinking his work ethic, willingness, and general body of work will stand out enough to count for something.  of course, i realize that he's not the only one out there that "wants" it and has worked an ass off to get it!
keep pounding, austin!  and go all niners.

"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #113 on: August 10, 2017, 10:17:34 pm
He may not see the field again until the last preseason game. He will need some positive film in that game.  Aside from the drops he also missed a block on a long run that could have sprung the RB for a bigger gain.  Blocking is a must for a NFL WR.  Getting in the way is not enough.
.    He will play this week.

MeanJoeGreen

• Sophomore
Reply #114 on: August 10, 2017, 11:22:25 pm

Agree.  Despite the overturn, the first drop has to be a fumble touchdown return in those coaches minds.  The next drop was a basic catch and run.  He also looked indecisive on the sideline and took the hit instead of getting down or out of bounds.  Making a couple of catches against the other team's scrubs doesn't change the bad performance.  On the other hand, he should learn from it.  As a fan of Jerry's team, I was happy to see that Byrd was kicking some butt.

I haven't seen any real newz about the other 49ers at their camps, including Larry.  Their heads are probably spinning from the increases in speed and complexity.  Its way early still. 

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #115 on: August 10, 2017, 11:29:46 pm

Agree.  Despite the overturn, the first drop has to be a fumble touchdown return in those coaches minds.  The next drop was a basic catch and run.  He also looked indecisive on the sideline and took the hit instead of getting down or out of bounds.  Making a couple of catches against the other team's scrubs doesn't change the bad performance.  On the other hand, he should learn from it.  As a fan of Jerry's team, I was happy to see that Byrd was kicking some butt.

I haven't seen any real newz about the other 49ers at their camps, including Larry.  Their heads are probably spinning from the increases in speed and complexity.  Its way early still.

I read an article that said Kalif is struggling with pass protection,and it has hurt his chances.  These guys may have a shot of playing somewhere professionally, but the NFL is a tough climb for most good players.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #116 on: August 11, 2017, 08:42:51 am
clt hopes that Duke stays away from peppers. Bad influence.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #117 on: August 11, 2017, 04:59:06 pm

Saw that missed block and groaned. He cannot miss and expect to make this or other team.

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #118 on: August 16, 2017, 03:53:32 pm
Well take a look. Sadly it won't be this way long.  :'(

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #119 on: August 16, 2017, 04:32:43 pm
Apparently had a GREAT day today at joint practice vs the Titans.

Had 3-4 notable catches and threw a block to spring CAP that apparently drew praises. 
One reporter said it seemed that Duke was "reclaiming" his lost reps.

If anything...maybe he's considering it a Titan's tryout in case the Panthers cut him!!!

At this point...he needs to take advantage of the reps and continue to build momentum and making plays.  The last thing he needs now is more drops and missed assignments to drop him back down off the grid of relevance again.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:06:34 pm by TRLeader »
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

HXC Niner

• Sophomore
Reply #120 on: August 16, 2017, 05:04:34 pm
-Wideouts Russell Shepard and Austin Duke made a number of receptions throughout the practice, with Duke coming up with the offense's longest reception on a flag route he caught near the goal line.

http://m.panthers.com/news/article-2/Panthers-Titans-Joint-Practice-Wednesday-Observations/f511d95d-25b2-4a0b-a7d2-6c3e914ef908

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #121 on: August 16, 2017, 07:59:07 pm
good!  he's staying in the picture but consistency is the key.   in this room of WRs i'm not sure anything other than the PS is a realistic hope.   but that would be great!
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #122 on: August 16, 2017, 08:16:59 pm
▪  Panthers receiver Austin Duke laid out for a catch on a Webb pass. Very nicely done.
[/size]▪  Later, Shepard was praising Austin Duke for a nice block on a Cameron Artis-Payne run. On the next play Duke had a catch over the middle.
Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article167526297.html#storylink=cpy

MeanJoeGreen

• Sophomore
Reply #123 on: August 20, 2017, 08:23:21 am
I probably didn't catch every play, but Duke looked much better from what I did see vs Titans

ninermike

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #124 on: August 20, 2017, 09:21:57 am

Gotta love Austin Duke

Carolina Receiving

3 Receptions, 41 yards, 13.7 per catch to lead all receivers. 

(tried to post full stats but didn't work out)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:24:32 am by ninermike »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos