Author Topic: Vegas Over/Under: 4 Wins  (Read 2621 times)

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
on: June 07, 2017, 09:56:48 am
Sounds about right to me. A couple other teams that stick out to me, they have Eastern Michigan at 4.5 wins (first opponent) and Coastal Carolina/Georgia State around 6 wins (shows you how easy the SunBelt is).

Taking the over on ODU looks mighty tempting too.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 10:31:21 am
Yeah, 4 is a good Vegas number.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 10:54:13 am
Here's the C-USA Over/ UNDER for Wins:

http://philsteele.com/Blogs/2017/JUNE17/DBJune05.html

WKU   9.5
LOUISIANA TECH   9
MIDDLE TENN   7.5
SOUTHERN MISS   7.5
UTSA   6.5
OLD DOMINION   6.5
MARSHALL   5
FIU   4.5
NORTH TEXAS   4
FL ATLANTIC   4
CHARLOTTE   4
RICE   3.5
UTEP   2.5
UAB   2.5

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:12:50 am
We need to contend for a bowl this season (5+ wins) or i'm disappointed. We need to exceed expectations and create some buzz or you have to begin questioning if we have the right staff to lead the program forward.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 11:15:50 am
Here's our 2017 opponents listed in order from highest win #:

@ WKU   9.5
@ KANSAS STATE   7.5
MIDDLE TENN   7.5
@ SOUTHERN MISS   7.5
@ OLD DOMINION   6.5
GEORGIA STATE   6
MARSHALL   5
@ EASTERN MICHIGAN   4.5
@ FIU   4.5
FL ATLANTIC   4
UAB   2.5
NC A&T   N/A

chidave

• Junior
Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 12:18:49 pm
I'd put us between (3) and (7) wins next year,  with a FCS opponent, Ga State, and UAB at home we should get a minimum of two of those.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 01:41:16 pm
Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 40 | Run: 50 | Arm: 40 | Field: 45 | Overall: 45

After winning the summer Cal Ripken League batting title with a .349 average in 2015, Netzer posted even better numbers as sophomore at UNC Charlotte last spring, hitting .384/.461/.555. His bat hasn't been quite as potent this spring, but he still has a chance to become just the second 49ers position player ever drafted in the top five rounds. The first was 1987 Royals third-rounder Stu Cole, who played briefly in the big leagues.

With a quick left-handed bat and good feel for the barrel, Netzer consistently has hit for average. He has an extremely disciplined approach, rarely chasing pitches out of the strike zone and making contact with ease. He has some raw power but his line-drive swing is more conducive to doubles than home runs.

An average runner with subpar arm strength, Netzer played left field as a freshman before moving to second base. He has been erratic defensively this year and will have to work to become an average defender at the keystone. His overall package is reminiscent of Tommy La Stella's.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 02:24:27 pm
Scouting grades: Hit: 50 | Power: 40 | Run: 50 | Arm: 40 | Field: 45 | Overall: 45

After winning the summer Cal Ripken League batting title with a .349 average in 2015, Netzer posted even better numbers as sophomore at UNC Charlotte last spring, hitting .384/.461/.555. His bat hasn't been quite as potent this spring, but he still has a chance to become just the second 49ers position player ever drafted in the top five rounds. The first was 1987 Royals third-rounder Stu Cole, who played briefly in the big leagues.

With a quick left-handed bat and good feel for the barrel, Netzer consistently has hit for average. He has an extremely disciplined approach, rarely chasing pitches out of the strike zone and making contact with ease. He has some raw power but his line-drive swing is more conducive to doubles than home runs.

An average runner with subpar arm strength, Netzer played left field as a freshman before moving to second base. He has been erratic defensively this year and will have to work to become an average defender at the keystone. His overall package is reminiscent of Tommy La Stella's.

it appears CLT died after inhaling too many zeppelin exhaust fumes.. His ghost showing the residual effects of  zeppelinmonoxide poisoning 

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 04:20:41 pm
Sounds about right to me. A couple other teams that stick out to me, they have Eastern Michigan at 4.5 wins (first opponent) and Coastal Carolina/Georgia State around 6 wins (shows you how easy the SunBelt is).

I'll take the under.  I think we struggle next season.  We just lost too much.  We just have too many new faces in important places, Klugh wasn't the same after that touchdown against Marshall,and depending on who we redshirt, we will still have depth issues (not to mention no back up QB)
Having said that, I think that 2018 is the year the training wheels come off.  I love the incoming freshman class and think we can build off of them.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 04:36:19 pm

I'll take the under.  I think we struggle next season.  We just lost too much.  We just have too many new faces in important places, Klugh wasn't the same after that touchdown against Marshall,and depending on who we redshirt, we will still have depth issues (not to mention no back up QB)
Having said that, I think that 2018 is the year the training wheels come off.  I love the incoming freshman class and think we can build off of them.

I see this season like last year, we could win 2 or we could surprise and get 6. I see A&T, Georgia State (new coach, lots of transfers, and one of the Florida schools as wins.

The offense should be more cohesive with Klugh get all of the snaps this summer with the first team. The big questions for me lie on the defense side and special teams. The secondary is solid but it will depend on what we get out of the front 7.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 06:36:26 pm

I see this season like last year, we could win 2 or we could surprise and get 6. I see A&T, Georgia State (new coach, lots of transfers, and one of the Florida schools as wins.

The offense should be more cohesive with Klugh get all of the snaps this summer with the first team. The big questions for me lie on the defense side and special teams. The secondary is solid but it will depend on what we get out of the front 7.

If the juco's can pull it together, we have upside on both lines.  That's kind of my X factor.
I think we'll beat A&T and should be favored against UAB.  I think WKU, Middle, USM and K State kill us.  ODU is probably a better than us.  I think we can can compete with the rest, but I'm concerned about depth.

Iron9er

Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 07:57:11 pm
I expect us to be slightly worse than last year, and that's not a great thing.  I think on O we will be ok.  I'm expecting our D line to be scary bad.  Like, worst in college football bad.  Hope they prove me wrong. 

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 10:11:13 am
Wow!  I'm glad I bought season tickets again!

PS: Last year was a HUGE disappointment given the talent.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 10:19:35 am
EMU will tell us a lot, if our D-Line holds up against a physical team like them we have a great chance to exceed the 4. If not, the O had better be firing on all cylinders.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 12:40:12 pm

You mean the team of FCS players and 1st/2nd year FBS recruits?

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 01:21:50 pm
http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/6/8/15743144/conference-usa-east-division-2017-win-totals-marshall-mtsu-fau-fiu-old-dominion-charlotte-wku-kiffn

Charlotte - O/U 4 wins

Jared Kalmus - I was so ready to jump on the over bet here until I checked the 49ers schedule and got cold feet. Iím afraid Charlotte will be vastly improved in 2017 but might not have many extra wins to prove it. Opening the season on the road against a surging Eastern Michigan program is no easy task and Georgia Stateís passing game could give Charlotte hell. Iím going to have to reluctantly take the under.

Tanner Spearman - Man, itís a rough pick here. Honestly four feels about right. Iíll hesitantly take the over. Iím not hesitating because I donít think Charlotte will be better, but because many of their ďbeatableĒ opponents will be, too. How they fare against the Florida schools will have a huge part of this.

Cyrus Smith - Charlotte had the benefit of sneaking up on teams after a rough 2015 season. That wonít be the case this year during conference play. Iím going with the under as I think theyíll have a tough time stopping anyone during conference play but if they beat Eastern Michigan to open the season I could see that resulting in a push.

A.J. Grande - Though I really do want Charlotte to succeed, I feel like theyíll push here. That being said, donít be surprised at all if they end up going over four wins. I just wouldnít put my money on it with the type of schedule they drew.

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 01:28:12 pm

So give me the year excuses no longer apply?

chidave

• Junior
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 01:39:40 pm
2018 you can pull the "new" tag off the program.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2017, 01:54:51 pm

Next year, we will have 3.5/4 years of FBS recruits and 2 years of bowl eligibility.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #19 on: June 08, 2017, 01:58:48 pm
http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/6/8/15743144/conference-usa-east-division-2017-win-totals-marshall-mtsu-fau-fiu-old-dominion-charlotte-wku-kiffn

Charlotte - O/U 4 wins

Jared Kalmus - I was so ready to jump on the over bet here until I checked the 49ers schedule and got cold feet. Iím afraid Charlotte will be vastly improved in 2017 but might not have many extra wins to prove it. Opening the season on the road against a surging Eastern Michigan program is no easy task and Georgia Stateís passing game could give Charlotte hell. Iím going to have to reluctantly take the under.

Tanner Spearman - Man, itís a rough pick here. Honestly four feels about right. Iíll hesitantly take the over. Iím not hesitating because I donít think Charlotte will be better, but because many of their ďbeatableĒ opponents will be, too. How they fare against the Florida schools will have a huge part of this.

Cyrus Smith - Charlotte had the benefit of sneaking up on teams after a rough 2015 season. That wonít be the case this year during conference play. Iím going with the under as I think theyíll have a tough time stopping anyone during conference play but if they beat Eastern Michigan to open the season I could see that resulting in a push.

A.J. Grande - Though I really do want Charlotte to succeed, I feel like theyíll push here. That being said, donít be surprised at all if they end up going over four wins. I just wouldnít put my money on it with the type of schedule they drew.

what does ariania grande's brother know anyway?

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2017, 03:01:02 pm

2018.  That's the year we should compete on the field with the conference (except maybe WKU).
If they go less than 4-4 in conference in 2018, I will support looking for a new coach.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #21 on: June 08, 2017, 03:13:53 pm
I think the over/under # is fair, and a push wouldn't surprise me at all.

We lost a few really talented players that we will have varying levels of difficulty replacing, but I think we will be a more even, deeper team in terms of talent. I don't know what that does to the win total for sure, and matching last year seems within the realm of likelihood.

I think we will miss Duke the most after Larry. Not to slight KP, who I still love as a player, but we have two strong young backs to pick up his load. I expect the OL to be better than the banged up unit we played with last year which will help too. I don't know yet if they can pass block (we couldn't last year) and if we have anyone who can stretch the field like Duke would occasionally do.

The biggest story for the team though is Ogunjobi and Banks leaving, and our lack of any completely established D Linemen. We had a couple of guys who split time, and that's it. The young guys look great on paper, but no idea if any of them can play a lick and we didn't even see a few of them in spring. Guys like Adams and Wilson may not get a RS (I think Adams at least could benefit from it if he wants to be the next Larry) simply because we have to find a rotation that can get pressure and stop the run. We did a really solid job against the run last year but couldn't stop a controlled passing game to save our lives. If we struggle against the run this year and still cant get edge pressure on QBs, we are gonna give up 50 pts per game against FBS opponents, and then our offense won't really matter aside from field position. So it's all about this young DL quickly emerging and establishing itself if we are gonna win any games this season. 

The rest of the defense looks decent. We have more depth, and hopefully wont be physically done in the middle of the 3rd quarter like in recent years.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 03:16:59 pm by NinerAdvocate »

Iron9er

Reply #22 on: June 08, 2017, 09:11:28 pm
I read a stat on Larry leading up to the draft, that among defensive tackles, he had the highest percentage of tackles on run plays (either in the draft or in college football).  That's truly impressive for a 3-4 NT, but terrifying for our run defense this year. 

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #23 on: June 08, 2017, 09:29:15 pm
Still have excuses to use this year? Kicking the can I see.

chasmo101

• Junior
Reply #24 on: June 08, 2017, 10:04:38 pm

Last 2 games we had 4 offensive line starters out... we didn't have the depth to overcome. You could see the change in the 2nd half with Rice when we lost 2 players for the contest.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos