Author Topic: 2017 Preseason Football Thread  (Read 10720 times)

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #50 on: August 04, 2017, 07:12:58 pm

From what I've seen it looks like our D-line position groupings are

DE's : Duncan, Suydam, Carroll, Hardy, Miller, Ray, Doctor

NT's : Fain, Horne, Adams, Martin

I think we can find two decent starters out of the DE group, but the NT group is scary.

I was looking forward to seeing Chrishawn Wilson play...http://247sports.com/player/chrishawn-wilson-83906

Any chance that he didn't get added to the roster yet?? Seems raw but really talented. I thought he even might be good enough to see the field as a true freshman.

i hope he is added to roster soon. he has a ton of upside. where is cam bent also? those would be tough guys to lose.

Bent has been practicing. Don't know why he isn't listed.

Niner17

• Walk On
Reply #51 on: August 04, 2017, 07:18:25 pm

From what I've seen it looks like our D-line position groupings are

DE's : Duncan, Suydam, Carroll, Hardy, Miller, Ray, Doctor

NT's : Fain, Horne, Adams, Martin

I think we can find two decent starters out of the DE group, but the NT group is scary.

I was looking forward to seeing Chrishawn Wilson play...http://247sports.com/player/chrishawn-wilson-83906

Any chance that he didn't get added to the roster yet?? Seems raw but really talented. I thought he even might be good enough to see the field as a true freshman.

i hope he is added to roster soon. he has a ton of upside. where is cam bent also? those would be tough guys to lose.

Bent has been practicing. Don't know why he isn't listed.

Cameron Bent is listed. I don't know how to add the screenshot of the roster but I just checked

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:19:58 pm by Niner17 »

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #52 on: August 05, 2017, 07:23:21 pm
Anyone know why Chrishawn Wilson isn't with the team? Need players like him on the line desperately.

Niner2395

• Walk On
Reply #53 on: August 05, 2017, 09:59:53 pm
I couldnt find him or Austin Paraison either. I expected both to contribute this season...thats not good.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #54 on: August 06, 2017, 07:04:50 am
The more I looked at what I hope is just a preliminary roster (guys can still get enrolled), the more names I noticed were missing. So I attempted to make a list of all of the ones we expected to be on the roster, whether as signees or carryovers. The list is surprisingly long. By my count, it's 17 guys:

Jalen Allen   Jr   OL    6'3   287
Theis Bagnkop   So   OL    6'4   305
AD Cunningham   RS So   LB   6'1   220
Cam Darley   Sr   LB   6'3   256
DeAnthony O'Neill   Fr   DE   6'1   225
Austin Paraison   RS Fr   DL   6'6   305
Chris Phillips   Fr   TE   6'2   220
Akease Rankin   RS So   RB   6'0   194
Mark Shekletski   Fr   OL    6'4   290
Jordan Starnes   Rs Sr   LB   6'3   244
Josh Stewart   Rs So   LB   6'1    225
Keevin Thompson   Jr   RB   5'6   203
Nick Vagnone   Rs Jr   LB   6'0   195
Chrishawn Wilson   Fr   DL   6'6   247
Tre'shun Wynn   Rs Jr   DB   6'0   160
Carl Yonter   Rs Jr   LB   6'3   215
Christian Young   So   LB   6'1   215

Now, admittedly, several of those carryovers, AFAIK, never got any PT. Their departures are unfortunately a typical casualty of a large roster sport. But a few of those guys, I am genuinely concerned about. Wilson, Paraison, Allen, Bagnkop, Wynn (who has been a casualty of this list before), plus pretty much all the Freshmen signees that aren't on there. Never got to see what Rankin could do in a crowded backfield either (his twitter has been full of inspirational quotes like he has been going through struggles). I thought the staff was fairly high on AD Cunningham when they signed him too.

One surprise roster appearance already mentioned was:

Jaylen Miller    Rs Sr   DL   6'3    260

This guy originally committed to, and IIRC, played @ Tennessee. We need all the DL help we can get, though I feel like we need interior DL in the worst way. This guy hasn't played much football in the past four years though. He barely saw the field at UT (mop up duty), sat out 2015, and here were his 2016 stats at Limestone:

http://www.golimestonesaints.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8199&path=football 

He had 17 tackles and 5 sacks, playing in 9 games. A former 3 star ESPN "80" graded recruit, with 9 P5 offers, this seems like his last chance to prove his skills. 

The freshman class looks good, but if all of those 17 are defections, we are not going to be able to RS all these guys and have any level of depth (or a real NT rotation). I suspect several of them are going to have to play out of necessity, even if I would have preferred that a couple of them RS (I think Adams reminds me of Larry in terms of size and freshman body - Larry effectively RS'd and continued to work on his body):

Cam Bent   Fr   WR   6'0    180
Mic Roof   Fr   QB   6'3   190
Victor Tucker   Fr   WR   5'11   170
Cameron Dollar   Fr   WR   6'2   195
Kameron Duncan   Fr   RB   5'10   195
Jai Erwin   Fr   LB   6'1   215
Henry Segura   Fr   LB   6'2   190
Cody Bartum   Fr   LB   6'0   200
Javonte Misenheimer   Fr   LB   6'1   214
Jonathon Francois   Fr   LB   6'1   225
Sherrod Sutton   Fr   LB   6'3    215
Ernest King   Fr   DL   6'1    263
Jacob Webb   Fr   OL   6'6   260
D'mitri Emmanuel   Fr   OL   6'3    300
Tim Baten   Fr   DL   6'6   265
Zach Gemmell   Fr   WR   6'2   190
Antoine Shaw   Fr   TE   6'4   220
Michael Adams   Fr   DL   6'2   307

It's a WR and LB heavy class per the roster. I thought Francois, Emmanuel, Bent, Sutton, & King had the greatest likelihood of playing, though I suspect Duncan and Adams and probably a few more (that I havent watched as closely) have the talent to do it (Duncan would be wise IMHO to RS with Lemay and RW in front of him - I really liked his hudl reel, but we need to space out the RBs a little more).

I still think this roster is painfully thin at interior DL, and we have to find 4 serviceable DE's on this roster, which may be a stretch as it's an incredibly young DL roster. If we don't have Parasion that hurts (I haven't seen him play but man was he big). And I loved Allen's tape at OG. Man I hope we get those guys enrolled and on the roster. We could use both of them. The more I look at that DL, the more I think Wilson likely would have earned a starting job at one DE very quickly.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:25:05 am by NinerAdvocate »

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #55 on: August 06, 2017, 08:18:42 am
Thanks for taking the time to put that together, NA. I really really hope the roster is just not completely listed yet. If not, something must have happened to have lost that many non-Graduating players in a single offseason. It's always one step forward, two steps back with this team.

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #56 on: August 06, 2017, 08:25:49 am
The more I looked at what I hope is just a preliminary roster (guys can still get enrolled), the more names I noticed were missing. So I attempted to make a list of all of the ones we expected to be on the roster, whether as signees or carryovers. The list is surprisingly long. By my count, it's 17 guys:

Now, admittedly, several of those carryovers, AFAIK, never got any PT. Their departures are unfortunately a typical casualty of a large roster sport. But a few of those guys, I am genuinely concerned about. Wilson, Paraison, Allen, Bagnkop, Wynn (who has been a casualty of this list before), plus pretty much all the Freshmen signees that aren't on there. Never got to see what Rankin could do in a crowded backfield either (his twitter has been full of inspirational quotes like he has been going through struggles). I thought the staff was fairly high on AD Cunningham when they signed him too.

This guy originally committed to, and IIRC, played @ Tennessee. We need all the DL help we can get, though I feel like we need interior DL in the worst way. This guy hasn't played much football in the past four years though. He barely saw the field at UT (mop up duty), sat out 2015, and here were his 2016 stats at Limestone:

He had 17 tackles and 5 sacks, playing in 9 games. A former 3 star ESPN "80" graded recruit, with 9 P5 offers, this seems like his last chance to prove his skills. 

The freshman class looks good, but if all of those 17 are defections, we are not going to be able to RS all these guys and have any level of depth (or a real NT rotation). I suspect several of them are going to have to play out of necessity, even if I would have preferred that a couple of them RS (I think Adams reminds me of Larry in terms of size and freshman body - Larry effectively RS'd and continued to work on his body):

It's a WR and LB heavy class per the roster. I thought Francois, Emmanuel, Bent, Sutton, & King had the greatest likelihood of playing, though I suspect Duncan and Adams and probably a few more (that I havent watched as closely) have the talent to do it (Duncan would be wise IMHO to RS with Lemay and RW in front of him - I really liked his hudl reel, but we need to space out the RBs a little more).

I still think this roster is painfully thin at interior DL, and we have to find 4 serviceable DE's on this roster, which may be a stretch as it's an incredibly young DL roster. If we don't have Parasion that hurts (I haven't seen him play but man was he big). And I loved Allen's tape at OG. Man I hope we get those guys enrolled and on the roster. We could use both of them. The more I look at that DL, the more I think Wilson likely would have earned a starting job at one DE very quickly.

Thanks for the incredibly thorough break down.  Man we are going to have to score a ton of points to compete I am afraid.  Unfortunately, the fast paced offense we run is exactly what a thin defensive front does not need. 

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #57 on: August 06, 2017, 09:49:04 am

I'll try to help update you:

Treshun Wynn left the program a year and half ago and won't be back.

Cam Darley and Christian Young are on the roster.

Chris Phillips was at media day yesterday and in team photo so I expect him to be added to the roster.

I believe Paraison, Bangnop, Rankin and Cunningham have left the team and I don't know why. (Paraison would be a big loss if he is in fact gone)

Jordan Starnes had a serious knee injury in the spring game, has decided to hang it up.

DeAnthony O'Neil decided to go to a smaller school.

Vagnone, Yonter, Thompson, and Stewart were all walk-ons.

It looks like Allen, Shetletski, and Wilson won't be Niners (at least this year) as none of them are with the team.

It sucks some guys never make it to campus but that's life in college football.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:52:26 am by _BL_Niner »

NinerAdvocate

Reply #58 on: August 06, 2017, 09:50:55 am
Isn't Lambert coaching the DL now?

He's gonna have to do some of his best work of his career to develop that line into a decent unit. It's just too young and inexperienced to be able to stop anyone or apply any QB pressure.

I have nightmares of every team running the ball right up the gut over and over on us. We took Larry for granted for years. Teams just couldn't do it. He took away that facet of almost every offense we faced.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #59 on: August 06, 2017, 09:54:27 am
I'll try to help update you:

Treshun Wynn left the program a year and half ago and won't be back.

Cam Darley and Christian Young are on the roster.

Chris Phillips was at media day yesterday and in team photo so I expect him to be added to the roster.

I believe Paraison, Bangnop, Rankin and Cunningham have left the team and I don't know why.

Jordan Starnes had a serious knee injury in the spring game, has decided to hang it up.

DeAnthony O'Neil decided to go to a smaller school.

Vagnone, Yonter, Thompson, and Stewart were all walk-ons.

It looks like Allen, Shetletski, and Wilson won't be Niners (at least this year) as none of them are with the team.

It sucks some guys never make it to campus but that's life in college football.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. It wouldn't be a Niner athletics program without this kind of crap. We really needed Allen, Wilson and Paraison. Shetletski was a guy I thought was a future starter (in a couple of years) and nice depth for now. 

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #60 on: August 06, 2017, 09:59:33 am
I'm glad  I barely pay attention to football recruiting.  I get way less upset about guys that never make it because I don't know anything about them anyway.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #61 on: August 06, 2017, 10:16:11 am
I pay a lot more attention once the ink comes in on signing day. A lot of these guys were expected to contribute early on. This isn't lamenting that we didn't get this guy over that guy. The point here is that these losses are now holes in our roster. A big reason for why we supposedly wore down the last couple of years was a lack of depth. Replacing roughly 14-15 players with about 18 guys, 75+% of whom you will probably redshirt based on your coaching staff's longstanding approach, does not cure the depth issue.

We lost a s*** ton of guys from that first class. I forget the total number, but it was easily about 17-19. Then you add another 12 or so scholarship guy to that, and that's 29-31 departures, and we only bring in 17 freshmen plus maybe 3 jucos.

The RS will be off last year's class, but man, we have blown a chance to finally have FBS depth. That and the super weak DL are my only concerns. I liked the rest of this team. Don't want to have such glaring weaknesses. 

I want to win this year. This is year 5 of our program, year 6 of operations. It is time to win. Right now. I'd play the 40 or so best players we have regardless of class, and I'd skip RS where we need depth. It's a long season.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:32:26 am by NinerAdvocate »

Niner17

• Walk On
Reply #62 on: August 06, 2017, 10:50:39 am
http://philsteele.com/miscpages/Injuries/Out%20for%20Year.html

Phil Steele just put out a list of transfers and injuries around the FBS that have occurred since the end of May. Charlotte has no mention of any such players. I hope it's just our inept AD or someone that failed to update the roster....

Whatever the case, that list of FIU players is quite large as well  ::)

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #63 on: August 06, 2017, 11:08:07 am
Everyone needs to relax. Lambert has everything under control.

FortyNiner

• Walk On
Reply #64 on: August 06, 2017, 11:21:25 am

Breakdown of the 2017 Roster
12 DB
14 DL
5 H
2 K
23 LB
2 LS
15 OL
2 P
4 QB
4 RB
1 TE
14 WR
<span style=\\\'color:green\\\'><span style=\\\'font-size:21pt;line-height:100%\\\'>The University of Charlotte</span></span>

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #65 on: August 06, 2017, 07:48:35 pm
Cunningham has had several concussions and I think that is the reason he left the program.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #66 on: August 07, 2017, 09:02:07 am
Media Day

(Summary)

(Washington)

(Klugh)

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #67 on: August 07, 2017, 09:31:50 am
DeAnthony O'Neil decided to go to a smaller school. - He went JUCO.

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
Reply #68 on: August 07, 2017, 11:21:25 am
Roster breakdown by state

NC-50

FL-13

SC-9

GA-9

VA-7

CA-2

WV-2

OH-1

TN-1

WI-1

KS-1

KY-1

NY-1

DC-1

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #69 on: August 07, 2017, 02:38:22 pm
Paraison is indeed gone.

ice_cold49er

• Sophomore
Reply #70 on: August 07, 2017, 03:57:50 pm
Paraison is indeed gone.

Ugh!  I was hoping he could really help.
The Things I Would Always Like To See From 49ers Mens Basketball:

1. Good young men with good character.

2. Actually be taught good fundamental defense.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #71 on: August 07, 2017, 06:18:44 pm
Media Day

(Summary) clt says sup

(Washington)

(Klugh)

MeanJoeGreen

• Sophomore
Reply #72 on: August 08, 2017, 08:37:27 am
Glad to see they discarded the embarrassing wall wrap that never fit.  I cannot believe it was in place more than a few weeks.   Measure twice, order once.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #73 on: August 08, 2017, 08:53:37 am
Glad to see they discarded the embarrassing wall wrap that never fit.  I cannot believe it was in place more than a few weeks.   Measure twice, order once.

Who said they discarded it? They usually take it down in the offseason. I liked it aside from where it got damaged (and wasn't repaired), and the bare ass concrete wall looks like s***.

If they did indeed get rid of it, they'd better have another plan. Leaving it as is looks horrendous. More terrible optics - last thing we need. From what I understand it was paid for by the sponsors on it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:55:14 am by NinerAdvocate »

MeanJoeGreen

• Sophomore
Reply #74 on: August 08, 2017, 08:57:45 am
I like concrete

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos