Author Topic: clt floats a name  (Read 1942 times)

ghostofclt

• Sophomore

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:00:05 am
Lots of good coaches that could come in a be a good fit here.

Although I don't think we could get him, we're too much of a step down. I would be thrilled if we did.

mojoniner

• Walk On
Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:12:49 am
Mike Houston

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:19:09 am
Mike Houston

We've missed the boat on him I'm afraid.. His next job will be AAC level at the very worst.. Unless its App.. he has some local ties there IIRC.

JCohen84

• Walk On
Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:26:12 am
I agree that he has leaped well over us. The thing that is unfortunate is he has roots in the Asheville to Hickory areas of the region. He is a NC guy!!

He came to a speaking function at my work last year prior to the National Championship run and he definitely has the fire and energy that I think a lot of you are looking for in a coach/leader. His message and his vision are very clear and he seems to lay those standards everywhere he arrives. 

I think a huge coaching star in the making (Not a PJ Fleck flash in the pan type)

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:48:49 am
Scott Satterfield

mojoniner

• Walk On
Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:35:34 am
Mike Houston

We've missed the boat on him I'm afraid.. His next job will be AAC level at the very worst.. Unless its App.. he has some local ties there IIRC.

He is from Franklin which is close to WCU

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 02:19:26 pm
Ruffin McNeil would be my top realistic choice. NC native, deep recruiting ties throughout the state, and a guy that was well loved and deeply respected by his players at ECU. If you can build a good G5 program in Greenville, you can build one here.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 02:34:24 pm
Ruffin McNeil would be my top realistic choice. NC native, deep recruiting ties throughout the state, and a guy that was well loved and deeply respected by his players at ECU. If you can build a good G5 program in Greenville, you can build one here.
Ruffin McNeil was 42-34 at ECU. If we're going to hire a retread, I'd prefer someone that at least made a bigger splash during their tenure to be honest.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 02:38:31 pm
Ruffin McNeil was 42-34 at ECU. If we're going to hire a retread, I'd prefer someone that at least made a bigger splash during their tenure to be honest.

McNeil would create the 3rd or 4th biggest splash in the entire country when it comes to retreads.

#FatJoke

d_whitley

• Walk On
  • Charlotte c/o 17'
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 04:12:09 pm
What Ruffin McNeil lacks in wins at ECU he makes up for in respect and name recognition. We'd be all over the news for stealing EasyU's last good football coach. He's kind of like a classier Lane Kiffin from NC football.
#RockSolid #49ersMBB #NinerStandards
Twitter: d_whitley1 - 49Shades_Green

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 04:27:44 pm

I'm a huge Ruff homer, and I don't want to sound biased, but I'd also kill to be 42 - 34. He's an awesome guy, a solid coach and a better man.  ECU fans were complete lunatics to get rid of him.  When you have a guy that's making chicken salad out of chicken crap, you have to keep him, even if his chicken salad isn't great.  And not only that, he was an ECU alum.

Once a guy proves that he can win at a place, you know he can coach.  Coaches don't just magically show up one day and accept losing.  Usually their situation changes, or they are so successful they become complacent.   Ruff's situation changed.  They went from a conference in which they were a top tier program to one in which they were a lower tier program, and their record reflected that.  It's always going to be difficult for a school facing ECU's challenges (airport, crappy town, less than stellar academics) to compete with schools in better situations.  ECU can't sniff the resources other schools in the AAC have. That's why we all have hope in Charlotte. Every one of us knows how much better our location and academics are than many of our peers.  We just need the AD to get motivated and catch up.

We know Ruff can coach.  My question would be, could our AD have a situation in place in which he could thrive.  I personally think the answer to that is no.  That's why they haven't hired any proven head coaches, and they don't want to hire any proven head coaches.  A proven coach could tell our situation is a joke from the word go.  In that respect I'm not sure it matters who we hire. 

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:38:12 pm by ImfromClayton »
#bus1

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 04:54:20 pm
Mike Houston

and if app has a season that lives up to preseason expectations, there is a string chance they'll be looking for a coach too.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 07:02:40 pm
bump
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

rtown49er

• Walk On
Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 09:09:49 am
Les Miles

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 09:18:44 pm
I've heard Chuck Amato is still keen on us.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 09:33:14 pm
Gene Chizik has head coaching experience at the highest level and already has connections with high school coaches in this state.[/font]

BigTymers99

• Walk On
Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 10:26:44 pm
Thread is wishful thinking, each person mentioned has their own personality and will not become a puppet, which is the first criteria Judy seeks in any coaching candidate in any sport.

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 02:40:28 pm
Thread is wishful thinking, each person mentioned has their own personality and will not become a puppet, which is the first criteria Judy seeks in any coaching candidate in any sport.

As long as its wishful thinking just I'll throw in a name. Sam Hinkie
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 04:25:16 pm
clt wants to win.

Gassman

• Junior
Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 05:15:45 pm

Lol. Hinkie would not hesitate to come in and tear down the AD to the studs and rebuild it. He isn't afraid of backlash or losing. He got such a raw deal on philly.

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 12:09:09 am

Lol. Hinkie would not hesitate to come in and tear down the AD to the studs and rebuild it. He isn't afraid of backlash or losing. He got such a raw deal on philly.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/16597961/sam-hinkie-just-win-tale-process-ultimate-fall

He was a very detail oriented man. He even went as far as getting photos of the refs and names to display in the bathroom stalls just so the players would know who they are and address them properly because he believed it would be beneficial

"So many of my friends will tell me, 'Don't do that. Don't try that. It's going to end poorly. They'll run you out,' And that's the reason to do it ... There's a huge agency problem in the whole business, particularly in my role: Keep the job."

-Sam Hinkie
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

ProudNiner13

• Walk On
Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 12:16:51 pm
https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/08/24/coaching-carousel-preview-best-candidates-assistants-hires

I know there is "0" chances of getting the head coaches on this list. However, there are some possibilities on the assistance list that wouldn't be a bad get for us. Just a thought....
Hating the Tar Holes since '89

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos