Author Topic: 2017-2018 Opponents  (Read 7449 times)

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #50 on: August 14, 2017, 05:34:46 am
It seems that this will be the theme under Price. Doesn't want to hurt RPI by playing an Oregon State every year. I don't agree with it, but we are stuck with this for the foreseeable future it looks like.

This has nothing to do with RPI. We're about to have a fifth consecutive season outside the top 100.

This is all about saving a few bucks.

... and trying to add a W to the win column where it is misleading to anyone looking at it. Teams should have to at the very least put an asterik and comment for wins against non-d1. The school should exclude the W from the actual record because it's embarrassing.

I can't remember Prices contract but I wonder if there is a W incentive and the school didn't put "D-1" in the language.

Worst Case Scenario:  What if we lose?
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #51 on: August 14, 2017, 09:37:42 am
It seems that this will be the theme under Price. Doesn't want to hurt RPI by playing an Oregon State every year. I don't agree with it, but we are stuck with this for the foreseeable future it looks like.

This has nothing to do with RPI. We're about to have a fifth consecutive season outside the top 100.

This is all about saving a few bucks.

... and trying to add a W to the win column where it is misleading to anyone looking at it. Teams should have to at the very least put an asterik and comment for wins against non-d1. The school should exclude the W from the actual record because it's embarrassing.

I can't remember Prices contract but I wonder if there is a W incentive and the school didn't put "D-1" in the language.

Ha!  Most people don't realize how good these D-2 teams can be.

If only Methodist were D-2 we could hold our heads high as we pulled out a last minute win against a bunch of undersized, but scrappy kids that did not start in high school.  Methodist however, is D-3.  These non-scholarship athletes could not win the intramural championship at Charlotte, but will probably give our scaredy-cat team all they can handle as we struggle to build a winning record.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #52 on: August 14, 2017, 10:13:12 am
I can't believe we're playing Methodist as a regular season game. All the crap we gave other teams' fans about their teams playing ridiculous opponents and counting it can now be thrown back at us.

The conference should be pissed, unless they think we can't win against even the worst D-1 opponents.

This has to be a make-or-break year for Price. I'd say he's behind right now and needs a big leap forward to catch up to consider an extension, unless we really have given up on basketball.

Edit: just to add, aside from Methodist and no exempt tournament, this schedule is not bad. If they had just scheduled some D-1 school from the MEAC instead of a D-3 school, then I don't think this gets as much criticism.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:16:53 am by 9erken »

49erCC

• Sophomore
Reply #53 on: August 14, 2017, 12:24:31 pm
If we didnt count Methodist as a W our 84/85 basketball team would have only 4 wins instead of 5!
Glory Days
The next season, enter Jeff Mullins!!

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #54 on: August 14, 2017, 01:23:49 pm
If we didnt count Methodist as a W our 84/85 basketball team would have only 4 wins instead of 5!
Glory Days
Hustleball!!!!!!!

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #55 on: August 14, 2017, 01:38:32 pm
Glory Days
Hustleball!!!!!!!

Flash Cards!

Iron9er

• Senior Captain
Reply #56 on: August 14, 2017, 06:06:37 pm
I can't believe we're playing Methodist as a regular season game. All the crap we gave other teams' fans about their teams playing ridiculous opponents and counting it can now be thrown back at us.

The conference should be pissed, unless they think we can't win against even the worst D-1 opponents.

This has to be a make-or-break year for Price. I'd say he's behind right now and needs a big leap forward to catch up to consider an extension, unless we really have given up on basketball.

Edit: just to add, aside from Methodist and no exempt tournament, this schedule is not bad. If they had just scheduled some D-1 school from the MEAC instead of a D-3 school, then I don't think this gets as much criticism.

I agree with everything you say here.  Maybe we tried to schedule Presbyterian and wound up with Methodist instead? 

Just shows you also how our fan base has regressed.  If Lutz or Major tried this, they would be absolutely skewered on here. 
"Congrats. You guys beat our ass last night and it was a pretty pathetic performance on the glass and downlow." - StillJonesing - December 2, 2012.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #57 on: August 14, 2017, 06:09:30 pm

The conference would have to care in order to be pissed.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #58 on: August 14, 2017, 07:19:14 pm
Glory Days

Are you saying that the last time we played Methodist in a regular season game, the next year we had a new Athletic Director?  If so, I could get behind scheduling this game.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #59 on: August 14, 2017, 07:34:05 pm
Glory Days

Are you saying that the last time we played Methodist in a regular season game, the next year we had a new Athletic Director?  If so, I could get behind scheduling this game.
  ;D ;D

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #60 on: August 14, 2017, 10:45:13 pm

The conference would have to care in order to be pissed.
Last season ODU and WKU were the only C-USA schools that did not play any regular season games versus  non-D-I teams. The Niners, Marshall, Middle Tennessee, UAB and UTEP each played one, while FAU, FIU, LA Tech, North Texas, Rice, Southern Miss and UTSA each played two for a total of 19 such contests.

Former conference member East Carolina was probably the worst offender. During 13 seasons in C-USA, the Pirates played 36 non-D-I regular season games, including four each of the final three years before joining the AAC.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:46:52 pm by Run49er »

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #61 on: August 15, 2017, 07:33:03 am
And their basketball is probably why ECU was invited to the AAC as a football-only member. We need to be better than that.  ECU got once in a lifetime lucky that they were in the right place at the right time when teams started bailing out of the AAC.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:40:31 am by Nugget »

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #62 on: August 15, 2017, 07:49:23 am
ECU got once in a lifetime lucky that they were in the right place at the right time when teams started bailing out of the AAC.

I don't think it was all luck.  They realized the importance of a large fan base and a large stadium, not to mention they actively and vigorously persued moving to a better conference. 

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #63 on: August 15, 2017, 09:12:48 am
ECU got once in a lifetime lucky that they were in the right place at the right time when teams started bailing out of the AAC.

I don't think it was all luck.  They realized the importance of a large fan base and a large stadium, not to mention they actively and vigorously persued moving to a better conference.
Just b/c we didn't drop to our knees publicly doesn't mean we didn't try.

upperdeck

• Sophomore
Reply #64 on: August 15, 2017, 09:31:31 am

They were willing to sell out their entire athletics program for football. The other sports would have ended up back in the CAA or worse. The got lucky that the Big East scattered and those left were willing to take the baggage from the other sports.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #65 on: August 15, 2017, 09:52:39 am

They were willing to sell out their entire athletics program for football. The other sports would have ended up back in the CAA or worse. The got lucky that the Big East scattered and those left were willing to take the baggage from the other sports.

Bingo.  ECU's football was an attractive product and the AAC offered...for football only.  Had their basketball not been a dumpster fire since forever the AAC would have offered full membership, but they didn't.  Only when Louisville and Rutgers bailed, and Cincy and UCONN publicly announced their desire to bail, did the AAC throw ECU a lifeline.  Interestingly, in the 3 seasons since then the Pirate's basketball has gotten worse--who knew that was possible, and their football has gotten worse.  However, Greenville, NC has stayed the same, so there is that.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #66 on: August 15, 2017, 10:09:28 am

Bingo.  ECU's football was an attractive product and the AAC offered...for football only.  Had their basketball not been a dumpster fire since forever the AAC would have offered full membership, but they didn't.  Only when Louisville and Rutgers bailed, and Cincy and UCONN publicly announced their desire to bail, did the AAC throw ECU a lifeline.  Interestingly, in the 3 seasons since then the Pirate's basketball has gotten worse--who knew that was possible, and their football has gotten worse.  However, Greenville, NC has stayed the same, so there is that.

I would have been happy if we had gone to the Big East/AAC for football only if we could have left basketball in the A10.

If ECU's public attempts had failed, the general perception would have been that ECU was almost good enough to go to the Big East/AAC (they originally started their attempt to move up before the Big East split).  Like it or not, that perception of almost being good enough is much better than the perception most of the public has of us.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #67 on: September 13, 2017, 10:48:20 pm
Georgetown dropped out of the Phil Knight Invitational this week. 

If we were savvy we'd have Coach Price on the phone with Coach Ewing (both coached on Hornets) trying to put together round-robin event. Two teams on our schedule are also not yet attached to an exempt event (James Madison, High Point), a MEAC team could be tied in and we'd get another home game paid for by the guarantee we'd get from Georgetown.

If we were savvy.
Ewing has been catching all kind of flack for the Hoyas 2017-18 OOC schedule, which includes seven opponents who were in the 320-351 RPI range last season.

11/12 vs Jacksonville
11/15 vs Mount St. Mary’s
11/18 vs Maryland-Eastern Shore
11/25 @ Richmond
11/18 vs Maine
12/3 vs Coppin State
12/7 vs Howard
12/9 vs North Carolina A&T
12/16 vs Syracuse
12/20 vs North Texas
12/23 vs Alabama A&M

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #68 on: September 13, 2017, 11:10:11 pm
Georgetown dropped out of the Phil Knight Invitational this week. 

If we were savvy we'd have Coach Price on the phone with Coach Ewing (both coached on Hornets) trying to put together round-robin event. Two teams on our schedule are also not yet attached to an exempt event (James Madison, High Point), a MEAC team could be tied in and we'd get another home game paid for by the guarantee we'd get from Georgetown.

If we were savvy.
Ewing has been catching all kind of flack for the Hoyas 2017-18 OOC schedule, which includes seven opponents who were in the 320-351 RPI range last season.

11/12 vs Jacksonville
11/15 vs Mount St. Mary’s
11/18 vs Maryland-Eastern Shore
11/25 @ Richmond
11/18 vs Maine
12/3 vs Coppin State
12/7 vs Howard
12/9 vs North Carolina A&T
12/16 vs Syracuse
12/20 vs North Texas
12/23 vs Alabama A&M
wow, that's ugly. We have a better ooc than that.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #69 on: September 20, 2017, 06:57:16 pm
Jon Rothstein includes the College of Charleston among a list of mid-majors to watch during the upcoming season.
Charleston: With Kevin Keatts now at NC State and North Carolina-Wilmington no longer expected to sit atop the Colonial Athletic Association, the door is wide open for the Cougars to take advantage.

Earl Grant quietly directed Charleston to a 25-win season a year ago, including an appearance in the Postseason NIT and a hard-fought loss in the CAA title game.

The Cougars return three All-CAA players — guards Joe Chealey and Grant Riller and big man Jarrell Brantley.

The 6-7, 245-pound Brantley had 20 points and 11 rebounds in March’s CAA title game loss against UNC-Wilmington and could flirt with averaging a double-double next season.

Charleston will travel to face two league favorites — Wichita State and Rhode Island — before beginning conference play in the CAA next season.
Fanragsports.com: Rothstein | 5 mid-majors to watch during 17-18 CBB season
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:58:50 pm by Run49er »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos