Author Topic: EMU Postgame  (Read 4508 times)

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 07:15:43 am
Down 7-17 with 60 sec left in the 2nd quarter, 4th and 2 at the 50 yd line... coach decides to run the clock down to 30 sec and punt. Why not snap at 30 sec and go for it? If you don't make it you leave them 25 sec.

We should have at least lined up for the snap and tried to draw them offsides, which would have given us a first down.  If they did not jump, we could have then run a play before time expired or call time.
Dead on. Just standing around calling TO was worst thing to do.

Ninercentral

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 07:19:07 am
Down 7-17 with 60 sec left in the 2nd quarter, 4th and 2 at the 50 yd line... coach decides to run the clock down to 30 sec and punt. Why not snap at 30 sec and go for it? If you don't make it you leave them 25 sec.

We should have at least lined up for the snap and tried to draw them offsides, which would have given us a first down.  If they did not jump, we could have then run a play before time expired or call time.
Dead on. Just standing around calling TO was worst thing to do.

Yeah that was really bad

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 07:36:49 am
Before the season started I was expecting this to be a competitive win for the niners. I was mistaken. The defense looked fine but the offense seems to have taken a step back from last year. Mullen seems limited in his schemes. I'm also starting to wonder if Lambert is the coach that can take the program over the hump to the next phase.
you're just now starting to wonder that?

We have had 4 years of questionable decisions, playcalling, and undisciplined play. Things that extend beyond the talent level of the players we have been able to recruit.  Lambert may pass the ear test when you stick him in front of a mic, but he has never passed the eye test on the field.

My ear test finds Lambert bland and boring, which to me is why he doesn't recruit at a high level.
I agree honestly, but most people here seem to like Lambert interviews. I can't listen to them because they're boring.

upperdeck

• Sophomore
Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 07:59:05 am
Iím starting to feel that we think we are better than we are. Players and coaches. We expect to go out there and beat everyone. Thatís really a good attitude. The problem comes when something goes wrong early. Adversity. Lambert says that word a lot. You can respond to it or let it lead you into even more mistakes. Thatís what we do. You can see it on Lambertís face even. They donít know how to respond. Embarrassed even. The keep on keeping on and things will magically get better is not gonna work. You keep getting pounded. 

This isnít middle school football. You are paying these kids a lot of money. Maybe it is the culture of lack of accountability throughout.

Muff two punts in a row then accept a penalty and have to field another one. Canít explain it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:01:21 am by upperdeck »

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 08:06:24 am
Even if we don't have the best talent in the world shouldn't we do everything within our power to execute well and minimize stupid penalties? Going into season five we've consistently had illogical play calling and dumb penalties. It is a hard formula to win with those ingredients.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 09:04:23 am by JaMiNNiNeR »

MeanJoeGreen

• Sophomore
Reply #30 on: September 02, 2017, 08:21:24 am
I listened to the game, so I cannot judge their performance. We all knew MullNG would suck, but why does it seem few gave us a shot to win before the game and most are reacting as if our lost was a huge upset?  Some of those penalties, like holding and interference, are from guys getting beat physically.  You can't always view it as negating a positive play if the play would not have existed without the penalty.  Not sure how late King's hit was, but it was good to hear their QB actually was getting hit.  Good to hear about D-Line and Duncan's sack.  Good to hear about softmore safety continues to shine by forcing a fumble.  Good to hear Bostic took a TD pass by force.  Hard for me to judge much more than that without watching the game.  Not sure about running game, but I didn't hear many positives.  Could be wrong there bc I was multitasking and haven't seen the box score either.  MullNG senior and junior should ride the pine.  At this point, Lambert should realize that running a program requires some painfully personal personel decisions that must be made for the good of the program-meaning he must fire the OC or put him under his intense supervision and play calling command until his replacement is found (give young Richardson a shot Brad!).

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #31 on: September 02, 2017, 08:29:21 am
I listened to the game, so I cannot judge their performance. We all knew MullNG would suck, but why does it seem few gave us a shot to win before the game and most are reacting as if our lost was a huge upset?  Some of those penalties, like holding and interference, are from guys getting beat physically. You can't always view it as negating a positive play if the play would not have existed without the penalty.  Not sure how late King's hit was, but it was good to hear their QB actually was getting hit.  Good to hear about D-Line and Duncan's sack.  Good to hear about softmore safety continues to shine by forcing a fumble.  Good to hear Bostic took a TD pass by force.  Hard for me to judge much more than that without watching the game.  Not sure about running game, but I didn't hear many positives.  Could be wrong there bc I was multitasking and haven't seen the box score either.  MullNG senior and junior should ride the pine.  At this point, Lambert should realize that running a program requires some painfully personal personel decisions that must be made for the good of the program-meaning he must fire the OC or put him under his intense supervision and play calling command until his replacement is found (give young Richardson a shot Brad!).

The penalties that we are most outraged about killed big plays for first downs. No doubt that they were drive/momentum killers. We couldn't get out of our own way last night.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #32 on: September 02, 2017, 08:32:27 am
(give young Richardson a shot Brad!).

I do not see how that will hurt.  We need to try something. 
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #33 on: September 02, 2017, 08:40:14 am
(give young Richardson a shot Brad!).

I do not see how that will hurt.  We need to try something.

I have no idea if Richardson can call an offense or not but hell can't do much worse I would imagine.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #34 on: September 02, 2017, 08:40:57 am
I care more about the stupid ass personal fouls than I do holding. Hell our lone TD came on a long pass where EMU jumped offsides, half the players didn't even move, and we had a juggling catch. Without that we might not have even scored.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #35 on: September 02, 2017, 08:45:28 am
clt's power went out during our only touchdown.

That sums up our night.

Iron9er

• Senior Captain
Reply #36 on: September 02, 2017, 08:55:17 am
The 3 personal fouls in the first half were killers and unnecessary.  The one on defense extended their TD drive when we had them stopped (happened many times last year as well), and the 2 on offense killed our own drive that was eating up yardage. 

I'd understand it more if our guys were getting hit late and it was a very chippy game on both sides.  However, it was really just our guys being undisciplined.  I don't believe EMU got a pf all game. 

I don't understand the 'wanting Mullins to be fired' thought.  So, you think if Mullins is fired and we get a new OC we will be good (or hell, watchable)?  You trust Lambert to get a good OC?  You think our teams' problems rest solely with the OC and not the HC?  Firing the OC just buys the HC more time and deflects responsibility.  I'm not for that. 
"Congrats. You guys beat our ass last night and it was a pretty pathetic performance on the glass and downlow." - StillJonesing - December 2, 2012.

donkeyjaws

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #37 on: September 02, 2017, 09:05:07 am
My biggest concern with Lambert is that recruits will soon turn from viewing us an upstart, to viewing us an established program that isn't capable of winning. If Lambert cannot elevate this team, he needs to go. I imagine he will get AT LEAST 1 more year after this, but if he cannot get us to .500 between now and then, he needs to go.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #38 on: September 02, 2017, 09:08:19 am
the core tenants of the Brad Lambert led program have been awful QB play, poor offensive game planning and execution, awful defense, and a general lack of discipline..

Today we knocked 3 of the 4 out of the park.

• QB play- Klugh was terrible. His limitations as a passer all came to the forefront tonight. He's inaccurate and makes some really poor decisions. It amazes me that going into year 5 we haven't been able to find a QB that can actually throw the ball with any consistency. Poor recruiting plus inept development aren't going to make this position any good. Perhaps Tronti looked at Jeff Mullen real hard before he made the switch.. if so, good choice kid.
  • Jeff Mullen.. this guy sucks. 7 points... I'm not going to beat this dead horse. The man is not good at his job, never has been.
  • Defense- has long been the Achilles heal... but they played well tonight. 17 points allowed. You should win games where your D does it's job
  • Penalties.. personal fouls. Broken record. I don't see other teams repeatedly take so many dumb penalties. This is on the staff- inexcusable.
We are going to head home 0-2 and will absolutely need to be 2-2 after game 4 to have any shot this year. Losing 24-7 on the road shouldn't be the end of the world, but when it's the same s*** that's been killing you every year, it's disheartening. The inability to learn from past mistakes makes me wonder what the hell the staff is doing?

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #39 on: September 02, 2017, 09:19:03 am
I have been very forgiving up to this point.  New program means an uphill climb and I have managed my expectations down.  With that said....

Last night was extremely disappointing.  Unlike some of you I haven't really expected us to be good last year or this year.  Not winning last night isn't what upset me the most.  What upset me is how we don't look like we belong on the field.

This is year 5, we don't have or shouldn't have walk ons playing meaningful minutes, we have a full roster, we have been recruiting FBS for years, we are playing teams we have already played before, out coaches should know what they are doing and our players should be accountable for their play. 

The penalties, the play calling and the general appearance of lack of preparation is what is upsetting.  If we lose last night on a great play or we fail to score as clock is winding down - we'll that would suck, but I wouldn't be so down.  Our program, given its youth and newness still has growing pains, but competing with a program like EMU should not be as difficult as it appears it was.

I like Lambert.  As long as Judy is our AD she will not hire the kinda of guy many of us want.  He IMO has done an admirable job of birthing the program.  I think he has made some good decisions on the overall program, but at this point in concerned about his ability on the field and maybe this is where we part ways and someone else takes us over this hump.
Mahna Mahna

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #40 on: September 02, 2017, 09:58:28 am
I have been very forgiving up to this point.  New program means an uphill climb and I have managed my expectations down.  With that said....

Last night was extremely disappointing.  Unlike some of you I haven't really expected us to be good last year or this year.  Not winning last night isn't what upset me the most.  What upset me is how we don't look like we belong on the field.

This is year 5, we don't have or shouldn't have walk ons playing meaningful minutes, we have a full roster, we have been recruiting FBS for years, we are playing teams we have already played before, out coaches should know what they are doing and our players should be accountable for their play. 

The penalties, the play calling and the general appearance of lack of preparation is what is upsetting.  If we lose last night on a great play or we fail to score as clock is winding down - we'll that would suck, but I wouldn't be so down.  Our program, given its youth and newness still has growing pains, but competing with a program like EMU should not be as difficult as it appears it was.

I like Lambert.  As long as Judy is our AD she will not hire the kinda of guy many of us want.  He IMO has done an admirable job of birthing the program.  I think he has made some good decisions on the overall program, but at this point in concerned about his ability on the field and maybe this is where we part ways and someone else takes us over this hump.
Ditto on ALL of this.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #41 on: September 02, 2017, 10:06:10 am
I am now on the side of Lambert being gone.  He has done a good job of getting us here, but I think he has peaked as a head coach.  You can't always be buddies with the players.  They have to be accountable to improve.  I would have benched every player who committed a personal foul for the rest of the half at least.  That will stop that garbage quickly.

Mullens should have never been back there after the 1st muffed punt, much less after the 2nd.

Klugh proved that he is not a quarterback that can win from behind.  He is great when you have the dual threat option, but if you make him win with his arm we will lose more than not. 

This offense doesn't look like it is a fit for Washington's style either. Giving him the ball with 3 yards of acceleration and you see his power, but making him stop and restart for the option keeps him from moving much before meeting a defender.  I thought Benny looked more explosive.

Defense was ok especially with the time of possession disadvantage.  They still need improvement to get pressure with the front 4.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #42 on: September 02, 2017, 10:11:21 am
We have written Tolstoy quality rants about this offense and its shortcomings.  I find myself most distraught today because we answered our QB question at this level for the first time last year.  Jeff had an entire offseason with a guy that proved he could win games at the G5 level.  This guy missed a lot of reps last year because of the olsen thing. We appear worse now that our QB has been ingrained in the offense.  Jeff should know the throws he can make, and the ones he can't.  I created excuse after excuse for Mullens last year, and I'll own that.  I think there have been legitimate excuses up to this point. I think that Jeff also is not great at his job, and the two things aren't mutually exclusive.  The combination of them is lethal.

This system doesn't work.  You have to recruit kids with elite speed.  We just aren't getting that.  The fact that our D had to play so much and only gave up 17 makes me very excited.  If this offense continues, they will not be able to keep that pace though, and we are going to start getting boat-raced by mid season at no fault of our Defense or defensive staff.

Lambert has to know this is the case, and I think the next couple weeks are going to be tough on him.  The next two weeks probably won't tell us much about who we are, and what we've got, but if we do this against GA state, heads have to roll.
#bus1

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #43 on: September 02, 2017, 11:25:48 am
We have written Tolstoy quality rants about this offense and its shortcomings.  I find myself most distraught today because we answered our QB question at this level for the first time last year.  Jeff had an entire offseason with a guy that proved he could win games at the G5 level.  This guy missed a lot of reps last year because of the olsen thing. We appear worse now that our QB has been ingrained in the offense.  Jeff should know the throws he can make, and the ones he can't.  I created excuse after excuse for Mullens last year, and I'll own that.  I think there have been legitimate excuses up to this point. I think that Jeff also is not great at his job, and the two things aren't mutually exclusive.  The combination of them is lethal.

This system doesn't work.  You have to recruit kids with elite speed.  We just aren't getting that.  The fact that our D had to play so much and only gave up 17 makes me very excited.  If this offense continues, they will not be able to keep that pace though, and we are going to start getting boat-raced by mid season at no fault of our Defense or defensive staff.

Lambert has to know this is the case, and I think the next couple weeks are going to be tough on him.  The next two weeks probably won't tell us much about who we are, and what we've got, but if we do this against GA state, heads have to roll.
Nice post. If Tolstoy posted here, he would be immediately attacked.

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/l/leo_tolstoy.html

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #44 on: September 02, 2017, 05:49:23 pm
clt loves lambert as an AD

clt says we need a crazy person like Saban, harbaugh, or Mayer.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #45 on: September 02, 2017, 10:05:58 pm
We have little margin for error to be competitive. Undisciplined play/players have done nothing but hurt us since day one of the program. Those personal foul penalties made me want to fire the entire staff, right then and there.  >:D
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.Ē
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

chidave

• Junior
Reply #46 on: September 02, 2017, 10:08:53 pm
The more I thought about this game on the drive back to Charlotte the more it bothered me. I went up there thinking we'd probably lose, they physically manhandled us last year and in a way it would be easier to take if we had lost by 17 because our DL was reloading.

That's not what happened though, we weren't beat physically we were beat mentally. Our WRs dropped numerous balls, not because they were getting crushed by safeties, but because of a lack of concentration. We had killer holding and personal foul penalties not because we were playing aggressively, but because we were undisclipned.

We ran at the strength of EMUs defense (their tackles) time and time again with no lead blocker I'm assuming to save Klugh hits. The offensive game plan was beyond poor. We still after five years don't have a grasp of the strategic aspects of football games (when to go for it).

We weren't outfought we were out thought. I've been hesitant to criticize Lambert too heavily because he has got us "competitive" as fast as we realistically could have hoped. Our talent level is on par with EMU, who more than likely will end up in a bowl. That should make me happy. At our level though, you have to have decent talent and put them into their best position to succeed. Too often over the first five years we have not done that, and for sure we did not Friday.

Well there's my rant, but I want to end on a positive. Hats off to the D, the D-Line exceeded all our expectations and the D played well enough to get the W. They just couldn't offset the poor game management and offensive execution.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #47 on: September 02, 2017, 10:17:42 pm

X-49er

• Head Coach
  • Connoisseur of all things Niner
Reply #48 on: September 02, 2017, 11:34:15 pm
Disappointing start to the season.  3-4 of those penalties were backbreakers that killed our drive, or kept theirs alive.   Pick 6's are always brutal.   Almost as many penalty yards as passing yards: not good in today's college game.   D was better than I expected, and gave us a chance to win.  Hopefully we can get out of Manhattan without any injuries and begin to right the ship.  A&T put an asswhoopin on G-W today, so we better not chalk that one up just yet if we play like we did last night.  And they were already ahead of us in the Sagarin Ratings before this week.
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #49 on: September 03, 2017, 10:36:48 am
https://agent49.net/emu-postgame-thoughts-09217/
Surprised that you didn't mention the two muffed punts for special teams.  While neither of them were costly, I think two muffed punts per season would be the norm if that.  Two back to back in game 1 brings serious concerns.  Something to watch going forward.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos