Author Topic: EMU Postgame  (Read 4482 times)

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #50 on: September 03, 2017, 12:33:48 pm
https://agent49.net/emu-postgame-thoughts-09217/
Surprised that you didn't mention the two muffed punts for special teams.  While neither of them were costly, I think two muffed punts per season would be the norm if that.  Two back to back in game 1 brings serious concerns.  Something to watch going forward.
good point. Must have blocked that out of my mind while putting this together last night, lol. Mullen shouldn't be back here next week.

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #51 on: September 03, 2017, 12:40:22 pm
A&T beat Gardner Webb 45-3.

There are no get well games on the schedule. The staff and the offense need to get their s*** together, pronto.
Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

🔥 🌹

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #52 on: September 03, 2017, 01:08:28 pm
Georgia State opened up their new stadium (old Turner Field) with a loss to FCS Tennessee State.  I feel a little better about that game but not much.

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #53 on: September 03, 2017, 01:13:38 pm

There are no get well games on the schedule. The staff and the offense need to get their s*** together, pronto.

At this point, I fully expect to lose that game. They are likely better than Georgia State, FIU, and UAB right now.

BigTymers99

• Walk On
Reply #54 on: September 03, 2017, 01:16:10 pm

At this point, I fully expect to lose that game. They are likely better than Georgia State, FIU, and UAB right now.

This sounds terrible, but with how things have gone I do not expect to win any games. If they do, it's a nice surprise. The only wish I have is to not get blown out by 50.

Dowless

• Walk On
Reply #55 on: September 03, 2017, 03:25:35 pm

This sounds terrible, but with how things have gone I do not expect to win any games. If they do, it's a nice surprise. The only wish I have is to not get blown out by 50.

That wish is in jeopardy on Saturday.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #56 on: September 03, 2017, 03:36:58 pm

if we lost to a&t, lambert better be unemployed by Sunday.

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #57 on: September 03, 2017, 03:50:42 pm

Does anyone know what Lambert's contract status is? 

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #58 on: September 03, 2017, 03:57:41 pm

Should be, but I don't think there is any chance that happens.

A&T almost always shows up for these big games. They have wins over Kent State and App in the last few years. Even if we were better, we should have never scheduled them. Plenty of bad FCS teams willing to get beat up on for money.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #59 on: September 03, 2017, 04:24:13 pm

Does anyone know what Lambert's contract status is?
He is under contract through the 19 season. Jan 2020 is when contract ends.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #60 on: September 03, 2017, 04:37:56 pm

That wish is in jeopardy on Saturday.

Potentially, yes, but I'll bet once ks gets a comfortable lead, they will not run up the score on an alum/former player.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #61 on: September 03, 2017, 08:21:35 pm
In other news, FCS Liberty with former Nebraska great Turner Gill as HC upset Baylor in Waco, plus picked up a huge payday.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #62 on: September 03, 2017, 09:21:03 pm
Personally I'm not a fan of FCS games following P5 games. We're going to take more of a pounding, we don't have much depth and our kids will look at them as a lesser opponent and there is a good chance the mental preparation is less.

CharSFNiners

• MemberPF
  • Athletic Director
Reply #63 on: September 03, 2017, 11:04:31 pm
We beat ourselves which was highly disappointing. That has to stop at some point, somehow. Next week we aren't going to find out.

At the same time, we were a 14 point dog and lost by 17.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #64 on: September 04, 2017, 07:01:07 am
clt says if we lose to a and t, tickets will be easy to find for the remaining games.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #65 on: September 04, 2017, 08:47:36 am
clt says if we lose to a and t, tickets will be easy to find for the remaining games.
So no stadium expansion, then?

This situation is beginning to remind me of our local paper. In their case, they don't really want to cover our program, so they rig things to ramp up demand for The Evil Empire and tamp down demand for us.
In our case, we don't really want to expand (well, our esteemed chancellor doesn't, to be clear) so we don't do the things to get butts in the seats so as to have an excuse to keep our stadium at 15K.
To borrow from HRC, its a vast stupid-wing conspiracy!

chidave

• Junior
Reply #66 on: September 04, 2017, 09:17:28 am
We beat ourselves which was highly disappointing. That has to stop at some point, somehow. Next week we aren't going to find out.

Good post. While I am frustrated by the sloppiness Friday and many things in that game show why Lambert may not be the person to take us to the next level I'm not ready to give up on the season. There is some danger with A&T but they are still a FCS team, Georgia St. lost to an average FCS team in their opener, and UAB is in their first year. We should at a minimum win those games. We'll have a more clear picture of this year after Game 4.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:33:59 am by chidave »

BigTymers99

• Walk On
Reply #67 on: September 04, 2017, 09:38:10 am

Good post. While I am frustrated by the sloppiness Friday and many things in that game show why Lambert may not be the person to take us to the next level I'm not ready to give up on the season. There is some danger with A&T but they are still a FCS team, Georgia St. lost to an average FCS team in their opener, and UAB is in their first year. We should at a minimum win those games. We'll have a more clear picture of this year after Game 4.

It doesn't matter that they are FCS. Although we are considered an FBS program, we act and are run like an FCS program. We are nowhere close to being able to pencil in a W on any game we play in. We cannot say we "should win" a game because we are playing lower competition.

Sorry that I've managed my expectations, but I'm looking at the big picture overall and we have too many problems and do not have the right people in place to correct them.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #68 on: September 05, 2017, 08:20:56 am
I'm not sure if this has been posted in any other thread, but it needs to be pointed out -

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-college-football-teams-do-the-most-with-the-least-talent-and-vice-versa/

We are actually underperforming based off the amount of talent that we recruit. Sixth from last according to Five-Thirty-Eight. The issue is coaching/game management/program management, moreso than the players being brought in/us being a new program, etc.

So I have to agree with this:

There is too much talent in the Charlotte area to be performing like this.  Charlotte is too attractive of a city to not be recruiting at level to get talent to be competitive in games against EMU and the likes.  All the penalties, struggles on offense/playcalling, not having people lined up at the line on offense; what is this team doing in practice, we look like a poorly coached high school team.  Hats off to the defense though, impressed me tonight with there play.  This is going to be a long season however and I think Lambert has stayed on 2 years too long here.

Props to this as well

I have been very forgiving up to this point.  New program means an uphill climb and I have managed my expectations down.  With that said....

Last night was extremely disappointing.  Unlike some of you I haven't really expected us to be good last year or this year.  Not winning last night isn't what upset me the most.  What upset me is how we don't look like we belong on the field.

This is year 5, we don't have or shouldn't have walk ons playing meaningful minutes, we have a full roster, we have been recruiting FBS for years, we are playing teams we have already played before, out coaches should know what they are doing and our players should be accountable for their play. 

The penalties, the play calling and the general appearance of lack of preparation is what is upsetting.  If we lose last night on a great play or we fail to score as clock is winding down - we'll that would suck, but I wouldn't be so down.  Our program, given its youth and newness still has growing pains, but competing with a program like EMU should not be as difficult as it appears it was.

I like Lambert.  As long as Judy is our AD she will not hire the kinda of guy many of us want.  He IMO has done an admirable job of birthing the program.  I think he has made some good decisions on the overall program, but at this point in concerned about his ability on the field and maybe this is where we part ways and someone else takes us over this hump.

It doesn't matter that they are FCS. Although we are considered an FBS program, we act and are run like an FCS program. We are nowhere close to being able to pencil in a W on any game we play in. We cannot say we "should win" a game because we are playing lower competition.

Sorry that I've managed my expectations, but I'm looking at the big picture overall and we have too many problems and do not have the right people in place to correct them.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #69 on: September 05, 2017, 08:39:35 am

jfickett

• Senior Captain
  • Charlotte 49ers Football - A new chance for glory.
    • LinkedIn
Reply #70 on: September 05, 2017, 09:27:05 am
Not really much to say that hasn't already been said.  I was driving and listening to the game on the radio and I will say that it was pretty jarring to read on this board about how bad the offense looked versus how they sounded on the radio.  Listening to the call, you'd have thought the offense did almost enough to win the first half.  The pick 6 was bad but Klugh came back with the big run and then TD pass on the next drive.  The problem, obviously, was the penalties.  We beat ourselves on the PF that extended their drive into a TD when we got a stop on 3rd down and then the momentum busters on the 3 or 4 big plays we had on offense thereafter.  The nail was the penalty that murdered our first drive in the third quarter when it actually sounded like we came out moving the ball quite well. 

Anyway, let's just hope we stay moderately healthy this weekend and get the starters out of the game when we are down 4 scores at halftime.  No need to take on any injuries when we are going to get trounced anyway.  Maybe we can find some juice for A&T and GSU and get things rolling in the right direction at some point.
11/28/2016 (16:35:02) s9er: It cost less to in student fees to launch a man into space than it does get a Charlotte men's basketball team into the NCAA's

s9er

• Head Coach

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #72 on: September 05, 2017, 02:38:49 pm
clt's power went out during our only touchdown.

That sums up our night.

ZL had his back turned while trying to get an angry baby to stop screaming.

Later in the night, ZL's baby was trying to get angry daddy to stop screaming.
DUCK FAVIDSON

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #73 on: September 05, 2017, 03:08:17 pm
All my anger from the football game has moved over to the 2017 annual report I received yesterday. The annual report where our biggest successes were NCAA 1st round Soccer losses and individuals in Golf and T&F making their respective NCAAs.

#family #nohurtfeelings

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #74 on: September 05, 2017, 03:11:50 pm
I'm not sure if this has been posted in any other thread, but it needs to be pointed out -

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/which-college-football-teams-do-the-most-with-the-least-talent-and-vice-versa/

We are actually underperforming based off the amount of talent that we recruit. Sixth from last according to Five-Thirty-Eight. The issue is coaching/game management/program management, moreso than the players being brought in/us being a new program, etc.
Meh, I'd say we're fairly close with the expectations based solely off of the talent.  In the Power Index rating we were 127th.  In the Team Talent Composite we were 121st.

A team like Virginia might be a better case for your example.  They were 34th in Team Talent, while finishing 76th in the Power Index.

If you take the difference between the Talent rank and the Power Index rank, we would place 80th.  Virginia would place 126th.

Having said all of that, I'm not necessarily happy with where we're at.  I hope we can improve recruiting.  I especially hope the coaches can exceed the recruiting expectations, by either coaching them up or finding hidden talent.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 03:13:42 pm by Normmm »

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos