Author Topic: Kansas State pregame thread  (Read 5042 times)

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #50 on: September 08, 2017, 07:49:14 pm
Kansascity.com: K-State Q&A: D.J. Reed, Isaiah Harris, LB depth and gold miners

It never ceases to amaze me how much people don't know about our university.  Whether in Kansas or Charlotte....it's like we were founded yesterday.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #51 on: September 08, 2017, 08:34:36 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how much people don't know about our university.  Whether in Kansas or Charlotte....it's like we were founded yesterday.
.      People are stupid. He acts as if he has never heard of us. If true, he is an idiot. Any sportswriter who at least doesn't know us from our bball history can't be taken seriously.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #52 on: September 08, 2017, 09:08:28 pm

.      People are stupid. He acts as if he has never heard of us. If true, he is an idiot. Any sportswriter who at least doesn't know us from our bball history can't be taken seriously.
maybe he's young? Any sports writer under about 35 wouldn't have likely been in the profession the last time we did much to get national recognition.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #53 on: September 08, 2017, 09:10:53 pm
clt could say that we have one more recent final four, and more students.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #54 on: September 08, 2017, 09:24:37 pm

maybe he's young? Any sports writer under about 35 wouldn't have likely been in the profession the last time we did much to get national recognition.
Looked up Kelis Robinett and he's been writing for the Wichita Eagle / Kansas City Star (like the Observer and the News & Observer, McClatchy newspapers) since 2009. Hire was controversial as he's a KU grad - as in University of Kansas! Anyway, from Texas and wrote for the Idaho Statesman prior to becoming K-State beatwriter.

Anyway, have to agree with NN that he's probably too young to remember what the Niners were doing 40 years ago.Of course, that doesn't excuse his sloppy research on our mascot!

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #55 on: September 08, 2017, 09:52:13 pm

Looked up Kelis Robinett and he's been writing for the Wichita Eagle / Kansas City Star (like the Observer and the News & Observer, McClatchy newspapers) since 2009. Hire was controversial as he's a KU grad - as in University of Kansas! Anyway, from Texas and wrote for the Idaho Statesman prior to becoming K-State beatwriter.

Anyway, have to agree with NN that he's probably too young to remember what the Niners were doing 40 years ago.Of course, that doesn't excuse his sloppy research on our mascot!

Being young does not excuse him from not doing a little research.  It seems many of those that write for newspapers do so because they are not capable of doing anything else.

I wonder how many K-State fans know they "stole" a prized recruit and an assistant coach from us.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #56 on: September 08, 2017, 10:25:10 pm
Was he the beat writer a few years ago when we beat them in basketball?

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #57 on: September 08, 2017, 10:46:02 pm

.   40 years ago? Any one who follows sports at all should recognize a school who was in the men's  NCAA bball tournament 9 times during a 12 year  period. I don't make a living as a sports expert and I promise you I at least recognize a school by name who has been in that tournament at any point during my life. It's not that hard.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #58 on: September 08, 2017, 10:58:21 pm
We are irrelevant. Deal with it.

MikeNiner11

• Sophomore
Reply #59 on: September 09, 2017, 09:24:29 am
Will be happy with today if we leave with no major injuries, and show some signs of life on offense. Central Ark moved the ball pretty well on K-State last week, with 223 rushing yards. Not as much worried about points, just want to see that we can put positive yardage plays together without constantly being negated by penalties. The defense gets a pass this week for me.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:26:26 am by MikeNiner11 »

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #60 on: September 09, 2017, 11:13:01 am

No, we are not. Deal with that.......In any case, thats not the issue here. The guy is a professional sports writer who acts as though he has never heard of a school that has been D1 for over 40 years and has been "relevant" on a national stage at different points during those 40 years. That is pathetic. If you think that is "normal" or not just plain dumb, then maybe that says something about your sports knowledge.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #61 on: September 09, 2017, 12:02:06 pm
I would bet the majority of our students couldn't answer why we are called the 49ers.

charlottewkndbuzz

• Walk On
Reply #62 on: September 09, 2017, 12:05:30 pm
Game time!  Let's cover that spread and no injuries! Go niners!

Becky Jones

• Walk On
Reply #63 on: September 09, 2017, 12:56:44 pm
Dominique Heath #4 of Kansas State another Charlotte area player (Hopewell HS) we did not offer or recruit.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/163550/dominique-heath

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #64 on: September 09, 2017, 04:47:36 pm
Dominique Heath #4 of Kansas State another Charlotte area player (Hopewell HS) we did not offer or recruit.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/163550/dominique-heath

clt says he is tiny.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #65 on: September 09, 2017, 06:01:34 pm

No, we are not. Deal with that.......In any case, thats not the issue here. The guy is a professional sports writer who acts as though he has never heard of a school that has been D1 for over 40 years and has been "relevant" on a national stage at different points during those 40 years. That is pathetic. If you think that is "normal" or not just plain dumb, then maybe that says something about your sports knowledge.

If you are a sports writer, who does this for a living, knowing what FBS football team is in what conference, who is in what division in baseball, who is in what conference in the NFL is basic knowledge.  Pretending to not know that stuff is sanctimonious and pandering to your feebleminded audience.

FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #66 on: September 09, 2017, 06:13:38 pm

If you are a sports writer, who does this for a living, knowing what FBS football team is in what conference, who is in what division in baseball, who is in what conference in the NFL is basic knowledge.  Pretending to not know that stuff is sanctimonious and pandering to your feebleminded audience.

clt says pandering to your feebleminded audience defines the observer and UNC CHeat.

This may not be topped. Dap to tintin.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #67 on: September 09, 2017, 06:52:47 pm
If I wrote for the big 12 I wouldn't give a s*** who was in CUSA. That is wasted brain space.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #68 on: September 09, 2017, 07:05:48 pm

clt says pandering to your feebleminded audience defines the observer and UNC CHeat.

This may not be topped. Dap to tintin.

Very well stated.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Becky Jones

• Walk On
Reply #69 on: September 09, 2017, 09:07:12 pm

clt says he is tiny.

Like we have that luxury. A local player with speed that is good enough to receive a OK State and Kansas State offers. We are not in position to turn away those types players.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #70 on: September 09, 2017, 09:33:59 pm

clt says he is tiny.
Like we have that luxury. A local player with speed that is good enough to receive a OK State and Kansas State offers. We are not in position to turn away those types players.
What makes you believe we'd be able to recruit against multiple B12 offers?

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #71 on: September 09, 2017, 11:00:57 pm
If I wrote for the big 12 I wouldn't give a s*** who was in CUSA. That is wasted brain space.

It's context.  You have to know history and basics about a subject to write about it.  I want my writers to be an expert on the subject.  I'm not saying that I want someone who is a sportswriter to know who was the al rookie of the year in 1983, but I do want them to know that Albert Pujols who has hit a lot of home runs was a Cardinal before he was an Angel...or that Vikings QB sAm Bradford was the first pick of the draft once or that the Hurricanes won a Stanley Cup once.
Without context, Charlottesville was just a riot and why are people getting upset about swastikas and rebel flags?
This dude is a journalist (an industry that is dying) for a paper in a smaller metro area than Greensboro, and if he doesn't know his stuff, he'll go the way of the rest of his industry.  So my guess is this dude panders to his toothless constituency who can sit on their subsidized wheat farms thinking their football teams is better than a school from the big city's football team despite the fact that K State was known as being one of the worst football programs of all time until Bill Snyder turned them around.

Becky Jones

• Walk On
Reply #72 on: September 10, 2017, 06:50:59 pm

clt says he is tiny.
What makes you believe we'd be able to recruit against multiple B12 offers?

LOCATION. I'm not saying we could recruit against those schools but we didn't even try in this case. 

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #73 on: September 10, 2017, 09:58:49 pm
This dude is a journalist (an industry that is dying) for a paper in a smaller metro area than Greensboro, and if he doesn't know his stuff, he'll go the way of the rest of his industry.  So my guess is this dude panders to his toothless constituency who can sit on their subsidized wheat farms thinking their football teams is better than a school from the big city's football team despite the fact that K State was known as being one of the worst football programs of all time until Bill Snyder turned them around.
FWIW, Kansas City ranks 30th among the largest US metropolitan areas - Greensboro is 75th.

Anyway, agree about expectations from journalists. Main reason I was never much of a fan of Tom Soresen, but his role at the Observer was always more court jester than it was sportswriter.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 10:16:07 pm by Run49er »

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #74 on: September 11, 2017, 10:16:15 am
FWIW, Kansas City ranks 30th among the largest US metropolitan areas - Greensboro is 75th.

Anyway, agree about expectations from journalists. Main reason I was never much of a fan of Tom Soresen, but his role at the Observer was always more court jester than it was sportswriter.

This article was in the Witchita paper, not theKC paper.  Here is the writers email address.
krobinett@wichitaeagle.com

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos