Author Topic: Donte Clark - Wing 2013 - Non qualifier for UMass  (Read 11283 times)

pickman

Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 09:30:10 am
You sound as if 4 star recruits are lined up to come to Charlotte and all the coaches need to do is sell the ones they want.  My guess is its not that easy.

Honest Niner

• Junior
Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 11:09:45 am
You sound as if 4 star recruits are lined up to come to Charlotte and all the coaches need to do is sell the ones they want.  My guess is its not that easy.

Not at all, and I completely agree that it is not easy. However Major gets paid for doing to primary things:

1) Win / get to NCAA
2) Recruit players that can help in achieving goal #1

Now if he can accomplish #1 with the 0-2 star kids then by all means. However I think he could do a lot more wining if he could get higher rated kids.

pickman

Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 11:37:43 am
However I think he could do a lot more wining if he could get higher rated kids.

:o

moss2k

• Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 11:39:42 am
Would you rather Major chase after him with little to no chance in landing him?  ???

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 11:46:55 am
However I think he could do a lot more wining if he could get higher rated kids.

:o

So you think we would be more successful with better players?

Good God man, why have you kept this to yourself so long???  We must tell our coaches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

pickman

Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 01:07:19 pm
Would you rather Major chase after him with little to no chance in landing him?  ???

It didn't work too well for Lutz.  I just think selling our program today to the blue chippers is a tough sell.  It is not surprising to not land a 4 star recruit.

Honest Niner

• Junior
Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 04:01:44 pm

I would rather he not lose the recruit in the first place.

moss2k

• Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 04:42:20 pm
Lol, the kid blew up and we are really in the position to get mad when we don't land a 4 star kid.  Might need a reality check.

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 05:09:39 pm

I would to - but let's be realistic about who our coach is and how much we are willing to pay.  Sure if we paid some crazy amount we could get a top flight coach in who could close the deal on 4 and 5 star kids, we don't have that budget though.

What we have to work with is a lower salary and focus on a coach who can develop kids.
Mahna Mahna

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 07:20:18 pm

I would to - but let's be realistic about who our coach is and how much we are willing to pay.  Sure if we paid some crazy amount we could get a top flight coach in who could close the deal on 4 and 5 star kids, we don't have that budget though.

What we have to work with is a lower salary and focus on a coach who can develop kids.

^^^ and who can, himself, develop.     i believe/hope we have the man.
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 11:39:58 am
Langston Wertz Jr.@langstonwertzjr Donte Clark formerly of Kennedy Charter and now at Hargrave Military commits to Virginia Tech hoops
Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

https://i.imgur.com/74Mcl1t.jpg

Honest Niner

• Junior
Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 02:15:07 pm
So I take we still stand at zero commits?

Ruckus42

• Junior
Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 04:21:01 pm
This is beginning to worry me. We need some commits. I don't even feel like we are very close with any of these players yet.
Always Bringin Da Ruckus!!

sokool

• Sophomore
Reply #38 on: September 23, 2012, 04:33:27 pm
This is beginning to worry me. We need some commits. I don't even feel like we are very close with any of these players yet.

I am expecting Worthem to sign on his visit. Especially looking at the other offers he  reportedly has on the table.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 04:55:51 pm by trollfool »

moss2k

• Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 08:17:57 pm
we were out of this as soon as he blew up

moss2k

• Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #40 on: July 02, 2013, 12:13:30 pm
RT @SeanDKennedy: RT @BermanRoanoke: #Hokies hoops signee Donte Clark denied admission to Va. Tech, per source

We need a G in 2014, I'd assume that Clark is a non-qualifier for 2013. If non-qualifier, sits out a year or juco.

moss2k

• Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 12:18:18 pm
http://blogs.roanoke.com/courtside/

Virginia Tech signee Donte Clark, who was supposed to have been a part of the Hokies for the upcoming season, has been denied admission to the university, according to a Virginia Tech source.Clark was one of the six signees in the 2012-13 menís basketball recruiting class, but he wonít be enrolling at Tech for summer school or for the upcoming school year. He did not meet Virginia Tech admission standards, according to a source, for academic reasons regarding his GPA and SAT. Clark will not be enrolling at Tech in a future year, either, said the source.Clark is still going through the NCAA Eligibility Center (formerly called the NCAA Clearinghouse) process, so it is not yet known whether he will meet NCAA freshman eligibility standards or not.Clark, a Charlotte, N.C., native who signed with Tech last fall, played as a senior for Hargrave Military Academyís postgraduate team last season. The 6-4 Clark spent his junior year at Kennedy Charter Public School in Charlotte after transferring from Queens Guard High School in Matthews, N.C. As a junior, he had 20 points and 10 boards against Oak Hill.He reportedly also had offers from Memphis, Georgia, Charlotte, Providence, Tennessee, ECU, Clemson, Miami and UCF.Clark had been one of four contenders to succeed Erick Green at point guard, along with Marquis Rankin, signee Devin Wilson and signee Malik Mueller.With Clark not coming, Tech will have 12 scholarship players on the roster.

Honest Niner

• Junior
Reply #42 on: July 02, 2013, 12:49:17 pm
Could we pick him up? We don't need him to read, we need him to put the ball in the basket.

moss2k

• Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #43 on: July 02, 2013, 12:55:38 pm
Could we pick him up? We don't need him to read, we need him to put the ball in the basket.
We have 2 open 'ships, but if he's a non-qualifier he would need to pay his own way.  We'd offer in-state tuition since he's from Charlotte.  ECU did offer as well, that could be another in-state option, if he doesn't go JUCO.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #44 on: July 02, 2013, 01:29:46 pm
i have to imagine that his options will be more limited now and he is a pretty highly ranked kid so it would be smart to go after him even if we don't get him until next season.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #45 on: July 02, 2013, 01:59:31 pm
i have to imagine that his options will be more limited now and he is a pretty highly ranked kid so it would be smart to go after him even if we don't get him until next season.
I'm not clear on the NCAA's position on recruiting non qualifiers who signed with another school. He may just pay his own way, then play for Tech next year.

Universal

• Senior
  • I floss regularly
Reply #46 on: July 02, 2013, 02:02:08 pm
I'm not clear on the NCAA's position on recruiting non qualifiers who signed with another school. He may just pay his own way, then play for Tech next year.

it was reported that he was not admitted to VT, based on the school's requirements so it is very unlikely that he ever plays there.
ďAll that is best in the great poets of all countries is not what is national in them, but what is universalĒ

moss2k

• Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #47 on: July 02, 2013, 02:03:51 pm

it was reported that he was not admitted to VT, based on the school's requirements so it is very unlikely that he ever plays there.
Clark will not be enrolling at Tech in a future year, either, said the source.

Honest Niner

• Junior
Reply #48 on: July 02, 2013, 03:11:45 pm

Clark will not be enrolling at Tech in a future year, either, said the source.

A small part of me always wonders I these kid get recruited to these schools, sign the LOI, then just stop caring about HS. I remember senioritis got to me a bit towards the end of HS. I could easily see someone thinking they were a lock to go so it no longer mattered what they did.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #49 on: July 02, 2013, 07:38:26 pm
if he doesn't go juco, we would be a great landing spot for him. in state tuition that he would never have to pay back, playing time and get to play close to home. i think he is worth the risk.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos