Author Topic: Conference Realignment  (Read 281896 times)

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #1826 on: April 12, 2017, 02:37:24 pm
Wow, that's really funny.

Of course, that also blocks us from filling the void since we are a public school.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:44:51 pm by Ben H »

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #1827 on: April 12, 2017, 04:56:35 pm

Of course, that also blocks us from filling the void since we are a public school.

LOL.  You are trying to be funny, aren't you?  Sadly, I think our chances are slim to none of filling that particular void anytime soon. 

« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:58:46 pm by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #1828 on: April 12, 2017, 05:13:48 pm

LOL.  You are trying to be funny, aren't you?  Sadly, I think our chances are slim to none of filling that particular void anytime soon.

"Things women have said to you in a bar" for $200, Alex.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

NinerAdvocate

Reply #1829 on: April 12, 2017, 08:36:36 pm
So Harry's story has kicked off more ridiculous what if games, most of which are completely without merit and therefore unlikely.

I'll humor the topic with one at least somewhat credible proposal, though I dislike it:

An administrative merger could also work. The administrative functions of a conference could be consolidated. The 26 schools of CUSA and Sun Belt merge their operations while remaining two independent conferences. One commissioner negotiating one media contract. One staff sending out the numerous weekly releases. Consolidated operations can help the conferences in negotiating championship events. For example the league office might negotiate an agreement with New Orleans to host the Sun Belt basketball championship in 2018 and CUSA in 2019 and with Birmingham to host CUSA in 2018 and Sun Belt in 2019. Leveraging two conferences can improve bowl ties and be used to create flexible scheduling or have the conferences back each other up on existing contracts.
 An administrative merger can also be used for scheduling purposes. NCAA rules require a conference to either play a double round robin in basketball or play 14 games. Neither CUSA nor Sun Belt plays a double round robin, both have chosen to play 18 games. In basketball each conference could play a 14 game schedule to comply with NCAA rules while playing at least four games against regional teams of the other conference to fill out the schedule. North Texas would play 12 divisional games, two CUSA crossover say Marshall and ODU, then play AState, UALR, Texas State and UTA in the remaining games. AState would play 10 divisional games, and either 4, 5, or 6 Sun Belt crossover games and either 2, 3, or 4 CUSA teams depending on how the schedule adjusts to account for the difference in the number of teams.
 In football teams are required to play a round robin within their division whether it is a 5 team division like Sun Belt or 7 team division like CUSA. CUSA teams are only required to play 6 conference games and Sun Belt only four but both conferences elect to play 8 games. If they wanted to CUSA schools could play completely within their division and then replace one or both crossover games against regional Sun Belt schools to comply with the scheduling rules. For example UTSA might play everyone in CUSA West, Louisiana and Texas State, their placing in the CUSA standings would be based on divisional play alone. Meanwhile Louisiana might end up playing four divisional games, two CUSA opponents like UTSA and La. Tech and then cross over in Sun Belt play to face USA and Coastal. Their spot in the standings might be based on just divisional play or divisional play plus the two Sun Belt crossover games.

Now, I have one other idea that I haven't suggested because it will be ridiculed...

What if... CUSA tried to partner with one of the P5 conference networks? They already have the infrastructure, and they lack content.

I had an idle thought once last season that a partnership with the Big10 network makes insanely good sense for the MAC... I'm not sure if the Big10 has enough reason to do it, but the geographic overlaps make lots of business sense...

Ok, flame away...

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #1830 on: April 12, 2017, 08:58:15 pm
So Harry's story has kicked off more ridiculous what if games, most of which are completely without merit and therefore unlikely.

I'll humor the topic with one at least somewhat credible proposal, though I dislike it:

An administrative merger could also work. The administrative functions of a conference could be consolidated. The 26 schools of CUSA and Sun Belt merge their operations while remaining two independent conferences. One commissioner negotiating one media contract. One staff sending out the numerous weekly releases. Consolidated operations can help the conferences in negotiating championship events. For example the league office might negotiate an agreement with New Orleans to host the Sun Belt basketball championship in 2018 and CUSA in 2019 and with Birmingham to host CUSA in 2018 and Sun Belt in 2019. Leveraging two conferences can improve bowl ties and be used to create flexible scheduling or have the conferences back each other up on existing contracts.
 An administrative merger can also be used for scheduling purposes. NCAA rules require a conference to either play a double round robin in basketball or play 14 games. Neither CUSA nor Sun Belt plays a double round robin, both have chosen to play 18 games. In basketball each conference could play a 14 game schedule to comply with NCAA rules while playing at least four games against regional teams of the other conference to fill out the schedule. North Texas would play 12 divisional games, two CUSA crossover say Marshall and ODU, then play AState, UALR, Texas State and UTA in the remaining games. AState would play 10 divisional games, and either 4, 5, or 6 Sun Belt crossover games and either 2, 3, or 4 CUSA teams depending on how the schedule adjusts to account for the difference in the number of teams.
 In football teams are required to play a round robin within their division whether it is a 5 team division like Sun Belt or 7 team division like CUSA. CUSA teams are only required to play 6 conference games and Sun Belt only four but both conferences elect to play 8 games. If they wanted to CUSA schools could play completely within their division and then replace one or both crossover games against regional Sun Belt schools to comply with the scheduling rules. For example UTSA might play everyone in CUSA West, Louisiana and Texas State, their placing in the CUSA standings would be based on divisional play alone. Meanwhile Louisiana might end up playing four divisional games, two CUSA opponents like UTSA and La. Tech and then cross over in Sun Belt play to face USA and Coastal. Their spot in the standings might be based on just divisional play or divisional play plus the two Sun Belt crossover games.

Now, I have one other idea that I haven't suggested because it will be ridiculed...

What if... CUSA tried to partner with one of the P5 conference networks? They already have the infrastructure, and they lack content.

I had an idle thought once last season that a partnership with the Big10 network makes insanely good sense for the MAC... I'm not sure if the Big10 has enough reason to do it, but the geographic overlaps make lots of business sense...

Ok, flame away...

I once thought of a scenario involving the commissioner selling the CUSA tv rights to the longhorn network as a way for the longhorns to force more tv companies to pick the channel. It wasn't an idea I was particularly fond of.
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

cltniners

Reply #1831 on: April 13, 2017, 07:03:53 am
clt asks what happened to our sec push?

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #1832 on: April 13, 2017, 08:35:54 am
clt asks what happened to our sec push?
It is taking place behind closed doors.  It may be a little while longer before any announcement is made.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #1833 on: April 20, 2017, 09:23:20 pm
Savannah State has announced that they will reclassify to D-II after joining D-I ranks in 2002. Spent 8 years as an independent prior to joining the MEAC in 2010.

Meanwhile, D-II California Baptist has accepted an invitation to join the WAC and will formally apply for D-I membership next year. The 9,000+ student private school in Riverside will open a new 5,200 seat basketball arena this year.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:35:36 pm by Run49er »

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #1834 on: April 30, 2017, 08:54:33 pm
Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports reports that the University of Nebraska Omaha of the Summit League is being evaluated by the Missouri Valley for potential membership. Branded the Omaha Mavericks in athletics, the addition of UNO would return Nebraska's largest city to the Valley footprint following the defection of Creighton to the Big East in 2013.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #1835 on: May 09, 2017, 11:03:03 am
MVC votes to add Valpo.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #1836 on: May 09, 2017, 05:56:37 pm
MVC votes to add Valpo.
The Valley reportedly also considered Milwaukee, Murray State, and Omaha before deciding to stay at ten members for the time being. Apparently leaving door open for further expansion.

Pantagraph.com: MVC selects Valparaiso to join league

And now the Horizon League gets to decide what path they want to take with the loss of the Crusaders.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 06:01:25 pm by Run49er »

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #1837 on: May 15, 2017, 07:53:14 pm

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #1838 on: May 15, 2017, 08:21:02 pm
Notre Dame could join the ACC in football.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/report-notre-dame-talks-join-acc-full-time/
That reminded me that the Irish will be joining the Big Ten in men's ice hockey on July 1st. UND played in their third Frozen Four this past April in Chicago, their last as a member of the hockey only Hockey East Association.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #1839 on: May 20, 2017, 02:08:38 pm
Chattanooga could be the next SoCon member to look for another "home" for its athletics program.

Timesfreepress.com: Football attendance decline may lead UTC to look elsewhere

chidave

• Junior
Reply #1840 on: May 21, 2017, 10:43:22 pm
http://www.sunherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/patrick-magee/article148897724.html

USM's new AD discusses the possibility of CUSA realignment.

frequentvisitor

• Walk On
Reply #1841 on: May 22, 2017, 01:25:14 am
UTC might have wanted to join the Sun Belt as their 12th member. Trying to be the 13th member of a conference creates scheduling difficulties, not to mention bad luck. 

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #1842 on: May 22, 2017, 07:36:54 am
http://www.sunherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/patrick-magee/article148897724.html

USM's new AD discusses the possibility of CUSA realignment.

- observer story:

- look at the scoreboard
-

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #1843 on: May 22, 2017, 10:03:29 am
Chattanooga could be the next SoCon member to look for another "home" for its athletics program.

I understand why UTC would want to move to the Sunbelt - more money. But why would the Sunbelt want them when the whole article is emphasizing how horrible their attendance is and how little money they bring in. Seems like a lose situation for the Sunbelt.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #1844 on: May 22, 2017, 10:42:17 am
I thought we were charter members of cusa. Guess that was voided when we left for a while. 🤡🤡🤡
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #1845 on: May 22, 2017, 02:16:43 pm

I understand why UTC would want to move to the Sunbelt - more money. But why would the Sunbelt want them when the whole article is emphasizing how horrible their attendance is and how little money they bring in. Seems like a lose situation for the Sunbelt.

I doubt the Sunbelt expands again but they did bring Coastal Carolina in, they averaged 8,392 fans last year.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #1846 on: May 26, 2017, 08:32:39 pm
With Valpo officially accepting this week the Valley's invitation to join the conference for the 2017-18 season, its soon to be former home weighing its options. Looks like the Horizon will be a nine member league next year, but going forward it is studying models that could increase its ranks to as many as 14 or 16 schools.

Daytondailynews: Horizon Leagues eyes expansion as Valpo departs for Missouri Valley

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #1849 on: May 30, 2017, 10:23:35 am
http://www.breezejmu.org/sports/jmu-athletics-would-be-prepared-to-move-to-an-fbs/article_eabfceaa-4490-11e7-950c-c759715d0778.html

It's a shame that JMU gets more fans at football games than we do.

They've won two national titles since the turn of the century and it's Harrisonburg, VA - not exactly a lot of other attractions competing for the entertainment dollar.
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

* Recent Posts

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos