Author Topic: Conference Realignment  (Read 294293 times)

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 01:39:47 pm
South Florida only makes sense for ACC if FSU bolts.

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012
Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 02:04:30 pm
South Florida only makes sense for ACC if the Mayans were right about 12/21/12.

fixed
DUCK FAVIDSON

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 02:15:52 pm
I still think the BE is better than CUSA for football and basketball.  It would be a big help to our basketball teams.  I thikn UCONN and and maybe Lville leaves so that still makes a pretty good conference.  I would prefer to play Cincy and USF than some of the CUSA teams.  The basketball program would still be top 5 overall.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 02:20:58 pm
Yea, I agree with the posts about Terry and Judy working together.  Like it or not, ECU has a huge alumni base in Charlotte.  They have the product football wise, we have the remnants of a great basketball product, and we have the market.  The only way we move up is with them in a package deal.
#bus1

Honest Niner

• Junior
Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 02:40:06 pm
Ulg do not want ECU to roll with us. Why can't we go with Marshall? (I understand the market synergy....but it's still ECU.)

BleEDgreen49er

• Freshman
Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 04:00:36 pm
UMASS should try and pair up with UCONN for either Big 10 or ACC... Gillette stadium would be a good spot for a Conference Championship Game(Big 10)....  Better academics than cincy, louisville, and s. fla... as those 3 and Marshall(WVU prob would not like?), Rice, and Tulsa should go Big 12...  CLT and ECU to the SEC....  :p  we can be the Vandy of the Carolinas  ;)

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #31 on: November 19, 2012, 04:04:40 pm
Ulg do not want ECU to roll with us. Why can't we go with Marshall? (I understand the market synergy....but it's still ECU.)

I love ECU with us.  Perfect instate rival.
Mahna Mahna

Universal

• Senior
  • I floss regularly
Reply #32 on: November 19, 2012, 04:24:59 pm

I love ECU with us.  Perfect instate rival.

I agree. We should still have a huge recruiting advantage on them because, well they are in Greenville and also they suck.
“All that is best in the great poets of all countries is not what is national in them, but what is universal”

HXC Niner

• Sophomore
Reply #33 on: November 19, 2012, 05:00:43 pm
CBS article on realignment:

As of now, Charlotte's addition to C-USA and Navy's to the Big East are the only two scheduled changes for the 2015 or future seasons. The chances of that actually happening? Zero-point-zero percent.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21057704/

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #34 on: November 19, 2012, 05:02:33 pm
Interesting.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #35 on: November 19, 2012, 05:47:33 pm
CBS article on realignment:

As of now, Charlotte's addition to C-USA and Navy's to the Big East are the only two scheduled changes for the 2015 or future seasons. The chances of that actually happening? Zero-point-zero percent.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/21057704/
I think they may be saying that the chances that those are the only two changes in 2015 are 0.0%, not that we will not be playing in C-USA.  But it isn't very clear.
#unc-CHeatingPays

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #36 on: November 19, 2012, 06:07:04 pm

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #37 on: November 19, 2012, 06:44:49 pm
If conference realignment is all about TV markets and the Big East is currently reworking its TV deal why wouldn't Charlotte have a small chance to join the Big East? We give the Big East a presence in state of NC and are located in a top 25 TV market. We will be playing football on campus (granted the stadium needs expansion) unlike USF and Temple that play in stadiums far from campus. We have potential to become a solid football program and we have proven we can compete in all the other sports with teams like Cincinnati, Louisville, and Memphis. I know our football program is an infant and hasn't played a game yet but I hope if there is any chance at all in getting called up Judy and company are working their connections right now.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #38 on: November 19, 2012, 06:45:43 pm
I think any way you spin it, today's events do not bode well for the Charlotte 49ers. 
#bus1

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #39 on: November 19, 2012, 06:49:11 pm
I think any way you spin it, today's events do not bode well for the Charlotte 49ers.

I disagree - the only way we get into the BE or upgrade our situation is if there is a shake up above us.  The shake up is happening - now it could end poorly, us in CUSA and ECU not or end great us and ECU in the BE or BE remnant league with Sincy, Memphis, USF, UCF, Temple, etc.  Judy got us back into CUSA, she needs to starting working the phones again.
Mahna Mahna

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #40 on: November 19, 2012, 06:53:42 pm

I disagree - the only way we get into the BE or upgrade our situation is if there is a shake up above us.  The shake up is happening - now it could end poorly, us in CUSA and ECU not or end great us and ECU in the BE or BE remnant league with Sincy, Memphis, USF, UCF, Temple, etc.  Judy got us back into CUSA, she needs to starting working the phones again.

I mean I guess I could see it.  The Big East Basketball schools have sworn not to allow basketball to suffer anymore.  I feel like adding ECU would be the nail in the coffin for the big east split, unless the Big East tried to appease the basketball schools by adding us and ODU with ECU.  That is quite an outrageous long shot.  I do feel like we would be given the nod over ODU if ECU needed a package deal. 
#bus1

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #41 on: November 19, 2012, 07:01:43 pm
No way do they replace Rutgers and UCONN with ECU/Greenville.  They will need a market.  If ECU comes it, it will HAVE to come in with some market somewhere.  If UCONN, Rutgers, SDSU and Boise leave the basketball schools are going to have to go along with whatever to keep their league alive.
Mahna Mahna

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #42 on: November 19, 2012, 07:32:38 pm
No way do they replace Rutgers and UCONN with ECU/Greenville.  They will need a market.  If ECU comes it, it will HAVE to come in with some market somewhere.  If UCONN, Rutgers, SDSU and Boise leave the basketball schools are going to have to go along with whatever to keep their league alive.
they'll replace with what the members will vote for and ECU is wanted by many of the incoming members.

X-49er

• Head Coach
  • Connoisseur of all things Niner
Reply #43 on: November 19, 2012, 07:42:32 pm
Boise State, BYU, and San Diego State seem to have suddenly been hit by some common sense:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8653727/boise-state-broncos-sdsu-aztecs-byu-cougars-talk-mwc-return-sources-say
I hope you will support who we are, not who we are not. - Coach Norman Dale in Hoosiers

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #44 on: November 19, 2012, 07:44:51 pm
s***'s getting real y'all!

If we want to go to the big east, this helps charlotte.  I can't see that the big east would take ECU without us.  the big east is now basically CUSA v.1.0 plus Temple.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #45 on: November 19, 2012, 09:10:19 pm
they'll replace with what the members will vote for and ECU is wanted by many of the incoming members.

Absolutely... But they all know they need a market to at least try to offset the loss of rutgers and uconn. 
Mahna Mahna

cltniners

Reply #46 on: November 19, 2012, 09:32:15 pm
clt predicts fsu and nc state to sec.

acc is breaking apart.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #47 on: November 19, 2012, 09:41:17 pm

acc is breaking apart.

In all seriousness I could see a move by Chapel Hill and Duke to the SEC.  The SEC doesn't need any more good football, and a Basketball conference with Duke, UNC, Florida, and UK would be arguably the best basketball conference, which could potentially create even more lucrative TV contract figures.
#bus1

HXC Niner

• Sophomore
Reply #48 on: November 19, 2012, 09:53:58 pm

acc is breaking apart.

In all seriousness I could see a move by Chapel Hill and Duke to the SEC.  The SEC doesn't need any more good football, and a Basketball conference with Duke, UNC, Florida, and UK would be arguably the best basketball conference, which could potentially create even more lucrative TV contract figures.

Chapel Hill maybe.  I can't see a scenario where the SEC wants Duke.  I think they would go Big 10 before SEC.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #49 on: November 19, 2012, 10:14:52 pm
Chapel Hill won't leave the ACC unless the conference is on the edge of implosion.  They will take us in before Chapel Hill lets that happen.  They run the ACC and I doubt they see many scenarios that would lead them to another league where the voice would carry far less weight.
Mahna Mahna

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos