Author Topic: Ebuka Izundu - 2015 C - requested release from LOI  (Read 139176 times)

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #475 on: May 14, 2015, 11:41:37 am
Yes, this thread should end.  As a closing thought, if we had retained Alan Major, Izundu would be coming to Charlotte...
but none of the fans would be. They probably still won't this coming season, but I feel much better about the future now.

I hate to miss on Izundu, but we needed to move on.
You might be surprised.

What do you mean 919R?
He just means he thinks fans will support us better with Price than they did last year with Major. He might be right. I know people here that didn't buy tickets last year said they would now, but I don't know if more casual fans care as much. I hope he's right.
Don't put too much stock into "fans" that say "I am not going to do X until the school does Y.  We still have FSLs with their names on them waiting for a check.  I think excitement will be higher this year, and hopefully attendance bumps up, but these big-timers will just find another excuse to do nothing.  I guess they can always fall back onto their waiting for Judy to get fired excuse.
I can when its me.  ;)

greenman

• Walk On
Reply #476 on: May 14, 2015, 12:08:19 pm
It all went down hill when Woods decided to transfer and the other local players followed. That is why I suggested that Dinkins be hired as an assistant who would handle local recruiting besides retaining the local players that were here or signed. At the very least Judy should have held off on Firing Major until after the students were in their fall classes and then hired Price. That way they would have probably given Price a one year trial to see if they wanted to play for him. They probably would have lost their two inside starters who didn't want to play for Major but they probably would not have stayed no matter who the coach would have been.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #477 on: May 14, 2015, 12:21:25 pm
It all went down hill when Woods decided to transfer and the other local players followed. That is why I suggested that Dinkins be hired as an assistant who would handle local recruiting besides retaining the local players that were here or signed. At the very least Judy should have held off on Firing Major until after the students were in their fall classes and then hired Price. That way they would have probably given Price a one year trial to see if they wanted to play for him. They probably would have lost their two inside starters who didn't want to play for Major but they probably would not have stayed no matter who the coach would have been.
lolwut

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #478 on: May 14, 2015, 12:22:04 pm
I wish someone had mentioned hiring Dinkins at some point.

casstommy

• Head Coach
Reply #479 on: May 14, 2015, 12:29:53 pm
At the very least Judy should have held off on Firing Major until after the students were in their fall classes and then hired Price. That way they would have probably given Price a one year trial to see if they wanted to play for him. They probably would have lost their two inside starters who didn't want to play for Major but they probably would not have stayed no matter who the coach would have been.

Wait, are you saying that Judy should have waited to fire Major until August or Sept?  Of this year? Like the year 2015?  A month or two before the season starts?  And then just hope Price was still available? 

This place is magical sometimes.

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #480 on: May 14, 2015, 12:51:01 pm
Yes, this thread should end.  As a closing thought, if we had retained Alan Major, Izundu would be coming to Charlotte...
but none of the fans would be. They probably still won't this coming season, but I feel much better about the future now.

I hate to miss on Izundu, but we needed to move on.
You might be surprised.

What do you mean 919R?
He just means he thinks fans will support us better with Price than they did last year with Major. He might be right. I know people here that didn't buy tickets last year said they would now, but I don't know if more casual fans care as much. I hope he's right.
Don't put too much stock into "fans" that say "I am not going to do X until the school does Y.  We still have FSLs with their names on them waiting for a check.  I think excitement will be higher this year, and hopefully attendance bumps up, but these big-timers will just find another excuse to do nothing.  I guess they can always fall back onto their waiting for Judy to get fired excuse.

I think there were a fair amount of fans that had simply had it with underperforming and elected to sit things out.  If Major had come back I certainly was not going to buy 4 tickets again.  I expect there will be a fair number of season ticket holders come back and more importantly stop the bleeding from people leaving.  To your point though there are some fans that just won't support us until X.  I want Judy gone, I want her gone yesterday - but my desire for that does not trump my support of the program.  I have said before and I will say again the program is ours - not hers.  What performance does do though for me atleast personally is impact my level of support.  There are only 2 ways to show disapproval of what is happening - attendance and $.  I don't fault anyone for using those things to show displeasure.  Just because they are the AD doesn't mean they should get a blank check and never be held accountable.  We might be alumni but we are also customers.  Everyone has their breakpoints - a point where they just can't support things anymore based on their perceptions.  This past year I dialed back my giving by some and I only went to a handful of games even though I still had 4 seats.  The major difference for me is they made the adjustments I felt needed to be made.  Even though I do not approve of Judy I will buy my 4 tickets again, I will attend far more games and I expect to push my total giving back to where it was.  Some people though, as you point out are just talkers - no amount of anything will win them back or will get them to start giving or attending. 

To relate back to this thread - keeping Izundu was not going to be worth having to deal with Major as the coach for anymore time.  Also LOL@ suggestion to let Major go after fall semester starts.  If they had wanted to play hardball like that they could have just not released kids.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:00:53 pm by JediWupAss »
Mahna Mahna

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #481 on: May 14, 2015, 05:29:41 pm
I don't want ANY players here who don't want to be here. I don't care if they're the love-child-clone of Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan. They want to leave or not come into NINER NATION? BUH-BYE!
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Jimmyhat49er

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
Reply #482 on: May 14, 2015, 10:21:44 pm
I wish someone had mentioned hiring Dinkins at some point.

I'm glad I didn't just take a drink when I saw this.
If your not a 49er club member, NOW is the time to join.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #483 on: May 15, 2015, 09:25:38 am
izunda fatigue!
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #484 on: February 19, 2017, 12:29:10 pm
Forty!!!

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos