Author Topic: 2016 Men's Hoops Coaching Carousel  (Read 16736 times)

TheShowDawg

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #75 on: April 18, 2016, 08:22:47 pm

Beard sounds like a real whore. I'd hate to play for that guy or have him coaching any team I support.

I thought Lutz did basically the same thing on a smaller level to come to Charlotte.
In the Time of the Chimpanzee, I Was a Monkey....

49erAlumnus: It's been so long since we've been hated by anyone but...us.

TheShowDawg

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #76 on: April 18, 2016, 08:36:44 pm
AJC.com: [/size]Updated: Georgia Tech makes Josh Pastner hire official[/size]

If you were concerned about Price to Ga. Tech then you will revisit this fear again in the near future. Pastner is a world class douche. He gets along with no one. His players even openly disliked him. As far as recruiting, he is going from Memphis where the student athlete is a total different animal than what he will encounter at GT so I do not know how that is an advantage for him.  I have never encountered anyone that had anything good to say about him and he is also the reigning world champ for the worst hair piece/ toupee in all of college sports. With all of that Mempiss money looks like he could get a transplant or at least a presentable weave.
In the Time of the Chimpanzee, I Was a Monkey....

49erAlumnus: It's been so long since we've been hated by anyone but...us.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #77 on: April 18, 2016, 08:38:39 pm

Beard sounds like a real whore. I'd hate to play for that guy or have him coaching any team I support.

I thought Lutz did basically the same thing on a smaller level to come to Charlotte.

Valid point.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #78 on: April 18, 2016, 09:12:50 pm

Lutz actually discussed with Gardner-Webb when he accepted the job that if his alma mater came calling he would leave to take the job.  Nobody thought it would happen immediately, but the gentlemen had an understanding, so it was not the same.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

moss2k

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #79 on: April 18, 2016, 09:48:40 pm
Beard didn't jump ship from UNLV to go to a random school though, he spent a decade at Texas Tech previously and has kids that live near Lubbock. Hard to blame the guy.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #80 on: April 21, 2016, 07:16:28 pm
Beard didn't jump ship from UNLV to go to a random school though, he spent a decade at Texas Tech previously and has kids that live near Lubbock. Hard to blame the guy.
Have to agree.  Just really bad timing when you're dream job becomes available so soon after accepting another position.

And in spite of UNLV's president proclaming Beard's move was unprecedented, just not true.  The list includes Larry Brown (Davidson), Bobby Cremins (South Carolina), Dana Altman (Arkansas), Gregg Marshall (College of Charleston), Rick Majerus (USC), Billy Donovan (Orlando Magic), and, of course, Bobby Lutz (Gardner-Webb).

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #81 on: April 21, 2016, 07:24:17 pm
Latest dirt...

UNC - University of Northern Colorado, that is - parts way with B.J. Hill as the program under NCAA investigation for violations.

And NC State has hired UT Martin head coach Heath Schroyer as an assistant after Joe Dooley decided to stay at Florida Gulf Coast.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #82 on: April 26, 2016, 06:49:27 pm
New Mexico State promotes assistant Paul Weir to replace Marvin Menzies, who left Las Cruces for UNLV.  And in a twist, former UNLV coach Dave Rice is now an assistant at in-state rival Nevada.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #83 on: May 05, 2016, 07:20:16 pm
From Matt Norlander:
Rick Stansbury, Western Kentucky

Left: Assistant coach at Texas A&M

Career record: 293-165

NCAA Tournament record: 4-6

Regular-season conference championships: 1

Evaluation: Two coaches told me about a month ago that Stansbury would have WKU in the NCAA tournament within two years. He's that good and feared. Remember that he retired from the Mississippi State job a few years back. He was rejuvenated, spent time with Texas A&M the past two seasons and helped that program become a top-tier SEC outfit. WKU is a low-key really nice job. Stansbury is 56. I can see him winning big there for a decade and retiring.

Grade: A-
CBSSports.com: Grading the most intriguing college basketball coaching hires of 2016

Plus...

CBSSports.com: 2016 Hirings and Firings: College basketball coaching changes

CBSSports.com: The best and worst of the 2016 college basketball coaching carousel

CBSSports.com: Unless you have an elite job to offer, it's unwise to target A-list candidates
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:22:56 pm by Run49er »

Jimmyhat49er

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
Reply #84 on: May 06, 2016, 09:24:36 am
This is pretty amazing:

The coach who is most fortunate to land his new job is ... Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech)[/b][/font]
[/color]GARY PARRISH: It's no secret that Pastner was on the outs at Memphis with his administration and fans. The only thing saving him was a $10.6 million buyout that Memphis simply could not afford to pay. But the administration, I'm told, did advise Pastner to pursue other jobs or risk a humiliating midseason termination next season. So he did. And after several candidates rejected Georgia Tech, Pastner got an offer. And Memphis actually agreed to pay him to go to Georgia Tech.
[/color]That's a fact.
According to the contract, Pastner was obligated to pay Memphis $500,000 if he left for another job. But Memphis so wanted to make sure he left for Georgia Tech that it basically said, "Hey, forget about that $500,000 you owe us. Instead, we'll pay you $1.255 million if you please accept a six-year contract worth $11 million from Georgia Tech."[/color]Amazing, right?
[/color]Memphis really paid Pastner $1.255 million it did not owe him just to make sure he'd accept a contract worth $11 million from Georgia Tech. So now he's guaranteed to make more money than Memphis owed him if he'd stayed at Memphis. And he now has a fresh start in a career that had taken a bad turn. Seriously, who's more fortunate than that?
If your not a 49er club member, NOW is the time to join.

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Reply #85 on: May 06, 2016, 12:18:15 pm
From Matt Norlander:
Rick Stansbury, Western Kentucky

Left: Assistant coach at Texas A&M

Career record: 293-165

NCAA Tournament record: 4-6

Regular-season conference championships: 1

Evaluation: Two coaches told me about a month ago that Stansbury would have WKU in the NCAA tournament within two years. He's that good and feared. Remember that he retired from the Mississippi State job a few years back. He was rejuvenated, spent time with Texas A&M the past two seasons and helped that program become a top-tier SEC outfit. WKU is a low-key really nice job. Stansbury is 56. I can see him winning big there for a decade and retiring.

Grade: A-
CBSSports.com: Grading the most intriguing college basketball coaching hires of 2016

Plus...

CBSSports.com: 2016 Hirings and Firings: College basketball coaching changes

CBSSports.com: The best and worst of the 2016 college basketball coaching carousel

CBSSports.com: Unless you have an elite job to offer, it's unwise to target A-list candidates

If we want our conference to not suck at Basketball, WKU is one of the schools that needs to be a NIT/NCAA team every year. They have the history, resources and ability to do that.

Good on them hiring him.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #86 on: May 06, 2016, 12:43:46 pm

Good on them hiring him.

Also the type that can get them into a probation situation if he doesn't change his ways. Had some shady dealings with AAU coaches when he was at MSU and he was suspended when he was Austin Peay due to an investigation and later resigned.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #87 on: May 25, 2016, 07:30:52 pm
Carousel starting to wind down as Delaware hires Notre Dame assistant and former Irish player Martin Ingelsby as the Blue Hens new coach.

That leaves Canisius with the only vacancy with the recent retirement of Jim Baron.  He won 462 games over a 29-year head coaching career at St. Francis (PA), his alma mater St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island, and finally at Canisius.  Like Ingelsby, he was a Notre Dame assistant prior to landing his first HC gig.   

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #88 on: May 31, 2016, 07:19:28 pm
With Reggie Witherspoon being introduced today as the new coach of Canisius following the retirement of Jim Baron, all vacancies are now filled at the D-I level. Witherspoon returns to his hometown, where he previously spent a 13-year stint as the head coach at the University of Buffalo.

All total, there have been 52 coaching changes.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #89 on: July 09, 2016, 01:45:04 pm
Larry Brown out at SMU after 4 seasons.  Will be replaced by assistant and head-coach-in-waiting Tim Jankovich.

CBSSports.com: Larry Brown leaves SMU in the most Larry Brown way possible

USAToday.com: Larry Brown steps down at SMU; Tim Jankovich to take over

frequentvisitor

• Walk On
Reply #90 on: July 09, 2016, 07:44:17 pm
He will try for another head coaching position. There is a school desperate enough to hire him.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #91 on: August 31, 2016, 07:12:41 pm
WKU's Rick Stansbury tied for 3rd in this poll of 108 coaches by Matt Norlander, with Ron Ehsan of UAB picking up a couple of votes.

CBSSports.com: Candid Coaches: Who was the best new coaching hire this offseason?

MY TAKEAWAY

Stansbury is already landing five-star prospects at Western Kentucky, so that speaks for itself. A couple of coaches I spoke with said he'll be running Conference USA by 2018. Some think that's already happening, in fact.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 07:16:18 pm by Run49er »

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #92 on: September 17, 2016, 03:06:49 pm
Technically guess this could be filed under "2017 Coaching Carousel" since we're in the 2016-17 academic year, but will put it here.  GW looking for a new coach.

CBSSports.com: Report: George Washington coach Mike Lonergan fired after claims of player abuse

ESPN.com: Mike Lonergan fired as George Washington head coach amid probe

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #93 on: September 17, 2016, 03:23:51 pm
Lutz

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #94 on: September 20, 2016, 07:18:18 pm
Lonergan not going down without a fight.

CBSSports.com: Fired George Washington coach's lawyers fire back by claiming wrongful termination

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #95 on: September 28, 2016, 06:39:19 pm
GW names assistant Maurice Joseph as interim coach.

ESPN.com: After firing its coach, George Washington names assistant the interim for this season

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos