Author Topic: 2015 Fall Baseball  (Read 15987 times)

emf

• Senior
Reply #25 on: October 20, 2015, 12:05:41 pm
Our huge baseball announcement, I'm guessing
That's pretty awesome, but I just wish they could figure out how to rotate images so the text is right-side-up before putting the image on the web.

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 12:07:39 pm

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #27 on: October 20, 2015, 12:57:33 pm
Nice......work being done by my Unionville area "homies"  8) , Carolina Green. HQ shows as Indian Trail, but they are really all Unionville people.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 01:23:36 pm
Great news! That was a fantastic event last year, glad we're doing it again. I can't recommend attending  this enough, even if you're not a huge baseball fan it's still a ton of fun.
I still chuckle at the lady next to me at the last game that was wondering why all these UNCC people were at the game.  She thought "Charlotte" meant the Knights were playing NC State.

Bless her heart.

charlotteguy88

• Junior
Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 06:50:10 pm
Our huge baseball announcement, I'm guessing
Probably so but it also seemed like people on here new about the field turf thing a couple of weeks ago, while the baseball twitter tweeted to me "Still waiting to finalize things" in regards to the big news

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #30 on: October 21, 2015, 09:23:23 am
I have heard that the realignment of Phillips Road will cause problems for both baseball and softball during night games, with headlights shining into player's eyes.

I would guess the the "BIG" announcement would be something to fix this problem.  A video board would be awesome there.

Something similar happened when they built the West Deck.  Headlights would shine right into the batters eyes, so the huge wall in CF was constructed.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 09:26:15 am
I have heard that the realignment of Phillips Road will cause problems for both baseball and softball during night games, with headlights shining into player's eyes.

I would guess the the "BIG" announcement would be something to fix this problem.  A video board would be awesome there.

Something similar happened when they built the West Deck.  Headlights would shine right into the batters eyes, so the huge wall in CF was constructed.
Video board would be awesome. Any reason why we just didn't turf the outfield too?

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 09:32:09 am

Video board would be awesome. Any reason why we just didn't turf the outfield too?

Probably $$$

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #33 on: October 21, 2015, 10:53:44 am
Was the "big news" maybe the NC State game being scheduled at BB&T Ballpark again next March?

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #34 on: October 21, 2015, 01:33:28 pm
Was the "big news" maybe the NC State game being scheduled at BB&T Ballpark again next March?

Hibbs announced this at the Temple Game Alumni Tailgate so I'd say no.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #35 on: October 21, 2015, 03:03:11 pm

I asked Ms. Rose if we planned to do anything about the headlight problem. She told me they did a study and the lights would not shine onto the fields.
Judy never lies or is wrong.   ;D

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #36 on: October 21, 2015, 03:30:34 pm

Yes, but this "rumored" big news was being hinted at well before that even.

Oldrowniner

• Gulag
  • Freshman
Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 05:04:44 pm

Probably $$$
The OF doesn't require turf because it has a expensive  drainage system of pipes and sand, like an NFL field. Was done 10yr ago? The inf needed it because you can't keep dirt dry
"Too many seasons of benign neglect means Price and his staff have to re-sell the whole concept; itís been 10 years, after all, since the 49ers last qualified for the NCAA tournament"

Rick Bonnell, 12-1-2015

charlotteguy88

• Junior
Reply #38 on: October 21, 2015, 06:37:21 pm

Yes, but this "rumored" big news was being hinted at well before that even.

It was the turf
https://mobile.twitter.com/NinerBaseball/status/656909365325209600
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:40:30 pm by charlotteguy88 »

Gun2819

• Walk On
Reply #39 on: October 26, 2015, 04:43:05 pm
I got a chance to take in a few innings of the scrimmage this weekend.  We won 24-1 in 12 innings and they were clearly overmatched, but it was an exhibition game.  Everybody hit, and we pitched well.

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=210429968

Line-up was:

1 Gallello 3B
2. Reece Hampton CF
3. Zach Jarrett LF
4. Brett Netzer  2B
5. Drew Ober RF
6. TJ Nichting DH
7.  Alex Reynolds  1B
8.  Nick Daddio C
9. Hunter Jones SS

Logan sat out with an injury.

Biggest 'surprise' is Hunter Jones at SS, Brett Netzer at 2B, and Nichting at DH.  Netzer moved in from playing LF last season, Jones moves from 3b to SS since Gallello is back from injury.  Gibbs was the SS last season and he came in late as a sub at 2B.  Jones looked pretty good defensively at SS.  I'm interested to see how this plays out in the spring.  You can tell Netzer has put on some muscle since last year. Nichting seemed bigger too.

We also have 2 true freshman in the starting line-up. Hampton and Ober.  Nice to see they will make an immediate impact.

I was disappointed that we didn't get to see the JUCO catcher Fritz. He is supposed to compete for the starting spot and will provide a little more offense from that spot.

We used 6 pitchers and we can assume that these guys will compete for the most innings. Each pitched 2 innings except for Wells who closed it out in 1.

Geoghegan L- Friday guy last year, probably the same this year
Casas R - transfer from Maryland, sat out last year, competing for a weekend spot
Maciejewski L- Sunday starter last year as as freshman
Prochaska  L- Saturday starter last year
Drew Morrison  L- true freshman
Micah Wells R - had a great summer as closer in the CPL, tied for league lead in saves.

Sheer's back was sore and Fritz's wrist was dinged up, so the coaches held them out of the Canada game.  I'm sure they didn't want to take a chance in a meaningless game.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #40 on: October 28, 2015, 11:49:08 am
Transfer from Arkansas just committed this week.  He was #1 or #2 prospect out of HS in Indiana depending on who you talk to.  RHP Jonah Patten.  He'll be a JUCO this year and pitch here next year.
He saw a little bit of time on the mound in Arkansas last year.
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/jonah-patten/

Also, an update on Ryan Butler.

http://m.padres.mlb.com/news/article/155686516/ryan-butler-in-arizona-fall-league-for-padres?topicid=151571952

Embedded image permalink

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #41 on: October 29, 2015, 10:04:20 am
Transfer from Arkansas just committed this week.  He was #1 or #2 prospect out of HS in Indiana depending on who you talk to.  RHP Jonah Patten.  He'll be a JUCO this year and pitch here next year.
He saw a little bit of time on the mound in Arkansas last year.
http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/roster/jonah-patten/

Also, an update on Ryan Butler.

http://m.padres.mlb.com/news/article/155686516/ryan-butler-in-arizona-fall-league-for-padres?topicid=151571952

Embedded image permalink
Good about the Ark transfer and good about the U of Charlotte reference in the Butler article.   :D

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #42 on: November 02, 2015, 01:47:43 pm
Winthrop has announced that we will be playing against them in a game Uptown this season.
That's 2 games uptown so far for us in 2016.  Schedule is supposed to be released Wednesday.

http://winthropeagles.com/news/2015/11/2/BB_1102151935.aspx?path=baseball

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #43 on: November 02, 2015, 02:59:46 pm
Winthrop has announced that we will be playing against them in a game Uptown this season.
That's 2 games uptown so far for us in 2016.  Schedule is supposed to be released Wednesday.

Wow, interesting. Don't see the attendance being near the State game, but still good anyway.

Gun2819

• Walk On
Reply #44 on: November 02, 2015, 05:48:37 pm

I'm pretty sure the first two games will be against Georgia Bulldogs and one of them will be at the BB&T Park, so that's 3 games there.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #45 on: November 03, 2015, 11:52:22 am

I'm pretty sure the first two games will be against Georgia Bulldogs and one of them will be at the BB&T Park, so that's 3 games there.

Interesting.  I have heard there is a press conference tomorrow at BB&T Ballpark.  It coincides with our schedule release.

Also, from Wintrhop's schedule, it appears they will be the home team in the Uptown game. They also play us at the Hayes in May.

PlayerNiner

• Walk On
Reply #46 on: November 03, 2015, 02:40:11 pm
I was looking around at baseball schedules for other in state universities and noticed UNCheat and the Cocks will be playing in Charlotte on April 12th.  I'm guessing this will be at BB&T as well.  I'm curious to know if any other college teams will be coming in to play in uptown.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #47 on: November 03, 2015, 04:08:18 pm
I was looking around at baseball schedules for other in state universities and noticed UNCheat and the Cocks will be playing in Charlotte on April 12th.  I'm guessing this will be at BB&T as well.  I'm curious to know if any other college teams will be coming in to play in uptown.
NCSU and Winthrop play us, but I don't think there are any other non-Charlotte matchups there.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #48 on: November 03, 2015, 04:25:51 pm
NCSU and Winthrop play us, but I don't think there are any other non-Charlotte matchups there.

Sounds like there are at least 4 college games at BB&T Ballpark this year.  3 involve us.

3-8 (?) Georgia at Charlotte
3-29  NC State at Charlotte
4-5 Charlotte at Winthrop
4-12 UNC-CH at USC

UNC-CH and USC have signed a 2 year deal to play each other at BB&T Ballpark.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 04:30:36 pm by Mr. Bojangles »

emf

• Senior
Reply #49 on: November 04, 2015, 09:35:39 am

Sounds like there are at least 4 college games at BB&T Ballpark this year.  3 involve us.

3-8 (?) Georgia at Charlotte
3-29  NC State at Charlotte
4-5 Charlotte at Winthrop
4-12 UNC-CH at USC

UNC-CH and USC have signed a 2 year deal to play each other at BB&T Ballpark.
The ADs mouthpiece confirms our three games https://mobile.twitter.com/davidscott14/status/661910001959718912

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos