Author Topic: Issues that Should not Exist but do Because Charlotte AD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  (Read 52398 times)

s9er

• Head Coach
  • Losing culture
  • Piss poor marketing
  • Pant Suits
  • Reckless/irresponsible condiment distribution
  • No vision, goals, direction

SteauA

• Senior
  • Losing culture
  • Piss poor marketing
  • Pant Suits
  • Reckless/irresponsible condiment distribution
  • No vision, goals, direction

;D ;D ;D

SF4Nynah

• Senior
    • http://
Adding an obvious one with:

"You know, I think I'll give the Charlotte 49ers athletic department some free money!"

Call them on your lunch break, your only real chance to make a call during the weekday.

"Ring....... ring....... ring....... ring...... ring...... ring...... ring......"
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:49:54 pm by SF4Nynah »

SteauA

• Senior
- Our ticket rep for football quit or got fired (probably quit because she was great!) before football season started, like a month before, and nobody reached out to me.  I had to call them myself to find this out and they were surprised nobody had reached out and said something to the effect "Oh let's make sure you still get your tickets mailed!".  I got my tickets 5 days before the season started...

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
So I contribute enough to get a "free" pregame meal for basketball. Up until last year, they very kindly sent out a menu with what would be served at each game. Very helpful, in case you don't want to eat what they have, you can grab your pregame meal elsewhere. That's all good. Last year and this, they gave out the menus at the first home game. Well, I was out of town for the Elon game. I asked last night about getting one and was told "I have one on my desk. I can run you a copy". That was the last I heard of it, so I sent an email reminder this morning, which has not been replied to. Would it be so hard to walk over to your office, which is on the same floor, and get me a copy. Would it be so hard to, just maybe, provide the menus for the first two or three games in case people have conflicts? Would it be so hard to reply to my email, even if it is Friday?

Like I say, I contribute enough to get the meal. God knows how they treat those who don't.

I have a menu if you need one ill send it over to you
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind as a final resort (yikes, almost typed "solution").

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Is there no way they can get some of those students they have calling us for donations every other week to also answer the phone for the AD too?

emf

• Senior
- Despite the university making a large effort in updating all the signs on campus with the slightly modernized "UNC Charlotte" font and crown logo, the bench chairs in Halton still have the old logo.

I actually just pointed this out to my wife. That logo was updated in 2007 or 2008, so 7 or 8 years ago. And they still have not bought chairs with the new logo. (Or worse, they did buy new chairs but with the old logo.)
They have chairs with the new logo but they don't use them on the court for some reason.

SteauA

• Senior
Is there no way they can get some of those students they have calling us for donations every other week to also answer the phone for the AD too?

Stop.  Common sense is not the answer.

- For the Marshall game this year I was not able to tailgate due to a prior engagement.  Normally I purchase my yellow lot parking pass online the day before but this time I did not.  I logged online the morning of to purchase my parking pass and to my surprise they were no longer available.  I went on campus thinking that there wouldn't be an attendant by the gate to the Union Deck accepting tickets (something I had seen at previous games and really angered me since I am paying $20 per pass) and of course there was.  Even though it was 15 min before kick off, she said I needed a pass, I explained I could not get a pass because they were no longer available for sale.  She looked confused.  I asked where the lot that takes cash was and she pointed in the opposite direction of what I later found out was the cash lot.  I ended up parking for free in the lot over by the student tailgate area next to campus police.  Again, I realize this is not AD, it's parking services (probably just as or more incompetent than the AD) but all these things go hand in hand and these are events that happen under the AD umbrella.  Gameday = AD umbrella.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Adding an obvious one with:

"You know, I think I'll give the Charlotte 49ers athletic department some free money!"

Call them on your lunch break, your only real chance to make a call during the weekday.

"Ring....... ring....... ring....... ring...... ring...... ring...... ring......"
How about getting a call from the ticket office to "ask some questions" about basketball tickets and being solicited to buy tickets for underprivileged kids. Now, I have no qualms about giving to charity and do so regularly, but I prefer to donate to Second Harvest or Habitat. You know, charities that fulfill an actual need. Sorry, but the money I begrudgingly gave for tickets is money better spent for food or housing. Nothing I hate more than disguised phone solicitations. Swarms.

BTW, I was told the contribution was tax deductible and I would be receiving an e-mail receipt. This was 3 days ago. Do I need to tell you if I have received said e-mail?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:19:47 pm by 4ever niner »

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
One of the big things for me is we know that condiments, parking, marketing, etc may all be different groups and different responsibilities - but for anyone visiting or guests this experience is just rolled up under UNC Charlotte.  If one thing looks or seems second rate it reflects poorly on everything.  That is why companies with strong brands are so protective of the brand and make sure everything is a certain way.  What is funny is our AD is very secretive and protective but it does not equate to actually having a strong brand because they have such a craptastic leader.  It actually can be traced past Judy and up to Phil.  The fact that so many groups on campus do not work together is something he is responsible for.  The alumni assoc and the AD don't work well together because of lack of communication and that is totally insane.  That the AD is powerless when going up against parking services is crazy.  If a alum who has not been on campus in 20 years comes to a baseball game and has trouble finding a place to park because it isn't marked well and gets a ticket and the AD says sorry can't do anything that is a problem. 
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:39:30 pm by NinerWupAss »
Mahna Mahna

cltniners

clt would prefer that the toilet paper in haltron and the rich would be converted to a light blue hue.

cltniners

clt says we must never forget #dispenserghazi

SteauA

• Senior
clt would prefer that the toilet paper in haltron and the rich would be converted to a light blue hue.

ninerball49

• Senior Captain
  • is that trips?
I got my football tickets for 10$ a seat for the young alumni deal.  I was the only one of my young alumni friends that was even notified of the deal, and when I asked why that happened the response I received was they had bad emails on the list.

Hadn't received a call about basketball tickets at all prior to signing up for a raffle.  The Hornets wanted my money there more.

I don't understand why we're not ALL OVER THE PLACE trying to get people in the seats to both sports/advertising these deals/doing the thing we exist to do.  Announced attendance at Furman game was what, 4500?  Actual butts in seats looked embarrassing.  Yet it costs over 100 for me to buy a season ticket.  Considering what I pay for my lower level NBA tickets, the disparity is explainable only by the fact that 0 people go to our basketball games, and there's nothing financially to persuade them to do otherwise. 

bottom line: we should be begging on the streets for butts in the seats.
we have football

clap clap clapclapclap

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Boy oh boy, I've been waiting for a thread like this.

1: We have a million different shades of green, pick one, be consistent and stick with it

2: Our cheerleaders don't cheer..this frustrates the crap out of me
     a. Have cheerleaders lead the Forty...Niner chant during football

3:Our in game entertainment during football is weak, doesn't flow and looks low rate. It lacks a semblance of creativity and is something our AD would produce

4: Our social media marketing is equally pathetic, it lacks personality. The "graphics" they put up are inconsistent in style with each other, vary highly in quality and send different messages. Our # tags change month to month, and compete with the San Fran 49ers (who obviously have a larger social media presence then us). If you want to see what a good, engaging social media account looks like, check out the Carolina Panthers. We should at least attempt to be like them

5:The AD doesn't handle criticism at all. As a student, its amazing how closed off the AD is to hearing suggestions.

6: Mentioned previously, but our marketing to young alums is nonexistent.

7:Our marketing in general is nonexistent. My uncle who is older and retired, lives in south charlotte (not affiliated with the university, but generally interested in college sports, likes going to the occasional basketball,football, baseball game) has never been contacted as a potential ticket buyer.  How many of these types of people exist?

8:Engagement with our primary fanbase is pisspoor. Debbie Yow (NCSU AD) first thing when she started at State, was gathering feedback from the fanbase. Its really simple, check it out ->http://gopack.com/sports/2015/4/27/GEN_20140101182.aspx. Showing that you care, is the reason NCSU has such a huge lower contribution donor base.

9:From my previous point, mobilizing the low-cost donor base. Check out this article (again NCSU) and tell me if you can spot the difference between us and them.. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122178385188954793.

10:Strategic Plan, long term vision, whatever you wanna call it. I think every successful AD has one of these. But I guess this would require accountability.

11:Our culture..this is the biggest one in my opinion. I've never encountered this sort of culture with any other AD in NC..App, ECU,NCSU, Chapel Hill, Wake..etc etc, all have a "We're big time, we're going to win, lets see what you can do to stop us" mentality. We don't and the only reason we are where we are is because of the city we're in. Hate to say it, but if ECU approached things like we did, they'd be in FCS. Until this changes, my hope of long term sustained success our of our AD is pretty low.

Until Judy retires and the culture changes from the top down, nothings going to change.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 06:49:53 pm by Ninerfan2012 »

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
One of the big things for me is we know that condiments, parking, marketing, etc may all be different groups and different responsibilities - but for anyone visiting or guests this experience is just rolled up under UNC Charlotte.  If one thing looks or seems second rate it reflects poorly on everything.  That is why companies with strong brands are so protective of the brand and make sure everything is a certain way.  What is funny is our AD is very secretive and protective but it does not equate to actually having a strong brand because they have such a craptastic leader.  It actually can be traced past Judy and up to Phil.  The fact that so many groups on campus do not work together is something he is responsible for.  The alumni assoc and the AD don't work well together because of lack of communication and that is totally insane.  That the AD is powerless when going up against parking services is crazy.  If a alum who has not been on campus in 20 years comes to a baseball game and has trouble finding a place to park because it isn't marked well and gets a ticket and the AD says sorry can't do anything that is a problem.
Superb post. Phil is too busy remaking the campus in his own bland image to give a crap about improving athletics. He has a wonderful opportunity to try to force some cooperation among the various entities on campus and make the whole greater than the sum of the parts. He's blowing it.

LoyalNiner

• Sophomore
- Despite the university making a large effort in updating all the signs on campus with the slightly modernized "UNC Charlotte" font and crown logo, the bench chairs in Halton still have the old logo.

I actually just pointed this out to my wife. That logo was updated in 2007 or 2008, so 7 or 8 years ago. And they still have not bought chairs with the new logo. (Or worse, they did buy new chairs but with the old logo.)
They have chairs with the new logo but they don't use them on the court for some reason.

I know it's a silly thing to get annoyed at, but you've got to be kidding me! How can you not care enough to promote your brand properly?

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
1 (800) 273-8255
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

emf

• Senior

I know it's a silly thing to get annoyed at, but you've got to be kidding me! How can you not care enough to promote your brand properly?
I remember being surprised and confused to see those chairs in the practice court at the pre-game meal, wondered why they weren't being used.  Then I remembered this was the AD we're talking about.  It's probably because that brand belongs to another division, so not a priority for them.  They have a hard enough time promoting their own brand.  Media outlets after 15 years still use "UNCC 49ers".  Odd that University Marketing doesn't get after them, though.

49r9r

• Head Coach
1 (800) 273-8255

Now is a good time to add that if you call the AD, there is a good chance no one will answer.

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Universal

• Senior
  • I floss regularly
my biggest gripe is marketing the C-49er instead of the C-pick. The AD somehow has managed to turn the best emblem in college sports into what looks like a pile of poop on our football helmets.
“All that is best in the great poets of all countries is not what is national in them, but what is universal”

SF4Nynah

• Senior
    • http://
Sort of on the sentiment of the AD only focusing on the "whale" donors and not really caring about the rest of us...

Like a lot on this board, I'm a FSL holder. But at present, I don't really feel like the school cares. Aside from having our seats the same each season, there's absolutely no benefit to owning FSLs. I realize that I purchased FSLs to help build the program, not for any other benefits, but there are no special events, no recognition or attention, nothing at all. In the beginning, we were sold FSL on the promise that was the only way we were getting in the door. That's obviously not true anymore.

I've got a friend who has been a PSL holder for the Panthers since 1995. He'll get invites to stadium tours, random Panthers gear in the mail (t-shirts, hats, and a signed mini helmet have just shown up in the past three seasons), or even pregame field passes. Once a season, he gets a call asking how his gameday experience has been, and if he has any suggestions at all. It's like the team really cares about his support.

I'm not asking to be an assistant coach for a game, but I'd like to feel like the school appreciates me. If I called up the AD and said I'd love to tour the facilities, I feel like there's a good chance they'd show me around. But why can't the school take the initiative to reach out to me? I think a special night for FSL holders over the summer would be great. The same thing for basketball season ticket holders. Just have an evening you can come in, look around the facilities, mingle with the team, etc. Just something from the school to say, "Hey, you've invested some serious time and money into this school. Thank you."

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain

I've got a friend who has been a PSL holder for the Panthers since 1995. He'll get invites to stadium tours, random Panthers gear in the mail (t-shirts, hats, and a signed mini helmet have just shown up in the past three seasons), or even pregame field passes. Once a season, he gets a call asking how his gameday experience has been, and if he has any suggestions at all. It's like the team really cares about his support.

Not trying to be the resident d1ck but I've been a PSL holder for the past the 7 years and I've literally received none of things you've mentioned, not even a call (I fill out everything they send me). So let's hold off on what the Panthers are and aren't. I have been given tickets to the ACC Championship game and the Belk Bowl when they don't sell out but that is it.

austinniner

• Senior
my biggest gripe is marketing the C-49er instead of the C-pick. The AD somehow has managed to turn the best emblem in college sports into what looks like a pile of poop on our football helmets.

this
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

austinniner

• Senior
Boy oh boy, I've been waiting for a thread like this.

1: We have a million different shades of green, pick one, be consistent and stick with it

2: Our cheerleaders don't cheer..this frustrates the crap out of me
     a. Have cheerleaders lead the Forty...Niner chant during football

3:Our in game entertainment during football is weak, doesn't flow and looks low rate. It lacks a semblance of creativity and is something our AD would produce

4: Our social media marketing is equally pathetic, it lacks personality. The "graphics" they put up are inconsistent in style with each other, vary highly in quality and send different messages. Our # tags change month to month, and compete with the San Fran 49ers (who obviously have a larger social media presence then us). If you want to see what a good, engaging social media account looks like, check out the Carolina Panthers. We should at least attempt to be like them

5:The AD doesn't handle criticism at all. As a student, its amazing how closed off the AD is to hearing suggestions.

6: Mentioned previously, but our marketing to young alums is nonexistent.

7:Our marketing in general is nonexistent. My uncle who is older and retired, lives in south charlotte (not affiliated with the university, but generally interested in college sports, likes going to the occasional basketball,football, baseball game) has never been contacted as a potential ticket buyer.  How many of these types of people exist?

8:Engagement with our primary fanbase is pisspoor. Debbie Yow (NCSU AD) first thing when she started at State, was gathering feedback from the fanbase. Its really simple, check it out ->http://gopack.com/sports/2015/4/27/GEN_20140101182.aspx. Showing that you care, is the reason NCSU has such a huge lower contribution donor base.

9:From my previous point, mobilizing the low-cost donor base. Check out this article (again NCSU) and tell me if you can spot the difference between us and them.. http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB122178385188954793.

10:Strategic Plan, long term vision, whatever you wanna call it. I think every successful AD has one of these. But I guess this would require accountability.

11:Our culture..this is the biggest one in my opinion. I've never encountered this sort of culture with any other AD in NC..App, ECU,NCSU, Chapel Hill, Wake..etc etc, all have a "We're big time, we're going to win, lets see what you can do to stop us" mentality. We don't and the only reason we are where we are is because of the city we're in. Hate to say it, but if ECU approached things like we did, they'd be in FCS. Until this changes, my hope of long term sustained success our of our AD is pretty low.

Until Judy retires and the culture changes from the top down, nothings going to change.

and all of this, and #11 especially.
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos