Author Topic: Lutz reassigned at State  (Read 9455 times)

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #25 on: April 13, 2016, 05:08:24 pm
From the Davidson board...

Quote from: citycat
History would be very different if Bobby Lutz had concluded that Steph Curry of Christian was a better prospect than Charles Dewhurst of Latin a little over a decade ago.

Lutz might be reassigning Mark Gottfried to be the Special Deputy to the Assistant AD at NCSU.
They ain't necessarily wrong...

Did we even recruit Curry? If not, why not? If so, why didn't we get him? I want the REAL story, not another Lutz myth.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Sophomore
Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 05:40:15 pm
Don't get me wrong guys, I love bobby, but this is a weird situation.   Color me suspicious. Don't appreciate the chapel hill hypocrites though. Have they read the news in the last 7 years??
#bus1

cltniners

• Athletic Director
Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 06:51:37 pm
clt says Steven curry turned out to be an anomaly.
clt's signature: The 49ers established Thursday that their role is what they say it is. Tom Sorensen, Friday, Nov. 14, 2008

bball49er

• Junior
Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 08:06:42 pm
His new administrative duties with the basketball program will include assistance with the personal and academic development, housing arrangements, planning and logistics associated with the team’s upcoming foreign tour and other special projects.

So, he's team mom.
Yes but getting paid well to do it. 

Many moons ago heard Lutz say on a local sports radio show, Del told him Steph was not interested in coming to Charlotte. 

hootie

• Assistant Coach
Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 08:07:18 pm

History would be very different if Bobby Lutz had concluded that Steph Curry of Christian was a better prospect than Charles Dewhurst of Latin a little over a decade ago.

Lutz might be reassigning Mark Gottfried to be the Special Deputy to the Assistant AD at NCSU.

Did we even recruit Curry? If not, why not? If so, why didn't we get him? I want the REAL story, not another Lutz myth.

Lutz did look at Curry but told the HS staff that he liked his guards to be "bigger" (as in stronger) and never offered a schollie.  That is the truth as I know it from a very reliable guy that's son was a HS teammate of Curry.  Graduated same year as Curry
[UNC-CH] is a turd floating in the punch bowl. - Gregg Doyel 9/7/10

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #30 on: April 13, 2016, 10:37:20 pm

Lutz did look at Curry but told the HS staff that he liked his guards to be "bigger" (as in stronger) and never offered a schollie.  That is the truth as I know it from a very reliable guy that's son was a HS teammate of Curry.  Graduated same year as Curry

Also...................... very few good D1 programs wanted Curry back then.  McKillop hit the jackpot, just like Bill Foster did when he signed some guy named Cedric. 

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 08:35:19 am

Also...................... very few good D1 programs wanted Curry back then.  McKillop hit the jackpot, just like Bill Foster did when he signed some guy named Cedric. 

Not quite right. Curry had ONE (yes ONE D1 scholarship offer----Davidson). He also had an offer to be a "preferred walk-on" at Va. Tech (Dell's alma mater). Cornbread had other offers besides Charlotte (not any real BIG names, but some other offers). McKillop basically won the lottery, he (or no one else) had ANY idea Curry would turn out like he has. There was a reason no one else offered. By all accounts, he was not really D1 material.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:37:00 am by 919R »

cltniners

• Athletic Director
Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 08:45:06 am
clt will get this thread back on track. Vote Jeb!
clt's signature: The 49ers established Thursday that their role is what they say it is. Tom Sorensen, Friday, Nov. 14, 2008

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #33 on: April 14, 2016, 02:35:31 pm
The Steph Curry recruiting story might be the biggest dead horse on NNN.  Mostly it's an opportunity for people to take a shot at Lutz.

To add to what 919R posted, both Dell and Steph said that Seth was a better player in HS than Steph was.  Yet Seth only received a scholarship to Liberty. 

After leading the nation in scoring and a First Team All American selection, Steph wasn't selected until #7 in the NBA draft.  That was behind Ricky Rubio and Johnny Flynn.

Bottom line, since his recruitment in HS, Steph Curry grew and has gotten better every year.  He is constantly proving everyone wrong.  He just did it again this season, by the Warriors having the best single season in NBA history.  No one predicted that would happen.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

jfickett

• Senior Captain
  • Charlotte 49ers Football - A new chance for glory.
    • LinkedIn
Reply #34 on: April 14, 2016, 04:39:44 pm

Not quite right. Curry had ONE (yes ONE D1 scholarship offer----Davidson). He also had an offer to be a "preferred walk-on" at Va. Tech (Dell's alma mater). Cornbread had other offers besides Charlotte (not any real BIG names, but some other offers). McKillop basically won the lottery, he (or no one else) had ANY idea Curry would turn out like he has. There was a reason no one else offered. By all accounts, he was not really D1 material.

15 seconds of googling revealed that he had 7, but ok: 

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Stephen-Curry-67873/RecruitInterests
11/28/2016 (16:35:02) s9er: It cost less to in student fees to launch a man into space than it does get a Charlotte men's basketball team into the NCAA's

NLP

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
Reply #35 on: April 14, 2016, 04:49:28 pm
The Steph Curry recruiting story might be the biggest dead horse on NNN.  Mostly it's an opportunity for people to take a shot at Lutz.

To add to what 919R posted, both Dell and Steph said that Seth was a better player in HS than Steph was.  Yet Seth only received a scholarship to Liberty. 

After leading the nation in scoring and a First Team All American selection, Steph wasn't selected until #7 in the NBA draft.  That was behind Ricky Rubio and Johnny Flynn.

Bottom line, since his recruitment in HS, Steph Curry grew and has gotten better every year.  He is constantly proving everyone wrong.  He just did it again this season, by the Warriors having the best single season in NBA history.  No one predicted that would happen.

He also benefits from a rise in advanced analytics that tell players to shoot more 3 pointers. Three pointers are up across the board at every level of the game. Way up.
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #36 on: April 14, 2016, 04:51:59 pm

Sorry, I didn't resort to "googling. I can only tell you what I have heard MANY times from multiple people, including Dell. Maybe it was "major" college offers and or some of these may have come after he verballed to Davidson. IDK. Point being, NO ONE thought he even had the potential to come close to doing what he has done. Sorry, you apparently didn't follow these things very closely when they were actually occurring ......stick to Googling. Makes you seem really smart. Good job.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 04:58:42 pm by 919R »

moss2k

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #37 on: April 14, 2016, 05:03:54 pm

Sorry, I didn't resort to "googling. I can only tell you what I have heard MANY times from multiple people, including Dell. Maybe it was "major" college offers and or some of these may have come after he verballed to Davidson. IDK. Point being, NO ONE thought he even had the potential to come close to doing what he has done. Sorry, you apparently didn't follow these things very closely when they were actually occurring ......stick to Googling. Makes you seem really smart. Good job.
You are the one that stated only 1 D1 offer, which is wrong. He had no HM offers.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #38 on: April 14, 2016, 05:25:01 pm
The googled page of Curry offers lists him as a 3 star recruit FWIW.

cltniners

• Athletic Director
Reply #39 on: April 14, 2016, 06:14:27 pm
clt says curry insists on copper at his house, because he fears gold wire.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #40 on: April 14, 2016, 07:51:28 pm

You are the one that stated only 1 D1 offer, which is wrong. He had no HM offers.
Pardon me for repeating what I have heard many times. I have a hard time believing some of you never heard this stated publically before. Maybe it was wrong or an exaggeration but has been said many times. From here forward I will refer all recruiting info to the next Dave Telep.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:17:54 pm by 919R »

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #41 on: April 14, 2016, 08:22:40 pm

Very true.  I'm sure he has some bad memories of gold wire.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:24:49 pm by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #42 on: April 14, 2016, 08:29:04 pm
Nice. Top 10 game last 10 years in Haltron.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #43 on: April 14, 2016, 09:46:15 pm
I don't think that's right, Seth Curry had more opportunities. I remember it being kind of surprising when he chose Liberty, given his other options. But maybe the other schools pulled their scholarship offers once it became apparent he was going elsewhere (happens a lot). I'm pretty sure Davidson offered him, and I think VT gave him an offer at some point (maybe it was late in the game?).

I agree about Stephen Curry, most programs missed his potential, I don't hold that against Lutz much at all, other than being a little surprised Lutz wasn't interested in taking a flyer on him because he was such a gunner.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #44 on: April 15, 2016, 12:38:45 am
I don't think that's right, Seth Curry had more opportunities. I remember it being kind of surprising when he chose Liberty, given his other options. But maybe the other schools pulled their scholarship offers once it became apparent he was going elsewhere (happens a lot). I'm pretty sure Davidson offered him, and I think VT gave him an offer at some point (maybe it was late in the game?).

I agree about Stephen Curry, most programs missed his potential, I don't hold that against Lutz much at all, other than being a little surprised Lutz wasn't interested in taking a flyer on him because he was such a gunner.

That's the thing, he wasn't as much of a gunner in HS.  He's gotten better and better every year. 

Plus, he was a 6'1" and 160lbs SG.  He didn't start playing PG until his Jr season at Davidson.  There's just not that many SGs, with Steph's physical build, that had been successful.   

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 02:26:01 am
Who would have known Stef would turn out to be one of the best shooters of all time? In college he looked like a 7th grader. It was hard to take him seriously.

jfickett

• Senior Captain
  • Charlotte 49ers Football - A new chance for glory.
    • LinkedIn
Reply #46 on: April 15, 2016, 07:57:53 am

Pardon me for repeating what I have heard many times. I have a hard time believing some of you never heard this stated publically before. Maybe it was wrong or an exaggeration but has been said many times. From here forward I will refer all recruiting info to the next Dave Telep.

You love to point out to others when they are wrong, but when you get called out for hurling the same hyperbole and exaggerations you call others out for, you instantly go on the offensive.  It's not hard to verify information.  I'd heard what you said stated publicly many times before, and, like some people, was very skeptical.  So I looked it up before touting it as truth. 
11/28/2016 (16:35:02) s9er: It cost less to in student fees to launch a man into space than it does get a Charlotte men's basketball team into the NCAA's

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #47 on: April 15, 2016, 08:17:53 am

You love to point out to others when they are wrong, but when you get called out for hurling the same hyperbole and exaggerations you call others out for, you instantly go on the offensive.  It's not hard to verify information.  I'd heard what you said stated publicly many times before, and, like some people, was very skeptical.  So I looked it up before touting it as truth.
You seem to have some strange obsession with me. Actually, I rarely "point out when others are wrong". You are the only one on here that I have had multiple "issues" with and each time, it involved you taking unsolicited personal shots at me. Its like you wait around and read my posts just waiting to "jump in" when you think I am wrong about something. Congrats, I hope you feel good about that. Its a freakin' message boards, for OPINIONS. Get over yourself. If you have anything else to attack me on, just PM me please.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:20:45 am by 919R »

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #48 on: April 15, 2016, 08:32:10 am

cltniners

• Athletic Director
Reply #49 on: April 15, 2016, 08:37:24 am

clt loves a good caddyshack reference. Well played, sir.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos