Author Topic: Lutz reassigned at State  (Read 13706 times)

49r9r

• Head Coach
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

jfickett

Reply #51 on: April 15, 2016, 09:22:36 am
From the Davidson board...

Quote from: citycat
History would be very different if Bobby Lutz had concluded that Steph Curry of Christian was a better prospect than Charles Dewhurst of Latin a little over a decade ago.

Lutz might be reassigning Mark Gottfried to be the Special Deputy to the Assistant AD at NCSU.
They ain't necessarily wrong...

Did we even recruit Curry? If not, why not? If so, why didn't we get him? I want the REAL story, not another Lutz myth.

Lutz did look at Curry but told the HS staff that he liked his guards to be "bigger" (as in stronger) and never offered a schollie.  That is the truth as I know it from a very reliable guy that's son was a HS teammate of Curry.  Graduated same year as Curry

Also...................... very few good D1 programs wanted Curry back then.  McKillop hit the jackpot, just like Bill Foster did when he signed some guy named Cedric. 

Not quite right. Curry had ONE (yes ONE D1 scholarship offer----Davidson). He also had an offer to be a "preferred walk-on" at Va. Tech (Dell's alma mater). Cornbread had other offers besides Charlotte (not any real BIG names, but some other offers). McKillop basically won the lottery, he (or no one else) had ANY idea Curry would turn out like he has. There was a reason no one else offered. By all accounts, he was not really D1 material.

15 seconds of googling revealed that he had 7, but ok: 

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Stephen-Curry-67873/RecruitInterests
Sorry, I didn't resort to "googling. I can only tell you what I have heard MANY times from multiple people, including Dell. Maybe it was "major" college offers and or some of these may have come after he verballed to Davidson. IDK. Point being, NO ONE thought he even had the potential to come close to doing what he has done. Sorry, you apparently didn't follow these things very closely when they were actually occurring ......stick to Googling. Makes you seem really smart. Good job.
You are the one that stated only 1 D1 offer, which is wrong. He had no HM offers.
Pardon me for repeating what I have heard many times. I have a hard time believing some of you never heard this stated publically before. Maybe it was wrong or an exaggeration but has been said many times. From here forward I will refer all recruiting info to the next Dave Telep.

You love to point out to others when they are wrong, but when you get called out for hurling the same hyperbole and exaggerations you call others out for, you instantly go on the offensive.  It's not hard to verify information.  I'd heard what you said stated publicly many times before, and, like some people, was very skeptical.  So I looked it up before touting it as truth.
You seem to have some strange obsession with me. Actually, I rarely "point out when others are wrong". You are the only one on here that I have had multiple "issues" with and each time, it involved you taking unsolicited personal shots at me. Its like you wait around and read my posts just waiting to "jump in" when you think I am wrong about something. Congrats, I hope you feel good about that. Its a freakin' message boards, for OPINIONS. Get over yourself. If you have anything else to attack me on, just PM me please.

There is nothing personal about it.  I just don't think you know the difference between fact or opinion.  It has nothing to do with feeling good about myself; I don't need to troll you to do that.  It has to do with correcting misinformation.  That is all.  I also don't think you know the meaning of the word "obsession," but that's a different story all together.

Sorry for the threadjack.

Ninercentral

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #52 on: April 15, 2016, 09:31:39 am

You love to point out to others when they are wrong, but when you get called out for hurling the same hyperbole and exaggerations you call others out for, you instantly go on the offensive.  It's not hard to verify information.  I'd heard what you said stated publicly many times before, and, like some people, was very skeptical.  So I looked it up before touting it as truth.
You seem to have some strange obsession with me. Actually, I rarely "point out when others are wrong". You are the only one on here that I have had multiple "issues" with and each time, it involved you taking unsolicited personal shots at me. Its like you wait around and read my posts just waiting to "jump in" when you think I am wrong about something. Congrats, I hope you feel good about that. Its a freakin' message boards, for OPINIONS. Get over yourself. If you have anything else to attack me on, just PM me please.
[/quote]

There is nothing personal about it.  I just don't think you know the difference between fact or opinion.  It has nothing to do with feeling good about myself; I don't need to troll you to do that.  It has to do with correcting misinformation.  That is all.  I also don't think you know the meaning of the word "obsession," but that's a different story all together.

[/quote]

I don't want to get into the fray here, but that link shows an "offer" from Virginia Tech, which we ALL know wasn't the case, if by offer, it means scholarship offer. Who knows how accurate the other info is.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #53 on: April 15, 2016, 10:18:38 am
From the Davidson board...

Quote from: citycat
History would be very different if Bobby Lutz had concluded that Steph Curry of Christian was a better prospect than Charles Dewhurst of Latin a little over a decade ago.

Lutz might be reassigning Mark Gottfried to be the Special Deputy to the Assistant AD at NCSU.
They ain't necessarily wrong...

Did we even recruit Curry? If not, why not? If so, why didn't we get him? I want the REAL story, not another Lutz myth.

Lutz did look at Curry but told the HS staff that he liked his guards to be "bigger" (as in stronger) and never offered a schollie.  That is the truth as I know it from a very reliable guy that's son was a HS teammate of Curry.  Graduated same year as Curry

Also...................... very few good D1 programs wanted Curry back then.  McKillop hit the jackpot, just like Bill Foster did when he signed some guy named Cedric. 

Not quite right. Curry had ONE (yes ONE D1 scholarship offer----Davidson). He also had an offer to be a "preferred walk-on" at Va. Tech (Dell's alma mater). Cornbread had other offers besides Charlotte (not any real BIG names, but some other offers). McKillop basically won the lottery, he (or no one else) had ANY idea Curry would turn out like he has. There was a reason no one else offered. By all accounts, he was not really D1 material.

15 seconds of googling revealed that he had 7, but ok: 

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Stephen-Curry-67873/RecruitInterests
Sorry, I didn't resort to "googling. I can only tell you what I have heard MANY times from multiple people, including Dell. Maybe it was "major" college offers and or some of these may have come after he verballed to Davidson. IDK. Point being, NO ONE thought he even had the potential to come close to doing what he has done. Sorry, you apparently didn't follow these things very closely when they were actually occurring ......stick to Googling. Makes you seem really smart. Good job.
You are the one that stated only 1 D1 offer, which is wrong. He had no HM offers.
Pardon me for repeating what I have heard many times. I have a hard time believing some of you never heard this stated publically before. Maybe it was wrong or an exaggeration but has been said many times. From here forward I will refer all recruiting info to the next Dave Telep.

Whatever you say, and yes I am glad you didn't make personal insults again. ::) 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:21:33 am by 919R »

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #54 on: April 15, 2016, 10:22:12 am
Saw Rob Perrin at the Davidson debacle this year and asked him if it was true Curry got only one offer. He said Curry was an early signee and would have received lots more if he had waited. For what its worth.
I can see a skinny kid not being hotly pursued during his junior year in high school.
More to the point, Lutz was NOT an idiot in this case and Mckillop is not a genius.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #55 on: April 15, 2016, 10:25:14 am
Saw Rob Perrin at the Davidson debacle this year and asked him if it was true Curry got only one offer. He said Curry was an early signee and would have received lots more if he had waited. For what its worth.
I can see a skinny kid not being hotly pursued during his junior year in high school.
More to the point, Lutz was NOT an idiot in this case and Mckillop is not a genius.
So, are you saying that at the time Curry signed that he did only have 1 D1 offer? (according to Rob Perrin-----who probably doesn't know near as much as certain posters on this board).................... This also means that you had heard this was the case.
Careful, you shouldn't spread misinformation on this board like that.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:30:11 am by 919R »

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #56 on: April 15, 2016, 10:34:19 am
F Curry, F Davidson - that is all.
Mahna Mahna

jfickett

Reply #57 on: April 15, 2016, 10:34:59 am
So, are you saying that at the time Curry signed that he did only have 1 D1 offer? (according to Rob Perrin-----who probably doesn't know near as much as certain posters on this board).................... This also means that you had heard this was the case.

Did you read his post?  Please point to the part where it said he only had 1 D1 offer. 

Do you understand that there is a difference between:

Rob, did he only have 1 D1 offer? "Yes." 

vs.

Rob, did he only have 1 D1 offer?  "He would have had lots more if he waited."

There is a difference in those two sentences.  Right?

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #58 on: April 15, 2016, 10:52:48 am

Did you read his post?  Please point to the part where it said he only had 1 D1 offer. 

vs.

I absolutely knew you would come back since he didn't have Perrin's exact quote, but I am really impressed at how quickly you replied. Good job...........If someone asks someone else a direct question (as 4ever niner did to Perrin), do you not think that the person would first say "no" if the information was not correct and then perhaps they would come back with additional information to explain further? If the answer is affirmative, then the person is more likely to just go directly into additional information (as Perrin did). Have you ever heard of the word inference?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:54:22 am by 919R »

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #59 on: April 15, 2016, 11:03:30 am
So, how about that Bobby Lutz guy.
#unc-CHeatingPays

jfickett

Reply #60 on: April 15, 2016, 11:05:52 am

vs.

I absolutely knew you would come back since he didn't have Perrin's exact quote, but I am really impressed at how quickly you replied. Good job...........If someone asks someone else a direct question (as 4ever niner did to Perrin), do you not think that the person would first say "no" if the information was not correct and then perhaps they would come back with additional information to explain further? If the answer is affirmative, then the person is more likely to just go directly into additional information (as Perrin did). Have you ever heard of the word inference?

Inferences aren't helpful.  I could link you to all the logical fallacies your entire argument in this thread touches, but instead, I'll let you work on those googling skills.  8)

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #61 on: April 15, 2016, 11:19:14 am

jfickett

Reply #62 on: April 15, 2016, 11:19:51 am

Wish him nothing but the best.  Very interesting that he hasn't taken an HC job to this point, as there have been many openings for which he has the qualifications.  I would suspect he wants to stay in the Southeast, which might narrow the options a bit, but I'm sure there is more to the story that we don't know.  Maybe, as someone mentioned, the prospect of a full state pension keeps him around, and I wouldn't blame him for that one bit.

I hope one day that the school and BL mend the burnt bridges because he is arguably one of our most important alums.  It would be great to have him involved with the school again someday.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #63 on: April 15, 2016, 11:36:29 am

Wish him nothing but the best.  Very interesting that he hasn't taken an HC job to this point, as there have been many openings for which he has the qualifications.  I would suspect he wants to stay in the Southeast, which might narrow the options a bit, but I'm sure there is more to the story that we don't know.  Maybe, as someone mentioned, the prospect of a full state pension keeps him around, and I wouldn't blame him for that one bit.

I hope one day that the school and BL mend the burnt bridges because he is arguably one of our most important alums.  It would be great to have him involved with the school again someday.

Bingo, and I mean this in the kindest possible way when I say his demotion, or whatever we are calling this, may temper his feelings about how it ended at Charlotte.  Coaching is a business where you get paid a ton to deliver, and kicked to the curb when you don't.  Even if you know that it has to hurt, especially the first time, and especially when it is your alma mater.  However, I don't think you can stay in the business and hate everyone that doesn't hire you, or keep you.  It was a business decision, and completely separate from how we feel about Lutz the guy.

I do wonder how Bobby's daughter Christine is feeling about her alma mater (NCSU) right now.
#unc-CHeatingPays

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net

jfickett

Reply #65 on: April 15, 2016, 12:09:39 pm
This should clear things up:

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/04/15/josh-pastner-requirement-for-assistant-coaches-no-golfing/

That is really petty and frankly draconian.  Whether the assistant chooses to spend 4 or 5 hours on a saturday golfing, watching kids play soccer, going on picnic with his wife, or whatever, its not a HC's job to dictate how his assistants spend their free time.  I get that college recruiting is a "24/7" business, but jeez, most people have their phones with them on the course anyway.  What a douche.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #66 on: April 15, 2016, 12:10:36 pm

vs.

Inferences aren't helpful TO MY ARGUMENT.  I could link you to all the logical fallacies your entire argument in this thread touches, but instead, I'll let you work on those googling skills.  8)
FTFY.. You're welcome.  8) ......Also, considering the horrible grammar in that post of yours, perhaps you could use the time to work on grasping the English language.   ;)

jfickett

Reply #67 on: April 15, 2016, 12:23:04 pm

vs.

Inferences aren't helpful TO MY ARGUMENT.  I could link you to all the logical fallacies your entire argument in this thread touches, but instead, I'll let you work on those googling skills.  8)
FTFY.. You're welcome.  8) ......Also, considering the horrible grammar in that post of yours, perhaps you could use the time to work on grasping the English language.   ;)

Could you please diagram where my grammar is incorrect in the prior post?  I'll concede that the syntax might not be ideal, but in order to help me learn, I would love some detailed instruction from you. 

"Resorting to grammar disputes is the quickest and simplest way to admit defeat in an internet argument." - Benjamin Franklin, 3rd President of the United States, probably.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #68 on: April 15, 2016, 12:58:28 pm

vs.

Could you please diagram where my grammar is incorrect in the prior post?  I'll concede that the syntax might not be ideal, but in order to help me learn, I would love some detailed instruction from you. 

"Resorting to grammar disputes is the quickest and simplest way to admit defeat in an internet argument." - Benjamin Franklin, 3rd President of the United States, probably.
No.  ;D  If you read that sentence and are proud of it, then bless your heart!

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #69 on: April 15, 2016, 01:52:50 pm
I wonder what State does if the Wolfpack does not make the NCAA next year.   
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #70 on: April 15, 2016, 02:01:24 pm
F Curry, F Davidson - that is all.

Also I echo the thoughts on Coach.  He got treated very poorly in his dismissal here.  I hope whatever he wants works out for him and that he can one day be welcomed back on campus once we dump the leadership we have.
Mahna Mahna

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #71 on: April 15, 2016, 02:25:31 pm
I wonder what State does when the Wolfpack does not make the NCAA next year.
FTFY

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #72 on: April 15, 2016, 02:44:28 pm
You seem to have some strange obsession with me.

I don't want to get into the fray here, but that link shows an "offer" from Virginia Tech, which we ALL know wasn't the case, if by offer, it means scholarship offer. Who knows how accurate the other info is. I did notice that too. It could be that prior to the Davidson offer/signing, he did not have any other offers. Which could validate Perrin, Job and 919R.

Mod edit: Fixed the small text issue
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 04:05:00 pm by NLP49 »

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #73 on: April 15, 2016, 02:50:20 pm
Holy small text size!

I posted that I did notice that too, to Ninercentral's post.

It could be that at the time of Steph verballing to Davidson, that he did not have any other offers.  But then did receive additional offers after that.  This could validate both sides argument.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #74 on: April 15, 2016, 03:22:26 pm
Holy small text size!

I posted that I did notice that too, to Ninercentral's post.

It could be that at the time of Steph verballing to Davidson, that he did not have any other offers.  But then did receive additional offers after that.  This could validate both sides argument.
I agree and actually mentioned maybe that was the case on reply #36 of this thread (pasted below), but at that point 2 posters were having too much fun telling me how wrong I was.  Thanks for the common sense post.

919R - Maybe it was "major" college offers and or some of these may have come after he verballed to Davidson. IDK.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:24:09 pm by 919R »

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos