Author Topic: Lutz reassigned at State  (Read 14329 times)

cltniners

Reply #75 on: April 15, 2016, 04:28:51 pm
clt almost drove the green today on a par 4. Had to settle for birdie.

Thanks Alan majour.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #76 on: May 10, 2016, 02:41:20 pm
The Steph Curry recruiting story might be the biggest dead horse on NNN.  Mostly it's an opportunity for people to take a shot at Lutz.

To add to what 919R posted, both Dell and Steph said that Seth was a better player in HS than Steph was.  Yet Seth only received a scholarship to Liberty. 

After leading the nation in scoring and a First Team All American selection, Steph wasn't selected until #7 in the NBA draft.  That was behind Ricky Rubio and Johnny Flynn.

Bottom line, since his recruitment in HS, Steph Curry grew and has gotten better every year.  He is constantly proving everyone wrong.  He just did it again this season, by the Warriors having the best single season in NBA history.  No one predicted that would happen.

Curry did it (did what no one predicted) again.  First unanimous MVP in league history.

I'll go ahead and predict it now, so that he doesn't prove me wrong again.  He'll be the first guy to win the MVP 4  seasons in a row.  Wilt and Bird are the only guys to win it 3 seasons in a row.

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #77 on: May 10, 2016, 03:47:22 pm
I'm predicting Curry will outscore the entire other team in every quarter of every game next season.  :D

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #78 on: November 29, 2016, 06:28:33 pm
From today's piece in the Big O about Mark Gottfried:
Gottfried also made the difficult decision to part ways with top assistant Bobby Lutz, who had worked with Gottfried all five years since Gottfried was hired in April 2011.

“I felt it was time to get new ideas,” Gottfried said.

Lutz’s strength is scouting and strategy, Gottfried said, but not recruiting.

“He’s a great X-and-O coach,” Gottfried said. “But we really only had one guy (assistant Orlando Early) out recruiting last year like we needed to and that hurt us.”
Charlotteobserver.com: NC State’s Mark Gottfried better than fine after difficult offseason
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:50:39 pm by Run49er »

cltniners

Reply #79 on: November 29, 2016, 07:16:27 pm
Gottfried also made the difficult decision to part ways with top assistant Bobby Lutz, who had worked with Gottfried all five years since Gottfried was hired in April 2011.

“He’s a great X-and-O coach,” Gottfried said. “But we really only had one guy (assistant Orlando Early) out recruiting last year like we needed to and that hurt us.”
Charlotteobserver.com: NC State’s Mark Gottfried better than fine after difficult offseason

clt says typical observer. Always bringing the 49ers into an article that has nothing to do with us.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #80 on: November 29, 2016, 07:25:28 pm

clt says typical observer. Always bringing the 49ers into an article that has nothing to do with us.

That article was cut and paste from the Raleigh News Observer. The Charlotte Observer writers would never write a sports article that long unless it was maybe about dem heels.

49erCC

• Sophomore
Reply #81 on: January 08, 2017, 03:33:02 pm
Gott may wish he had kept Lutz around!!!!
Really pissed me off when he let Lutz go this off season

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #82 on: January 08, 2017, 03:41:01 pm
Not wanting to recruit was cited as a reason. If you're not good at or willing to recruit, you don't have much of a place in college basketball anymore.

Ninercentral

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #83 on: January 08, 2017, 03:43:04 pm
Not wanting to recruit was cited as a reason. If you're not good at or willing to recruit, you don't have much of a place in college basketball anymore.

All the state fans I knew thought Bibby was the x and o mastermind. Maybe he was for them.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #84 on: January 08, 2017, 04:40:10 pm

All the state fans I knew thought Bibby was the x and o mastermind. Maybe he was for them.
he might have been but Gottfried specifically cited Bobby's lack of recruiting as a reason he was removed from the staff.

That's all I was saying.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #85 on: January 08, 2017, 05:19:50 pm
State finished 3rd from the bottom of the ACC last year, finishing with what I think was only the 2nd season of his entire career with a losing season, and his first at State that did not result in a NCAA appearance.  Some State fans think he was looking for someone to blame when he started replacing assistants.  I guess only time will tell if he made the correct decision. 

« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:21:22 pm by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #86 on: January 08, 2017, 08:53:59 pm
My brother in law is a state grad and big bball fan, he said they were saying on their chat pages that he was let go because he couldn't coach D... which also kind of makes sense.  Prob a combination of all that has been said.
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO. 
NWA - 5/8/13

Submarley734

• Senior
Reply #87 on: January 09, 2017, 12:57:07 am
My brother in law is a state grad and big bball fan, he said they were saying on their chat pages that he was let go because he couldn't coach D... which also kind of makes sense.  Prob a combination of all that has been said.

Not saying you are wrong, but that floors me. That sounds like a coach who is trying to blame everyone but himself. I've never heard of an assistant coach being fired because of the defense.

Dowless

• Freshman
Reply #88 on: January 09, 2017, 07:47:02 am

Not saying you are wrong, but that floors me. That sounds like a coach who is trying to blame everyone but himself. I've never heard of an assistant coach being fired because of the defense.

Maybe Mark Price could learn from this.

NLP

Reply #89 on: January 09, 2017, 09:32:25 am

I guess losing by 51 is an example of excellent defense. That really showed Bobby.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #90 on: January 09, 2017, 10:48:55 am
I like Bobby a great deal. He's a good guy in my estimation. I seem to recall him being fired before, as well as losing out to seemingly lesser people for head coaching jobs.  I give Gottfried a pass since I have no inside information.

EE9er

• Assistant Coach
Reply #91 on: January 09, 2017, 11:01:24 am

I guess losing by 51 is an example of excellent defense. That really showed Bobby.

Don't shoot the messenger... like I said... chat pages...
"No more excuses, no more apologists, no more anything.... time to win or GTFO. 
NWA - 5/8/13

NLP

Reply #92 on: January 09, 2017, 12:15:38 pm
Word, EE. Totally not directed to you.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #93 on: January 09, 2017, 02:09:46 pm
Gottfried didn't fire Bobby.  He re-assigned him to another job at State.  We fired Bobby.  It's not a firing if you're still working.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #94 on: January 09, 2017, 02:17:00 pm
Gottfried didn't fire Bobby.  He re-assigned him to another job at State.  We fired Bobby.  It's not a firing if you're still working.
In both cases he was relieved of duties while still being paid. Amounts to the same thing.

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #95 on: January 09, 2017, 02:29:40 pm
In both cases he was relieved of duties while still being paid. Amounts to the same thing.

Not really - he was reassigned to a job he didn't want and left, vs being booted out the door here.  If he is still getting paid by state it is a negotiated amount, vs here he was getting what his contract said he should.
Mahna Mahna

VA49er

• Head Coach
Reply #96 on: January 09, 2017, 02:34:54 pm

Not really - he was reassigned to a job he didn't want and left, vs being booted out the door here.  If he is still getting paid by state it is a negotiated amount, vs here he was getting what his contract said he should.

While technically not the same the result was the same.  He left both places.  His State situation reminded me of the way the Japanese get folks to leave by just demoting them to the corner basement office with no windows so they get fed up and leave on their own.  I bet Bobby didn't even get to take his stapler with him. 

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #97 on: January 09, 2017, 02:39:28 pm

While technically not the same the result was the same.  He left both places.  His State situation reminded me of the way the Japanese get folks to leave by just demoting them to the corner basement office with no windows so they get fed up and leave on their own.  I bet Bobby didn't even get to take his stapler with him.

He was told he could listen to has radio at a reasonable level.
Mahna Mahna

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #98 on: January 09, 2017, 04:06:25 pm
Lutz was the X's and O's game when Watkins was head coach.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos