Author Topic: clt starts the SEC thread  (Read 8008 times)

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 06:57:30 pm
Which one of you let the cat out of the bag?  This was supposed to remain a secret until the big announcement at a later date. 

We now have proof of this.  I checked flight-tracker and there are people flying from Birmingham (SEC Headquarters) to CLT and people have also been flying from CLT to Birmingham. 

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

NinerAdvocate

Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 07:08:16 pm
Harry Minimum, the ODU beat writer, just retweeted my Charlotte to SEC tweet.

cltniners

Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 08:30:08 pm
clt sees a little smoke.

49RFootballNow

• Chancellor
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • http://www.myspace.com/stanton4949
Reply #28 on: May 12, 2016, 11:00:29 pm
They interviewed Coach Lambert on 730am this afternoon. They didn't bring up the SEC thing till after the interview was over. They said that it was just the writer going off geography.

cltniners

Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 06:41:35 am
clt says the 49ers joining the sec will be the best thing possible for 730.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #30 on: May 13, 2016, 08:07:29 am
Men's soccer is carrying this school right now!!!

Well, not really, but you could almost make an argument for it.

trickynbc

• Freshman
  • BSEE 2010, I Wanna Go Fast!
Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 10:46:27 am
Ryan McGee may have written that article and put us in the SEC based on our TV market, but there is no way he even mentions us unless he has heard rumors at ESPN or else where about the possibility. I mean he does coverage on the SEC network occasionally.
"Why not pick Charlotte?" - Joe Thompson

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #32 on: May 13, 2016, 11:04:56 am
Ryan McGee may have written that article and put us in the SEC based on our TV market, but there is no way he even mentions us unless he has heard rumors at ESPN or else where about the possibility. I mean he does coverage on the SEC network occasionally.

Putting my tin-foil hat on, it's very possible ESPN has an agenda and the article could have been them trying to pull off an inception. Their role is too huge to throw out something that gets through all of their editors. All the G5 schools in this article probably got mentioned for specific reasons, and Charlotte could have been in because ESPN wanted to publically tell the SEC, "We want to be in North Carolina, don't waste your money on Tobacco Road"

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

trickynbc

• Freshman
  • BSEE 2010, I Wanna Go Fast!
Reply #33 on: May 13, 2016, 11:10:08 am
I agree Pip that is a possibility, our media is the main driving factor if we ever make it into the SEC.
"Why not pick Charlotte?" - Joe Thompson

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #34 on: May 13, 2016, 11:15:41 am
Charlotte could have been in because ESPN wanted to publically tell the SEC, "We want to be in North Carolina, don't waste your money on Tobacco Road"

Hmmm...ABC/ESPN owns the rights to ACC football

jfickett

Reply #35 on: May 13, 2016, 11:32:39 am
Charlotte could have been in because ESPN wanted to publically tell the SEC, "We want to be in North Carolina, don't waste your money on Tobacco Road"

And the SEC network

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #36 on: May 13, 2016, 01:11:15 pm

And the SEC network

Exactly, ESPN doesn't have anything to gain by the Power Conferences changing schools. If SEC added NC State, or UVA, they gain those markets for SEC but lose them for ACC. Realistically they should look at the G5 School with the best combination of high ceiling and market size, given it's a market the SEC isn't in yet (Sorry Houston, UCF, USF).

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

NinerAdvocate

Reply #37 on: May 15, 2016, 02:09:13 pm

cltniners

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net

cltniners

Reply #40 on: May 16, 2016, 06:27:17 am
clt says believe it or not, the observer takes a shot at us.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #41 on: May 16, 2016, 07:38:02 am

This comment on the article summed it up quite well: 

"Believe it or not"? What's not to believe David?

You sound more and more like Poole, Fowler and Persinger with every "know your place" inference. I wonder where NC's urban research university would be if the local fish wrap were more inclined to report the story than to inject their status quo bias. Funny, given the way the status quo approach has worked soooo well for the CO."

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 07:40:38 am by 49r9r »
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

cltniners

Reply #42 on: May 16, 2016, 09:20:16 am
clt says the story isn't even on the sports page: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #43 on: May 16, 2016, 09:51:26 am

This comment on the article summed it up quite well: 

"Believe it or not"? What's not to believe David?

You sound more and more like Poole, Fowler and Persinger with every "know your place" inference. I wonder where NC's urban research university would be if the local fish wrap were more inclined to report the story than to inject their status quo bias. Funny, given the way the status quo approach has worked soooo well for the CO."
You failed to note Metro's comment which, predictably, echoed Scott's amazement that anyone would consider the possibility that Charlotte might improve its circumstances in future.
On a bright note, one comment did direct me on how to make HUGH sums on money just using the internet. So excited!  :p

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #44 on: May 16, 2016, 10:48:35 am
clt says the story isn't even on the sports page: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/

Front of the Sports page in the printed edition.  Not sure how many people get the print version, but my office does.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos