Author Topic: 2017 Baseball Thread  (Read 86699 times)

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #550 on: May 08, 2017, 04:31:20 pm
Bruce pitched the 7th inning and one batter in the 8th, gave up one home run, but only threw 11 pitches total. Prochaska and Patten came in afterwards, didn't get a single out between them and gave up 6 runs. And they walked 4 guys. That finished us. Horkey did a good job finishing up, but the damage was done, blew a 5 run lead.
Thing about bringing in pitchers is that the same guy can be effective one time and worthless the next time. Rice brought in one to pitch the eighth and ninth Friday and he was not hittable. Same guy came in the third inning yesterday and his first pitch was hit to the center field wall for a triple and our guys were hammering him left and right.

Our problem, in my opinion, was that our Friday starter was not his usual lights-out self, giving up 3 in two innings and forcing us to use up our bullpen in the first game of the series. If that was not a one time occurrence, we will have a very short run in the conference tournament.

Yep, Laws going out with an injury after 2 killed the bullpen for the weekend.  I think it hurt the morale of the team too to be honest. I will say, Horkey did a great job of keeping us in it.  Then Josh didn't do the bullpen any favors by not making it out of the 4th on Saturday.  Our pitching is just not deep enough to overcome 5 innings from the starters in two games.

Lost in this disastrous weekend was Matt Brooks pitching solid in his 2nd C-USA start. He gave us 6 good innings and deserved a W yesterday.

I guess we will have to hold our breath and hope that Laws is OK.  We'll probably have to wait until the weekend game notes come out on Thursday.

I think we're done for the season.  We'll probably need to go undefeated the rest of the season to have a shot at an at-large bid and I don't see us having the pitching depth to win the tournament, especially if Laws has any kind of lasting injury. 
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #551 on: May 12, 2017, 01:50:03 pm
Some good news for a change.  I was worried that we lost Colton Laws with an injury, but he will be starting tonight on the mound.  Interestingly, we haven't announced our other 2 starters for the weekend yet.

Big series this weekend and a big senior day on Saturday.  This group, mainly Jarrett, Nichting, and Sherer; were thrown into the fire as Freshman.  We had just lost a big senior class in our last season in the A-10, and they stepped in as Freshman in C-USA and took the lumps and growing pains.  Daddio and Geoghegan are the only remaining players that played in the A-10.  Nice to see after taking some lumps they are finally getting to compete for a conference title and a potential NCAA bid.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #552 on: May 12, 2017, 02:04:01 pm
I think the start time for today's game has been moved up to 5:00.  Check before you go.
#unc-CHeatingPays

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #553 on: May 15, 2017, 09:08:10 am
As long as we don't get swept vs. Marshall we will have a winning conference record. Progress baby!

Tyro Niner

• Walk On
Reply #554 on: May 15, 2017, 09:30:28 am
My only concern is that we are losing the heart of our batting order for next year. I hope some of the younger guys or freshmen can step up. Our pitching on the other hand should be in pretty good shape. Laws, Horkey, Bruce and Brooks all performed well this year.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #555 on: May 15, 2017, 09:49:58 am
My only concern is that we are losing the heart of our batting order for next year. I hope some of the younger guys or freshmen can step up. Our pitching on the other hand should be in pretty good shape. Laws, Horkey, Bruce and Brooks all performed well this year.
Since we left the A10 recruiting has been better each year. Expect that to continue. I'm thinking continued upward momentum.
This year has been about what what was expected before the season started, but expectations heightened by a little early season success make the year seem like a disappointment.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #556 on: May 15, 2017, 10:55:54 am

We are really limping in to the final stretch of the season.  It really feels like we've hit a wall.  Coming in to this weekend we were the best defensive team in the conference.  4 errors on Friday and 1 huge error yesterday really cost us.

One positive change over the weekend is that we adjusted our pitching rotation.  Maciejewski was moved to the pen, and Patten was brought in from his closer's role to start on Saturday. That seemed to work out well.  Freshman Brooks has looked good filling in on Sunday's since Flanagan went out for the season.  I feel like Laws has sort of hit a wall over the past few weeks on Fridays. He hasn't been as sharp as he's been most of the season.

With one weekend left in the season, we can still finish as high as a 3 seed.  There are 5 teams fighting for the final 4 spots in the C-USA Tourney.  4 teams have clinched a spot (USM #1 seed), and 3 teams are out.

USM (22-5) ---  @UTSA
ODU (18-9) --- @FAU
LT (16-11) --- @MT
FAU (16-11) --- ODU

UTSA (15-12) ---  USM
Charlotte (15-12) --- @Marshall
Rice (14-13) --- @UAB
FIU (12-15) --- WKU
Marshall (12-15) --- Charlotte

MT (8-19) --- LT
UAB (8-19) --- Rice
WKU (6-21) --- @FIU

We get in the tourney with 1 win this weekend.  We hold the tie-breaker over LT and FIU. ODU, FAU, UTSA and Rice hold the tie-breaker over us.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #557 on: May 15, 2017, 11:19:56 am
Since we left the A10 recruiting has been better each year. Expect that to continue. I'm thinking continued upward momentum.
This year has been about what what was expected before the season started, but expectations heightened by a little early season success make the year seem like a disappointment.

Recruiting has definitely picked up.  It will pick up even more once Hibbs and staff get the remaining donations needed to get the indoor facility moving.  I have heard that they are getting pretty close.  Finishing the season on a good note would help.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #558 on: May 15, 2017, 11:47:54 am

Recruiting has definitely picked up.  It will pick up even more once Hibbs and staff get the remaining donations needed to get the indoor facility moving.  I have heard that they are getting pretty close.  Finishing the season on a good note would help.
The indoor hitting facility is a go.  They are wrapping up the final fundraising but it is moving forward now.
#unc-CHeatingPays

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #559 on: May 15, 2017, 12:17:11 pm

The indoor hitting facility is a go.  They are wrapping up the final fundraising but it is moving forward now.

Good. Do you know if/when an announcement might be coming on this?

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #560 on: May 15, 2017, 12:49:26 pm

They are working on the details.  Right now the big donation is anonymous, and it seems that makes it more difficult that naming it for someone.  I have to tell you, if I cut the check I want my name on the wall.  I am shallow like that.
#unc-CHeatingPays

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #561 on: May 15, 2017, 03:33:20 pm

They are working on the details.  Right now the big donation is anonymous, and it seems that makes it more difficult that naming it for someone.  I have to tell you, if I cut the check I want my name on the wall.  I am shallow like that.

Do you know if the Jarrett's made a big contribution? I had heard a year or more ago that they would be, but I've been surprised they didn't do it early enough for Zack to enjoy.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #562 on: May 15, 2017, 04:18:17 pm
Glad they've been able to secure the funds to get this going.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #563 on: May 15, 2017, 07:31:31 pm
"Do you know if the Jarrett's made a big contribution? I had heard a year or more ago that they would be, but I've been surprised they didn't do it early enough for Zack to enjoy. "
[/size]
[/size]i could see that going either way:  they would like for zack to enjoy the facility but don't to make him feel self-conscious by having it essentially "named for himself".  some people just don't roll that way!
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #564 on: May 18, 2017, 08:48:52 am
Final regular season series starts today at Marshall after a road win at Winthrop on Tuesday.

We can finish anywhere from the #3 seed to the #9 seed.  1 win gets us in the tourney, 2 wins likely gets us a 4-5 seed, and 3 wins could get us a #3 seed, depending on what others do.

I assume that we will go with Laws, Patten, Brooks as our starting rotation this weekend, and have Maciejewski in the pen.  Nichting currently leads C-USA in Average (.392) and can hopefully win the batting title this weekend.

USM (22-5) ---  @UTSA

ODU (18-9) --- @FAU
LT (16-11) --- @MT
FAU (16-11) --- ODU

UTSA (15-12) ---  USM
Charlotte (15-12) --- @Marshall
Rice (14-13) --- @UAB
FIU (12-15) --- WKU
Marshall (12-15) --- Charlotte

MT (8-19) --- LT
UAB (8-19) --- Rice
WKU (6-21) --- @FIU
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 08:51:16 am by Mr. Bojangles »

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #565 on: May 18, 2017, 07:01:49 pm
Baseball wins 5-3 at Marshall. Head to CUSA tournament next week. Hoping for help in some other league games later today.

ghostofclt

• Sophomore
Reply #566 on: May 18, 2017, 08:01:45 pm
Beware Rice.

And not for the carbs.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #567 on: May 18, 2017, 08:59:24 pm
Beware Rice.

And not for the carbs.
I think Southern Miss may have something for them. Anyway, I'll take a southern miss over a bowl of rice any time.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 09:01:30 pm by 4ever niner »

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #568 on: May 18, 2017, 09:41:06 pm
nah.  i ain't gonna say it.    :-X
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #569 on: May 19, 2017, 08:45:54 am
We are currently the 4 seed since we have the tie breaker over LT.  The 3 seed is still attainable but we have to sweep and ODU has to beat FAU in the next 2.  The lowest seed we can get is a 7.

We didn't get much help yesterday aside from LT losing at MTSU, and USM beating UTSA.  Rice is still climbing and I doubt they lose again.  We need to sweep to stay 1 game in front of them. Otherwise, we could fall into a tie for 4th and end up with a 6 seed.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #570 on: May 19, 2017, 11:52:01 am
We are currently the 4 seed since we have the tie breaker over LT.  The 3 seed is still attainable but we have to sweep and ODU has to beat FAU in the next 2.  The lowest seed we can get is a 7.

We didn't get much help yesterday aside from LT losing at MTSU, and USM beating UTSA.  Rice is still climbing and I doubt they lose again.  We need to sweep to stay 1 game in front of them. Otherwise, we could fall into a tie for 4th and end up with a 6 seed.

I think our worst case scenario is having to play Rice in the 4/5 seed game, and then probably having to play Southern Miss if we win the first game.  I'd rather have the 3 or even the 6 seed as long as we do not have to play Rice in the first round. 

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #571 on: May 19, 2017, 02:54:22 pm
Niners win game 2 to take the series from Marshall, eliminating them from the Tourney.

We can still finish as high as a 3 seed or as low as a 6.

We threw Brooks, our 3rd starter, in relief today, so I'm not sure who will go tomorrow for us.  Probably treat it like a mid-week game and several guys will go on a limited pitch count. 

Tyro Niner

• Walk On
Reply #572 on: May 19, 2017, 03:28:30 pm
Four HR's today too! Two by Sherer and one each from Jarrett and Mims.

Now, if we could just get Netzer back on track....

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #573 on: May 19, 2017, 03:30:30 pm

I think our worst case scenario is having to play Rice in the 4/5 seed game, and then probably having to play Southern Miss if we win the first game.  I'd rather have the 3 or even the 6 seed as long as we do not have to play Rice in the first round.
Unless ODU wins the last 2 against FAU, we are likely to face Rice. There is probably no scenario that gives us a decent shot at winning the tournament. Gotta hope for some major luck like the opponents hitting lots of at 'ems and us hitting lots of bloopers that fall in.

Tyro Niner

• Walk On
Reply #574 on: May 19, 2017, 03:40:39 pm
Looking at it another way, we are DUE to beat Rice (at least once).

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos