Author Topic: 2017 Baseball Thread  (Read 81079 times)

Tyro Niner

• Walk On
Reply #475 on: April 19, 2017, 03:58:24 pm

Response from Mike Persinger when I asked him about the lack of coverage for our baseball team:

"Non-revenue sports are a tough deal for all schools -- we don't do a college baseball roundup at all anymore -- because they have to be produced by my reporting staff. All the editing of national content takes place in a centralized hub that produces 11 newspapers each night, They can't customize the briefs for each of those papers because they aren't staffed that way, so that's out.

That leaves me assigning a reporter to the game or hiring a freelancer, and because that content gets next to no online traffic it ends up being a net revenue loss -- $100 or more in, $10 out on average. It's difficult to make that business model work.

Great win for the Niners, to be sure. And maybe Winston-Salem's web traffic comes in places mine doesn't. But knowing what our numbers show, college baseball doesn't have a big enough audience here for a regular-season game to make coverage practical.

Thanks for reading.

Mike"

The bottom line is that the Winston paper gives major coverage to their hometown teams and the O views us as just another team in the region.  It's that simple.  I noticed the O had no trouble covering their cheating ass tarholes when they came to town.

I guess some newspapers don't care about local coverage or news anymore unless it can generate a revenue stream. The Journal covers each WF baseball game and 9 days out of 10 has an article on App State. If we got a little press it would certainly help generate some interest from the average, local fan. (I know, beating a dead horse).

cltniners

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #477 on: April 19, 2017, 04:43:32 pm
This was Wake's first mid-week loss of the entire season.  Here is a good write-up about our win in the Winston-Salem paper.  I'm not even looking at the O.  I know what they will have. 

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/charlotte-hands-wake-forest-rare-midweek-loss/article_57c0acf5-b30e-5ccb-a705-d9718a101920.html

Yeah the o had 0. Anyway, had to smile when I saw thay referred to us as "Charlotte" when some time ago they resisted and put the unc- on us and sneered when we asked them not to.
6-1. Nice.

clt says the observer is still covering good ol roy and dem heels.

Yeah but not enough

Oops! Spoke too soon. Got this in my "afternoon update" edition. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article145527279.html#emlnl=Afternoon_Newsletter
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

49erAlumnus

• Senior
Reply #478 on: April 19, 2017, 09:01:31 pm
The Observer is still in business? Who knew?

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #479 on: April 21, 2017, 09:19:09 am
Big series this weekend against Middle TN.  We are currently in 4th place in CUSA and MTSU is in a 3 way tie for 6th.  Game times are Friday at 6, Saturday at 2, and Sunday at 1.

According to their local newspaper, MTSU had won 5 games in a row after sweeping UAB last weekend.  Here is a link: 

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/mtsu-baseball-completes-sweep-of-uab-cms-46646

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #480 on: April 21, 2017, 09:25:24 am
Big series this weekend against Middle TN.  We are currently in 4th place in CUSA and MTSU is in a 3 way tie for 6th.  Game times are Friday at 6, Saturday at 2, and Sunday at 1.

According to their local newspaper, MTSU had won 5 games in a row after sweeping UAB last weekend.  Here is a link: 

http://www.murfreesboropost.com/mtsu-baseball-completes-sweep-of-uab-cms-46646

They have moved the Sunday game to a double header on Saturday starting at 2:00.

stonecoldken

• Chancellor
Reply #481 on: April 21, 2017, 03:34:49 pm
Does the Spring FB tix get you in free?
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #482 on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:38 pm
Niners win first game against MT 10-2. 

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #483 on: April 22, 2017, 09:40:41 pm
Niners get the sweep. Now in sole possession of 2nd place.

Hopefully we finish out strong and remove any doubt about post season chances.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:53:32 pm by Niner National »

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #484 on: April 22, 2017, 09:52:04 pm
Damn you UTEP

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #485 on: April 22, 2017, 09:54:08 pm
Damn you UTEP
fixed. Phone autocorrected to miners.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #486 on: April 22, 2017, 10:52:35 pm
Big time Sweep for the Niners tonight. Currently sitting in 2nd place.

Unfortunately, Flanagan left the game with an arm injury tonight. It didn't look good, and we'll have to wait to see how long he'll be out.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #487 on: April 23, 2017, 09:30:04 am

Unfortunately, Flanagan left the game with an arm injury tonight. It didn't look good, and we'll have to wait to see how long he'll be out.
Big sweep! I talked with someone in the media relations dept. after the game. Apparently he was sent to the hospital, but on the way there he said he was fine and wanted to go back to the game. So they did. No clue what the injury is or how severe though.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #488 on: April 23, 2017, 05:31:51 pm

Big sweep! I talked with someone in the media relations dept. after the game. Apparently he was sent to the hospital, but on the way there he said he was fine and wanted to go back to the game. So they did. No clue what the injury is or how severe though.

ODU and FAU both won today, so we are now in a 3 way tie with them for 2nd.  They both win the tiebreaker against us.

I'm surprised no has mentioned the celebrity visitor that showed during the first game and stayed for at least 1 or 2 outs before leaving.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:10:10 pm by 49r9r »

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #489 on: April 23, 2017, 06:07:39 pm

Whatever it was, it looked worse than just a sore arm.

I'm surprised no has mentioned the celebrity visitor that showed during the first game and stayed for at least 1 or 2 outs before leaving.

Why didn't you? Was it metro?

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #490 on: April 23, 2017, 06:15:55 pm

wasn't there but I'm sure he's talking about Judy.  I doubt metro would drive up from SC just to watch a couple innings.

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #491 on: April 23, 2017, 10:08:23 pm

wasn't there but I'm sure he's talking about Judy.  I doubt metro would drive up from SC just to watch a couple innings.

haha! Shoulda put out my sarcasm sign. ~

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #492 on: April 24, 2017, 07:49:49 am

I stated "1 or 2 OUTS", not 1 or 2 innings.  I'll stop right there. 

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #493 on: April 24, 2017, 10:47:24 am
RPI is at 48 after a 4-0 week. 

Sitting 1 game out of 1st in a tie with ODU and FAU for second.  Unfortunately they both hold the tie-breakers over us. They still have to play each other, so hopefulyl we can gain ground on 1 of them.  FAU also has to play USM still.  Here are the remaining conference schedules for the top 5 with 4 weeks left:

USM  13-5  (@MTSU, FAU, UAB, @UTSA)
FAU  12-6  (FIU, @USM, @WKU, ODU)
ODU 12-6  (Marshall, @UAB, FIU, @FAU)
Charlotte  12-6  (@UAB, Rice, UTSA, @Marshall)
FIU  10-8  (@FAU, LaTech, Marshall, WKU)

@DougRipleyODU

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:49:46 am by Mr. Bojangles »

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #494 on: April 24, 2017, 01:08:24 pm
Nichting named C-USA Hitter of the Week

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/news/2017/4/24/baseball-nichting-wins-second-hitter-of-the-week-award-in-2017.aspx

12th highest batting average in the country at .401, Highest in C-USA.
Tied for most hits in the country with 69.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #495 on: April 25, 2017, 02:38:01 pm
Mid-week game against Kennesaw State at home today. 

Interested to see who we throw today and who will step in to Flanagan's spot on the weekends.  His injury makes our pitching even thinner.  I'm thinking either Colby Bruce or Matt Brooks steps in as the Sunday starter.  The other I'm guessing will start today. 

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #496 on: April 25, 2017, 02:50:53 pm
Our schedule lists Western Carolina as "postponed".  Will we reschedule and play that game, or is that code for "never going to happen"?  With a 101 RPI they are better than three of our final four conference foes, so it seems like a win would be good for us.  What do you baseball gurus think?
#unc-CHeatingPays

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #497 on: April 25, 2017, 03:06:55 pm
Our schedule lists Western Carolina as "postponed".  Will we reschedule and play that game, or is that code for "never going to happen"?  With a 101 RPI they are better than three of our final four conference foes, so it seems like a win would be good for us.  What do you baseball gurus think?

Looks like we both have May 2 and May 9 available.  I know coaches usually try to avoid playing during exam week so the 9th is probably out for our exams.  I'm not sure what WCU's exam schedule is.

Personally, I'd like to play the game.  At the risk of losing and dropping in RPI, we still need to get guys experience on the mound in preparation for the Conference tourney.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #498 on: April 25, 2017, 04:46:08 pm

Interested to see who we throw today and who will step in to Flanagan's spot on the weekends. 

Have you heard what happened to Flanagan that forced him to abruptly leave the game on Saturday?

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #499 on: April 25, 2017, 04:53:11 pm

Interested to see who we throw today and who will step in to Flanagan's spot on the weekends. 

Have you heard what happened to Flanagan that forced him to abruptly leave the game on Saturday?

Nothing official, but I think it was an arm injury.  He sat out last year after having Tommy John surgery I believe.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos