Author Topic: DeVarte Watson - 2017 F JUCO - Released from LOI  (Read 9984 times)

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 04:25:09 pm
If attendance sucks and we either lose or struggle to beat a 200 RPI team there could be complaints.

Anyways, back on topic, hope he succeeds here and can dominate the paint.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:36:19 pm by cibik02 »

73niner

• Walk On
Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 02:20:35 am
     Attention all big men being recruited by Charlotte.  What better potential situation exist that offers an elite point guard (soph future NBAer ) with assorted complimentary pieces with the exception of a serviceable big man. Jumping at offers that guarantee you nothing, we offer immediate playing time with NBA VIP's near by. A coach with NBA connections in a city that takes no back seat in opportunities awaiting graduates, it should be a no brainer. What are these kids thinking?                                                                                                                                             
     There is no greater athletic pleasure than being an underdog and beating up on the established elite.  I ask "does every recruit for Carolina and Duke play in the NBA" Of course not.  You may be good enough to develop into a prospect but will you get the court time, experience, or dedicated coaching to develop. Maybe , but I'll bet there are many former players that never got the chance after swallowing the lies recruiters spout.  You're just a number at a position that may well be recruited over. Go ahead, enter your soph season after riding the bench and find out that 2 blue chippers at your position just signed.  There are no loyalties in the big business of upper echelon elite programs. You transfer, sit out a year, then try to fit in somewhere competing with 4 year guys who may feel resentful.  I think it's too much drama filled with pot holes of nothing but potential failure.
     Falling on deaf ears, I appreciate a forum where one can vent.  If only it makes sense to one recruit it was worth it.

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #27 on: January 07, 2017, 10:53:46 am
Our only pickup so far for next season, so if we're looking forward to better times, I don't think this guy offers much encouragement beyond his length.

Halfway through this season, he plays less than half a game, averages less than 8pts and shoot 35% from the free throw line.  This is for a community college, so we can't exactly expect much from the guy. 

TheShowDawg

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #28 on: January 07, 2017, 11:17:21 am
Quote from: dmastinsc link=topic=34545.msg679483#msg679483  This is for a community college, so we can't exactly expect much from the guy.
[/quote

That is no ordinary community college my friend. That is CAPE FEAR COMMUNITY COLLEGE aka Home of the Future Niners!!!! That is a direct pipeline to future relevance and status in the sporting world known as NCAA basketball.  Now some of you might say it is no Wabash Valley Community College home of the dump truck himself but just wait after 5 years of draining their talent it could be hugeeee!!!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:28:21 am by TheShowDawg »
In the Time of the Chimpanzee, I Was a Monkey....

49erAlumnus: It's been so long since we've been hated by anyone but...us.

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #29 on: January 07, 2017, 11:34:55 am
Our only pickup so far for next season, so if we're looking forward to better times, I don't think this guy offers much encouragement beyond his length.

Halfway through this season, he plays less than half a game, averages less than 8pts and shoot 35% from the free throw line.  This is for a community college, so we can't exactly expect much from the guy.

Typically CC's try to play 9-12 guys to give equal exposure and not many get high minutes. 
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 09:26:31 am

Typically CC's try to play 9-12 guys to give equal exposure and not many get high minutes.

Fair enough, but he's getting the 6th most minutes and scoring the 7th most points.  I think it's a fair point that our only pick up so far for next season isn't someone we can expect will change much.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #31 on: August 02, 2017, 01:55:15 pm
DeVarte has been released from his LOI.

ImfromClayton

• MemberPF
  • Sophomore
Reply #32 on: August 02, 2017, 02:01:48 pm
What do we do?  Can we poach a D2 program or something?  We need another big man in the worst way. 
#bus1

ghostofclt

• Freshman
Reply #33 on: August 02, 2017, 02:05:22 pm
clt bets he ends up at wku

Submarley734

• Senior
Reply #34 on: August 02, 2017, 02:08:15 pm
DeVarte has been released from his LOI.

Anybody know why?

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Mahna Mahna

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #36 on: August 02, 2017, 02:14:48 pm
This throws some cold water on my excitement for the upcoming season.

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #37 on: August 02, 2017, 03:10:23 pm
This throws some cold water on my excitement for the upcoming season.

Hopefully Price's season success isn't relying on a cape fear juco. He needs to produce good results or be gone. 

dmastinsc

• Freshman
Reply #38 on: August 02, 2017, 05:41:50 pm
Was going to be some much needed size, if not a contributor on the offensive end.  Damnit.

Iron9er

• Senior Captain
Reply #39 on: August 02, 2017, 08:57:51 pm
Not good.  Leaves a hole at backup center.  Not that he was going to star or anything...but we needed his fouls at least.

It is disappointing that in the early signing period last year we came up with a big old goose egg as far as recruiting with him not attending.  In fact, the previous year, the only early signing we had is QJ who averaged 5.5 PPG for us one season before transferring out. 

I'm glad we've got a 'commit' early this year at least, but if you want a recipe for failure as a basketball team, the above paragraph is it.  I can't say that's the worst early recruiting results in the nation, cause I don't know.  But, I know it can't be far off. 
"Congrats. You guys beat our ass last night and it was a pretty pathetic performance on the glass and downlow." - StillJonesing - December 2, 2012.

ghostofclt

• Freshman
Reply #40 on: August 02, 2017, 09:35:13 pm
clt says this is what happens when you have a clean program.

UNC CHeat would have him enrolled.

clt prefers what we do.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #41 on: August 02, 2017, 09:42:42 pm
^^^^^^ 
yes!
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #42 on: August 02, 2017, 09:59:41 pm
Quick post on DeVarte and the situation: https://agent49.net/devarte-watson-release/

Colorado49er

• Freshman
Reply #43 on: August 03, 2017, 12:41:12 am
Unless a last minute fifth year senior is signed, Watson's departure may mean Bryant Thomas gets more minutes as a freshman than originally anticipated.  Thomas is raw but he can rebound and block shots. 

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #44 on: August 03, 2017, 07:00:57 am
Do we have another Aube we can waste this scholarship on?

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #45 on: August 03, 2017, 08:36:32 am
Former target Craig LeCesne transferring out at  Pepperdine, anyone know if he;s still looking for a job ?

ghostofclt

• Freshman
Reply #46 on: August 03, 2017, 10:05:03 am
clt says we should go after the wku mcd aaa

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #47 on: August 03, 2017, 03:43:31 pm
Man no exceptions or summer schools or anything for 1 D?

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #48 on: August 03, 2017, 04:23:24 pm
Man no exceptions or summer schools or anything for 1 D?

We are a state university not an Ivy League school. We can't give a kid a chance for redemption? We hold our athletes to a much higher standard than the students in the general student population.

Run49er

• Chancellor
Reply #49 on: August 03, 2017, 08:02:15 pm
clt says we should go after the wku mcd aaa
FWIW, the one restriction Stansbury placed upon Robinson's release is that he can't transfer to another C-USA school. Of course, the chance of that happening is zero and none!.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos