Author Topic: Davidson Debacle  (Read 8335 times)

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 10:52:28 am
I will always love my Niners, but were so bad it's indefensible anymore.  If you're not good at a major sport, you are irrelevant in the college sports world.  Unfortunately that is what we are.

I agree with this. If you are bad in football and basketball then that is what matters. We aren't just bad, we are atrocious at both. We sacrificed basketball for football (cusa) and we are awful in football.

No we sacrificed basketball by not having football during our first CUSA run.  An AD with no vision put us in a conference we didn't belong in and started our downward spiral.  Coming back into CUSA 3.0 just shows how bad it has become. 
Mahna Mahna

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 10:56:30 am
They canceled our series a few years back. What do we get out of playing them now? They don't bring a lot of fans to Halton. The rivalry doesn't drive a lot of buzz in the region either.

This was a bad weekend for the game.  It does typically generate some buzz and Halton and Belk have been good environments during the game.  Sadly what is holding the series down now is our 0-4 record last 4 years.
Mahna Mahna

N1NER

• Junior
Reply #27 on: November 27, 2016, 01:57:20 pm
Price now 0-2 losing by a combined 57 points to Davidson.

eason49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
    • http://blog.eeg3.net
Reply #28 on: November 27, 2016, 02:53:59 pm
This was the first Niner basketball game I've been to in 2 years, I believe.

I won't say I know the intricacies of this roster, or if people were just having a bad day or what. However, based on watching this game, I would have to say this is the least talented roster we've ever had since I started watching in 2005.

Davis looks really good, and had a ton of passion and energy. He never quit the entire game, no matter what happened.

The #15 kid had a lot of passion and energy, but he is just not good. He missed at least a half dozen shots from 5 feet, and he's too small physically.

Braxton may be the biggest transfer bust in recent history? He literally shot 8% most of the game, and started off 0-10 I think; I believe he ended up at 12% or so? He was highly recruited by an elite Florida team, which I'm not sure how.

The rest of the roster is a bunch of untalented or undersized JAGs. Didn't really see much passion from anyone other than Davis or #15 (VanHook?). I suppose it's hard to stay passionate down 30, but if you're not skilled or physically talented then I at least expect you to not quit.

The offensive movement was awful. The majority of the first half was everyone off-ball doing the Mannequin Challenge while someone drove vs 3 guys to miss a 10 foot jumper off-balance. I have no idea what the plan was offensively. Contrast that with Davidson's ball movement and it was painful to see. I can excuse Price for having no talent to work with, but not sure how to excuse folks standing around.

Defense was painful, but they were undersized and less athletic than Davidson (wow, who would have that we'd ever say that).

I hope Price can recruit or some of these younger kids develop. Didn't look like Judy Rose even came to our Cross-town Rivalry "Hornets Nest Trophy" game. I hope she feels shame for what she's done to the basketball program.
(08:05:12) hootie: nobody can coach a 4 guard lineup when the 4 guards can't shoot

Ninercentral

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #29 on: November 27, 2016, 02:56:36 pm

I won't say I know the intricacies of this roster, or if people were just having a bad day or what. However, based on watching this game, I would have to say this is the least talented roster we've ever had since I started watching in 2005.

Davis looks really good, and had a ton of passion and energy. He never quit the entire game, no matter what happened.

The #15 kid had a lot of passion and energy, but he is just not good. He missed at least a half dozen shots from 5 feet, and he's too small physically.

Braxton may be the biggest transfer bust in recent history? He literally shot 8% most of the game, and started off 0-10 I think; I believe he ended up at 12% or so? He was highly recruited by an elite Florida team, which I'm not sure how.

The rest of the roster is a bunch of untalented or undersized JAGs. Didn't really see much passion from anyone other than Davis or #15 (VanHook?). I suppose it's hard to stay passionate down 30, but if you're not skilled or physically talented then I at least expect you to not quit.

The offensive movement was awful. The majority of the first half was everyone off-ball doing the Mannequin Challenge while someone drove vs 3 guys to miss a 10 foot jumper off-balance. I have no idea what the plan was offensively. Contrast that with Davidson's ball movement and it was painful to see. I can excuse Price for having no talent to work with, but not sure how to excuse folks standing around.

Defense was painful, but they were undersized and less athletic than Davidson (wow, who would have that we'd ever say that).

I hope Price can recruit or some of these younger kids develop. Didn't look like Judy Rose even came to our Cross-town Rivalry "Hornets Nest Trophy" game. I hope she feels shame for what she's done to the basketball program.

I can pretty much guarantee she feels no shame.

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 03:04:22 pm

i agree that yesterday was a disaster but i have to disagree with you about a few things: our team has a lot of problems, lack of talent is not one. we have a very talented foursome in the backcourt in davis, obogozue, white, and jackson. i also believe that garvin is talented with a lot of upside. we have a major hole and that is in the frontcourt. we simply don't have a legit big right now. washington and garvin and van hook(who i think is good but playing out of position) are all solid or better but are playing out of position. davidson didnt beat us because they are more athletic(lack of athletes is not our problem). they beat us because they have a well rounded roster and we dont and for whatever reason, our defense is bad and offensive flow is not there. what confuses me is that we have all seen this team look wonderful moving the ball on offense, and find good shots, but right now, they seem to be reverting. that is what worries me. i dont understand the poor defense. i hope price figures it out. i dont agree the obogozue is a bust. is he a stud? not always but he is just hot and cold. i thought he fixed his consistency issues but i guess he hasent. he also has plenty of great games so i think calling him a huge transfer bust is unfair. just my opinion.

emf

• Senior
Reply #31 on: November 27, 2016, 04:32:19 pm
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 04:59:25 pm by emf »

MEGRNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #32 on: November 27, 2016, 08:47:00 pm
We had no answer for them doubling the shooter on the high screens. Davidson took away our outside shooting in the half court game by doing that, and we were unable to drive and finish or establish any game in the post.

I am very afraid for Monday, as bad as today was if we dont play significantly better we could lose that game.

On the bright side, kudos to everyone who set up the Brickouse Tavern 49er rendezvous. It was a lot of fun kicking a few back with some Niner fans  and meeting some of y'all. Hopefully one day the in-game fun will match the pre-game.

It was nice meeting you before the game shorty.........jk. Perhaps we can meet up again in Winston Salem.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #33 on: November 27, 2016, 09:33:12 pm

I can pretty much guarantee she feels no shame.
I no longer feel shame either. I guess I just enjoy watching a dumpster burn in my spare time.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 10:25:26 pm
........ Didn't look like Judy Rose even came to our Cross-town Rivalry "Hornets Nest Trophy" game. I hope she feels shame for what she's done to the basketball program.

Shhhhh........ She was in a top secret meeting pulling all the strings to get us an invite to the SEC. Or perhaps she was with another Niner team that was out of town, either at the football game in San Antonio or with the WBB team in whatever tournament they were in.

If she was at the football game or at a secret meeting trying to get us in the SEC, I'll give her a pass. 

Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

NY NINER

• Walk On
Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 11:51:50 pm
We all know that we are a guard based team, but one problem in the game was that every time Washington or Vanhook would get the ball at the foul line, not once did they turn around to make a jump shot/dribble to the basket to try and get a lay up or foul.  Teams notice this and won't care because there is 0 production.

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #36 on: November 28, 2016, 08:00:57 am
I will always love my Niners, but were so bad it's indefensible anymore.  If you're not good at a major sport, you are irrelevant in the college sports world.  Unfortunately that is what we are.

I agree with this. If you are bad in football and basketball then that is what matters. We aren't just bad, we are atrocious at both. We sacrificed basketball for football (cusa) and we are awful in football.

No we sacrificed basketball by not having football during our first CUSA run.  An AD with no vision put us in a conference we didn't belong in and started our downward spiral.  Coming back into CUSA 3.0 just shows how bad it has become.

You can be right and wrong at the same time. We sacrificed basketball twice. I'm not saying the second time was worth it or wasn't worth it, but new CUSA is still a huge step down from the A 10.

i agree that yesterday was a disaster but i have to disagree with you about a few things: our team has a lot of problems, lack of talent is not one. we have a very talented foursome in the backcourt in davis, obogozue, white, and jackson. i also believe that garvin is talented with a lot of upside. we have a major hole and that is in the frontcourt. we simply don't have a legit big right now. washington and garvin and van hook(who i think is good but playing out of position) are all solid or better but are playing out of position. davidson didnt beat us because they are more athletic(lack of athletes is not our problem). they beat us because they have a well rounded roster and we dont and for whatever reason, our defense is bad and offensive flow is not there. what confuses me is that we have all seen this team look wonderful moving the ball on offense, and find good shots, but right now, they seem to be reverting. that is what worries me. i dont understand the poor defense. i hope price figures it out. i dont agree the obogozue is a bust. is he a stud? not always but he is just hot and cold. i thought he fixed his consistency issues but i guess he hasent. he also has plenty of great games so i think calling him a huge transfer bust is unfair. just my opinion.

And then I have to quote this.

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #37 on: November 28, 2016, 08:28:29 am
We made 27.5% of our 2-point shot attempts on Saturday and Benas played zero minutes. He can't be that bad that you don't even want him on the floor when you can't make a lay-up to save your life.   

Price has ruined all of his good will with me. He has to prove he can do this job from this point forward.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #38 on: November 28, 2016, 09:07:35 am

Basketball wasn't sacrificed for anything.  It was destroyed by Judy Rose.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #39 on: November 28, 2016, 02:15:11 pm

Basketball wasn't sacrificed for anything.  It was destroyed by Judy Rose.

Hey now.  We are still getting new white banners in Halton. 
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #40 on: November 28, 2016, 04:44:26 pm
We looked intimidated and it was reflected in our piss-poor shooting. Lack of confidence. Very sad. We used to flat our relish going into places like d'son and punching them in the mouth (so to speak) from the get go. Now we slink in like a bunch of JVs expecting to get beat and we do. Our shooters could/should do better, but they get the inferior complex yips and the crap fest for us begins.

Did enjoy Price's T. It was timely and appropriate. Made no difference in the overall outcome, but was needed at that point. Don't want to see him turn into Bobby L on the bench as far as Ts, but Ts are appropriate at the RIGHT time.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 09:52:35 pm
This loss looks worse and worse. d'son lost at la salle tonight 91-83 to go 9-8 overall 2-4 in A10.  >:(   

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 10:34:18 pm
This loss looks worse and worse. d'son lost at la salle tonight 91-83 to go 9-8 overall 2-4 in A10.  >:(

We aren't going to the NCAAs this year, so the quality of our game against them does not matter.  I can easily take pleasure in their downfall.  I hope they do not win another game.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 12:30:13 am

We aren't going to the NCAAs this year, so the quality of our game against them does not matter.  I can easily take pleasure in their downfall.  I hope they do not win another game.

It matters to me.  They have outclassed us multiple years in multiple buildings. 
Mahna Mahna

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 08:21:01 am
Would this be a bad time to point out that McKillop is not the All Star his fans see him as?

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 10:07:30 am

You're right but that was not my point. My point was merely "we really suck ". Period. Meanwhile uncw is tearing up the caa.

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #46 on: January 20, 2017, 10:29:51 am
Ha! If Davidson were undefeated and #1 in the nation, there would still be plenty of evidence that we are struggling.

Normmm

• MemberPF
  • Head Coach
Reply #47 on: January 20, 2017, 03:22:18 pm
Would this be a bad time to point out that McKillop is not the All Star his fans see him as?
I'd wait until at least the season is over.  I'm not one of the ones that thinks he's a bball genius.  But they started off slow a couple of seasons, before winning 9 straight and the regular season title.

I will add that the Chris Mooney promoters have seem to go away though.  Since the 2010-11 season, when they made the Sweet 16, he's been 42-42 in conference. 

I think Normmm was probably right all along, we'll be really good next year.

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #48 on: January 20, 2017, 03:30:19 pm
Kind of an aside, but I cannot see Keatts at UNCW after this year. Someone is gonna scoop him up.

Might have been a good hire here, back when UNCW got him.
Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

https://i.imgur.com/74Mcl1t.jpg

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos