Author Topic: ODU @ Charlotte Post Game  (Read 7756 times)

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
on: January 21, 2017, 10:38:46 pm
WHAT A GAME! Davis was one off of the all time Halton Arena record(for a Niner) which is held by Goldwire at 36. What a way to respond after Vanhook and Adrian got ejected. Proud of this team!
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 10:41:11 pm
Only 4 turnovers for the game. Wonder when is the last time we had 4 or less in a game. Almost would seem like maybe never.

ODU is our best win and we are their worst loss.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:49:20 pm by cibik02 »

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 10:43:23 pm
Here are some stats: Niners won despite getting out rebounded 43-26 and only shooting 25% from 3. ODU had 14 turnovers, Charlotte only had 4.
Also this time last year the Niners were starting to get it going but were 5-13 through 18 games, now 9-9.
Best record through 18 games since 2013-14 season when we were 12-6.

charlottewkndbuzz

• Walk On
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 10:49:32 pm
1. Davis, man what a baller.
2. Crowd sounded and looked pretty good on TV.
3. I actually missed what happened with the ejections. Was flipped on the Hornets game for a minute lol. What exactly happened?

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 10:51:06 pm
Only 4 turnovers for the game. Wonder when is the last time we had 4 or less in a game. Almost would seem like maybe never.

They were two point favorites.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 10:51:51 pm
3. I actually missed what happened with the ejections. Was flipped on the Hornets game for a minute lol. What exactly happened?
ESPN says 5,500 there, I would agree with that figure it was loud as well.
There was a scrum for a loose ball and I think Vanhook threw a punch, ODU player threw one back then Adrian got tossed but never saw what he did.
I think an ODU jumped on the pile and actually started it but that person never gets caught. I hope someone has it on video.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 10:52:10 pm
We showed a lot of fight tonight.

On the serious, that was a fun game and nice win. It's nice to get one against those punks.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 10:52:34 pm
Some pushing and Vanhook swinging at thin air.

cltniners

Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 10:54:14 pm
clt says van hook hit rousey.

elrodvt

• Walk On
Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 11:07:19 pm
It's not often you see guys throwing wind up punches like that.
I would think 00 on ODU and whoever was throwing the big punches for CLT will be suspended at least a game.
I was at the game and didn't see a replay but I've noticed White has way to short a fuse so I suspect he was the one punching with 00 at the end?
Could not see Van Hook at all as he was under the pile from our vantage point.

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 11:07:56 pm
way to show they can win the close ones
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 11:13:01 pm
Van Hook threw at least one punch.  I had a clear view and would expect at least a one game suspension.  I think both he and White play on the edge and went over it tonight. 

We won with two players having good games.  Jackson and BO were awful, but BO played hard and helped all over the floor.  He seems like a great teammate.  We need a few players for next year to fill out the roster.  We need another guard since we lose BO and at least two guys inside.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 11:15:57 pm
I can't believe we won that game.  ESPN shows that we played nine players and everyone scored except Ogbueze and Jackson.  It is really, really hard to win a game with no points from your shooting guards.  Thank goodness Jon Davis put the team on his shoulders and carried them across the finish line.  (ESPN missed Bergang, but his .2 seconds were not stat worthy.)

How many technicals does Vanhook have so far this year?  More than Griciunas has points?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 11:18:19 pm by Nugget »
#unc-CHeatingPays

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 11:16:21 pm
Van Hook threw at least one punch.  I had a clear view and would expect at least a one game suspension.  I think both he and White play on the edge and went over it tonight. 

We won with two players having good games.  Jackson and BO were awful, but BO played hard and helped all over the floor.  He seems like a great teammate.  We need a few players for next year to fill out the roster.  We need another guard since we lose BO and at least two guys inside.
The one commit we have is from Cape Fear CC and he is 6'7" so assume that'll help on inside. Also I agree, BO had a terrible game shooting, but helped out in other ways. Nice to see he doesn't have an ego about things, just wants to win. At least that what it seemed like today.
Also Ajukwa with 17pts, quite a performance by him!
Interesting note: Benas never saw the court and Bergang got in with .2 left to try and block the heave in.

cltniners

Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 11:18:51 pm
clt says free benas

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #15 on: January 21, 2017, 11:22:42 pm
Here are some stats: Niners won despite getting out rebounded 43-26 and only shooting 25% from 3. ODU had 14 turnovers, Charlotte only had 4.
Also this time last year the Niners were starting to get it going but were 5-13 through 18 games, now 9-9.

Also our FT shooting helped HUGE in winning this game. Loved the fight the team had after the "fight". It motivated us to try even harder. Price scored only 2 points but they were HUGE on that lane drive to the left side of the hoop. LOVED IT!!
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 11:25:43 pm

Also our FT shooting helped HUGE in winning this game. Loved the fight the team had after the "fight". It motivated us to try even harder. Price scored only 2 points but they were HUGE on that lane drive to the left side of the hoop. LOVED IT!!
That fight lit a spark. Without it I honestly don't know if we win. I agree, Price's two points were HUGE. Love that we finally beat those punks!

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #17 on: January 21, 2017, 11:28:11 pm

You are correct. Are you disagreeing with me or just adding information?

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #18 on: January 21, 2017, 11:39:19 pm

I thought the refs were better than the usual trash we get.
Najee acted pretty grown up tonight.
Kudos to Jeff Jones for sticking to that Weight Watchers' diet over the off season.

s9er

• Head Coach
Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 08:58:02 am
That one felt good. I just don't like ODU..

Jon Davis is really freaking good..

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 09:34:28 am

I don't see how a two point spread is a good win or loss for either team.

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 09:43:25 am
Solid win, ODU is a better team than any other we've beaten this year. Davis is quite a player. I didn't get to see this one, but it sounded like the D was better, is that true?

Next game will be interesting if missing guys, wonder if that helps or hurts. More shots for Davis might be a good strategy.

Griciunas failing to get on the court when it sounds like they were hurting us inside and Vanhook was out is really disappointing.  He must be terrible in practice.

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #22 on: January 22, 2017, 10:10:12 am

I didn't say a good win or bad loss. I said our best win and their worst loss. Using projected rpi...

For us, Elon (#162) was our best win... ODU (#138) now is our best win.

For ODU, LSU (#152) was their worst loss... now we are (#230).

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 10:12:20 am by cibik02 »

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #24 on: January 22, 2017, 11:01:53 am

We are a poor rebounding team, and played most of the game without our two best rebounders.  We had three of our top six scorers not on the floor for most of the game.  We easily could have folded when our players were ejected but we stepped up and overcame the challenges.  While we still have many gaps and issues on this team, last night they pulled off a really good win.
#unc-CHeatingPays

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos