Author Topic: ODU @ Charlotte Post Game  (Read 8728 times)

FridayNiner

• Walk On
Reply #25 on: January 22, 2017, 11:30:45 am
I agree Nugget, I saw a real fire in the team last night, hope it keeps burning!

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 12:56:20 pm
Davis is a stud, and he is only a sophomore. If we can get some good inside pieces we should be able to win CUSA.

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #27 on: January 22, 2017, 01:40:30 pm
Davis is a stud, and he is only a sophomore. If we can get some good inside pieces we should be able to win CUSA.

Davis stats show he made a huge jump to his sophomore year and is far more efficient on offensive end. His points aren't coming from just being a bulk shooter which sometimes lowers shooting %. His fg%, 3pt% and FT% are all up. If he puts the work in, he should end up being one of the Niner all time greats and have a basketball career after he graduates. Hopefully others can make shots and get his assist numbers up.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jon-davis-1.html

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #28 on: January 22, 2017, 03:07:15 pm
Van Hook threw at least one punch.  I had a clear view and would expect at least a one game suspension.  I think both he and White play on the edge and went over it tonight. 

We won with two players having good games.  Jackson and BO were awful, but BO played hard and helped all over the floor.  He seems like a great teammate.  We need a few players for next year to fill out the roster.  We need another guard since we lose BO and at least two guys inside.
.  VH threw a punch with closed fist. He deserved the ejection. Baker threw a punch with an open hand, while AW only swatted at Baker's arm. Neither of those 2 should have been tossed if the reason was for "throwing a punch".
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 03:20:24 pm by 919R »

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #29 on: January 22, 2017, 04:53:42 pm

Davis stats show he made a huge jump to his sophomore year and is far more efficient on offensive end. His points aren't coming from just being a bulk shooter which sometimes lowers shooting %. His fg%, 3pt% and FT% are all up. If he puts the work in, he should end up being one of the Niner all time greats and have a basketball career after he graduates. Hopefully others can make shots and get his assist numbers up.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jon-davis-1.html

Dare I say it? Starting to remind me of Henry Williams.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 05:00:20 pm
Davis is easily the best player I've seen play at Charlotte. I hope we get some players to out around him. I'd hate to see him piss away his talent and not get a chance to play in the tournament.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 05:59:10 pm
Davis is easily the best player I've seen play at Charlotte. I hope we get some players to out around him. I'd hate to see him piss away his talent and not get a chance to play in the tournament.

You are a youngster, but even so he could become one of the greats.  We have had four players score more than 2000 points in their careers:  Henry Williams, Lew Massey, Chad Kinch, and DeMarco Johnson.  Davis is on pace to have a shot at joining that club, and it sure would help if he could play in some post-season games.
#unc-CHeatingPays

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #32 on: January 22, 2017, 06:23:51 pm

You are a youngster, but even so he could become one of the greats.  We have had four players score more than 2000 points in their careers:  Henry Williams, Lew Massey, Chad Kinch, and DeMarco Johnson.  Davis is on pace to have a shot at joining that club, and it sure would help if he could play in some post-season games.
sorta young. Been following program since 05. That's a decent sample size and he is far and away the best player I've seen wear a niner uniform. I guess that speaks to the quality of the program over that period of time.

chidave

• Junior
Reply #33 on: January 22, 2017, 06:48:33 pm

Wingate49erFan

• Sophomore
Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 07:47:10 pm
Glad we have Jon Davis. Hopefully this game sparks more wins.
Got Lutz?

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 09:07:00 pm
Outstanding game by Davis and Ajukwa pick up the slack in the second half. He was really good.

This team was focused and ready to play from the opening tap. You got to bring that every night.

I've have had enough of Vanhook. I'll be nice and leave it at that.

I can't understand why Benas did not play at all? Against the best team they have played (Maryland) He
played 27 minutes had 12pts and 5 rebs. Since that game he's average only 8 minutes a game.
That makes no sense. Yet last night Hudson plays 28 minutes and had 2pts & 2rbs. Coach Price
favors his son with too much playing time

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 09:08:22 pm
Glad we have Jon Davis. Hopefully this game sparks more wins.

And some quality bigs to come here. Then we'd be rockin'.

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #37 on: January 22, 2017, 09:14:10 pm
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c_jJh0BZ7P0&feature=youtu.be

JD's game winner.

I watched this 10 straight times. It was awesome. Think I'll watch it some more.  :p

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

charlottewkndbuzz

• Walk On
Reply #38 on: January 22, 2017, 09:33:31 pm

JD's game winner.

I watched this 10 straight times. It was awesome. Think I'll watch it some more.  :p

I really like the vantage point around the 13 second mark. Captures the full lower bowls reaction. Love seeing that. A very Kemba-esque shot. That's his sweet spot where he does the same little step back jumper too.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:37:55 pm by charlottewkndbuzz »

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #39 on: January 22, 2017, 09:52:22 pm
Outstanding game by Davis and Ajukwa pick up the slack in the second half. He was really good.

This team was focused and ready to play from the opening tap. You got to bring that every night.

I can't understand why Benas did not play at all? Against the best team they have played (Maryland) He
played 27 minutes had 12pts and 5 rebs. Since that game he's average only 8 minutes a game.
That makes no sense. Yet last night Hudson plays 28 minutes and had 2pts & 2rbs. Coach Price
I agree that Hudson can play too much at times, but last night with Hook and White ejected and QJ in constant foul trouble you needed guys on the floor that could play the 1-4 which Hudson fits and Benas does not.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #40 on: January 22, 2017, 09:54:16 pm

JD's game winner.

I really like the vantage point around the 13 second mark. Captures the full lower bowls reaction. Love seeing that. A very Kemba-esque shot. That's his sweet spot where he does the same little step back jumper too.

Yes I almost said the same thing earlier.

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #41 on: January 22, 2017, 09:56:28 pm

I agree that Hudson can play too much at times, but last night with Hook and White ejected and QJ in constant foul trouble you needed guys on the floor that could play the 1-4 which Hudson fits and Benas does not.

Maybe so, but Hudson made a critical, clutch drive and layup that was HUGE at that point in the game.

---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 08:02:43 am
Nice win!!  I kept thinking they were going to put us away, especially after the "fight," but we fought back and took it at the end.  Jon Davis is amazing!! 

Also nice to be able to watch the game from home on local TV.  I hate I missed out on the free pom-poms though.

Hooner49

• Senior Captain
  • #namechangenow
    • University Name Change Campaign
Reply #44 on: January 23, 2017, 08:18:13 am
Also this time last year the Niners were starting to get it going but were 5-13 through 18 games, now 9-9.
Best record through 18 games since 2013-14 season when we were 12-6.

That is a very sad stat.
(08:50:08) The_White_Samurai: 90% of farts that come from a diet such as Hooner's result in bleeding.

(10:25:26) NLP49: Dude, you're not Hooner. Only Hooner is.
(10:25:32) NLP49: And even he doesn't rub it in our faces.

(11:59:07) Charlotte2002: hooner's honesty is admirable

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #45 on: January 23, 2017, 10:01:58 am
Also this time last year the Niners were starting to get it going but were 5-13 through 18 games, now 9-9.
Best record through 18 games since 2013-14 season when we were 12-6.

That is a very sad stat.
That was one of the thoughts going through my mind when I looked it up.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #46 on: January 23, 2017, 01:53:43 pm
I think it is pretty clear that Hook is sitting on the bench for the next game.  White might have a hope that upon review it is determined that he didn't fight, but I suspect he will be keeping Hook company.

From the NCAA Men's Basketball Rules and Interpretation:

Art. 8. Anytime an individual uses a closed fist in an unsportsmanlike
manner, it shall be deemed that the individual has initiated a fighting act and
shall be penalized accordingly.

Art. 11. The first time an individual participates in a fight during the
season (including exhibition games), the individual shall be suspended from
participating in the team’s next regular-season game (not an exhibition
contest), including tournament competition.

Art. 17. After a game, conference offices or the assigning authority may correct
an error about who was involved in a fight but cannot change an official’s ruling
that a fight took place or lessen the severity of the penalty. The conference office
or assigning authority may make those penalties more severe.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/BR17.pdf
#unc-CHeatingPays

NLP

Reply #47 on: January 23, 2017, 02:11:16 pm
I'm rooting for Article 17 to save White. Watch the video and he never threw a punch and it's a serious stretch to deem his as a participant in the fight. Hook for sure is out against UNT. No doubt with him.

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #48 on: January 23, 2017, 05:20:14 pm
I'm rooting for Article 17 to save White. Watch the video and he never threw a punch and it's a serious stretch to deem his as a participant in the fight. Hook for sure is out against UNT. No doubt with him.
Hook should not make the trip to Texas regardless of what the NCAA says. Price should make that decision

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #49 on: January 23, 2017, 05:27:34 pm

Maybe so, but Hudson made a critical, clutch drive and layup that was HUGE at that point in the game.
But who's to say if Benis was playing that he could have got a few more rebounds that ODU put back for points or a rebound on the offensive end that could
lead to Niner basket. I believe he could play the 4 spot but Price wants him with his back to the basket. Either way I don't see why he is not playing. I don't get it

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos