Author Topic: 2017 NIT posteason tourney will experiment with resetting fouls and shot clock  (Read 1227 times)

Run49er

• Chancellor

Looks like a move by NCAA that will eventually lead to all men's basketball games being four quarter contests.

ESPN.com: NIT to experiment with resetting fouls every 10 minutes

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973

Looks like a move by NCAA that will eventually lead to all men's basketball games being four quarter contests.

I'm ok with 4 quarters, but these other "experiments" are the stuff that drives us old farts away from a sport we have loved.

"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018

I'm ok with 4 quarters, but these other "experiments" are the stuff that drives us old farts away from a sport we have loved.
It's driving some young people away too. Not many people I know like these "experiments" concerning the fouls and such. Stupid move I think, but I wonder if they'll actually go through it. Knowing the NCAA they probably will.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

Nugget

• Assistant Coach

It's driving some young people away too. Not many people I know like these "experiments" concerning the fouls and such. Stupid move I think, but I wonder if they'll actually go through it. Knowing the NCAA they probably will.

The good news is these changes will not affect us.   :P
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

49r9r

• Head Coach
So if a team is trailing late in the game and has committed less than 3 fouls in that quarter, they can alter the game clock by fouling as soon as the ball crosses mid-court, thus immediately resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds?

In that case would the team with the lead try holding the ball in the backcourt for 8 or 9 seconds?
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

NLP

• Administrator
  • Athletic Director
So if a team is trailing late in the game and has committed less than 3 fouls in that quarter, they can alter the game clock by fouling as soon as the ball crosses mid-court, thus immediately resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds?

In that case would the team with the lead try holding the ball in the backcourt for 8 or 9 seconds?

Good point. I think in those situations the shot clock would stay the same. It's only when it dips below 20 would it reset to 20. If not, then yeah teams would absolutely exploit that.
Powerbait: But I would kill to have that level of discipline here. I'd kill even more to have a S16
Charlotte2002: I would kill to have you killed

(09:42:56) NinerWupAss: NLP is the churck norris of biology - NLP doesnt contract AIDS - AIDS contracts NLP

stonecoldken

• Chancellor

Why have 4 quarters foul rules without 4 quarters?  Like paying alimony on an ex-wife you didn't bang.
CHP sold out.  I declare Nick McEntyre our Chancellor-In-Exile!

JFelt quote about CHP.  "Stake your claim.  As long as UNC-CH doesn't want it first."

Taylor Swift, Jewel, Katy Perry, SE Cupp, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, Jessica Alba, & Eva Mendes are my Baby Mama's.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach

Why have 4 quarters foul rules without 4 quarters?  Like paying alimony on an ex-wife you didn't bang.

I miss your wisdom when you don't post regularly
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973

I miss your wisdom when you don't post regularly

Yeah. Like Confucius.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

cltniners

clt says another bad scenario is paying for your ex wife to become a cat.

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018

The good news is these changes will not affect us.   :P
You are correct  :p
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

ZombieLew

• MemberPF
  • Senior Captain
  • State of Charlotte expat since 2012

Good point. I think in those situations the shot clock would stay the same. It's only when it dips below 20 would it reset to 20. If not, then yeah teams would absolutely exploit that.

Right. Resets to twenty if there are fewer than 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

Basically it prevents those awkward situations where you're trying to inbound the ball with five seconds on the shot clock.
DUCK FAVIDSON

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach

Right. Resets to twenty if there are fewer than 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

Basically it prevents those awkward situations where you're trying to inbound the ball with five seconds on the shot clock.
The shot clock will be reset to 20( or more ) when the defensive team fouls. It previously was reset to 30. If the ball goes out of bounds off the defense with 5 seconds on the shot clock, the offense will still have the same 5 seconds they had before the rule change.
At least, that's the way I read it.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos