Author Topic: clt starts wku postgame  (Read 2521 times)

cltniners

• Athletic Director
Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 02:59:43 pm
clt says beans is a nba prospect. you cannot teach size.

we are 1-0 without price jr.
clt's signature: The 49ers established Thursday that their role is what they say it is. Tom Sorensen, Friday, Nov. 14, 2008

elrodvt

• Walk On
Reply #26 on: February 24, 2017, 03:13:15 pm
clt says beans is a nba prospect. you cannot teach size.

LOL

elrodvt

• Walk On
Reply #27 on: February 24, 2017, 03:24:34 pm
lol at football setting basketball back. I'm sure extending lutz, hiring major, and extending major had nothing to do with that.

Also complaints about the AD stem from how the entire athletic department is run (poorly), which has been an issue long before Price even stepped foot on campus.

So going from A-10 to CUSA is not a setback? That's patently ridiculous.

I didn't say anything about Price being the cause of AD complaints. But I do see some folks saying he's on a short leash or whatever. Silly and unrealistic. I don't know anything about Major pre 2014 but he appeared to be turning around the talent pool (those were A10 recruits though!) however he was not able to turn that talent into wins. I was personally ambivalent about him leaving. Everyone knows when a coach leaves you are set back many years in recruiting. No win situation.

My point is that if you complain about the shape of the basketball program AND you supported moving to a bottom feeder basketball conference to get football you are not making a whole lot of sense.

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #28 on: February 24, 2017, 03:27:38 pm
As much as I  think Major was a poor coach, I can't help but wonder what life would be like with Izundu, Woods, Dorn, etc., this year.  Let me be clear, I don't mean those three with him at the helm.  I simply mean that I wonder what it would be like to have held on to all of them.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:29:12 pm by NewNiner »
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #29 on: February 24, 2017, 03:37:56 pm
I think with those three plus a few other parts that we would be top 20.

Ninerfan2012

• Freshman
Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 03:45:06 pm
lol at football setting basketball back. I'm sure extending lutz, hiring major, and extending major had nothing to do with that.

Also complaints about the AD stem from how the entire athletic department is run (poorly), which has been an issue long before Price even stepped foot on campus.

I didn't say anything about Price being the cause of AD complaints. But I do see some folks saying he's on a short leash or whatever. Silly and unrealistic. I don't know anything about Major pre 2014 but he appeared to be turning around the talent pool (those were A10 recruits though!) however he was not able to turn that talent into wins. I was personally ambivalent about him leaving. Everyone knows when a coach leaves you are set back many years in recruiting. No win situation.

My point is that if you complain about the shape of the basketball program AND you supported moving to a bottom feeder basketball conference to get football you are not making a whole lot of sense.

I don't remember us having any sort of success in the A-10, so lets not act like Charlotte was in prime shape.

For football I agree with you, coaches need 3 years to rebuild programs. Basketball though, that doesn't hold. You can point out a lot of coaches that make great strides at historical bad programs. Ryan Odom has UMBC (a program that hasn't broken the ten win barrier since 2008) at 18 wins as of this post. LeVelle Moton turned around a NCCU basketball program in three years from being a 5 win program to a competitive MEAC team. Kevin Keatts took a 10 win UNCW program to the NCAA tournament in two years. I could go on

Regarding Price, if the team looks the same way it does now (little to no improvement) by the end of year 3, I think you know what you're going to get with him. A meh coach.

The state of our basketball program isn't because of football, thats an excuse. Other teams in our conference (MTSU,UAB) are having success on a national stage. The state of our basketball program is because of our AD who has the inability to hire good coaches, fund-raise, market a program and engage the Charlotte community.

If we were winning and going to the NCAA tournament in the A-10, or if we were being successful in the CUSA but unable to break the NCAA tourney barrier, I could maybe see where you're coming from. But the slide of our program started long long before us moving to the C-USA. Saying things were okay until we moved into the C-USA 3.0 is just revising history.

919R

• Head Coach
Reply #31 on: February 24, 2017, 03:53:48 pm
This and if nothing else, MAYBE it keeps other teams for game planning SO MUCH to pound us inside since the lineup will show a 7-footer inside instead of a 6-5 guy.  :-[

I'm pretty sure they watch film and don't just look at #s. They could go to a smaller/quicker lineup that Benas would not be able to stop. Then again, I am not confident he'd be able to stop decently talented big men either, and they'd just keep pounding it inside.

IMHO this is a moot point. Starting either Benas or 6'5 whatever players at C is much less than ideal.

Duh----my point was though that regardless of how poor of a center he might be, his shear size could (on occasion) atleast make it not so obvious that the best strategy is to ALWAYS just punch it inside. There is a reason that centers tend to be taller than 6-5.

Mr. Bojangles

• Athletic Director
Reply #32 on: February 24, 2017, 04:02:21 pm

What if we complained about the shape of our basketball program before we started football?

The day we were kicked out of C-USA 1.0 because of no football, was the day our basketball program got its death sentence.  Lethal injection occurred sometime in the past few seasons.  Can't exactly pinpoint it.

Ben H

• Senior
Reply #33 on: February 24, 2017, 04:59:23 pm
The day we were kicked out of C-USA 1.0 because of no football, was the day our basketball program got its death sentence.  Lethal injection occurred sometime in the past few seasons.  Can't exactly pinpoint it.

The basketball program did not receive a death sentence... that's crazy talk amigo.

You also can't say, "because we had no success in the A 10 in 5 years we would be no better off in the A 10 than in CUSA 3.0."

I return to my metaphor - Would you rather raise your family in Grier Heights or in an average middle class neighborhood?

It's a moot point now...
Ben H

NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
Reply #34 on: February 24, 2017, 06:51:54 pm

The basketball program did not receive a death sentence... that's crazy talk amigo.

You also can't say, "because we had no success in the A 10 in 5 years we would be no better off in the A 10 than in CUSA 3.0."

I return to my metaphor - Would you rather raise your family in Grier Heights or in an average middle class neighborhood?

It's a moot point now...

The day we left CUSA 1.0 was the day our upper trajectory died.  Lack of vision cost us a shot at moving with the schools we should be with and set us back to the A10.  Lack of football has cost us dearly.  To go where we want to go football was a must.  To correct the sins of the past it means short term conference pain. 

With all of that said our current basketball disaster of a program has been 12 years in the making.  3 coaches, 2 conferences and millions of dollars.  We let one coach go into his final contract year, then we extended him, then we fired him, then we hired an assistant that was 3rd  on the OSU bench who couldnt manage a roster, couldnt lead a program and then we extended him, then let him go.  Then we wiffed with our initial coaches and let a booster basically hire our current coach, who had no college coaching experience.  Our program is in ruins and the conference isn't to blame.  We were in a middle class neighborhood, but it was at the end of the road, backed up against the crack house.   Now we are in a lower class neighborhood, but we are still at the end of the road backed up against a crack house.  Before we complain about the neighborhood we have to get the crack house shut down.
Mahna Mahna

cltniners

• Athletic Director
Reply #35 on: February 24, 2017, 07:11:17 pm
clt says we have the best house in the neighborhood.

Not a good situation.

Sad.
clt's signature: The 49ers established Thursday that their role is what they say it is. Tom Sorensen, Friday, Nov. 14, 2008

cibik02

• Assistant Coach
Reply #36 on: February 24, 2017, 08:36:47 pm
We are the 10th best team in the 23rd ranked conference. There are 230 teams out of 351 that are ranked ahead of us in the rpi.

Blaming this on conference changes is a good way for people to keep their jobs.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:40:27 pm by cibik02 »

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #37 on: February 24, 2017, 11:41:58 pm
Anyone who watched that game and still asks for more Benas, I don't know what to tell you.
3 pts & 3 reb , 1 steal & 1 block in only 7 minutes is not bad. Thats the same number reb Vanhook got in 31 minutes.
True, he missed 3 three throws and I'm not saying he is that good but on this team he should play a lot more

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #38 on: February 24, 2017, 11:56:44 pm

Finally the coach plays a fricken zone. Why have they not use this all year?

Niners took care of the ball and Bo had a good shooting night.

Great hustle plays by Ried Aube but let's be honest we never would been in the game if Hudson Price was available.

Where was Hudson tonight any way? Not one mention of this team winning without a key contributor or at least you
thing he would be, with the fact he averages 22 minutes a game.

elrodvt

• Walk On
Reply #39 on: February 25, 2017, 01:12:04 am

Finally the coach plays a fricken zone. Why have they not use this all year?

Niners took care of the ball and Bo had a good shooting night.

Great hustle plays by Ried Aube but let's be honest we never would been in the game if Hudson Price was available.

Where was Hudson tonight any way? Not one mention of this team winning without a key contributor or at least you
thing he would be, with the fact he averages 22 minutes a game.

Sick

elrodvt

• Walk On
Reply #40 on: February 25, 2017, 01:14:05 am

I don't remember us having any sort of success in the A-10, so lets not act like Charlotte was in prime shape.

For football I agree with you, coaches need 3 years to rebuild programs. Basketball though, that doesn't hold. You can point out a lot of coaches that make great strides at historical bad programs. Ryan Odom has UMBC (a program that hasn't broken the ten win barrier since 2008) at 18 wins as of this post. LeVelle Moton turned around a NCCU basketball program in three years from being a 5 win program to a competitive MEAC team. Kevin Keatts took a 10 win UNCW program to the NCAA tournament in two years. I could go on

Regarding Price, if the team looks the same way it does now (little to no improvement) by the end of year 3, I think you know what you're going to get with him. A meh coach.

The state of our basketball program isn't because of football, thats an excuse. Other teams in our conference (MTSU,UAB) are having success on a national stage. The state of our basketball program is because of our AD who has the inability to hire good coaches, fund-raise, market a program and engage the Charlotte community.

If we were winning and going to the NCAA tournament in the A-10, or if we were being successful in the CUSA but unable to break the NCAA tourney barrier, I could maybe see where you're coming from. But the slide of our program started long long before us moving to the C-USA. Saying things were okay until we moved into the C-USA 3.0 is just revising history.

No on said they were lighting up the A10. But now they are in a 1 bid conference. That is a huge setback both for recruiting and those of us that would like to see our team in the tournament on a regular basis.

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #41 on: February 25, 2017, 07:01:06 am
Every bball thread turns into a pissing contest. Just post pictures of your dicks so we can move on.

NinerWupAss

• Chancellor
Reply #42 on: February 25, 2017, 10:25:35 am

No on said they were lighting up the A10. But now they are in a 1 bid conference. That is a huge setback both for recruiting and those of us that would like to see our team in the tournament on a regular basis.

If we are never good enough to argue for a bid then who cares how any bids the conference gets?  When we win enough games that what is keeping us out of the tourny is the conference then we can shift dialogue.  What we have had for 12 years is a program that can't make the tournament, not because of conference affiliation, but because it is a bad basketball program. 
Mahna Mahna

MEGRNiner

• Sophomore
Reply #43 on: February 25, 2017, 03:21:35 pm
"Winning is a great deodorant..." John Madden

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos