Author Topic: Marshall Postgame  (Read 4962 times)

Hal Jordan

• Freshman
Reply #50 on: February 28, 2017, 01:03:38 pm
clt says we need to hire an assistant coach from a big 10 school. Preferably someone with good history coaching big men.

Tim Miles might be let of soon so there could be some staff members we can grab from there.
Madness is the emergency exit. You can just step outside, and close the door on all those dreadful things that happened. You can lock them away... forever.

cltniners

Reply #51 on: February 28, 2017, 01:20:34 pm
clt says we need to hire an assistant coach from a big 10 school. Preferably someone with good history coaching big men.

Tim Miles might be let of soon so there could be some staff members we can grab from there.

clt says make sure they have great hair.

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #52 on: February 28, 2017, 09:13:46 pm
Dump Price now and hire Bryan Gregory. He put together some damn good teams at Dayton.
He's now back at Michigan State as an assistant. 

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #53 on: February 28, 2017, 09:55:44 pm
Dump Price now and hire Bryan Gregory. He put together some damn good teams at Dayton.

I hope that's a joke. He is a lousy coach

dlb49er

• Walk On
Reply #54 on: February 28, 2017, 10:16:09 pm
Everyone seems to forget that Price had a short time to fill a depleted cupboard.   It may take another class or two to build it back up.  I firmly believe he is and will be a great coach.  He will bring us back to relevance. 

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 10:38:01 pm

Most Dayton fans were ecstatic when Gregory was hired away by GT. They couldn't believe their good fortune. Good recruiter, terrible game coach.

NinerNirvana

• Sophomore
Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 10:38:51 pm
Everyone seems to forget that Price had a short time to fill a depleted cupboard.   It may take another class or two to build it back up.  I firmly believe he is and will be a great coach.  He will bring us back to relevance.
I will second this sentiment.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #57 on: February 28, 2017, 10:41:58 pm
he has done no building. His inability to recruit anyone with size has taken this program to new depths. Building would imply he has put talent on the roster that needs to be developed. We don't have that. We are every bit as bad today as the day he took over...Worse honestly.

We are the worst defensive team I've ever seen. Not just at Charlotte. The worst I've seen.

We are a lot closer to being a bottom 25 program than we are to being a top 25 program sadly.

Maybe he turns it around, but he has a huge hole to dig himself out of and he's shown nothing that makes me think he can do it.

cltniners

Reply #58 on: March 01, 2017, 06:09:01 am
clt says how do we recruit a big man, when we have a lottery pick who never sees the floor?

Too bad the failing observer won't cover this.

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #59 on: March 01, 2017, 07:36:29 am
Dump an assistant, hire Curtis Withers to work with the post players, get Jay'Lyn locked up to stay at home and play,
and let him be a recruiting tool ! 
Maybe his commitment can bring in top level commits !
Then when that works out, bring in Dinkins !

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #60 on: March 01, 2017, 08:08:14 am
Yep. it's a fact, our best teams had some of the best local talent on them.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #61 on: March 01, 2017, 08:15:38 am

Very true. 
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

NinerAlum18

• Freshman
  • Class of 2018
Reply #62 on: March 01, 2017, 08:55:05 am
Yep.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #63 on: March 01, 2017, 07:45:52 pm

Most Dayton fans were ecstatic when Gregory was hired away by GT. They couldn't believe their good fortune. Good recruiter, terrible game coach.
Give me talent over a good coach any day. We have seen the last two years what no talent looks like.
8 season at Dayton 5 20plus win seasons. That sounds pretty good to me.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #64 on: March 01, 2017, 08:09:02 pm

Give me talent over a good coach any day. We have seen the last two years what no talent looks like.
Compare the years leading up to Gregory getting that job to Price coming here, the last 4 years under Purnell they went to 2 NITs and 2 NCAAs. Not even close to the same scenario Price walked into.

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #65 on: March 04, 2017, 12:10:00 am

Compare the years leading up to Gregory getting that job to Price coming here, the last 4 years under Purnell they went to 2 NITs and 2 NCAAs. Not even close to the same scenario Price walked into.
Agree, Purnell laid a good foundation. I just don't like the situation we have here. We need a complete rebuild & we have a coach with no experience at anything. I would to have an experience proven coach right now and Gregory is available.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #66 on: March 04, 2017, 06:10:54 am

Agree, Purnell laid a good foundation. I just don't like the situation we have here. We need a complete rebuild & we have a coach with no experience at anything. I would to have an experience proven coach right now and Gregory is available.

We've been in a complete rebuild since 2010. I tired of being in rebuild mode. It is hard to catch lightning in a bottle as a first or second year coach and especially at Charlotte. Outside of the late 70's when have we ever caught lightning in a bottle? It took Mullins time to build something here and that turned out pretty well. Price signed a five year contract and should be given at least four years. I'm also tried of paying coaches that don't coach here.

Iron9er

• Senior Captain
Reply #67 on: March 04, 2017, 07:03:54 am
The right coach/right hire can get you there quick in today's college bball.  Not saying we would ever make the right hire, but rebuild doesn't/shouldn't take long in this bottom run conf in today's world. 

Just look down the road at UNCW.  They had 10 wins or less 5 out of 6 years, fired a couple of coaches in that span, then hired Keatts.  In his first year, he took them from 9 to 18 wins and tied for 1st in conference.  It's only been up from there.  That job was worse than ours, they just made the right hire.  He got talent there.  Our coach is not currently doing that. 
"Congrats. You guys beat our ass last night and it was a pretty pathetic performance on the glass and downlow." - StillJonesing - December 2, 2012.

NinerT

• Walk On
Reply #68 on: March 04, 2017, 07:26:04 am
It takes time to build a program. Especially one that's been down for years. When you say there not recruiting, I disagree. Getting Davis and Jackson who were both considered hi major guards cannot be overlooked.  Do we need bigs? Yes we do! I'm saying it takes time to build

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #69 on: March 04, 2017, 08:04:21 am
It takes time to build a program. Especially one that's been down for years. When you say there not recruiting, I disagree. Getting Davis and Jackson who were both considered hi major guards cannot be overlooked.  Do we need bigs? Yes we do! I'm saying it takes time to build
if it takes you four or five years to build something, any good guys you signed at the beginning are gone before you put a team around them. Building is a gradual process. You get a little (or a lot in some cases) better each year. We aren't doing that. We are worse than ever. If we are bad again next year, Price's coaching career is over, even though we won't fire him. He's already struggling to recruit enough players despite being an NBA star. Why would anyone come play for a proven loser in a bottom 10 conference?

We need to be getting several contributors a year and we need people contributing at every position. Getting good guards is great, but they are wasting their talents coming here if we aren't going to put anyone with size around them.

It goes beyond just recruiting with this staff currently though. We are truly one of the worst defensive teams in D1. I understand Vanhook getting abused by someone 6" taller than him inside, but we are bad at defense at every position.

We have four scholarships open for next year and we will almost certainly lose at least one player to transfer just based on the prevalence of that happening in college basketball today. We have one player signed currently and he looks like the kind of guy that would probably be a bench player on most teams.

I look at what Keatts has been a le to accomplish at UNCW in only two seasons  and get really jealous. Their athletic department was an absolute wreck. They fired their AD and fired their basketball coach and now they're one of the best mid major programs in the country drawing sold out and nearly sold out crowds in a conference that has 3x as many top 100 RPI teams as ours.

cltniners

Reply #70 on: March 04, 2017, 09:14:02 am
if it takes you four or five years to build something, any good guys you signed at the beginning are gone before you put a team around them. Building is a gradual process. You get a little (or a lot in some cases) better each year. We aren't doing that. We are worse than ever. If we are bad again next year, Price's coaching career is over, even though we won't fire him. He's already struggling to recruit enough players despite being an NBA star. Why would anyone come play for a proven loser in a bottom 10 conference?

We need to be getting several contributors a year and we need people contributing at every position. Getting good guards is great, but they are wasting their talents coming here if we aren't going to put anyone with size around them.

It goes beyond just recruiting with this staff currently though. We are truly one of the worst defensive teams in D1. I understand Vanhook getting abused by someone 6" taller than him inside, but we are bad at defense at every position.

We have four scholarships open for next year and we will almost certainly lose at least one player to transfer just based on the prevalence of that happening in college basketball today. We have one player signed currently and he looks like the kind of guy that would probably be a bench player on most teams.

I look at what Keatts has been a le to accomplish at UNCW in only two seasons  and get really jealous. Their athletic department was an absolute wreck. They fired their AD and fired their basketball coach and now they're one of the best mid major programs in the country drawing sold out and nearly sold out crowds in a conference that has 3x as many top 100 RPI teams as ours.

clt says let's go hire Keats and the uncw ad

ninerrbl

• Freshman
Reply #71 on: March 04, 2017, 10:40:12 pm

We've been in a complete rebuild since 2010. I tired of being in rebuild mode. It is hard to catch lightning in a bottle as a first or second year coach and especially at Charlotte. Outside of the late 70's when have we ever caught lightning in a bottle? It took Mullins time to build something here and that turned out pretty well. Price signed a five year contract and should be given at least four years. I'm also tried of paying coaches that don't coach here.
Big difference between Price and Mullins is that Mullins was a college basketball analyst. He knew the college game by preparing for his broadcast. He talked to coaches, player and etc. This time 3 years ago Price didn't even know this university even existed. He had never been on this campus

Expectations Manager

• Athletic Director
Reply #72 on: March 06, 2017, 06:24:00 am
The attendance listed for this game was 7040. There's no way that is accurate right?

That's 2000 more than last season vs Marshall and 1200 more than last years senior night. Both on Saturdays.

Average attendance on the season dropped from 4667 to 4551.

I've found the final game attendance numbers to be very fishy....we've declined but attendance went up?

My guess is so that we didn't hit a record average low, 4367, majors final year.
Ten people who speak make more noise than ten thousand who are silent.

Ben H

• Senior
Reply #73 on: March 06, 2017, 07:55:08 am
My guess is so that we didn't hit a record average low, 4367, majors final year.

Don't worry, we will be there next year.
Ben H

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #74 on: March 06, 2017, 09:08:53 am
The attendance listed for this game was 7040. There's no way that is accurate right?

That's 2000 more than last season vs Marshall and 1200 more than last years senior night. Both on Saturdays.

Average attendance on the season dropped from 4667 to 4551.

I've found the final game attendance numbers to be very fishy....we've declined but attendance went up?

It's right, we had a great crowd. Senior night + alumni night.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos