Author Topic: Future CUSA tournament location  (Read 1191 times)

_BL_Niner

• Walk On
on: March 10, 2017, 03:14:20 pm
I just posted this on the CUSA board and most of them didn't take it seriously so I'll post it here. All I know is what we are doing now sucks and I will never attend as long as it's in a boring location like Birmingham. I'm not saying attendance would be much better but at least it'd be more fun:

"Everybody knows we need to change up the tournament location. If the conference is against hosting it at campus sites we need to come up with a more creative site. I know my family has no interest in traveling to a place like Birmingham, El Paso, or even Dallas in March. That's why I think putting it near a beach is the best option. I think this would attract a lot more families and spring breakers. I know Charlotte's spring break is always the week of the tournament and so are many other schools. Also Florida is filled with transplant metropolitan areas where it's more likely our 14 schools actually have fans.

So I think the following Florida locations would work:

Jacksonville- has a solid metro area and is 20 mins from the beach

Tampa- also has a solid metro area and has Busch Gardens and the beach

Miami- huge market/metro with great beach and party scene

Pensacola- sort of out of the box but has great beaches near by and is more centrally located

These locations would provide more of a vacation plan that would be centered around more than just the tournament. I know personally if I asked my family to go to the tournament in Birmingham they'd laugh in my face, but if I said hey let's go to the beach they'd be all in. Also you could get MORE STUDENTS/SPRING BREAKERS TO GO! I realize basically zero students would have interest in going but you gotta try I guess."
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:17:31 pm by _BL_Niner »

itsbraille49

• MemberPF
  • Assistant Coach
  • I used to be arrogant, but now I'm perfect.
    • Green Tinted Glasses
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 03:19:54 pm
I just posted this on the CUSA board and most of them didn't take it seriously so I'll post it here. All I know is what we are doing now sucks and I will never attend as long as it's in a boring location like Birmingham. I'm not saying attendance would be much better but at least it'd be more fun:

"Everybody knows we need to change up the tournament location. If the conference is against hosting it at campus sites we need to come up with a more creative site. I know my family has no interest in traveling to a place like Birmingham, El Paso, or even Dallas in March. That's why I think putting it near a beach is the best option. I think this would attract a lot more families and spring breakers. I know Charlotte's spring break is always the week of the tournament and so are many other schools. Also Florida is filled with transplant metropolitan areas where it's more likely our 14 schools actually have fans.

Pensacola- sort of out of the box but has great beaches near by and is more centrally located

These locations would provide more of a vacation plan that would be centered around more than just the tournament. I know personally if I asked my family to go to the tournament in Birmingham they'd laugh in my face, but if I said hey let's go to the beach they'd be all in. Also you could get MORE STUDENTS/SPRING BREAKERS TO GO! I realize basically zero students would have interest in going but you gotta try I guess."

New Orleans should be in this mix. It's a central location, has plenty to do, and an NBA Arena.

C-Pip's right.  About EVERYTHING.

(11:24:23) stonecoldken: CPip is the Cornbread of Engineers.

jfickett

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 03:30:39 pm
Jacksonville*

*Only if we are good.  If we are bad, and its in my hometown, I will be obligated to go and watch us be terrible in person and that is depressing.

Niner National

• Athletic Director
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 04:43:36 pm

New Orleans should be in this mix. It's a central location, has plenty to do, and an NBA Arena.
A HS arena would be sufficient for all but the championship game.

cltniners

Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 05:01:15 pm
clt suggests Gastonia

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 05:05:45 pm
They need to split the Men's and Women's events. Have them both at different on-campus facilities.

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 05:35:19 pm
Nashville is a fun town and is located within driving distance of many schools. Conference tournaments don't draw well so the size of the arena isn't that important.

9erken

• Senior Captain
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 06:03:28 pm
If the conference doesn't improve soon, then they have to go to campus sites (and actually, even the power conferences are not looking so great for earlier round games). I actually like this idea as a reward for doing better during the regular season, but it would be even better if they could convince the refs to call a fair game.

If they don't do this, I'm not sure a central location really matters as much as an airport with good connections. Because the majority of fans will be flying even to the central location. This conference is just too spread out. Given the crappy t.v. contract, I'm wondering how long it can persist, instead of reorganizing with other regional small conferences. A regional conference would be able to pick a central location and get more fans there.

cltniners

Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 08:05:17 pm
If the conference doesn't improve soon, then they have to go to campus sites (and actually, even the power conferences are not looking so great for earlier round games). I actually like this idea as a reward for doing better during the regular season, but it would be even better if they could convince the refs to call a fair game.

If they don't do this, I'm not sure a central location really matters as much as an airport with good connections. Because the majority of fans will be flying even to the central location. This conference is just too spread out. Given the crappy t.v. contract, I'm wondering how long it can persist, instead of reorganizing with other regional small conferences. A regional conference would be able to pick a central location and get more fans there.

clt says a major shakeup will happen soon. The current model is not sustainable.

amnesiac

• Junior
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 07:23:34 pm
Jim Boeheim had alot to say on this subject this week.... he said Tourney location is all about business and recruiting, he said it absolutely makes no sense to ever have the ACC tourney in Greensboro.... he said NY, DC or Atlanta is where  the money is and the recruiting.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 07:52:12 pm
Jim Boeheim had alot to say on this subject this week.... he said Tourney location is all about business and recruiting, he said it absolutely makes no sense to ever have the ACC tourney in Greensboro.... he said NY, DC or Atlanta is where  the money is and the recruiting.
I'm sure his opinion has nothing to do with Greensboro's proximity to certain schools.

elrodvt

• Walk On
Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 05:29:12 am
America East has a model they say is intended to reward best records. Each game is played at the higher seed over a couple of weeks. I said "they say" because I think whoever hosted it back when it was a traditional 4 day event probably lost money.

The conference is similar to ours in that it's not good enough to be a draw at a non school site. Not sure I like it but it's an option they should consider until the conference improves.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 10:41:00 am
I like the New Orleans option. It's a cool place for college kids to go during spring break and a tourist destination so it might get people to come out who ordinarily wouldn't if it was in Birmingham.
I saw that Frisco, TX might be a location, not sure how that is a central location except to the Texas schools. I think that'd be a terrible place for it especially if you had a match up like this yr with MTSU and Marshall both quite a ways away from Frisco.
MAKE THE NINERS GREAT AGAIN!

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 01:23:06 pm
I like the New Orleans option. It's a cool place for college kids to go during spring break and a tourist destination so it might get people to come out who ordinarily wouldn't if it was in Birmingham.
I saw that Frisco, TX might be a location, not sure how that is a central location except to the Texas schools. I think that'd be a terrible place for it especially if you had a match up like this yr with MTSU and Marshall both quite a ways away from Frisco.

Attendance last night was awful.
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #14 on: March 12, 2017, 01:50:41 pm

Not at all shocked. I like the idea of it being held on campuses, woudl certainly up the attendance numbers for sure.

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 02:25:43 pm

Not at all shocked. I like the idea of it being held on campuses, woudl certainly up the attendance numbers for sure.
Depends upon the home team making a run. Otherwise, meh.

NinerAlum18

• Sophomore
  • Class of 2018
Reply #16 on: March 12, 2017, 02:29:50 pm

Depends upon the home team making a run. Otherwise, meh.
You do bring up a good point. I mean that for me is one way to solve the attendance issues cause Birmingham or Frisco which I've heard tossed around are not the answer.

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos