Author Topic: clt says we are top 25!  (Read 2366 times)

TheShowDawg

• MemberPF
  • Senior
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 01:18:33 pm
An athletic director whose school doesn’t win at both football and basketball – or rock at the highest of levels at one of them – is an unemployed athletic director.

Someone needs to educate this fool on the UNCC, NC Charlotte, UNC-C way!!!

Hell maybe he will do a story on it.
In the Time of the Chimpanzee, I Was a Monkey....

49erAlumnus: It's been so long since we've been hated by anyone but...us.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 02:55:43 pm
It doesn't make us better, but it does make me feel better to read that Shaka Smart's "basketball team went into the tank, finishing dead last in the Big 12 going 11-22 overall and a horrendous 4-14 in the league.". Pettiness is all I have left.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 06:44:55 pm
This list holds a lot of our conference mates as well.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

FSL Owner

• Freshman
Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 07:12:37 pm
Wonder how many on this list have had the same Athletic Director for a quarter of a century.

lucky57

• Senior
Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 07:33:02 pm
25 years????? Boy,in my line of work with that track record I would have had 1...2 if the boss was a relative!

It's a damn shame that we accept such mediocrity...and mediocrity is definitely too flattering a term.

emf

• Senior
Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 08:36:37 pm
Wonder how many on this list have had the same Athletic Director for a quarter of a century.

UniversityDirector    Years
Charlotte 49ersJudy Rose
UTEP MinersBob Stull
Texas LonghornsMike Perrin (men) [2 years] / Christine Plonsky (women) [16 years]          18
Florida International Golden Panthers      Pete Garcia
Texas Tech Red RaidersKirby Hocutt
Boston College EaglesBrad Bates
Florida Atlantic OwlsPatick Chun
Miami University RedHawksDavid Sayler
Northern Illinois HuskiesSean Frazier
East Carolina PiratesJeff Compher
ULM WarhawksBrian Wickstrom
Arizona State Sun DevilsRay Anderson
Utah State AggiesJohn Hartwell
Massachusetts MinutemenRyan Bamford
Tulane Green Wave Troy Dannen
Rutgers Scarlet KnightsPat Hobbs
Mississippi State BulldogsJohn Cohen
Illinois Fighting IlliniJosh Whitman
North Texas Mean GreenWren Baker
Bowling Green FalconsBob Moosbrugger
Connecticut HuskiesDavid Benedict
Missouri TigersJim Sterk
San Jose State SpartansMarie Tuite
Oregon State BeaversScott Barnes
UNLV Rebelsvacant

UnclePugsly

• Walk On
Reply #7 on: March 12, 2017, 10:06:57 pm
Well, Mizzou got a new AD last year and is shopping for a new MBB HC and has been cleared to go over $2M/ yr to find the right one.  Oh yeah, that $40M they got from the SEC this year helps.  So Mizzou is taking corrective action. Wonder how many of the other schools mentioned are?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:10:42 pm by UnclePugsly »

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 12:48:34 am
Making this list with an AD of more than 25 years should be grounds for dismissal.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 08:05:50 am
I would say fire her, but we should probably wait for the new chancellor to do that. I don't trust Phil.

cltniners

Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 08:58:18 am
clt says judy has outlasted the belk tower on campus.

NinerPride

• Freshman
Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 08:02:28 pm
http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/25-worst-college-football-basketball-combinations-2016-2017

It's great to make the top 25 but was hoping maybe we would be #1.  We can't be the best at anything evidently

49er1

• Head Coach
  • Class of 1973
Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 09:19:02 pm
http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/25-worst-college-football-basketball-combinations-2016-2017

It's great to make the top 25 but was hoping maybe we would be #1.  We can't be the best at anything evidently

Hey! At least they know we exist and have D1 football and basketball AND (drum roll...) they called us CHARLOTTE!!  :p
"We are not here to elevate ourselves, but the institution.”
            ---- Bonnie Cone      1965 in Time magazine

" 'Reality': what a concept!"
            ---- Robin Williams

THE PRICE IS RIGHT!!!

TRLeader

• Senior
  • #1 TWill fan
Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 10:24:16 pm
I would say fire her, but we should probably wait for the new chancellor to do that. I don't trust Phil.

In the PC world we live in today....I can promise you...we will NOT (now or ever) be the school to fire a female AD.

Especially one that the school recently named a Football fieldhouse in honor of.

She is here until she quits.

Period.
CLEAN SLATE for 49er Basketball

:49ers:

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 11:28:59 pm
I hope I got this correct.  I have attempted to look at how Charlotte has fared in C-USA each year, and coded where we finished in the conference like a stop light by thirds.  Top third--green, middle--yellow, and bottom--red.  Some sports are tricky to decide where we finished, and I even found a mistake or two in C-USA's records.

If we are shooting to be a top third team then we are generally not getting there.  If we are not shooting to be a top third team we should be embarrassed.  It may be true that in some of our sports we are simply looking to graduate players and not have any arrests.  The only excuse for that is to conserve money to pay other sports, but if that is what is happening, it isn't working.

At this point I think it is too early to blame football.  Men's basketball is clearly underwater.  Volleyball is on their third coach in five years and looks like our worst sport.  I was surprised to see that we are a Women's Tennis school.  I am going to have to figure out how to go watch them because they are carrying the banner.  I thought we were a T&F/CC school too, but apparently not.

cltniners

Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 06:33:01 am
I hope I got this correct.  I have attempted to look at how Charlotte has fared in C-USA each year, and coded where we finished in the conference like a stop light by thirds.  Top third--green, middle--yellow, and bottom--red.  Some sports are tricky to decide where we finished, and I even found a mistake or two in C-USA's records.

If we are shooting to be a top third team then we are generally not getting there.  If we are not shooting to be a top third team we should be embarrassed.  It may be true that in some of our sports we are simply looking to graduate players and not have any arrests.  The only excuse for that is to conserve money to pay other sports, but if that is what is happening, it isn't working.

At this point I think it is too early to blame football.  Men's basketball is clearly underwater.  Volleyball is on their third coach in five years and looks like our worst sport.  I was surprised to see that we are a Women's Tennis school.  I am going to have to figure out how to go watch them because they are carrying the banner.  I thought we were a T&F/CC school too, but apparently not.

clt says we are a soccer and golf school

Ben H

• Senior
    • WWN
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 08:57:06 am
Nugget, thank you for posting this. I have been wanting to see something like that for a long time.

I wonder what it'd look like if we went back 10 years. I know we were pretty good at track and cross country for a while, but that may have been 15 years ago.

*edit*
I think this shows a pretty poor track record. This would get you fired most places, especially if you show how bad we were in the years prior to this. A good example of an athletic Director, IMHO, is Scott Strickland. Florida hired him away from Mississippi State and doubled his salary from $500,000 to $1 million. Dang! I think Ed McLaughlin is a good AD too. I have had some conversations with VCU alums recently and they have emphasized the amount of money, fundraising, and marketing that he has put into basketball for them.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 09:02:27 am by Ben H »

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 11:18:09 am

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #19 on: March 16, 2017, 11:25:17 am
http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/03/16/see-how-much-your-university-gets-from-corporate.html?ana=e_me_set2&s=scroll&ed=2017-03-16&u=LnfPAPiPbYIyyH8uzsKmow063775a0&t=1489674619&j=77664631

clt says read, and react in 30 words or less.

We are not in the list, but we have (had?) a deal with IMG College so it makes me think the list is wrong.  (24)

But ECU, UNC-tweetsie, and most or all of our conference mates ARE on that list. (15)

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:28:30 am by 49r9r »

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #20 on: March 16, 2017, 12:21:35 pm
http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/03/16/see-how-much-your-university-gets-from-corporate.html?ana=e_me_set2&s=scroll&ed=2017-03-16&u=LnfPAPiPbYIyyH8uzsKmow063775a0&t=1489674619&j=77664631

clt says read, and react in 30 words or less.

We are not in the list, but we have (had?) a deal with IMG College so it makes me think the list is wrong.  (24)

Apparently they still represent us.  I had to look it up, because you cannot tell by the results. (18)

cltniners

Reply #21 on: March 16, 2017, 01:08:28 pm
clt says we aren't even on the list (17)

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #22 on: March 16, 2017, 01:17:39 pm
clt says we aren't even on the list (17)

This (1)

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #23 on: March 16, 2017, 02:34:26 pm

Winning is not a priority for this admin.  It just isn't.  She is worried about the athlete's experience.  Equality among the teams.  Nice facilities.  Running a totally clean program. All kinds of things - but winning is down the list.  That isn't to say I think she wants to lose, she just doesn't put a extreme priority in winning.  Most ADs are measured by winning and fund raising.  Our's most definitely is not, but yet she still has her job.  That means our Chancellor has other priorities. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 02:38:17 pm by NinerWupAss »
Mahna Mahna

NewNiner

• Senior
Reply #24 on: March 16, 2017, 03:26:11 pm
You would think a place calling itself "College Football News" would know the difference between FCS and FBS
Hail Charlotte 49ers and Hark Upon the Gale!

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos