Author Topic: Article: Making real noise in March Madness no cheap trick  (Read 1982 times)

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 04:56:49 pm
I'm very glad to see MTSU being able to thrive under capable leadership, jealous as well.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

cltniners

Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 04:57:51 pm
clt prefers newsletters.

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 10:09:19 am
Everyone should read this article.  I was especially taken by MTSU's AD's comments.

"If we want to have a big-time basketball program with a national brand, then we need a more robust Blue Raider Athletic Association and we have to fill Murphy Center. When you look at programs we benchmark, like Wichita State, VCU and Butler, those are things that separate us. We had an attendance increase this past season and we appreciate the growth, but we need an even deeper commitment."

Who do we benchmark?  I am not being snarky, I simply mean that it makes sense that you cannot hit the target if you do not have one.
#unc-CHeatingPays

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:20:40 am
Everyone should read this article.  I was especially taken by MTSU's AD's comments.

"If we want to have a big-time basketball program with a national brand, then we need a more robust Blue Raider Athletic Association and we have to fill Murphy Center. When you look at programs we benchmark, like Wichita State, VCU and Butler, those are things that separate us. We had an attendance increase this past season and we appreciate the growth, but we need an even deeper commitment."

Who do we benchmark?  I am not being snarky, I simply mean that it makes sense that you cannot hit the target if you do not have one.
From what I understand, we benchmark against CUSA schools when comparing budgets, attendance, etc. If we want to take a leap forward, I feel we should be comparing to the mid to upper AAC schools.

Wingate49erFan

• Sophomore
Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 04:35:19 pm

From what I understand, we benchmark against CUSA schools when comparing budgets, attendance, etc. If we want to take a leap forward, I feel we should be comparing to the mid to upper AAC schools.
At one point we were ahead of all of these schools  :(
If Charlotte was serious about basketball, we should have been benchmarking Gonzaga after original CUSA blew up. At one point in 2005, we were once thought to be the 18th best program in the nation...It is absurd how far the bar has been lowered since then.
Got Lutz?

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 04:43:22 pm

If Charlotte was serious about basketball, we should have been benchmarking Gonzaga after original CUSA blew up. At one point in 2005, we were once thought to be the 18th best program in the nation...It is absurd how far the bar has been lowered since then.

While Judy will hang most of this blame on Bobby, the reality this is entirely on her. 
Mahna Mahna

Wingate49erFan

• Sophomore
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 09:08:59 pm

While Judy will hang most of this blame on Bobby, the reality this is entirely on her.
Yep. Most of this stuff has to do with the athletic department and their vision and implementation of it.
In reality, Bobby probably kept our head above water longer when we should have been drowning.
Man, it's just getting too depressing talking about Niner Basketball. My only hope at this point is that the football team gets decent enough to get an invite to the AAC.
Got Lutz?

NinerWupAss

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 10:51:57 am

Yep. Most of this stuff has to do with the athletic department and their vision and implementation of it.
In reality, Bobby probably kept our head above water longer when we should have been drowning.
Man, it's just getting too depressing talking about Niner Basketball. My only hope at this point is that the football team gets decent enough to get an invite to the AAC.

Just imagine how depressing it would be if we didn't have football.  Sure we would still be in the A10, but we would be losing probably even more.
Mahna Mahna

sportsman1417

• MemberPF
  • Junior
Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 11:01:57 am
If you add in football losses probably not.

bleedsgreenandgold

• Senior Captain
Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 11:31:24 am

I'm jealous of MT's basketball success but not their fan support, it's horrible. I know Halton would be 8K-9K deep if we had their recent run.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 12:31:51 pm

Just imagine how depressing it would be if we didn't have football.  Sure we would still be in the A10, but we would be losing probably even more.

Losing more than we did those last years in the A10 under Major would be difficult to do.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

4ever niner

• Assistant Coach
Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 10:04:17 pm

Losing more than we did those last years in the A10 under Major would be difficult to do.
Oh, stop managing your expectations. You know we could do it.  ;D

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos