Author Topic: Class of 2017 MBB recruiting thread  (Read 13638 times)

JaMiNNiNeR

• Senior
Reply #50 on: April 20, 2017, 10:37:50 pm
JR Davis JR White SR Ajukwa SR Price FR Murphy SO Garvin

Add Haslem, Supica,Bryant Thomas, Devarte

Cant be worse than last year

We'll see. Garvin, Price and somewhat White should be coming off bench, not starting at this point. It'll be interesting to see how the roster plays out but to say it's better because new unproven players coming in is kinda reaching for the stars imo.

Tintin

• Senior
Reply #51 on: April 20, 2017, 10:41:00 pm
It's been a while since I have felt this positive about the future of 49er basketball.  It's a great feeling.

What makes you feel so positive? Serious question. We signed a juco and a guy from Canada right? Am I missing anyone? Neither guy had great d1 offers right. Correct me if I'm wrong, this is all I have to go off of. I hope both blow it up on the court but isn't that like 25/75?

As of now I'm holding to my "worse than last year" expectation until proven otherwise. We lost a lot from an already bad team.

We are bringing back all five starters.  We are now recruiting a bench.  We've recruited a tall toolsy bench with upside.
FSL Owner since February 2nd, 2009

Threemire09

• Junior
    • http://www.careerbuilder.com/monk-e-mail/?mid=9218348
Reply #52 on: April 20, 2017, 10:48:00 pm
I'd guess our starters to be JD, White,Ajukwa, Garvin, Haslem

Pretty solid
All time Favorite 49er Team
PG Sean Colson
SG Brendan Plavich
SF Eddie Basden
PF Demarco Johnson
F Cornbread
BN Diego
BN Leemire
BN Jobey
BN Lang
BN Dinkins

cltniners

Reply #53 on: April 20, 2017, 11:10:05 pm
clt says no beans, no beuno.

NinerWupAss

• Gulag
  • Chancellor
Reply #54 on: April 21, 2017, 12:24:38 am
JR Davis JR White SR Ajukwa SR Price FR Murphy SO Garvin

Add Haslem, Supica,Bryant Thomas, Devarte

Cant be worse than last year

We'll see. Garvin, Price and somewhat White should be coming off bench, not starting at this point. It'll be interesting to see how the roster plays out but to say it's better because new unproven players coming in is kinda reaching for the stars imo.

Too early to throw in towel on White.  IMO the foot injury really hurt him this past season.
Mahna Mahna

mojoniner

• Walk On
Reply #55 on: April 21, 2017, 07:34:32 am
would love to get Maye and Lazenby

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #56 on: April 21, 2017, 07:35:07 am
I am not sure why some are so excited about this class.  We have filled some holes with big men, but most were lightly recruited so I am not sure they are any better than what we had on the bench last year in two 7'.  We lost a few players that graduated and a transfer, so we may be worse next year than we were this year.

I hope I am wrong, but we have to have another guard and hope a couple of the bigs can play or we will be seeing Price at the 4 all year again and that means we are going to get killed down low.

cibik02

• Head Coach
Reply #57 on: April 21, 2017, 07:39:14 am
It's been a while since I have felt this positive about the future of 49er basketball.  It's a great feeling.

What makes you feel so positive? Serious question. We signed a juco and a guy from Canada right? Am I missing anyone? Neither guy had great d1 offers right. Correct me if I'm wrong, this is all I have to go off of. I hope both blow it up on the court but isn't that like 25/75?

As of now I'm holding to my "worse than last year" expectation until proven otherwise. We lost a lot from an already bad team.

We are bringing back all five starters.  We are now recruiting a bench.  We've recruited a tall toolsy bench with upside.

We lost BO and Vanhook. Jackson started a few games I believe as well.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:41:03 am by cibik02 »

Submarley734

• Senior
Reply #58 on: April 21, 2017, 01:42:43 pm

Sometimes losing a lot from an already bad team isn't such a bad thing.

NinerAdvocate

• MemberPF
  • Chancellor
    • http://ansonw.bol.ucla.edu/games/MiniPutt3.html
Reply #59 on: April 21, 2017, 01:44:26 pm
So far we've mainly replaced guards with big men so it's hard to guess.
Charlotte 49ers - TITLE IX CHAMPIONS, July 1, 1990- Present!

Official 49ers AD Moto: Minimum Necessarium Esse, Nihil Magis

https://i.imgur.com/74Mcl1t.jpg

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #60 on: April 21, 2017, 02:22:53 pm
I have no idea if these recruits are going to be any good, but it appears that we will be a better balanced team than last year.
Hey 49er undergrads, you are bigger than UNC-CH.  Start acting like it!

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #61 on: April 21, 2017, 02:27:34 pm
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.  Green tinted shades.
Charlotte 49er Campus Beer Drinking Contest Runner Up 1974, 1975, 1976

cltniners

Reply #62 on: April 21, 2017, 03:58:05 pm
clt says we already miss beans. Beans was the leader of the locker room

ninerJ

• Walk On
Reply #63 on: April 21, 2017, 05:43:00 pm
Lazenby commits to Oklahoma, go get Maye !

JB

• Sophomore
Reply #64 on: April 21, 2017, 11:53:01 pm

OU first made contact with Lazenby on Sunday, he signs on Friday.  That's a different world than the one we recruit in.
"Frankly I'm not going to deal with head cases.  Life is too short." - Mark Price

austinniner

• Senior
Reply #65 on: April 22, 2017, 02:03:37 pm

OU first made contact with Lazenby on Sunday, he signs on Friday.  That's a different world than the one we recruit in.

Sad thing is, that used to not be the case.  Not an even playing field anymore.
"Noon is tough for friggin fans" - Brad Lambert

ninerfan55

• Assistant Coach
Reply #66 on: April 22, 2017, 03:33:11 pm
in all fairness, he had other solid power five offers, like psu, utah and texas tech but oklahoma is the big school in the state and he is an oklahoma kid. it sounded like we were the leaders before ok jumped in, so it is not like we were competing and possibly ahead of a bunch of bad schools.

moss2k

• Administrator
  • Chancellor
  • @_agent49
    • Agent49.net
Reply #67 on: April 23, 2017, 12:36:54 pm

Sad thing is, that used to not be the case.  Not an even playing field anymore.
Ghost of Von Wafer.

Ben H

• Senior
Reply #68 on: April 24, 2017, 08:33:38 am
I was very critical of Price this past season.

While it remains to be seen if this recruiting class will be enough I will say that he is at least trying to address our needs. This team should be more balanced than last year. For that reason alone I am looking forward to the start of the next season.
Ben H

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #69 on: April 24, 2017, 09:35:56 am

While it remains to be seen if this recruiting class will be enough I will say that he is at least trying to address our needs. This team should be more balanced than last year. For that reason alone I am looking forward to the start of the next season.

I know that I could find examples of anything to compare Price to and they really mean nothing, but just down the road Bob McKillop went 4-24, 10-19, 11-17, 14-14 before he got to the NIT on a 22-8 record.  Since then he has done pretty well.  I remind myself of this when I am losing my patience.  I remind myself of this often during the season.  Here's hoping that Price has turned the corner.

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #70 on: April 24, 2017, 12:43:10 pm

I know that I could find examples of anything to compare Price to and they really mean nothing, but just down the road Bob McKillop went 4-24, 10-19, 11-17, 14-14 before he got to the NIT on a 22-8 record.  Since then he has done pretty well.  I remind myself of this when I am losing my patience.  I remind myself of this often during the season.  Here's hoping that Price has turned the corner.

Good point.  It's also worth noting that it took both Foster and Mullins a year or 2 to get us into winning mode.  And It took Coach K a while at Duke.  Same with Dave Odom at Wake when he turned them around.  And none of those coaches had to start with pratically nothing like Price did.

earlyniner

• Senior
Reply #71 on: April 24, 2017, 01:08:53 pm

Good point.  It's also worth noting that it took both Foster and Mullins a year or 2 to get us into winning mode.  And It took Coach K a while at Duke.  Same with Dave Odom at Wake when he turned them around.  And none of those coaches had to start with pratically nothing like Price did.

foster had norris dae and maybe a half-way serviceable guard but not much else as i recall.  talk about starting from scratch!   he was exactly in lambert's shoes that first year.   began with slow white boys running a very deliberate O.
"Trouble?  Life is trouble!  If you want to live--you go out and LOOK for trouble!"  (Zorba the Greek)

"Hold my beer and watch this s***!"

Nugget

• Assistant Coach
Reply #72 on: April 24, 2017, 01:21:10 pm

At this point comparing Price to Coach K or Dean is not very instructive, but Davidson would have been a tough place to recruit to prior to Steph, yet McKillop found a way to win through coaching rather than recruiting (like 'ol Roy).  Price is going to have to do the same, getting diamonds in the rough and polishing them.

woodniner

• Sophomore
Reply #73 on: April 24, 2017, 04:14:10 pm
Where did QJ end up after transferring from Charlotte? 

49r9r

• Head Coach
Reply #74 on: April 24, 2017, 04:24:18 pm
How many schollies do we have left now?

* Charlotte 49ers News

* State of Charlotte

* Videos